Rate the game.

• A+

• A

• B

• C

• F-

Results are only viewable after voting.
Disappointing ... Ken Maumalo immense in a beaten side
Yeah Big Ken was standout player for sure. Had our chances but didn't know how to execute them or we just straight bungled it. Mannering had a bit of a shocker. Wasn't a blow out though and we kept there forwards reasonably quiet overall. So I'm not too gutted but just wished we were more clinical and used our chances better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Losing to the storm by 6 is just the most ehhh result, can’t say it’s a good sign or a bad sign, its just ehh, effort would have beaten most teams, but you aren’t playing most teams so margin for mistakes is minimal.

I usually don’t mind Melbourne when their playing other teams, can’t stand them after yesterday, rules just literally don’t apply to them, it’s not what’s called against us (all fine) its what’s not called against them, cu**s standing 6 meters behind the ptb making tackles “Get back 10 warriors” “back 10” cheating dogs. But as this weekend has shown it’s not anything to do with us in particular.

Ken really was Manu 2.0 out there (the good version of Manu) and Gavet had a strong start. Blair was playing right back row in attack and Mannering ball playing lock, just switch them, at least Blair has some ball skills. Papalii looks like he’s getting confidence in his attack, Beale looked good.

Reactions: 4 users
I personally think it was a in between a B too, and Im usually on the light side of ranking our games. We just missed too many opportunities and didnt throw the offload when we should. Very fine line between last week and this week. But also Storm are a better team than the Broncos.

Refs were BAD. Was that Cummins? How on heck did Luke knock on when its off his thigh then clearly the ball has come off his hand and gone backward unless refs think the ball can just mysteriously change direction at pace. Too many mistakes by the main refs for me to go on about. Usual NRL level and its not just the warriors who cop it.

Cant go into our shells, especially with offloads, they are game winners, just need to remember when to throw them and when not to. Also getting back to those fine motor skills under fatigue might help holding on to them. Although the one off Luke should be reversed as per above.

If we win 5/6 we will make the top 4. 2 more and we are back in the 8 finally.

I sometimes wonder what would have happened this year if we had held Cappy for one more year and Cleary was open and we got him back. Felt like we made the 8 most seasons with him. Still next year is our year. 1 top notch centre would finish our team off (full strength). I still feel anything less than top 4 with this current Roster and Corvo training us is under achieving, but if it took sarcraficing last year and this year to change our culture to become a more "Storm" like team, thats ok.

Reactions: 1 user

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
F
Rugby League: Warriors coach Stephen Kearney takes aim at NRL referees

NZ Warriors Post Match Press Conference : https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/22/kearney-questions-a-few-decisions-in-loss-to-melbourne/

Warriors coach Stephen Kearney believes there is a serious issue with officiating in the NRL – and a solution needs to be urgently found.

While insisting he was not blaming the referees for the Warriors 12-6 loss to the Storm – he repeatedly stressed that Melbourne were the better team, and his side weren't quite good enough – Kearney was left stunned by some strange decisions on Sunday.

Several big calls went against the home side, with a few quite inexplicable and clearly wrong.

In the wake of Ricky Stuart's outburst on Friday night, after the Raiders' controversial loss to the Sharks, Kearney agreed that the men with the whistle weren't currently up to the mark.

"I think there is a problem [with the refereeing]," said Kearney. "Unfortunately they have been poorly led. They get a directive [from the NRL] at the start of the year to blow the pea out of the whistle and 13 rounds in that changes again."

"It's just about that consistency and I feel for them at the moment. There is enough smart people in our game to get it sorted, and we need to make sure we do something about it. It's a bit of a blight on our game at the minute."

The most obvious example occurred midway through the second half on Sunday, when Warriors winger Ken Maumalo smashed through three tackles in a 40m burst towards halfway, before being stopped by Cameron Smith. Smith's tackle looked high, but as Maumalo went to play the ball the referees found an invisible knock on.

"Ken's one was a pretty obvious one," said Kearney. "They are moments for them, and as Ricky alluded to the other day, they are game changers. They turn the momentum of the game."

The officials earned the ire of the crowd with their inconsistent policing of the ten metre rule, as the Australian side spent almost the entire match parked in the Warriors backline.

"We get penalised for leaving our line too early, a couple of minutes before the end of the game," said Kearney. "[Then] we head up and are on their try line and by the time we catch the ball they are in our face."

Kearney was also frustrated by the Storm's ability to seemingly enjoy carte blanche in the ruck, as they constantly slowed the play, often without punishment.

"They are under a bit of pressure at the moment the officials," said Kearney.

"We got an email at the start of the week [from the NRL] and they said they were going to look at the crowding of the play the ball and that it is taking too long for guys to get off tackles. I look at tonight and I'm thinking...I don't know if they sent themselves that email. They probably needed to read the email themselves. [Melbourne] were slow peeling off and that's what we get confused about as footy clubs."

Source : https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12093443

:(

Don’t get me wrong I’m glad Kearney said something about the reffing standards but like he picked the wrong week to make a stand on reffing. Sure there was a few that probably should have gone the other way (for both sides) but reffing was probably the fairest we’ve copped in a few weeks and complaining now comes across as crying wolf a bit

Reactions: 8 users
The Refs are shit and we all know it.

But again, the Refs did not beat us, did not influence the result - we beat ourselves.

It is another reminder that this team is trending in the right direction but is not there yet.

Good teams convert their opportunities (Storm, Rabbitohs, Dragons, Roosters, Sharks), Middling teams create opportunities (Panthers, Warriors, Broncos, Canberra, Tigers, Titans, Knights) and the poor teams do nothing of the sort (Cowboys, Eels, Dogs, Sea Eagles)

Let's hope we can start pushing up into the top bracket

Reactions: 3 users
I expected to get hammered, so I'm actually pretty positive coming out of this.

If Luke had been able to come back on, we probably win. Jazz away from hooker was having a great game until Luke went off. He's just not a hooker and it killed our attack. To only give up two tries to Melbourne is pleasing as they threw a lot at us.

Also, I saw a lot to like from the Beale / Fusitua side - Hiku should REALLY be dropping out of the team when Pulu and Harris are back. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was his usual excellent self. Maumalo was a fucking monster. Shaun Johnson tried really hard and in my opinion, did a good job kicking and guiding the team around, considering Lino wasn't too effective.

The negatives are much the same as usual ... our forwards made a lot of stupid errors and only an acceptable amount of metres. Mannering in particular hurt us a LOT with some of his dogshit passes. He's made the right call to shut up shop. Kata did some dumb shit, but tried hard.

Now usually I'm the most negative cu** around, but I think we're coming into some decent form. We might only be 1-3 in our last four, but that's a little deceiving. We were robbed against the Sharks, copped MORE bad calls against the Panthers and gave up (admittedly bad), pummelled the Broncos and were unlucky against the table topping Storm.

Once we get Pulu and Harris back into the team and a lot less minutes from Mannering and Jazz, I reckon the team will start to look really good. Particularly if we can go more than two weeks without injury fucking up key combinations, as it has ALL season.
I see it the same way.

I recon that game did us a lot of good...Melbourne not so much...we made them play some pretty average footy.

Bellamy talking in the pregame focused on Green as the Key to the Warriors this year, he looked pretty gleeful when noting he was not playing.

From my pov it was very important that we put aside the excuses yesterday and gave it a good hard go...stringing two big efforts in a row after last week...and we did that.

I think the team will take a lot of confidence out of that loss and move ahead rapidly form there with as you say the return of all those very crucial players.

A lot of people ranted about how dumb we looked, but they are overlooking the fact that Green tells these players what to do and where to run etc.,...Andrew Johns was similar for the Knights,,,they couldn't string together a cohesive game without him.

Luke does the rest of the organising.,...you lose those two,,,,you are left with a bunch of blokes that either keep battling or give in...but make no bones about it our side is way disadvantaged to the stacked opposition in that game...and we did a good job.

Reactions: 1 users
Good teams convert their opportunities (Storm, Rabbitohs, Dragons, Roosters, Sharks), Middling teams create opportunities (Panthers, Warriors, Broncos, Canberra, Tigers, Titans, Knights) and the poor teams do nothing of the sort (Cowboys, Eels, Dogs, Sea Eagles)
Well said. And on the refs, they are shit for all teams. I do think once they get an idea in their heads that you do or dont do something well they keep their eye on it too closely, ie Warriors coming off the 10 too early, they really use to nail use for that. Definitely Corvos fitness fixed that, the team handles 80m of footy without giving away fitness penalties anymore.

I think we are on the verge of converting more oppurtunities.

Right now is the perfect time to get a form run on. Even 4/6 might make the 4, but 5 should definitely. Regardless we need to get some form, I feel a solid win and a narrow loss to Storm with a win next week = some form. Only Panther and Dragons left in the top 8 in our last 6 games, if we can win the rest and one of those we could go further than round one. Next year we need to improve both offense and defense, our for and against definitely doesnt warant us being higher than where are at. Our first 7 games we were +85ish.

The trouble with this team is they only know how to play when everything is going their way.

They don't have strategies for when the game is going against them. All they can do is defend and wait for an error or penality to swing the momentum.

Was pretty telling when even Blocker Bloody Roach mentioned how often the Storm seemed to have the 50/50 calls go their way…

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Was pretty telling when even Blocker Bloody Roach mentioned how often the Storm seemed to have the 50/50 calls go their way…

I need to find our record under Ben Cummins.

He just seems to ping the hell out of us.

The inside the 10 call in the dying minutes to kill of the game was ludicrous when I literally watched the storm get back about 7m inside the 20 on our last effort.

tajhay

🏉
I need to find our record under Ben Cummins.

He just seems to ping the hell out of us.

The inside the 10 call in the dying minutes to kill of the game was ludicrous when I literally watched the storm get back about 7m inside the 20 on our last effort.
He has reffed us 37 times.
Winning % : 15/37 = 41%

Probably our highest winning % with long serving ref in the NRL.

