• A

• B

• C

• F-

Results are only viewable after voting.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
I think the biggest thing is a lot of Aussies have a preconceived idea of NZers that they find difficult to shake, many of which are negative stereotypes so they don’t give us the time of day.
Secondly you need to look at the League shows primary audience- the Sydney clubs old boys, an agenda to compete with AFL in Melbourne so they get decent coverage and the powerful Brisbane market. As well as us the Titans and Raiders don’t usually get much of a look in and it’s only really Thurston that keeps the cowboys mentioned.
Thirdly there is still a MASSIVE hate for teams that aligned with super league, we cop it more so because they let us into their little club and we spat in their face for a better offer.
Lastly Australian sport with all their success has a big “we’re the best” mentality and are loathe to admit when someone may challenge it.
All in all we should carry the underdog status as long as we can, history has shown we don’t cope well with hype or expectations.

Stalefish540

System reboot, see you all in '23.
Contributor
The team has certainly started brilliantly but anyone taking top 4/minor premierships after four games is doing one of two things, they have either gone off their meds or are using vodka to wash them down.

You could have rested your typing finger for another post and just written the last line, we would have known what you meant.
Yea sorry mate, that was abit of hungover Monday rubbish wasn't it.

The Matty Johns show has become a throw away for me this year after only 4 rounds anyway. They don't preview the round on a Thurs and spend little time going over the round on a Sunday. Has become a bunch of cheap jokes like the Footy show.

The Weekend Wrap with Yvonne is probably the go to now if you want a decent summation of the round that was. 360 is pretty unbias and fair with a decent preview of the round, they could do with ridding themselves of Rothfield though.

bruce

Contributor
I think he can't let go of the fact it was a Kiwi girl in NZ that tarnished his reputation.
You mean he had a good reputation before?;)...just joking I know what you mean and agree. He was always the mouth and Andrew was the deep one.

Whilst a lot of posters are talking about top 4, minor premiers etc, I'm still concerned about the Cowboys gAme this coming weekend. Although their form hasn't been great this year they still have so many good players and we're in the GF last year. In saying that, we do look good and with a Big crowd behind us, we should be in a good position to go 5 from 5.
The only thing that worries me about the double header is that many seats have obviously been sold to Storm and Tiger fans. I am sure it will be a big crowd but what happens to the atmosphere if they leave after the curtain raiser?

bruce

Contributor
Thirdly there is still a MASSIVE hate for teams that aligned with super league, we cop it more so because they let us into their little club and we spat in their face for a better offer.
Good point brother. Peter McLeod, the Warriors founding father wanted to go with the ARL but lost out. I have often wondered what would have happened if we had gone with them, even though they were arseholes.

Reactions: matiunz
I think the biggest thing is a lot of Aussies have a preconceived idea of NZers that they find difficult to shake, many of which are negative stereotypes so they don’t give us the time of day.
Secondly you need to look at the League shows primary audience- the Sydney clubs old boys, an agenda to compete with AFL in Melbourne so they get decent coverage and the powerful Brisbane market. As well as us the Titans and Raiders don’t usually get much of a look in and it’s only really Thurston that keeps the cowboys mentioned.
Lastly Australian sport with all their success has a big “we’re the best” mentality and are loathe to admit when someone may challenge it.
All in all we should carry the underdog status as long as we can, history has shown we don’t cope well with hype or expectations.
I agree about the Titans.
Obviously the comp originated Sydney and as long as there are so many Sydney teams it will always be Sydneycentric.
And you can’t get much further away from there than NZ (NRL wise)
Brisbane is such essentially a League city so they demand the coverage.

I don’t buy the Superleague hate thing anymore though.
Yeah there are deep wounds but we’re talking over 20 years ago now. A lot of the guys who were central to the whole war are no longer involved in the game, and others such as Gus Gould, who was one of the most vocal and aggressive spokesman for the ARL side, runs things at Penrith who were Super League aligned.
Cronulla and Canterbury were also Super League and they’ve both won premierships and had success since then without prejudice.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
First time I have ever rated a game A+ and the first time it has been the overwhelming vote. Absolutely well deserved.

I'll be honest. I really gave us no chance of winning this. As soon as news broke that Shaun Johnson was out my heart sank. Up until this game we had never won a game without him. Ever!

To see Mason Lino slot in so seamlessly really shocked me. That was as a testament to Lino himself and the way Blake Green took full control of the ship. My hat went off for Green. He was all over the place and almost always took the right option inside the opposition 10-20. My MoM.

Watching Roger Tuivasa-Sheck play these last 4 games has been nothing short of an inspiration. He is absolutely loving playing right now and his enthusiasm spreads like wildfire across the team. He's being helped a great deal by some seniors that do their job so well such as Green, Adam Blair and Tohu Harris but he has also grown as a player and more importantly a captain.

The team as a whole played awesome.

Alex Corvo has done a fine job with the team. There were times during the game when you could see the Roosters kneeling over in pain as they sucked in the big ones while the Warriors looked like they still had another gear they could call on. Even the Roosters backline were having trouble keeping up.

We may not have size upfront but the pace that the boys are playing the game is blowing the other teams away. So good being a fan right now.

Next week is looking a sell out. Get in there if you haven't already...

I agree about the Titans.
Obviously the comp originated Sydney and as long as there are so many Sydney teams it will always be Sydneycentric.
And you can’t get much further away from there than NZ.
Brisbane is such essentially a League city so they demand the coverage.

