Team List NRL 2019 Round 2 - West Tigers vs Warriors TEAM LIST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Swanley

Swanley

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It's like insisting the players put their socks on in the same order because that's what worked out last week.
I've got lucky jocks for cricket....don't mock the superstition.

Burr deserves to stay and lock and Papa to the bench for Ayshford.

I cannot see where Luke fits in either as we cannot have Luke, Roach and Jazz all in the team at the same time I think. makes us a very small bench.

I cannot see Luke playing this week.

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The Jazz / Roache / Luke conundrum is an interesting one. Last year I'd be all over the 'FUCK OFF JAZZ' angle, but I've watched him closely towards the end of last year and last week. He lacks a ton of size, but he's really mastered this bizarre jinking, zig zag run where he pinballs his way towards decent yardage. I'm not convinced it will work every week or possibly even longterm, but I can almost justify Jazz as a regular 2nd rower based off the makeup of the rest of the team.

Lets examine the most likely forward pack should all be included (in my opinion)

8 - Paasi - Prop. But he's also been a 2nd rower in the past if injury strikes. Good size on him too
22 - Luke - Hooker. There is also scope for a spell at lock or 5/8th in a horrible bind.
10 - Bunty - Prop. An absolute beast this year. Provides size and aggression.
11 - Blair - 2nd Row / Lock / Prop. An 80 minute man that can play all over the park to decent effect.
12 - Tohu - 2nd Row / Centre / 5/8th. Obviously a creative 80 big minute 2nd rower mostly, but good versatility too.
17 - Papalii - Lock / 2nd Row. Capable of big minutes and seems to have bulked up this year.

9 - Roache - Hooker / Center / Half. Primarily a hooker, but decent versatility. His pace makes him a great impact hooker in the last 10 minutes of a half particularly.
14 - Jazz - I've already outlined my theory on why his lack of size isn't a huge issue. But also he's capable of big minutes.
15 - Lisone - Prop. I'm not a huge Lisone fan, but he was good for us last week. If he can keep that standard of performance, he's a worth inclusion. But as soon as he goes off the boil, I'd look at Sao or Burr.
16 - Ah Mau - Prop. Just a tank of a man. Gives us girth on the bench.

Additionally, it's worth considering that Fus, Ken, Kata and to a lesser extent, RTS, were just trampling their way up the field. By having an incredibly powerful backline, the pressure is taken off the forwards, allowing our biggest players to squeeze out a little bit of extra time in their stints on the field. Obviously this doesn't account for games where our pack gets monstered, but hey - that's just going to happen at some point. It happens to even the best of teams.

TL;DR: I think our pack, while fucking odd on paper, in practise, can actually work to great effect. Blair is really the extra prop that gives us a bit of flexibility, while the big motors on most of our best forwards makes it possible to have such a strange looking bench.

Reaction score
Swanley

Swanley

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The Jazz / Roache / Luke conundrum is an interesting one. Last year I'd be all over the 'FUCK OFF JAZZ' angle, but I've watched him closely towards the end of last year and last week. He lacks a ton of size, but he's really mastered this bizarre jinking, zig zag run where he pinballs his way towards decent yardage. I'm not convinced it will work every week or possibly even longterm, but I can almost justify Jazz as a regular 2nd rower based off the makeup of the rest of the team.

Lets examine the most likely forward pack should all be included (in my opinion)

8 - Paasi - Prop. But he's also been a 2nd rower in the past if injury strikes. Good size on him too
22 - Luke - Hooker. There is also scope for a spell at lock or 5/8th in a horrible bind.
11 - Blair - 2nd Row / Lock / Prop. An 80 minute man that can play all over the park to decent effect.
12 - Tohu - 2nd Row / Centre / 5/8th. Obviously a creative 80 big minute 2nd rower mostly, but good versatility too.
17 - Papalii - Lock / 2nd Row. Capable of big minutes and seems to have bulked up this year.