The storm where so fast of their line it was like they appeared on the TV screen from nowhere as soon as we got the play of the ball where as the warriors weren't even in the shot when the storm hit it up. I though our boys were quite diligent with not giving away penalties on PTB but the storm looked like they almost knew they weren't gonna get pinged so held down our guys that second longer. Crowding on PTB was also ridiculous. We also looked "scared" to score or didn't have confidence in finishing our sets without Green. I think he might be our most important player this year.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
i wish people would stop looking at the refs instead of the team as excuses why they didnt win. Honestly ref blaming is what got us from in goal referees, to video refs, to two refs, to the bunker, to one ref and a support, to the new and exciting bunker. And in that time the game looks worse than it used to with only one ref.

I know other factors have come in as well, like the HIA and the professionalism of the players with dives and wrestling has gone up but its nothing the ref on the field didnt use to deal with by just penalizing milking, penalizing walking off the mark, etc etc. Just enforce the rules, all the rules as you see the game unfold in front of you and stop trying to predict what each team will do. Make mistakes, but make em honestly and play on. This business of modifying the game with dictates from head office on things that dont look good on TV is where so much confusion is coming from. Imagine a local kids game where they milked penalties and walked off the mark. The ref would pull it up in a heart beat.

IMO we need to lay off the refs and the refs need to go back to basics.

Reactions: 4 users

wrighty

i wish people would stop looking at the refs instead of the team as excuses why they didnt win. Honestly ref blaming is what got us from in goal referees, to video refs, to two refs, to the bunker, to one ref and a support, to the new and exciting bunker. And in that time the game looks worse than it used to with only one ref.

I know other factors have come in as well, like the HIA and the professionalism of the players with dives and wrestling has gone up but its nothing the ref on the field didnt use to deal with by just penalizing milking, penalizing walking off the mark, etc etc. Just enforce the rules, all the rules as you see the game unfold in front of you and stop trying to predict what each team will do. Make mistakes, but make em honestly and play on. This business of modifying the game with dictates from head office on things that dont look good on TV is where so much confusion is coming from. Imagine a local kids game where they milked penalties and walked off the mark. The ref would pull it up in a heart beat.

IMO we need to lay off the refs and the refs need to go back to basics.

Best Post of the thread.

I
The storm where so fast of their line it was like they appeared on the TV screen from nowhere as soon as we got the play of the ball where as the warriors weren't even in the shot when the storm hit it up. I though our boys were quite diligent with not giving away penalties on PTB but the storm looked like they almost knew they weren't gonna get pinged so held down our guys that second longer. Crowding on PTB was also ridiculous. We also looked "scared" to score or didn't have confidence in finishing our sets without Green. I think he might be our most important player this year.
I agree.Cummins has gone off as far as I am concerned.
My son went to the Panthers game when he was also the ref and said that they ambushed us and we're way too good however Cummins was slack on their 10 metres all day and that Tamou was often only back 7 or 8 metres.Cummins did nothing.
Yesterday he did four things to help the Storm.
(1) Shit 10 metres
(2) Any 50:50 calls went their way
(3) Allowing Storm to peel the three tacklers off our man a second or two slower than we had to do it and
(4) The Storm really got away with wrestling on the ground in so far as they would try to turn our tackled guy on the ground so that our man was never facing up field when getting up to play the ball. Points 3 and 4 gave them a big advantage in defence and we couldn't break their line as a consequence.
Cummins is not our friend at the moment.

Having said that we could have won that game but overall shot ourselves in the foot.

In summary, we were not great but if they were without Munster and Smith had only played half a game things would probably have been different.
Remember three weeks ago we were dicked by Panthers and if you had said then that we would smash the Broncos and only go down to Storm by 6 points in an arm wrestle most of us would have said then " not bad I'd take it"
As I have said previously we are right in this still and just need to put away the teams we should and get the full squad back...........this week a win is a must and then bring on the Drags ( who are starting to struggle) and if we can win both of those our expectation becomes top four.
Disappointing yesterday but still way better than the last 6 years,enjoy the ride,support the team and get to Mt Smart whenever you can.
Go you fuckin beauties, WE ARE NOT OUT OF THIS YET!!!!!!!!!

bruce

Contributor
if I recall it was a bad call against Manly when Lowe was coaching and Arthurson was still running the NSWRL.

He has reffed us 37 times.
Winning % : 15/37 = 41%

Probably our highest winning % with long serving ref in the NRL.
Fair call, but whats the Stat for "Insanely stupid calls"? :)

He does fine then goes and calls something ridiculous. Was it him who called the knock on against Luke when it came off his thigh then arm backward?

It would be nice if they had a simple Correct Call stat. Surely the refs look at themselves like the players do. If they arent looking at the video and at their performance, there is the obvious answer. But Im pretty sure they do, so how hard would it be for the a non bias ref (not the match ref) to review the game and decide whether it was a bad call or not? Now that stat would at least help them get some what better. Or the NRL could just sack them if they are rubbish, oh, then we would have no refs, hmmmm.

Lol seriously, I know they dont get paid much compared to players but there has to be a way to hold them accountable for bad calls, the video doesnt lie. For each bad call the club it went against gets $10k. :) that would fix the problem right fast, especially if it was from their salary. Cummins annual tax return, -$210k ;-p