Team List NRL 2019 Round 23 -Sharks vs Warriors TEAM LIST

Game Information

01 Jan 1970 12:00PM

# Player Player #

Status
Not open for further replies.
What were the figures in 2017? Need to know how much of that drop was results driven.

Not even sure how that would disagree with me. All I've said is that we're the worst club/fanbase for playing the victim. Wouldn't a large drop in sooky viewers do more to back me up on that than disprove me?
In all seriousness, the drop off is across the whole comp but more noticeable in NZ. I believe it’s a combination of factors including:

Rule changes/ game going soft
Inconsistencies of refs/ judiciary
Same teams always at the top/ structural advantages
The wrestle coming into the game
Increasing cost of access to the product
Off field player indiscretions
Etc, etc

All comes back to the leadership of the sport

Reactions: 3 users
In all seriousness, the drop off is across the whole comp but more noticeable in NZ. I believe it’s a combination of factors including:

Etc, etc

Agree. People are tuning out across the board for a variety of reasons, some the NRL could definitely take more control over.

I also think the season is just too long. Right now it's that lull period where most people just want to see finals.

Sport fatigue might also be a factor for the casuals. CWC, upcoming RWC. There's been a lot crammed into this year.

The 15% dropoff I would think is more due to our poor play and our horribly boring style of play, than people being upset by the Warriors reffing.

League as a whole though is not as exciting as it has been for me. Ruck speed in particular needs to be sorted out.

Reactions: 8 users
I think that true NZ league follower folks (and some selected Aussie ones) are pretty pissed off with the inconsistencies of the reff-ing, the MRC and the judiciary, leaving the results open to significant manipulation. Hence, the game spectacle falls merely into the crowded 'entertainment' space rather than true contact sport based around a set of pretty clear rules that equally apply to all teams.
It was a huge step backwards last year when opinion of the Sydney press and lobbyists 'forced' the organisation to go back to interpretation after around 8 rounds of a perceived penalty blitz as it was damaging the game... duh?
Strangely enough, this coincided with our drop off in results too. Could be entirely a coincidence... or not?

Reactions: 4 users

Etc, etc

The single biggest factor in Australia is the decline in fTA tv across the board and nothing to do with NRL

Reactions: 2 users
It was a huge step backwards last year when opinion of the Sydney press and lobbyists 'forced' the organisation to go back to interpretation after around 8 rounds of a perceived penalty blitz as it was damaging the game... duh?
Strangely enough, this coincided with our drop off in results too. Could be entirely a coincidence... or not?

I agree, it also coincided with a dramatic upturn in results for both the Storm and Roosters. Storm were about 5th and Roosters about 7th when the crackdown stopped.

Reactions: 1 user
What were the figures in 2017? Need to know how much of that drop was results driven.

Not even sure how that would disagree with me. All I've said is that we're the worst club/fanbase for playing the victim. Wouldn't a large drop in sooky viewers do more to back me up on that than disprove me?
Blake Green must be a sooky victim too after his comments directed at the refs a few weeks ago. Mark Graham also for revealing a story about comments directed at a warriors player years ago and the nrl concerned how he came to obtain the recording rather than the poor comments. It's one thing when the fans call out the refs but when ex players make noises about " the worst officiating in 25 years"thats more compelling. The Warriors this year have received apologies for 2 forward passes against the Sharks in a one point victory that could have cost that match. An apology for a dud call that cost the game with Melbourne. An apology for calls against the eels for ball stripping rulings wrongly adjudicated. The forward pass a 50/50 call. An apology for Peta Hiku unable to get back in the line of defence leading to a try against the Knights. Although just a players view but Manase Fainu disagreeing with Adam Blair sin bin and another sin bin against Titans that could have cost the game albeit another contentious call. Those are some that have stood out to me anyway. While I am commenting on these I do agree that the Warriors don't go blameless and can be their own worst enemy at times and often put pressure on themselves with poor errors etc at times.

Reactions: 2 users
Blake Green must be a sooky victim too after his comments directed at the refs a few weeks ago. Mark Graham also for revealing a story about comments directed at a warriors player years ago and the nrl concerned how he came to obtain the recording rather than the poor comments. It's one thing when the fans call out the refs but when ex players make noises about " the worst officiating in 25 years"thats more compelling. The Warriors this year have received apologies for 2 forward passes against the Sharks in a one point victory that could have cost that match. An apology for a dud call that cost the game with Melbourne. An apology for calls against the eels for ball stripping rulings wrongly adjudicated. The forward pass a 50/50 call. An apology for Peta Hiku unable to get back in the line of defence leading to a try against the Knights. Although just a players view but Manase Fainu disagreeing with Adam Blair sin bin and another sin bin against Titans that could have cost the game albeit another contentious call. Those are some that have stood out to me anyway. While I am commenting on these I do agree that the Warriors don't go blameless and can be their own worst enemy at times and often put pressure on themselves with poor errors etc at times.

