Game Information

01 Jan 1970 12:00PM

# Player Player #

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you see that lineup or at least when I see it
I don’t think we need to recruit for much to make the eight next year
Just need a bit more depth to replace what we are losing

If we can just get on a winning roll then players will get on board and so will the refs as the refs shaft lowly placed teams. My opinion only on the ref theory

Every year teams 6-12 are inconsistent and generally mediocre for a variety of reasons.

Making the 8 isn't really an accomplishment as much as it's an acknowledgement you just had a bit more luck than the teams that missed out.

This team is a scrape into the 8 team at best. Hardly a high bar.

Need several changes/upgrades before we are a top 6 team who is actually superior to the ones below us.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Every year teams 6-12 are inconsistent and generally mediocre for a variety of reasons.

Making the 8 isn't really an accomplishment as much as it's an acknowledgement you just had a bit more luck than the teams that missed out.

Need several changes/upgrades before we are a top 6 team who is actually superior to the ones below us.
IMO the starting side isnt to bad, if Harris were included and they could go 8-10 games with no injuries, I think you would see a pretty good result. However I have no idea with Luke, Teevanga and Green all in that side, how they could go 8-10 weeks with out injury. I also question if Herbert is the answer on the right, given that hes only had 3 games there he is still such an unkown.

Reactions: Worried2Death
IMO the starting side isnt to bad, if Harris were included and they could go 8-10 games with no injuries, I think you would see a pretty good result. However I have no idea with Luke, Teevanga and Green all in that side, how they could go 8-10 weeks with out injury. I also question if Herbert is the answer on the right, given that hes only had 3 games there he is still such an unkown.

We probably would see a "decent" result, but our solid starting side would still lose games against higher quality opposition.

Until we get 2-3 more dynamic gamebreakers at least, solid is the best we can hope for.

We probably would see a "decent" result, but our solid starting side would still lose games against higher quality opposition.

Until we get 2-3 more dynamic gamebreakers at least, solid is the best we can hope for.

Exactly. We lack any form of X factor. We did have the most exciting half back in the game but he didn’t run in 60m tries week after week. So we luckily got rid of him.

Exactly. We lack any form of X factor. We did have the most exciting half back in the game but he didn’t run in 60m tries week after week. So we luckily got rid of him.
Yeah right. Maybe in 2012 or so, but certainly not in the past 2-3 years. I wonder who the Sharkies supporters would agree with?
And, being very generous, highly debatable the term we 'got rid of him', but I think we've already flogged that horse to death on here.

wrighty

He's had 7 games not 3. At 2 tries, 1 assist, 2 line breaks and 85% tackle efficiency it's not great stats, but better than any other option they have there at the moment.
Agreed

Give him an extended run

We can’t recruit established stars for every position. Let’s develop guys where we can.

I was worried sk would name Ayshford ahead of Herbert this week but good judgement prevailed.

bruce

Contributor
I heard Nik Brown on the Sound this morning. Nik isn't a sports jock but he has been a 25 year veteran of bleeding for this club. He was talking about George saying some players are not putting in. Nik echoed that, but anybody who watches the games can see that. So whose job is it to make sure players are putting in? I suggest only selecting players that DO put in. Melbourne apply that logic and I thought we were supposed to be following Melbourne.

wrighty

For me it has to be a journey we simply aren’t going to be top six just by jumping there

It is ok to scrape into the top eight for a few years if it serves a higher purpose ie to establish ourselves as a non cellar dweller

Look how shit we are doing at recruiting this year. Part of that dynamic is how low we are in the standings.

If we were in 7th right now vs 12th our recruitment pitch would be ten times more compelling

I mean what are we even saying to the recruit targets
1 you can play with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck?
2 we will pay you overs?
3 anything else we can offer

Even though 80 percent of it probably comes down to salary it is a complex decision to change clubs and communications theory says you want as many reasons as possible to support a big change.

Maybe Ah Mau wouldn’t have come here if we finished 12-14th last year.

No they just have to play as a team an we would make the top 4
Every year .

Reactions: bruce

bruce

Contributor
No they just have to play as a team an we would make the top 4
Every year .
Good point.

How about a rowing eight without a coxswain? How about the All Blacks without a coach? Look at the Silver Ferns with a new coach. I think it is becoming very clear that there is a lack of purpose in this Warriors team. Ok blame some players but I believe firmly that a lot of it comes back to the game plan and tactics i.e. the coach.

Also I just puke every time I hear about his exploits with the Kiwis. Heyzeuss spare me he has had more top line professionals available to him in the Kiwis than anybody before him, plus he had the best coach in the business "helping him". Winning with the Kiwis was ok, but Mel Meninga has proven international coaching is way different to NRL coaching.

Poor game plan and tactics affects some players differently to others, but it does affect them.

