General NRL 2018 Round 11 - General Discussion

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I think the weekend results show that the NRL is a very even competition and that any team off their guard a little are going to get beaten. For those who need reminding the Eels thrashed Manly this season.

It also shows the effect of losing an experienced leader in Cameron Smith. I thought Blake Green did a good job for the Warriors yesterday but I suspect the captaincy weighed a little on his own game making me value Roger Tuivasa-Sheck even more.

On points differential the Knights should be at the bottom of the table, and I suspect that is where they might end up yet they sit 10th.

Just saying like.

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
Im looking at these games and thinking the sin binning is out of control. yes I think it should be used. but not to the extent it is. its not changing anything except ruining the flow of games. ok you could say a team deserves something for 4 penalties in a row. i agree. i think though thats what a penalty is and its up to the team whether they shoot for goal or not. 12 men down is much more than a try in many circumstances. but, there isnt an in between, thats the problem. both are extremes, not sin binning is too light and sin binning so much is too much.

it was a year a go when a player could be tackled with no one in front of him and they would only get a penalty, now its either a send off, sin bin plus penalty try.

last night the melb player struck out (the guy knows how to throw straights as that eye swelled up immediately), and fairly got sent off. yet the manly player got coming in with a blind side and got a sin bin. how the .... is that fair?

im all for sin bins and such, but it just feels like the refs are poking their tongues out at coaches and clubs for complaining about slow play the balls. yet before they werent even penalising, now its straight to handing out soft penalties and 4 in a row your off. Not an easy job but I sense its more an over reaction to complaints on their reffing.

Reactions: jonesy101

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
On points differential the Knights should be at the bottom of the table, and I suspect that is where they might end up yet they sit 10th.

Just saying like.
Ive already called the nits for spoon again, just to keep things consistent. but definitely pearce and co have made a difference, but they were at one stage 5th with -60.

i know a lot of knights people and love going to the club to watch games or drink etc, they were all expecting a bit more improvement than has occured. yet Andrew Johns laughed at billy slater on TV when he said the warriors would be the most improved club, yet old Cokey AJ said prior to slaters turn it would be his club the knights. i wish i had saved that clip.

SUCK EGGS AJ and your brother for the .... they have hung on NZ over the years.

Any news on Johnstons hamstring from SOuths, I dont think Sam Burgess looked like he will miss a game. But Johnston and their NSW 9 are the 2 players to be scared of in Souths.

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Coromandel
i know a lot of knights people and love going to the club to watch games or drink etc, they were all expecting a bit more improvement than has occured. yet Andrew Johns laughed at billy slater on TV when he said the warriors would be the most improved club, yet old Cokey AJ said prior to slaters turn it would be his club the knights. i wish i had saved that clip.

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2012
Invercargill
Im looking at these games and thinking the sin binning is out of control. yes I think it should be used. but not to the extent it is. its not changing anything except ruining the flow of games. ok you could say a team deserves something for 4 penalties in a row. i agree. i think though thats what a penalty is and its up to the team whether they shoot for goal or not. 12 men down is much more than a try in many circumstances. but, there isnt an in between, thats the problem. both are extremes, not sin binning is too light and sin binning so much is too much.

it was a year a go when a player could be tackled with no one in front of him and they would only get a penalty, now its either a send off, sin bin plus penalty try.

last night the melb player struck out (the guy knows how to throw straights as that eye swelled up immediately), and fairly got sent off. yet the manly player got coming in with a blind side and got a sin bin. how the .... is that fair?

im all for sin bins and such, but it just feels like the refs are poking their tongues out at coaches and clubs for complaining about slow play the balls. yet before they werent even penalising, now its straight to handing out soft penalties and 4 in a row your off. Not an easy job but I sense its more an over reaction to complaints on their reffing.
I think the bunker was telling the ref that the Manly play needed to be sent off for his punch too. But the ref misinterpretted it as sin bin only.

Interesting to see how Melbourne function without Cameron Smith reffing the game for them.

Reactions: Inruin

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
The words that made Melbourne Storm's Curtis Scott go off on Dylan Walker
03:40
Melbourne star Curtis Scott was sent off for a brutal punch on Manly's Dylan Walker, but it has been revealed the reason for Scott's ire following the game.

The Storm youngster became the first player sent off since 2015 after unleashing a flurry of punches that left Walker with a suspected cheekbone fracture.

Scott was sent off, while Walker and Manly’s Api Koroisau were both sin binned for their parts in the wild brawl that ensued.