I don’t buy the Superleague hate thing anymore though.
Yeah there are deep wounds but we’re talking over 20 years ago now. A lot of the guys who were central to the whole war are no longer involved in the game, and others such as Gus Gould, who was one of the most vocal and aggressive spokesman for the ARL side, runs things at Penrith who were Super League aligned.
Cronulla and Canterbury were also Super League and they’ve both won premierships and had success since then without prejudice.

The other thing with the Superleague war was it basically came down to mega rich bastards trying to out rich each other and own the lot.

Sure those aligned with Murdoch were getting paid shitloads but so were the likes of Gould and friends, Packer was well known for making the required installments to get players to the likes of the Roosters long before Murdoch started dabbling. Besides they forgave the likes of Meninga, Bennet and Stuart.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Matthew Johns hates the Warriors and I will always hold this conspiracy wether right or wrong. He never wants to give us credit on his show for the most part, but will do a 5min showcase if we cop a hiding.

My theory is that Cronulla group sex scandal that happened in Christchurch in 2002, of which his was the main person dragged through the media has alot to do with it. Everything went downhill for him there for awhile, think lost his job at Ch9 etc.

I think he can't let go of the fact it was a Kiwi girl in NZ that tarnished his reputation. So he holds that against us.

Pretty wild theory, but the prick has no other reason to constantly kick the boot in and then glaze over other shit teams. When he is forced to say something good about us, it's definitely not genuine. Matty Johns is a flog anyway.
nah not true, he used to pick the warriors regularly for the top 4 but over time got sick and wrong of being proven wrong. I mean seriously after all the shit you see them do over the years, it would be hard as a professional pundit to keep picking the warriors.

They dont talk about the warriors because over the years they havent delivered and they are not a local team. Thats all.

nah not true, he used to pick the warriors regularly for the top 4 but over time got sick and wrong of being proven wrong. I mean seriously after all the shit you see them do over the years, it would be hard as a professional pundit to keep picking the warriors.

They dont talk about the warriors because over the years they havent delivered and they are not a local team. Thats all.

That may be true but he's still a flog.

ToiletDuck

Administrator
Alex Corvo has done a fine job with the team. There were times during the game when you could see the Roosters kneeling over in pain as they sucked in the big ones while the Warriors looked like they still had another gear they could call on. Even the Roosters backline were having trouble keeping up.

I think it was Gasnier who said during the game that the players each look 5kg lighter, Isaac Luke in particular certainly does. Not sure whether they're actually lighter, but they look fitter than they have done in previous years. It's most evident on those defensive sets, where they're scrambling from the ground back to the defensive line and people aren't making those lame exhausted attempts at tackles.

Paasi looks the most aggressive at chasing in goal Kicks.

Got it wrong the first time ( called offside) nailed Ferguson the second time.

He looked crook first two games, now he's one of our best kick chasers in the middle.
Throw in some beastly hits and a couple of very good runs and you can see why he is wearing the 10 Jersey.

I started the season hoping for a top 8 but forget that; top 4 given the start we have had and hack why not the Minor Premership. Haven’t seen a better team.
i would still be stoked with top 8 considering the last 7 years

and wasnt it the dragons the last couple of years come out of the blocks like usain bolt and i think still missed the 8 one year and possibly 8th the next.

either way, one game at a time boys and make the top 8 and every game after that is a lottery.

100% correct. Johns even said he would walk from Newcastle to Sydney if the Warriors didn't make the top 4 last year...

This whole 'Aussie media hate the Warriors' stuff is crap, they are just sick of the team not living up to expectation (no different form most of us up until a month ago). I remember plenty on here use to think Gary Belcher hated the Warriors. I know for a fact that was completely untrue. Then it was Blocker - well from what I've heard from him this season he seems pretty damn happy we are playing well.

The problem with Johns' show is that the focus is more on pushing the identities of those sitting on the couch and there isn't enough focus on the games. It's just one big ego trip.

bruce

Contributor
and wasnt it the dragons the last couple of years come out of the blocks like usain bolt and i think still missed the 8 one year and possibly 8th the next.
Yes, they play very well but don't have the depth. For example Jason Nightingale is one of my favourite players, an absolute pro, but he will be 32 this year and who have they got to replace him? Mind you if they start picking Green for SOO we might lose something as well.

100% correct. Johns even said he would walk from Newcastle to Sydney if the Warriors didn't make the top 4 last year...

This whole 'Aussie media hate the Warriors' stuff is crap, they are just sick of the team not living up to expectation (no different form most of us up until a month ago). I remember plenty on here use to think Gary Belcher hated the Warriors. I know for a fact that was completely untrue. Then it was Blocker - well from what I've heard from him this season he seems pretty damn happy we are playing well.

The problem with Johns' show is that the focus is more on pushing the identities of those sitting on the couch and there isn't enough focus on the games. It's just one big ego trip.

Yeah Blocker is just a straight shooter imo and it makes him a good commentator. You listen to him commentate in games involving other sides and if they are playing like crap he puts the boot in too, calls it how he see's it. He rightfully had plenty to bag the Warriors for over the past 6 years.

I think it was Gasnier who said during the game that the players each look 5kg lighter, Isaac Luke in particular certainly does. Not sure whether they're actually lighter, but they look fitter than they have done in previous years.

Understatement of the century - Luke looks positively svelte compared to last season. No surprise he is back to his lethal best (or almost).

Reactions: bruce and Sup42