Team List NRL 2018 Round 5 - Warriors vs Cowboys TEAM LIST

Game Information

01 Jan 1970 12:00PM

# Player Player #

Status
Not open for further replies.

up the guts

I'd drop Gelling off the bench and have Sao or Satae take his spot. Seems a a bit of a waste, unless they have little confidence in RTVS finishing the game. Even then, you'd think Tohu Harris or Simon could cover centre for 20 mins if need be.

I can only assume Simon will come on at lock and Blair will play prop, though Kearney did say he saw Simon playing on the fringes, so will be interesting to see how he uses him.
I think Roger Tuivasa-Sheck will have a quite game 'if you call 130 /150 meters a quite game .. when old mate came down from about 4 foot in the air .. my inital reaction was rodgers arm has been snapped .... ATHLETE

Reactions: 1 user
Swanley

Swanley

First thought that went through my head too lol.

People are still downplaying these victories and waiting for us to lose so they can say “told u we still suck”.
I am! I'm wanting us to lose but maybe not this weekend!

A loss would do us good, to get everyone to re-focus, it will happen, has any team gone a season unbeaten?

Reactions: 1 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
A loss would do us good, to get everyone to re-focus, it will happen, has any team gone a season unbeaten?
No. The record is 19 matches unbeaten by the Roosters in 1975. That was the Jack Gibson era.

Stalefish540

Stalefish540

Contributor

Ideally we can beat the Cows and Broncs. The Dragons beat the Rabbitohs and the Sharks.

Then next round it's all setup for a mouth watering test of who blinks first at Mt. Smart for lucky number 7.

Thats my hope anyway.

Ozwarrior

Ozwarrior

HALFBACK Shaun Johnson is confident he will be fit for the Warriors’ clash against the Cowboys on Saturday night.

A groin injury meant the ace playmaker missed the Warriors’ 30-6 upset of the Sydney Roosters as the club extended their start to the season to 4-0.

“It’s really good, and today was a good test for it,” he said on Wednesday after training.

“I got through a bit of a workout there. I was able to do some full contact and attack stuff - yes, sweet.”

Simon Mannering (shoulder) and Sam Lisone (suspension) also return, while Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (elbow) will play despite being forced off with a minor injury last week.

Pricey

Are you sure you just don't want a loss because you think you may be dreaming and if they lose a game then you know your not asleep and dreaming
because its so hard after 22 years to believe the Warriors start to the season

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Sup42

Sup42

Not since 1959 St George season no losses.

Souths
Balmain
Roosters

All those sides back in the early days 1915 era did it....Roosters twice (not the real 16 team comp though).

Reactions: 1 user
Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

Hiku is a Kearney favourite. He ain’t going anywhere.
I’m still worried about other teams exposing katas side of the field. I thought the Roosters missed an opportunity to target that side all game by being retards with the football. When they did go down there I thought the warriors looked shaky. A good team might tear them apart.

The Cowboys are next up.
They have first opportunity and JT to Cooper or Hess will be a possible tactic.

Your point about a good team tearing their side apart is the kind of challenge this year's team eats up.

Say what you want about the Rabbits Titans Raiders and Roosters but our team faced adversity in every game that would have buckled them in the past.

Reactions: 5 users
Stalefish540

Stalefish540

Contributor
Any news on Sao? I'd prefer he play to Gelling
Had to rethink my original plan.

- Mannering comes on at 25-30 mins for Pulu and plays out the game.
- At 20-25mins Afoa/Paasi make their usual swap, Tevaga coming on at 13 with Lisone and Blair(hes been playing 60mins) going to Prop.
- Pulu then becomes the 2nd prop and covers Blairs usual 15-20min break, from the 40-60.
- Last 20-25mins Blair, Paasi, Afoa come back on for Lisone, Tevaga and Pulu.

Something like that and Gelling rides the pine unless Sheck/Shaun Johnson go down with injury.

Reactions: 3 users

Pricey

Direct Quote from Andrew Johns on Nines sport for Cowboys vs Warriors at doubleheader mount smart "Warriors will absolutely smash the cowboys for this one"

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Defence

Defence

Mannering, Blair, Harris? Best back row in the comp?