9 - Roache - Hooker / Center / Half. Primarily a hooker, but decent versatility. His pace makes him a great impact hooker in the last 10 minutes of a half particularly.
14 - Jazz - I've already outlined my theory on why his lack of size isn't a huge issue. But also he's capable of big minutes.
15 - Lisone - Prop. I'm not a huge Lisone fan, but he was good for us last week. If he can keep that standard of performance, he's a worth inclusion. But as soon as he goes off the boil, I'd look at Sao or Burr.

Additionally, it's worth considering that Fus, Ken, Kata and to a lesser extent, RTS, were just trampling their way up the field. By having an incredibly powerful backline, the pressure is taken off the forwards, allowing our biggest players to squeeze out a little bit of extra time in their stints on the field. Obviously this doesn't account for games where our pack gets monstered, but hey - that's just going to happen at some point. It happens to even the best of teams.

TL;DR: I think our pack, while fucking odd on paper, in practise, can actually work to great effect. Blair is really the extra prop that gives us a bit of flexibility, while the big motors on most of our best forwards makes it possible to have such a strange looking bench.
This 100%. I hope we get to see this.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score

I think you've cracked the mysterious process.

Rather than body type it will be statistically determined, based on minutes, meters. Also he will be looking for things like the ability to pass a ball, or pop an unlikely offload (Jazz). Blair and Tohu are uncommonly good passers - ball players compared to past Warrior types.

The regulation offload is always at six oclock directly backward to avoid messing with Kearneys love of completions . . .that will be the other stat, low error forwards.

The other thing is they are a very defensive forward pack with Lisone being the only real wild card Kearney plays.

Even little Jazz likes to tackle.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Kata Fan Club - Colonel
Contributor
Reaction score
OK, here is my issue.

We can have Jazz on the bench as he plays a utility hooker/second row amalgamation which he isn't great at either of them but good enough at both if that makes sense.

However, we played a big bench in the early rounds last season, possibly due to injuries, against teams we have struggled with in the past who have relatively big forward packs. Ie roosters, rabbitohs. And we beat them, beat them playing a hard, direct, no let up because we had a big bench, forward dominating game.

For some reason we went away from that. And while what we moved to worked against the lesser teams, when it came to playing those bigger teams again, like the Roosters we got bent over. Even the Panthers finals game we did.

I hope we don't run with Jazz and Roach on the bench, ever. I mean ever. Jazz or Roach (assuming Luke is fit) and 3 forwards. End of story. No arguments. Not even Blake Ayshford on the bench with Jazz or Roach. Its a long season and despite having Corvo training having that one less forward to keep up the momentum off the bench multiplied by 22ish rounds equals drained and burnt out players come finals time.

I hope we run out 1-17 this week.

I hope when Luke comes back Roach goes to ISP, that's hard on the kid but its either him or Jazz and that's very unlikely to happen

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
I see Blake Asyhford is playing second row for the reserves this week - he needs some football and In the pack too as opposed to centre. If Kata or Hiku we’re injured tomorrow, Beale would replace them not Ayshford.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
When you look at the selections fro a defensive perspective they make sense, Lisone is the possi ble exception, but we havent seen the final team yet.

I like Jazz, he is a pest and gives energiser bunny effort. That hit on Foran was worth his inclusion this week alone imo. He will be lining up Farah and Benji, and they will know that.

Reaction score
Paleaaesina2the20

Paleaaesina2the20

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
18 Moses Mbye

19 Josh Reynolds

20 Matthew Eisenhuth

21 Chris McQueen

Is an expensive set of reserves for ISP. Especially for a team with cap penalties. Are the Doggies still paying for Mbye?
Mbye is combing back from a knee injury, however it sounds like he will play this weekend. Which I expect would mean Mbye to fullback and one of the current wingers will make way for Thompson. However the overall sentiment of your statement stands, and to further that I think the Tigers balance of players is way off, they are very thin in the backs.

Reaction score
razzrillinger

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
However the overall sentiment of your statement stands, and to further that I think the Tigers balance of players is way off, they are very thin in the backs.
Their back 5 is a big step up from what the Bulldogs rolled out last week, especially the centres.

Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Assistant Ballboy
Contributor
Reaction score
Tigers seem VERY confident about this one. Let’s do a what we did to the same confident Bulldogs fans

Reaction score
Paleaaesina2the20

Paleaaesina2the20

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
That Tigers v Manly game was a pretty low standard, the Tigers attack looked weak and their points came from two basic missed tackles and a deflected grubber kick in the wet. Warriors just need to get into the wrestle and execute again (same old recipe).

Reaction score

Old Sid

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
That Tigers v Manly game was a pretty low standard, the Tigers attack looked weak and their points came from two basic missed tackles and a deflected grubber kick in the wet. Warriors just need to get into the wrestle and execute again (same old recipe).
I share your observation. Neither side was up to much, and eventually only persistence paid off.

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
OK, here is my issue.

We can have Jazz on the bench as he plays a utility hooker/second row amalgamation which he isn't great at either of them but good enough at both if that makes sense.

However, we played a big bench in the early rounds last season, possibly due to injuries, against teams we have struggled with in the past who have relatively big forward packs. Ie roosters, rabbitohs. And we beat them, beat them playing a hard, direct, no let up because we had a big bench, forward dominating game.

For some reason we went away from that. And while what we moved to worked against the lesser teams, when it came to playing those bigger teams again, like the Roosters we got bent over. Even the Panthers finals game we did.

I hope we don't run with Jazz and Roach on the bench, ever. I mean ever. Jazz or Roach (assuming Luke is fit) and 3 forwards. End of story. No arguments. Not even Blake Ayshford on the bench with Jazz or Roach. Its a long season and despite having Corvo training having that one less forward to keep up the momentum off the bench multiplied by 22ish rounds equals drained and burnt out players come finals time.

I hope we run out 1-17 this week.

I hope when Luke comes back Roach goes to ISP, that's hard on the kid but its either him or Jazz and that's very unlikely to happen
The change happened at the same time Mannering returned from injury. I see it as working with the pack you have. There was never anyway that they would put Mannering onto the bench, so the dynamic had to change. And Yes he was a tackling machine with some attacking flair. But Tohu Harris he aint. And he was the last of the forwards to predate SK. while Jazz was 2016, he really didnt play regularly until 2017 in line with SKs arrival.

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
I share your observation. Neither side was up to much, and eventually only persistence paid off.
which I think you'll find the warriors have over them.

Reaction score
Horriors2013

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Tigers seem VERY confident about this one. Let’s do a what we did to the same confident Bulldogs fans
They are getting overhyped for nothing. They're ordinary. Half the team are near the end of their careers and 2 are already there.

We're the club with the most potential. Always have been. But now we have a culture that delivers on it.

Reaction score
Miket12

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
They are getting overhyped for nothing. They're ordinary. Half the team are near the end of their careers and 2 are already there.

We're the club with the most potential. Always have been. But now we have a culture that delivers on it.
What would we know? Soward has them higher in the power rankings that us.

Reaction score

Juju

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
They're the favourites with the bookies.... and rightfully so.
They have a well balanced squad and experience across the park.
The poor quality was of the Manly game was pretty much due to the weather. The Tigers impressed me because the competed so hard. Maguire seems to make pretty gutsy teams. I'm not so confident tbh.

Reaction score

Qlder

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
We look better on paper, but I won't write off the Tigers as there's additional factors to consider:
  • Long range forecast in Sydney for Sunday is cloudy and 31 degrees. Campbelltown is generally 2-5 degrees hotter than inner Sydney, so temperature could be low-mid 30's by game time. The afternoon dry heat could be a factor.
  • Maguire is a smart operator. He would have taken something out of the Whangarei trial and will be prepared to counter. Especially with a hard nut like Farah who will get in the face of our halves.
  • The travel factor, wasn't so much an issue last year and let's hope it isn't this year. But first trip overseas this season adds an unfamiliarity to the process.
  • The bounce factor - coming off a high from the 40-6 hammering of the Doggies, plus an emotional time given last Friday's events.
  • Kiwi factor in the Tigers team. Rusty, Mutts, Benji, Marsters, Taylor will lift when playing our Warriors. More often than not it happens.
  • Soward. Don't want to upset him now, do we?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom