• C

Votes: 36 28.6%
  • F-

Votes: 86 68.3%

• Total voters

bruce

Contributor
the infrastructure is nearly third world
What is the third world? Have you been there? It actually hasn't existed for over 40 years. Some so called third world countries are really wealthy, especially compared to NZ. What we do have is a shocking cost of living.

Reactions: 4 users
That is why those players careers were or all mediocre and will not be remembered as stars.

It's a case of Mateo who? We all remember the names Price, Wiki and Luck.
Only to us.

In their home towns those guys I mentioned are absolute legends. They made a small fortune playing footy. That's all they care about.

Not the fans, not the rings, nothing that we think is good.

Finals footy is just extra work for no extra pay. That's why they bar up for the top teams sometimes, because it helps them in their contract negotiations beating the Storm or the Roosters. And they only need 2 or 3 big wins a season to keep the gravy flowing. After that, they are probably betting against us and throwing games. It wouldn't surprise me.

You go to the matches. Just look at the size, speed and skill of our players, how do you think they got signed in the first place? Look at what they can do when they are in the mood. The following would make a top 4 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Fusitua, Harris, Au Mau and Afoa. Top eight Maumolo, Hiku, bottom eight Green, Chanel Harris-Tavita, Herbert, Papaili, Paasi and Jazz.

Blair wouldn't make it anywhere. Based on the above we should be further up the ladder.
You know as well as anyone that size, speed and skill are only part of the equation, however relative to other teams our boys aren't any of those things. Sure our forward pack has some big units however I'd trade any of them for John Bateman. We certainly don't have much in the way of skill - Green put in one of the worst 'senior halves' performances I've seen in a long time. Who has genuine speed other than Roger Tuivasa-Sheck? Face it bruce our team is shit.

Reactions: 2 users
Bringing up speed is like my cue to jump in and sound like a broken record. We need it badly.

We seem to run out of ideas in attack so quickly and then amble to the end of the game, but speed is the one thing you can't sleep on or counter and it can pull you out of the fire.

Same with superior skill, but sadly we lack there too.

Reactions: 7 users

bruce

Contributor
You know as well as anyone that size, speed and skill are only part of the equation, however relative to other teams our boys aren't any of those things. Sure our forward pack has some big units however I'd trade any of them for John Bateman. We certainly don't have much in the way of skill - Green put in one of the worst 'senior halves' performances I've seen in a long time. Who has genuine speed other than Roger Tuivasa-Sheck? Face it bruce our team is shit.
Bateman is a skinny little Pom with a hard head, good on him.

I will just add I was talking to an Aussie mate of mine, who knows nothing about NRL he is a an AFL fan. He knew Andy Platt when he was here. Every Thursday he, Betts and another import used to spend Thursday after training drinking themselves stupid at home. He was not impressed, neither am I. Poms are not welcome in my team. I couldn't care if Heyzeuss himself was a bloody Pom.

Our backs are not the problem right now, it is our forward pack. Ah Mau is doing the job, so is Afoa and Harris. What about the rest, and they are not small. I would not want to be hit by Papaili, Blair is a big guy too. It is a mental problem as alluded to by SK, but all this pack were signed by him. He has to carry the can for that.

You mention speed, Fusitua isn't slow and Ken is slow off the mark but when he get going he is ok. Hiku isn't slow nor his Chanel Harris-Tavita. Green was carrying a groin injury and was let down by his forwards. Nikorima will add genuine speed from close in, but if he is getting belted by forwards as well it might not help much.

I have been harsh on the ISP side, but there are some goers in that team Riki and Frie for starters. Are they worth a go? I don't know but something has to happen.

Reactions: 1 user

bruce

Contributor
Bringing up speed is like my cue to jump in and sound like a broken record. We need it badly.

We seem to run out of ideas in attack so quickly and then amble to the end of the game, but speed is the one thing you can't sleep on or counter and it can pull you out of the fire.

Same with superior skill, but sadly we lack there too.
This side is lacking in confidence and intensity. Maybe it is the game plan, who knows?

Bateman is a skinny little Pom with a hard head, good on him.

I will just add I was talking to an Aussie mate of mine, who knows nothing about NRL he is a an AFL fan. He knew Andy Platt when he was here. Every Thursday he, Betts and another import used to spend Thursday after training drinking themselves stupid at home. He was not impressed, neither am I. Poms are not welcome in my team. I couldn't care if Heyzeuss himself was a bloody Pom.

Our backs are not the problem right now, it is our forward pack. Ah Mau is doing the job, so is Afoa and Harris. What about the rest, and they are not small. I would not want to be hit by Papaili, Blair is a big guy too. It is a mental problem as alluded to by SK, but all this pack were signed by him. He has to carry the can for that.

You mention speed, Fusitua isn't slow and Ken is slow off the mark but when he get going he is ok. Hiku isn't slow nor his Chanel Harris-Tavita. Green was carrying a groin injury and was let down by his forwards. Nikorima will add genuine speed from close in, but if he is getting belted by forwards as well it might not help much.

I have been harsh on the ISP side, but there are some goers in that team Riki and Frie for starters. Are they worth a go? I don't know but something has to happen.
Bateman is under 100kg and, current fractured eye socket aside, is so far ahead of any of our forwards it isn't funny.

Reactions: 3 users

If you rank the backlines for speed, where do we sit? I have us bottom four.

And it's not just the backs, our forwards are slow too.

I struggle to think of a team that is slower than us overall.

If you rank the backlines for speed, where do we sit? I have us bottom four.

And it's not just the backs, our forwards are slow too.

I struggle to think of a team that is slower than us overall.

Some speedsters in the ISP backline but they're not that big. With our penchant and need for a couple of wingers over a 100kg in the first grade side I can't see outside back pace being something we will ever have.

In saying that, Herbert looks quick and Hiku can move.

They have the talent in spades, they don't have the mentality...big time. Deep down they don't care. Call it church, call it family, call it what you like, they just don't care about winning. It isn't all of them, just a few, so it can be sorted with the boot.
maybe they should be playing darts or dominos. If what your saying is true Bruce we need to punt the culprits and replace them with some NSW & QLD country lads. Sure might not be as talented but you know they'll be giving there guts every week.

Reactions: 1 users

Mr Frank White

Contributor
What is the third world? Have you been there? It actually hasn't existed for over 40 years. Some so called third world countries are really wealthy, especially compared to NZ. What we do have is a shocking cost of living.
If I used the term Global South, I'm not sure people would have known what I was talking about.

Regardless, it seems obvious that NZ and the Warriors are not an attractive option.

Is the shoulder charge legal again now?

Michael Burgess NZ herald:
But the Knights always looked more likely, though they were fortunate that a blatant James Gavet shoulder charge – that took Burr out of the match for a time went unpunished.
Shoulder Charge definition:
As part of a change to the Judiciary and Match Review system, a player will be charged if:

• The contact is forceful, and;
• The player did not use, or attempt to use, his arms (including his hands) to tackle or otherwise take hold of the opposing player.

NRL Head of Football Brian Canavan said the amendment clarified and simplified the definition of a shoulder charge.

"This change will make it easier for everyone involved in the game to understand what does and does not constitute a shoulder charge," Mr Canavan said.

YEAH RIGHT!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
We are incredibly slow, Fusitua got run down by Ben Hampton in the cowboys game and it happened over about 20 meters.

I don’t think we’ve scored a try from inside our own half since round one, something we used to take for granted with Shaun Johnson.

We are incredibly slow, Fusitua got run down by Ben Hampton in the cowboys game and it happened over about 20 meters.

I don’t think we’ve scored a try from inside our own half since round one, something we used to take for granted with Shaun Johnson.

Yup and it's not just top end speed. A guy like Michael Jennings doesn't have high top end speed but his initial acceleration and ability to maintain speed while changing angles is fantastic.

Our guys (backs and forwards) are so obsessed/drilled about being battering rams we only move in a straight line.

Nikorima will help. He's more about acceleration than top end speed but every bit helps.

Am i the only one that thinks Papalii is overrated and doesn't offer much ?
The Storm game he was great in defence, I think he is suffering 2nd year syndrome and packed on too much weight in the offseason. Its gonna be a tough year for him but I think h is still going to be a good defensive forward, doesnt add much in attack.