Forward passes. FFS sake that's a god awful argument. Those are just Russian Roulette every game, every week. Copping two bad ones in a game sucks, but I would bet I could find a few Warriors close wins with some questionable passes.

Monty Betham is absolutely a sook with his "worst in 25 years comment".

Now go to other fan forums and ask them about their list of grievances or apologies. I bet they could come up with a list too.

And seriously, a 50/50 call? The definition of a 50/50 is that it can go either way. Do you get angry at a coin if you call heads and it comes up tails?

Blair sin bin, there were two others that we're just as bad, even worse that weekend. Other teams cop it.

Remember the debate isn't about whether or not the refs have been bad, it's a debate over whether there is unfair bias against us.

Listing things that are happening in other games to other teams is really not a compelling argument of unfair bias.

Reactions: 6 users
Forward passes. FFS sake that's a god awful argument. Those are just Russian Roulette every game, every week. Copping two bad ones in a game sucks, but I would bet I could find a few Warriors close wins with some questionable passes.

Now go to other fan forums and ask them about their list of grievances or apologies. I bet they could come up with a list too.

And seriously, a 50/50 call? The definition of a 50/50 is that it can go either way. Do you get angry at a coin if you call heads and it comes up tails?

Blair sin bin, there were two others that we're just as bad, even worse that weekend. Other teams cop it.

Remember the debate isn't about whether or not the refs have been bad, it's a debate over whether there is unfair bias against us.

Listing things that are happening in other games to other teams is really not a compelling argument of unfair bias.

I agree with some of what you said. I did not have a problem with Blair going to the sin bin.

However there is clear bias by some of the referees (not all) against the Warriors. Some referees are fair to all teams.
You are right in that happens for some other teams too. But hardly ever for the Storm, Roosters, Broncos etc.

There is a clear subconscious bias by some referees to favour certain "protected" teams. If nearly all 50/50 calls go against a team every game you start to suspect bias.

There is also a clear bias at the judiciary which favours players from certain teams and punishes players from other clubs. We have seen that this year with the Sam Burgess decision and many others.

The NRL has got a lot of work to do to make sure everything is fair to all teams and players across the board.

The standard of refereeing this year has been shocking to be honest. So it can be difficult to tell sometimes if it is bias or incompetence.

edit: - this does not excuse our poor tactics and game plan this year. I don't think we have been playing well enough to make the 8 this year.

I agree with some of what you said. I did not have a problem with Blair going to the sin bin.

However there is clear bias by some of the referees (not all) against the Warriors. Some referees are fair to all teams.
You are right in that happens for some other teams too. But hardly ever for the Storm, Roosters, Broncos etc.

There is a clear subconscious bias by some referees to favour certain "protected" teams. If nearly all 50/50 calls go against a team every game you start to suspect bias.

There is also a clear bias at the judiciary which favours players from certain teams and punishes players from other clubs. We have seen that this year with the Sam Burgess decision and many others.

The NRL has got a lot of work to do to make sure everything is fair to all teams and players across the board.

The standard of refereeing this year has been shocking to be honest. So it can be difficult to tell sometimes if it is bias or incompetence.

edit: - this does not excuse our poor tactics and game plan this year. I don't think we have been playing well enough to make the 8 this year.

I used to subscribe to the subconscious bias thing too (to a degree I still do). A few years ago if you had asked me I would have said that the Warriors, Raiders, Cowboys are the 3 teams who consistently cop it the worst.

The media pressure is so high in Sydney/Brisbane that when the refs don't see it clearly or they have to make a 50/50, it just became easier to go against the team that is out of sight, out of mind.

The main thing that pulled me from that mindset is that the two teams I had us grouped with, one has made the top 4 twice since, the other has made two grand finals and won a premiership.

So people can complain all they want, and yeah I get frustrated during games too when it happens, but other teams got over it and produced. Until we do any complaints just ring hollow.

Reactions: 4 users
The single biggest factor in Australia is the decline in fTA tv across the board and nothing to do with NRL

The article is garbage about TV viewers dropping off. Especially now that games can be streamed live on alot cheaper deal.

Next TV rights, will also factor in the rights to stream games. Foxtel and free to air are away pf these challenges to vieiwing figures. Across 22 rounds so far that is 150k per week drop off.

The cost for Foxtel is too expensive . Since i moved house ive dropped down to one set only and chopped some packages in order to save money.

Last edited:
I used to subscribe to the subconscious bias thing too (to a degree I still do). A few years ago if you had asked me I would have said that the Warriors, Raiders, Cowboys are the 3 teams who consistently cop it the worst.

