• A+

• A

• B

• C

• F-

Results are only viewable after voting.

wrighty

The replace Shaun Johnson with Lino brigade has fallen silent

That's where you are wrong. They were the people surreptitiously questioning whether Shaun Johnson had earned his salary tonight, and hence inferring we would be better off with the cheaper Lino. It was a subtle inference though and artfully done to avoid detection.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
The NRL should do something about the way the Storm slowly peel off tackles one by one. Either that or publically say "that's a fine way to get off the tackled player". Whichever is fine by me.

But the prime way in which the Warriors show lack of footy brains is that they watch the ref not punish the other side for slowing play the balls etc but don't that themselves. Typical New Zealanders, allow other people to treat them badly and don't do it back. If the ref suddenly decides "Hey! The Warriors just committed a penalty!" Roger Tuivasa-Sheck can go up and say "both sides have been doing it, mate, is it a penalty offense or not?"

Fairly happy with the performance and result. There was definitely something "off" about the whole game, Green being absent I guess and Luke going off just made it worse.

How good is it to be 8, 4 pts clear of 9, 4 pts and obviously a fair chunck of points differential off 1 and still be hacked off?

As for the refereeing stuff-ups, they've not cost us as much as the stuff-ups have cost the Raiders, to name just one team. And the NRL admit that was a stuff-up, the touchie putting his flag up, making all the Raiders players stop, thinking "Our ball!"...

Reactions: 1 users
We were penalised 7 times they were penalised ten times. Sounds like we got the better of the reffing?

Secondly while you may be unhappy with the odd call not going our way, my expectations for reffing are very low. This match was way better reff'd than say the sharks game where we were reff'd out of the game, or the Panthers game where they called us for forward passes that weren't forward.

Fairest reffing I have seen all year.

The one issue I had was there was an edict that went out that slow play the balls weren’t going to be tolerated. My god the ruck speed was slow. Cameron Smith is an epic wrestler.

Reactions: 3 users
I didn't think the reffing was bad, The Cam Smith head high on Ken was the only real blemish and as has already been mentioned, Smith did it in such a way that it was hard to see what had happened in real time but can't the bunker overrule on those calls anyway? It's what the refs didn't call against the Storm that's annoying but no refs do.

The Storm have turned slowing the tackle down into an art form. Kearney would know all about it having been part of their coaching staff, he just can't replicate it in our team. The Warriors did try to do the same thing in the first half of the season and were constantly penalised for it.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got back from NZ Warriors game and Jesus Christ, that honestly has to be some of single worse referring that I have seen in ages.

Seriously maybe I shouldn't be this harsh. Shit maybe they really are blind. I just wouldn't want be them on train ride home is all I've got to say ...

;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
[QUOTE="Fazz, post: 734291, member:

Now usually I'm the most negative cu** around.[/QUOTE]

I think I know a cleaning product that outstrips you x1000000 in the "most negative cu** around" category.

T_il_t du_k > you.

*edit - loling at my quote attempt fail.

• Haha
Manners is still handy on defence but like so many have mentioned before he’s becoming a liability on attack. We need to do some freaky Friday shit with him and Hiku

We are allowed to pass to someone else. And get him to run decoy lines which appear to be his best offensive weapons other than running it up.

Look. I do have a suggestion.

Copy the All Blacks and train all the forwards and backs at ball handling. Every forward in the All Blacks can catch and pass with quality speed and accuracy which comes from an emphasis on training it. Even if we have to do extras to achieve it.

Reactions: 6 users
Positives from the match.

Our pack didn't bend over and take it like prison bitches.

We competed until the end.

We backed ourselves.

Work ons from the match.

Dominating the play the ball.

Passing and catching (sigh _ it's a fundafuckingmental.)

Staying calm under pressure.

We could have won this game.

We didn't lose because of who played.

We lost because of HOW we played.

If we were calmer under pressure and handled and passed with accuracy we had a number of scoring opportunities that would have been completed.

Reactions: 7 users
[QUOTE="Run_it_str8, post: 734329, member: 4714"

We lost because of HOW we played.

