Team List NRL 2018 Round 4 - Roosters vs Warriors TEAM LIST

Game Information

01 Jan 1970 12:00PM

# Player Player #

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roosters: 1 James Tedesco, 2 Reece Robinson, 3 Latrell Mitchell, 4 Joseph Manu, 5 Blake Ferguson, 6 Luke Keary, 7 Cooper Cronk, 8 Sio Siua Taukeiaho, 9 Jake Friend (c), 10 Dylan Napa, 11 Boyd Cordner (c), 12 Ryan Matterson, 13 Isaac Liu

Interchange: 14 Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, 15 Zane Tetevano, 16 Mitchell Aubusson, 17 Victor Radley

Reserves: 18 Nat Butcher, 19 Kurt Baptiste, 20 Mitchell Cornish, 21 Lindsay Collins

Interesting they've shifted SST to prop.

Reactions: 1 users
Mannering said on tv after GC game he was expecting his return RD 5, so I'm not surprised he not there. I'm still not sold on Lisone as a regular FG player, theres a lot of competition now in the forwards and hes not top of the list imo. Good to see Jazz back in the mix he did and excellent job last week.

Reactions: 4 users
Think the penalties conceded may be more telling in this game. If we keep gifting them back to back sets through penalties like we did against the Raiders the chook's will rip us a new one. Discipline crucial this week.

Yep lets hope Blair doesn't have another brain explosion on our goal line again.......I was worried when we signed him his discipline might lets us down and it nearly did last week.

Reactions: 3 users
Satae over Vete is the only possible point of contention for me

I said last week that I rate Vete, I also saw him in person during pre season & he looked quite trim & ripped compared to previous seasons

I would be somewhat interested to know what's going on there, but other than that I'm trusting in the process

Lets Go 4-0 Warriors !!!

I'm sure Vete will get his chance, early days, its a long season.

Reactions: 2 users
This week’s teams seems sensible although I wonder of the rational for Blair’s move from prop to lock. Why do it now? As others have noted he’s played more of a lock role for years (acknowledging the difference can often be negligible)…

It does signal a move to the edge for Mannering but wonder if this is the best use of Mannering (never a particularly slick ball player), at this stage of his career? Do he still have the quickness / acceleration needed to play wider? Will he stifle attacking movements down the left? Mannering is one of our best ever players so happy to be proven wrong but it does seem his skill (as he’s aged) are more suited to playing in the centre of the field…

Possibly the makeup of the squad (lack of edge forwards) will essentially make the decision for Kearney although I have felt that Pulu (and Papalii) have performed well on the left edge.

Also, this risk of not carrying cover for dummy half on the bench out weights the additional benefit from adding another forward. And anyway I thought Jazz’s effort / energy were great on the weekend. Those criticising him for being ‘too involved’ is a good problem to have, IMO, and easier to fix than someone not putting their hand up enough!

I like the look of the team, curious to see what Satae can do with the ball in hand. Only weakness is a lack of backline cover if a back goes down. Hate to move Harris and the rest would have a hard time against a slick roosters backline.

Reactions: 1 users
Big step up this week. The Knights last week showed the winning feeling can soon be replaced pretty quickly with a reality check.

The Roosters vs Bulldogs game from round 2 the Roosters was interesting. They looked quicker across the park and really stretched the Bulldogs. We are going to have to scramble well on defense like the Titans pre-season match or the Souths game in round 1.

The penalty count will be interesting. The Roosters don't mind giving a few away and back their defense. Hopefully we improve in that area as a repeat of the first 10 minutes against the Raiders would be a worry as the Roosters would also throw more at us than the Raiders did.

Hopefully Kearney's talk of not going ballistic with the offloads and being more direct gets through this week. We heard it last week and they were keen to offload straight away.

Tough game but think the side can continue to surprise.

Mannering said on tv after GC game he was expecting his return RD 5, so I'm not surprised he not there. I'm still not sold on Lisone as a regular FG player, theres a lot of competition now in the forwards and hes not top of the list imo. Good to see Jazz back in the mix he did and excellent job last week.

i think we will see Simon back for the big double header next Saturday !

Roosters: 1 James Tedesco, 2 Reece Robinson, 3 Latrell Mitchell, 4 Joseph Manu, 5 Blake Ferguson, 6 Luke Keary, 7 Cooper Cronk, 8 Sio Siua Taukeiaho, 9 Jake Friend (c), 10 Dylan Napa, 11 Boyd Cordner (c), 12 Ryan Matterson, 13 Isaac Liu

Interchange: 14 Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, 15 Zane Tetevano, 16 Mitchell Aubusson, 17 Victor Radley

Reserves: 18 Nat Butcher, 19 Kurt Baptiste, 20 Mitchell Cornish, 21 Lindsay Collins

Interesting they've shifted SST to prop.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam !! that is a bloody good side

Still Warriors by 10 !