We're coming up against a good one this week in Hess copper and jt.

I like the dragons back row of frizell Simms and de balin (I've followed him closely ever since he beat out konnie for NYC player of the year and he's awesome. I'm surprised it's taken so long for him to come into origin contention).

Broncos are solid with glen gillett and McGuire.

Panthers possibly have the most potential with Yeo (hugely underrated imo) kikau and jfh.

So yeah there's some good ones around but we're right up there.

Reactions: 5 users
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

I get the feeling that Mannering will be ready to go and want to get on the field to be a part of the excitement the rest of the team is generating and watching his team mates defend like they have been. As others have said, there’s so many others stepping up now, he’ll actually be able to enjoy playing again instead of feeling so much of the defence was down to him covering other players.

Plus, I think he’ll enjoy the freedom that is now part of the game plan and the will help raise his own attack since he won’t be drained having to defend so much of the time.

TBH, Mannering deserves to be playing with a team with the much spirit considering the crap spirit he’s had to endure since 2011.

Cometh the hour, cometh the Captain Mannering!!!!!

The others are waiting for him to come back so they can stop tackling....

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

WarriorBall

Something nobody’s really made mention of. Taumalolo, he makes his return to Auckland, according to Fafita he’s decided to permanently turn his back on New Zealand and apparently made the announcement by standing up in front of the players in the Mt Smart change rooms straight their World Cup game against the poms last year which also answers the question why there were holes left in the walls, quite a celebration by the sounds of it and I guess shows the amount of feeling which is still palpable even now.

I recognise we have two current members of that Tongan World Cup team and while I’m sure there’s genuinely no animosity towards them (certainly none as a fan) the question remains open, is there any bad blood still lingering towards Taumalolo particularly now he’s declared his future? he’s the spiritual leader of that side and the guy those other Kiwi players followed out the door at the 11th hour.

You have to acknowledge that it’s an entirely different stage for this game against the Cowboys but for the Kiwi boys, Adam Blair, Mannering, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Shaun Johnson, Hiku, Tohu Harris and Bully, all proud Kiwis, I suspect the last thing they want is for Taumalolo to walk from Mt Smart victorious again.

The Cows will be up for this game no doubt, lose and they go 1-4 with four losses in a row but I suspect our players will be equally up for it which is usually the case when pride is on the line.

It’s a nice bit of by play to this game that’s slipping under the radar at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 users

letsgonewarriors

Is just me or is Simon Mannering being overly negative in the latest article. He says we may have a few losses in a row, we may have a few injures to guys in a row. I really think it might help the team if this is his last year. He really has been a star for this team but I think the last few years have taken its toll on this club legend . With this tight bond happening with all of the group he needs to buy in with what his troops have started with this year. Maybe it’s just nerves but I not liking what I’m hearing from Simon.

• Haha

ForTheLoveOfGod

Yeah im kinda worried about the mojo Mannering brings but also think if SK plays him in shorter bursts it will benefit Mannerings play and the teams play. Focus on quality first not quantity

Sup42

Sup42

Had to rethink my original plan.

- Mannering comes on at 25-30 mins for Pulu and plays out the game.
- At 20-25mins Afoa/Paasi make their usual swap, Tevaga coming on at 13 with Lisone and Blair(hes been playing 60mins) going to Prop.
- Pulu then becomes the 2nd prop and covers Blairs usual 15-20min break, from the 40-60.
- Last 20-25mins Blair, Paasi, Afoa come back on for Lisone, Tevaga and Pulu.

Something like that and Gelling rides the pine unless Sheck/Shaun Johnson go down with injury.
Well thought out bro.

Kearney will probably change things up. Last week Satae and Gelling didn't see action in the first half....two players kept up his sleeve for a fast finish.

Mind you both those replacements were on debut so he could have been looking after them as much as anything.

Lisone has been finishing the halves at speed with Tevanga...I expect that will continue...

Status
Not open for further replies.