If we were calmer under pressure and handled and passed with accuracy we had a number of scoring opportunities that would have been completed.[/QUOTE]

I've often complained that when the team get behind they think "Shit, we have to get back in front pronto!" where the smarter option is to look at the clock (on the digital display, it's quite small but it's on the bloody big video screen!) and say "We've got 60 minutes to turn this around, let's get some repeat sets out of them. Take it from there."

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
We are allowed to pass to someone else. And get him to run decoy lines which appear to be his best offensive weapons other than running it up.

Look. I do have a suggestion.

Copy the All Blacks and train all the forwards and backs at ball handling. Every forward in the All Blacks can catch and pass with quality speed and accuracy which comes from an emphasis on training it. Even if we have to do extras to achieve it.
Starts well before the All Blacks, way back at grass roots and jnr levels- where league struggles with basic skills unfortunately

Rugby League: Warriors coach Stephen Kearney takes aim at NRL referees

NZ Warriors Post Match Press Conference : https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/22/kearney-questions-a-few-decisions-in-loss-to-melbourne/

Warriors coach Stephen Kearney believes there is a serious issue with officiating in the NRL – and a solution needs to be urgently found.

While insisting he was not blaming the referees for the Warriors 12-6 loss to the Storm – he repeatedly stressed that Melbourne were the better team, and his side weren't quite good enough – Kearney was left stunned by some strange decisions on Sunday.

Several big calls went against the home side, with a few quite inexplicable and clearly wrong.

In the wake of Ricky Stuart's outburst on Friday night, after the Raiders' controversial loss to the Sharks, Kearney agreed that the men with the whistle weren't currently up to the mark.

"I think there is a problem [with the refereeing]," said Kearney. "Unfortunately they have been poorly led. They get a directive [from the NRL] at the start of the year to blow the pea out of the whistle and 13 rounds in that changes again."

"It's just about that consistency and I feel for them at the moment. There is enough smart people in our game to get it sorted, and we need to make sure we do something about it. It's a bit of a blight on our game at the minute."

The most obvious example occurred midway through the second half on Sunday, when Warriors winger Ken Maumalo smashed through three tackles in a 40m burst towards halfway, before being stopped by Cameron Smith. Smith's tackle looked high, but as Maumalo went to play the ball the referees found an invisible knock on.

"Ken's one was a pretty obvious one," said Kearney. "They are moments for them, and as Ricky alluded to the other day, they are game changers. They turn the momentum of the game."

The officials earned the ire of the crowd with their inconsistent policing of the ten metre rule, as the Australian side spent almost the entire match parked in the Warriors backline.

"We get penalised for leaving our line too early, a couple of minutes before the end of the game," said Kearney. "[Then] we head up and are on their try line and by the time we catch the ball they are in our face."

Kearney was also frustrated by the Storm's ability to seemingly enjoy carte blanche in the ruck, as they constantly slowed the play, often without punishment.

"They are under a bit of pressure at the moment the officials," said Kearney.

"We got an email at the start of the week [from the NRL] and they said they were going to look at the crowding of the play the ball and that it is taking too long for guys to get off tackles. I look at tonight and I'm thinking...I don't know if they sent themselves that email. They probably needed to read the email themselves. [Melbourne] were slow peeling off and that's what we get confused about as footy clubs."

Source : https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12093443

:(

Reactions: 13 users

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
imo the game was fun to watch, could have kicked Mannering in the butt, when he threw the ball away, could have done the same to Tevaga when he did the same thing. I thought the game could have broken open both ways, but the dominance shifted late in the second half for about 5-10 mins and then the warriors came back hard.
There were some errors by both teams, that looked unusual, but the game plan of both sides to play it out the wings early which made sense for the storm with the warriors having lost Blake on one side and the recently formed and still unbalanced (not sure that is the correct term) pairing on the other. The warriors were IMO trying to avoid playing down the middle as much as possible with a lot of early ball movement and welcome back Bunty, love his runs
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was brilliant.
Thought the reffing was fairly neutral, the certainly didnt affect the outcome that was all the warriors and the storm and IMO thats the best a ref can do.
Mason was really hot and cold, which was unfortunate but i really feel with some more game time he could grown into something special. On the other hand i dont want him to get that game time because Green is out, so i really hope they dont need him for the rest of the year.