• Haha

Man I hate those articles.

What is Cronk supposed to say when asked about the opposition

"Johnson has been pretty flakey throughout his career and didn't run much last week despite saying he would."

"Blake has been a good buy for the club but even his strong directional skills were missing last week when the Warriors got into the red zone, you can see that from the high number of turnovers and lack of repeat sets"

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
I have a bit of a bad feeling about this one, our streak has to end sometime and the roosters are red hot at the moment.
HOWEVER it would finally shut a few “yeah but who have they played” people up if we do get up.
Big things to work on are our discipline as we know the Roosters will give away a few and despite us getting pissed off last week we gave the ref an excuse to ping us.
Other big factor is Cronk, if he doesn’t play well the Roosters don’t seem to gel quite so well.
How good would it be to have 3/3 on the road? (And break my live curse :p)

Nah I think we'll match them in the forwards
Thats where the game will be won
Tedisco isn't in sync with the rest of the back line yet let alone the spine
Lets take a leaf out of the tigers book and get in their faces
We go out and play as per the Bunnies game will go along way with coming up with a win.
Watching a couple of the Roosters tries looked soft, especially Kerrys try close to the line.
No way would Roger Tuivasa-Sheck have let that try to be scored.
Some forum were feeling the same way vs Roosters last year yet we ended up winning 14 - 13

Last edited:

WarriorBall

If I was looking for a weakness in the Roosters defence it’s probably in their outside backs, I’ve watched their two young centers make some poor decisions in the opening rounds this season. I’m Hopefull our halves can expose them out there a bit.

The Knights pack didn’t show up against them last week which is an area we’ve been not too bad in thanks to some hard determined running. There’s nothing too threatening about their pack imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
End of the day.. ZERO chance we end the season undefeated, its just how much we lose by (when we lose) and how we bounce back. We played pretty average last week and won luckily (B).. week before we were good (B+), week one we played and I gave us an (A).. I was genuinely excited by the changes in the team ethos.. I'd love a win, but I just hope we play hard and fast and if we lose go down fighting till the last second. Main thing is we end up top 4 to give us a chance of winning this thing.. pretty sure 90% of the years the comp is won by a top 4 dominant team. Roosters the benchmark right now.. cant wait!

Stalefish540

Contributor
This week’s teams seems sensible although I wonder of the rational for Blair’s move from prop to lock. Why do it now? As others have noted he’s played more of a lock role for years (acknowledging the difference can often be negligible)…

It does signal a move to the edge for Mannering but wonder if this is the best use of Mannering (never a particularly slick ball player), at this stage of his career? Do he still have the quickness / acceleration needed to play wider? Will he stifle attacking movements down the left? Mannering is one of our best ever players so happy to be proven wrong but it does seem his skill (as he’s aged) are more suited to playing in the centre of the field…

Possibly the makeup of the squad (lack of edge forwards) will essentially make the decision for Kearney although I have felt that Pulu (and Papalii) have performed well on the left edge.
Blair actually played at 13 last week Kearney said and Paasi at prop. Props/Locks are pretty interchangable these days, so theres not much difference. Except your lock usually plays longer stints and tends to play as a link more than a prop, of which Blair is our best middle exponent of this. Chances are he didn't start the season at lock because Kearney didn't have his 4 props available, now that Paasi is back he has the luxury to balance the pack how he wants. It was also stated pre season that Simon was locked in on that left edge, so that shouldn't be a surprise. Simon runs a great left edge line, so hopefully his attacking output is cleaner since he doesn't have to make 50 middle tackles. I'm guessing when fully fit Kearneys pack probably looks like -

8. Paasi
9. Luke
10.Gavet
11. Mannering
12. Harris
13. Blair

14. Lawton
15. Pulu
16. Lisone
17. Afoa

I personally don't mind the balance of that pack and bench at all with the new found fitness.

Reactions: 6 users
Three things we have in our favour, if nothing else:

1. Mental toughness. Never thought I would say that about the Warriors. There is no way we would have won the last game without it. The Warriors of old would not have been able to come back from 19-6. I expected the score to completely blow out. They instead regained control of the game and won.

2. Fitness: able to play the full 80 minutes.

3. Rock-solid defence. Well, compared to the last few years.

Reactions: 6 users

bruce

Contributor
Who would have thought we would not have Mannering for three games, and win the whole three?

Reactions: 15 users
Status
Not open for further replies.