General NRL 2019 Round 17 - General Discussion

To be fair...if he played for your club you would love the guy. It is a hell of an achievement...I bet those clubs that turned him down feel like the guy who wouldn't sign the Beatles.
Fox sports showed total disrespect during the nzw/bb game little cut out pictures of smith walking to game in dressing rooms etc while our game was on wanky interview at half time in our game finch/smith. When our game finished no chat with players no summary just 20 ads then straight off to the cam smith wankfest. In protest I didn’t watch the sharks melb game handed the remote to wife.

Well he plays for a team that has higher standards, with the rookie coach not afraid to bench key players if they don't perform. Having that level of ecpectation is important for the team and players to grow. Else its all on cruise control ala Warriors.

I'm afraid your right. Just no pressure or accountability playing for us. No pressure for places.

Reactions: bruce

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
To be fair...if he played for your club you would love the guy. It is a hell of an achievement...I bet those clubs that turned him down feel like the guy who wouldn't sign the Beatles.
I agree it’s a massive achievement it’s been pumped up big time in Aus eg the countdown clock that’s been going all week is a bit cringy

• Wow

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Fox sports showed total disrespect during the nzw/bb game little cut out pictures of smith walking to game in dressing rooms etc while our game was on wanky interview at half time in our game finch/smith. When our game finished no chat with players no summary just 20 ads then straight off to the cam smith wankfest. In protest I didn’t watch the sharks melb game handed the remote to wife.

They do that all the time with the NZ super rugby games, they will have footage of the Aus teams walking off the busses etc cut into the games it’s way over the top

Beastmode

There’s always next year.
Contributor
Shaun Johnson more likely to respond to the same message there than he would here, which is not necessarily the fault of this club.

Yes, not the clubs fault they have low standards, can’t win a game to save our selves, hire rookie coaches who refuses to make his players accountable...

To fix a problem you first have to identify where that problem is....This club wouldn’t survive without the fans so I guess it’s us...?

• Haha
Reactions: Worried2Death

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
Yes, not the clubs fault they have low standards, can’t win a game to save our selves, hire rookie coaches who refuses to make his players accountable...

To fix a problem you first have to identify where that problem is....This club wouldn’t survive without the fans so I guess it’s us...?

Well that was a delightful segue-way from my point that was 'that you sometimes need to be told something by more than one set of people before the message sinks in.'

If you are with your conservative wife in the car and she tells you that you are driving too fast, you may write it off as her being a boring nag (not a true story lol). You get in a car with a mate and he says the same thing; suddenly you are a bit more conscious about your driving. A work colleague says the same thing and you come to the realisation that you have some poor driving habits that need to be addressed

Because of the known issues with our club, Shaun Johnson would probably of got upset that he was being used as a scapegoat for poor performances when told there were elements of his game that needed addressing. "How dare you question my ability when I'm carrying all these other muppets," type of thing, which would obviously have some truth to it. However, this papered over the message the club was probably trying to give him about his own game management, which was probably a valid critique.

This came to a head with the club saying 'we are no longer willing to invest marquee money on someone with flaws (who knows how professionally/eloquently or not this was said),' and Shaun saying 'well fuck you then good luck without me.' A very uneasy result for Shaun, the club and its fans.

At the end of the day the club has done what you are criticising them for by making tough decisions to hold players accountable, having high standards and trying to create a winning culture.

Meanwhile Shaun is probably getting the same critique elsewhere, but is probably coming to the realisation that he has some areas of his game that need attention and is more willing to take those critiques more seriously because he is no longer in his intimate home environment where he can look to the fallacies of others to excuse himself of any responsibility.

Now, I personally think that the club is poorer without Shaun, but only because we don't have the ability to attract players that would have filled his spot comfortably. If we had the advantages that other clubs had then we would be absolutely fine right now. The whole thing has been a cock up, and I personally can't get past Shaun walking out of the club in pre-season with a year to go on his contract. Dick move that has knee-capped a club and its fans that he is meant to love. Recruitment-wise we would have been good next year without all this I reckon.

I hope his game grows from here, and I sympathise with him for the years of rubbish he had to endure at this club, but at the end of the day it all got a bit toxic.

Last edited:

Beastmode

There’s always next year.
Contributor
Well that was a delightful segue-way from my point that was 'that you sometimes need to be told something by more than one set of people before the message sinks in.'

If you are with your conservative wife in the car and she tells you that you are driving too fast, you may write it off as her being a boring nag (not a true story lol). You get in a car with a mate and he says the same thing; suddenly you are a bit more conscious about your driving. A work colleague says the same thing and you come to the realisation that you have some poor driving habits that need to be addressed

Because of the known issues with our club, Shaun Johnson would probably of got upset that he was being used as a scapegoat for poor performances when told there were elements of his game that needed addressing. "How dare you question my ability when I'm carrying all these other muppets," type of thing, which would obviously have some truth to it. However, this papered over the message the club was probably trying to give him about his own game management, which was probably a valid critique.

This came to a head with the club saying 'we are no longer willing to invest marquee money on someone with flaws,' and Shaun saying 'well fuck you then good luck without me.' A very uneasy result for Shaun, the club and its fans.

At the end of the day the club has done what you are criticising them for by making tough decisions to hold players accountable, having high standards and trying to create a winning culture.

Meanwhile Shaun is probably getting the same critique elsewhere, but is probably coming to the realisation that he has some areas of his game that need attention and is more willing to take those critiques more seriously because he is no longer in his intimate home environment where he can look to the fallacies of others to excuse himself of any responsibility.

Now, I personally think that the club is poorer without Shaun, but only because we don't have the ability to attract players that would have filled his spot comfortably. If we had the advantages that other clubs had then we would be absolutely fine right now. The whole thing has been a cock up, and I personally can't get past Shaun walking out of the club in pre-season with a year to go on his contract. Dick move that has knee-capped a club and its fans that he is meant to love. Recruitment-wise we would have been good next year without all this I reckon.

I hope his game grows from here, and I sympathise with him for the years of rubbish he had to endure at this club, but at the end of the day it all got a bit toxic.

So, you er, saying you respect your mates more than your wife aye?

Because thats what it really boils down to at the end of the day.

Respect.

Players don’t respect this club. And why should they ? we have no history to fall back on. Look that the broncos! They are worst than us and living off their past history as a great club.

Reactions: Worried2Death
Brennan sacked by Titans. Walters, considered a fav, says he has no interest in the role. Kearneys family still live in Bris. Maybe they will headhunt him?

There must be a god out there that can make this happen.
Who do we get to continue the process in this miracle, Brennan?