Looking forward to the return of Pulu, Harris, and Green. Watching with antici... ...pation the development of Beale with Fusitua, that side was solid on defense but needs time to gell on attack. I think Mannering will do better from the bench, with less minutes (maybe like they used Thaiday with him only being out there 15 minutes at a time) and lastly so want to see the whole team healthy (thats you luke, fix your calf) and available for selection so we can really see what this team is capable of.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Rugby League: Warriors coach Stephen Kearney takes aim at NRL referees

NZ Warriors Post Match Press Conference : https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/22/kearney-questions-a-few-decisions-in-loss-to-melbourne/

Warriors coach Stephen Kearney believes there is a serious issue with officiating in the NRL – and a solution needs to be urgently found.

While insisting he was not blaming the referees for the Warriors 12-6 loss to the Storm – he repeatedly stressed that Melbourne were the better team, and his side weren't quite good enough – Kearney was left stunned by some strange decisions on Sunday.

Several big calls went against the home side, with a few quite inexplicable and clearly wrong.

In the wake of Ricky Stuart's outburst on Friday night, after the Raiders' controversial loss to the Sharks, Kearney agreed that the men with the whistle weren't currently up to the mark.

"I think there is a problem [with the refereeing]," said Kearney. "Unfortunately they have been poorly led. They get a directive [from the NRL] at the start of the year to blow the pea out of the whistle and 13 rounds in that changes again."

"It's just about that consistency and I feel for them at the moment. There is enough smart people in our game to get it sorted, and we need to make sure we do something about it. It's a bit of a blight on our game at the minute."

The most obvious example occurred midway through the second half on Sunday, when Warriors winger Ken Maumalo smashed through three tackles in a 40m burst towards halfway, before being stopped by Cameron Smith. Smith's tackle looked high, but as Maumalo went to play the ball the referees found an invisible knock on.

"Ken's one was a pretty obvious one," said Kearney. "They are moments for them, and as Ricky alluded to the other day, they are game changers. They turn the momentum of the game."

The officials earned the ire of the crowd with their inconsistent policing of the ten metre rule, as the Australian side spent almost the entire match parked in the Warriors backline.

"We get penalised for leaving our line too early, a couple of minutes before the end of the game," said Kearney. "[Then] we head up and are on their try line and by the time we catch the ball they are in our face."

Kearney was also frustrated by the Storm's ability to seemingly enjoy carte blanche in the ruck, as they constantly slowed the play, often without punishment.

"They are under a bit of pressure at the moment the officials," said Kearney.

"We got an email at the start of the week [from the NRL] and they said they were going to look at the crowding of the play the ball and that it is taking too long for guys to get off tackles. I look at tonight and I'm thinking...I don't know if they sent themselves that email. They probably needed to read the email themselves. [Melbourne] were slow peeling off and that's what we get confused about as footy clubs."

Source : https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12093443

:(
The ken mamaulo thing didnt worry me, as he cocked up. He got up and tried to play the ball, only he hadnt been tackled. He should have gotten up and run. The 10 meter thing you never see on the tv, i have always wanted them to put a window on the screen showing the lines formed up at the play of the ball, but for some reason they never do that. And as for the wrestle, i actually felt they were tackling with better numbers, but were being allowed to stay close to the ruck, and interfering in the play more often. But since the warriors thing where Luke got the ball thrown at him, this seems to no longer be an issue in the NRL. So IMO that was just them taking advantage of sloppy reffing. A bit like knowing they wont blow the whistle for running behind your own player as long as a try isnt scored.

Starts well before the All Blacks, way back at grass roots and jnr levels- where league struggles with basic skills unfortunately

Agreed. But in the NRL the forwards with handling skills I can name off the top of my head are (not including hookers).

Asiata
Sutton

Fucked if i know who else.

Reffing was shit but at the end of the day it was poor execution on our part which cost us the game. I lost count of the number of times we gave the ball away on attacking sets...just dumbass mistakes that shouldn't be happening. Dunno how we can go from smashing the Broncos last week to this