The media pressure is so high in Sydney/Brisbane that when the refs don't see it clearly or they have to make a 50/50, it just became easier to go against the team that is out of sight, out of mind.

The main thing that pulled me from that mindset is that the two teams I had us grouped with, one has made the top 4 twice since, the other has made two grand finals and won a premiership.

So people can complain all they want, and yeah I get frustrated during games too when it happens, but other teams got over it and produced. Until we do any complaints just ring hollow.

An influential player like Thurston would not stand for refs playing favourites and they never would against a future immortal but Paul Green has had a bit to say against the reffing this year as did Ricky Stuart last year. Must concede though that the common denominator to those teams and the Warriors is they were losing(Canberra last year and Cowboys and Warriors this year).

Reactions: 1 users
The article is garbage about TV viewers dropping off. Especially now that games can be streamed live on alot cheaper deal.

Next TV rights, will also factor in the rights to stream games. Foxtel and free to air are away pf these challenges to vieiwing figures. Across 22 rounds so far that is 150k per week drop off.

The cost for Foxtel is too expansive. Since i moved house ive dropped down to one set only and chopped some packages in order to save money.

Yup, I stream every game through my TV on Kayo, even the ones simulcast on Nine.

Viewing figures on platforms that are starting to become outdated aren't necessarily a true reflection on eyeballs watching.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup, I stream every game through my TV on Kayo, even the ones simulcast on Nine.

Viewing figures on platforms that are starting to become outdated aren't necessarily a true reflection on eyeballs watching.

Totally agree. I'd switch in a heartbeat to Kayo if I thought the internet connection was more consistent.

Out of interest on your TV do you have LAN connection or Wi-Fi. Our Wi-Fi can be hit and miss at times.

Totally agree. I'd switch in a heartbeat to Kayo if I thought the internet connection was more consistent.

Out of interest on your TV do you have LAN connection or Wi-Fi. Our Wi-Fi can be hit and miss at times.

I tried both.

Had more trouble with LAN. If the TV was turned off overnight and then turned on I'd often have to reset the LAN to get it going.

Granted that's probably more a TV quirk than LAN, but as far as quality, no problems on either.

One thing that worked for me when I lived in a bad WiFi area was replacing the cheap Telco router they sent with my plan for a half decent one. Got more consistency out of it.

Forward passes do happen but they shouldn't decide the outcome of a match. Why not use the technology that was put forward only in try scoring situations and take the controversy out of it.
If I flick a coin and it keeps landing on the same side I want to have a real good look at that coin.
Did you think Blake Greens comments were out of line and and Mark Graham had any right putting that story out there?

I tried both.

Had more trouble with LAN. If the TV was turned off overnight and then turned on I'd often have to reset the LAN to get it going.

Granted that's probably more a TV quirk than LAN, but as far as quality, no problems on either.

One thing that worked for me when I lived in a bad WiFi area was replacing the cheap Telco router they sent with my plan for a half decent one. Got more consistency out of it.

Thanks for the tip. I'm definately going to try kayo out. Every dollar saved adds up.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
i have been watching foxtell via the net. no set top box. I have a ping of 11 and a download bandwidth of 92.
foxtell regularly plays up, freezes, and lags during games. once it hits round an hour i can almost always predict problems. i close and restart foxtell and it solves thebissue. its pretty disapointing, but cheaper than having a set top box. will move to kayo next year

Anywayssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Team for this week looks ok. Interesting read with Kodi on stuff. He was always coming here to be a half but he would be great as a Hohaia type player. I can see him getting pretty shitty if he is pushed into that role. Which makes me wonder if you are in a team are you not just stoked to be in first grade and to be part of hopefully a team that can progress to be great. Rather than wanting to be in a position that is celebrated more than a utility is? Be interesting to see how he goes and if he puts that effort in. His eyes up with Chanel Harris-Tavita getting some space. Could be good.

Forward passes do happen but they shouldn't decide the outcome of a match. Why not use the technology that was put forward only in try scoring situations and take the controversy out of it.
If I flick a coin and it keeps landing on the same side I want to have a real good look at that coin.
Did you think Blake Greens comments were out of line and and Mark Graham had any right putting that story out there?
Why were Greens comments out of line?
Why can't a former Kiwi great say what he wants?

I don't agree with the bias argument
I think victims in most cases set themselves up for victim hood.
By allowing themselves to be victims .By not standing up for themselves
Through lack of knowledge .
Refs are human an can be swayed manipulated an played like anyone else.
If Green wants to work the ref good on him.
Just a shame his technique is Ineffectual. Probably counterproductive.
Human behavior is a very simple science.
An a good leader can consistently get the best out of his own
Team an deal effectively with clients or Refs in this case .

Status
Not open for further replies.