Bushman

Contributor
The more I think about it (disclaimer I I may of had a few drinks) the fact that two seasons in a row at this point we are challenging for the 8, (this year seems a bit far fetched) I guess still in the contention at this point in the season seems like an improvement on past seasons.
Yeah totally agree with others the top 8 shouldn't be the goal if we're just making the numbers top 4 should be a minimum.
Basically I feel the tunnels super super long but in two three years time there's a definitive faint glow.
Not on the Kearney train but is this a rebuild and restructure with steady dividends to pay in the future? And steady rather than build a team for one shot at a premiership.
On the other hand...

Yes with this squad
I'll use the Manly game as case an point.
It comes down to leadership on an off the field

Well damn, that's a compelling case you have there. One match clearly indicates that we should be top 4 with this squad.

Knights, Rabbitohs, Broncos, Panthers, Cowboys beat the Roosters earlier this year...they should be top 4 too.

The Dogs beat the Rabbits when they were top 4, knocking them out of top 4. Guess they have a top 4 squad too.

Sharks beat the Storm....mmm that's some good top 4ing.

Cowboys and Eels beat the Raiders...top 4, more top 4!!

Tigers, Panthers, Dragons, Titans (yes the Titans) - also beat the Sea Eagles...you get a top 4, you get a top 4, you get a top 4, everyone gets a top 4...

At least 16 teams should be top 4 with the squads they have this year.

It's almost like any team can win on the day and isolated results are not a true indication of anything.

Heavy dripping sarcasm aside, top 4 teams are top 4 teams because they show up consistently, including when they're not at their best or the opposition are well up for the fight. They win games they generally shouldn't because they have gamebreakers who can turn results around from nothing.

We can hang our hats on isolated results saying this is how it should be all the time, but the fact is it isn't. There's plenty of games this year where we've dominated and still lost or barely scraped a win. Other results where we didn't even bother showing up or dropped our heads when teams bullied us.

There really is nothing outside a couple wishful isolated results that says we should be top 4, because based on that logic there's 16 teams that should be top 4.

Last edited:
Well damn, that's a compelling case you have there. One match clearly indicates that we should be top 4 with this squad.

Knights, Rabbitohs, Broncos, Panthers, Cowboys beat the Roosters earlier this year...they should be top 4 too.

The Dogs beat the Rabbits when they were top 4, knocking them out of top 4. Guess they have a top 4 squad too.

Sharks beat the Storm....mmm that's some good top 4ing.

Cowboys and Eels beat the Raiders...top 4, more top 4!!

Tigers, Panthers, Dragons, Titans (yes the Titans) - also beat the Sea Eagles...you get a top 4, you get a top 4, you get a top 4, everyone gets a top 4...

At least 16 teams should be top 4 with the squads they have this year.

It's almost like any team can win on the day and isolated results are not a true indication of anything.

Heavy dripping sarcasm aside, top 4 teams are top 4 teams because they show up consistently, including when they're not at their best or the opposition are well up for the fight. They win games they generally shouldn't because they have gamebreakers who can turn results around from nothing.

We can hang our hats on isolated results saying this is how it should be all the time, but the fact is it isn't. There's plenty of games this year where we've dominated and still lost or barely scraped a win. Other results where we didn't even bother showing up or dropped our heads when teams bullied us.

There really is nothing outside a couple wishful isolated results that says we should be top 4, because based on that logic there's 16 teams that should be top 4.
I do see your point believe me .
But after watching new signings come in an sink to
The level of the lowest common denominator time an again
I would rather see our team an coaches able to work Consistently
With what they have .Not blame Reffing , Travel times ,or players
An I believe that until we get leadership that is effective at inspiring
Consistency .An can play to a game plan an make necessary changes
On field we are doomed to repeat our troubles .

Reactions: HoRneT041
I do see your point believe me .
But after watching new signings come in an sink to
The level of the lowest common denominator time an again
I would rather see our team an coaches able to work Consistently
With what they have .Not blame Reffing , Travel times ,or players
An I believe that until we get leadership that is effective at inspiring
Consistency .An can play to a game plan an make necessary changes
On field we are doomed to repeat our troubles .

No doubt, agree 100%

I'm sick to death of the ref blaming for one. All clubs have that habit, but it's so bad with us on social media.

And whether they deny it or not, there's no doubt there are players who can't help themselves but listen to social media and look at what people are saying.

At what point does this victim mentality filter into the players so when bad calls go against us they just sulk and roll over.

How do we stop the next generation of Warriors doing it when it seems like the overriding theme of each loss involves boo hoo refs, Australian's will never let us win etc?

More than I see at any other club we always seem to be loaded up with excuses and willing to accept the the main reason we don't do better is because we don't "get a fair go".

That mentality needs to change across the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.