“He (Walker) was at Scott all game, telling him ‘You’ll never be anything, you’re a nothing’,” a source at the match told WWOS.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F05%2F20%2F12%2F21%2F2005_punch_ENV.jpg

Photo: AAP
“He could see it got under Scott’s skin. Then he kept saying ‘Hit me, hit me’… so Scott did.”

Scott faces a two to three week ban for the brain snap, and Koroisau is also likely to be charged for punching.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy was philosophical about the incident.

“Curtis needs to learn from it,” the veteran coach said.

• Haha
Reactions: Citygirl

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
I think the bunker was telling the ref that the Manly play needed to be sent off for his punch too. But the ref misinterpretted it as sin bin only.

Interesting to see how Melbourne function without Cameron Smith reffing the game for them.
Yep thats what I heard, how the flap did the ref not hear it... I guess he had a lot going on. You cant blame Melb for being a little dirty, yes they instigated a fight, but Manly should have been down to 12 for most of the match as well and they had SOOO many calls go their way.

Have a look at the eye on the bottom pic of the report, cant condone that behavior can we. What did he say to get that, I mean I wonder what was really said at the time.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/20...nd-more-time-on-the-sidelines-through-injury/

You can see hear in this where Kearney gets his focus on completion rate from lol. Bennett to Bellamy to Kearney to Bennett to Kearney :)

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/05/19/storm-press-conference--round-11/

Last edited:

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
The words that made Melbourne Storm's Curtis Scott go off on Dylan Walker
03:40
Melbourne star Curtis Scott was sent off for a brutal punch on Manly's Dylan Walker, but it has been revealed the reason for Scott's ire following the game.

The Storm youngster became the first player sent off since 2015 after unleashing a flurry of punches that left Walker with a suspected cheekbone fracture.

Scott was sent off, while Walker and Manly’s Api Koroisau were both sin binned for their parts in the wild brawl that ensued.

“He (Walker) was at Scott all game, telling him ‘You’ll never be anything, you’re a nothing’,” a source at the match told WWOS.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F05%2F20%2F12%2F21%2F2005_punch_ENV.jpg

Photo: AAP
“He could see it got under Scott’s skin. Then he kept saying ‘Hit me, hit me’… so Scott did.”

Scott faces a two to three week ban for the brain snap, and Koroisau is also likely to be charged for punching.

Storm coach Craig Bellamy was philosophical about the incident.

“Curtis needs to learn from it,” the veteran coach said.

Ok thank you, that photo is the first punch which wasnt the one that did the eye, the last straight right was the one that connected flush.

Pretty foul from the Manly player to come in with a blind sider though, who was the manly player again? Thats just wrong.

Reminds me of Oneill when he got a head high then in concussion state chased after Danny Williams and blind sided him. Although that was very bizarre to watch at the time. There has been a few over the years. Brent Tate in a SoO fight comes to mind, refs missed that one too.

This game is a big one, come on Raiders, do us a Solid. And then Panthers v Dragons next week, actually other way isnt it, anyway, either way we win in that game. We have a chance to be equal top (2nd) if we win next week.

Last edited:

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016

Oh thank you thank you thank you. Gonna make a special gif out of it for my Maitland/Cessnock friends. Nothing like somebody really making a fool of themselves ahead of time.

I remember our first GF that year the footy show all wrote us off as wooden spoon, and sterlo laughing his nut off (I like him but he got that wrong).

Raiders doing what they have had in them all year, I still rate them as a chance of the 8.

I agree with the Dragons taking the two. You add up all the penalties at the moment and its a game winner with someone like Whipit kicking. Thats where I think the Warriors have followed suit a bit and works with Lino, but when Johnson is back Im not sure why Luke isnt kicking. Fact is we have nobody over 80%, but Luke was close to that wasnt he?

Whipit kicking 35m from the sideline, ie 40ish metres on the acute angle, nails it. Maybe the Halligan/Ridge era is coming back of taking the 2.

Last edited:

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Gee Walker is out for six weeks....that is fkd up.

I'm a bit bias in this whole affair....Walker I knew his great Grandfather from PItcairn...no joke...lived with my family in Papakura when I was a kid...I watched the old man carve rubbish scraps of wood into Fish, Birds and Turtles....he was Hemmingways old man and the sea....catch a fish or starve....

If it happened in a pub the perp would be locked up....sport is bullshit on violence....especially the slap on the wrist after head shots.

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Curtis scott charged and will miss 2 games. Woulda been 3 games but the number of mins he played before being sent off played a part in the one game discount. WTF!

Nrl is quickly becoming a disgrace.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings