Game Information

01 Jan 1970 12:00PM

# Player Player #

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Warriors have packed their sleeping pills for the flight home, but they won't need em.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Anyone else feel that our whole fitness advantage seems to have gon backwards last few weeks. We look a little slower, a bit more lethargic and less energetic and flat. Other teams have almost caught up or surpassed us. How does that happen? Is it just the boys not use to a gruelling pre season so now it feels like they are at the end of the season rather than the middle? Did we hit our peak too early?

Other teams are aiming up against top four sides ?

Being competition higher uppers doesn't seem to suit too well either.

It will be a mental thing as is ninety percent of the Warriors woes as a unit.

As long as they keep bouncing back after losses I tend to think they will get through the doldrums and have more this year than years past later in the year, the last part...the most important part of the puzzle is surely the unfortunate run of injuries and how that plays on their at times fragile mentality.

Vancent

😷
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
I cant see us winning this game, call it a sixth sense. However ive been wrong every time ive said that this year so maybe they will surprise me. This just has ambush written all over it.
Hate to be negative but that’s exactly how I’m feeling.

Last week felt like 2017 so I’ve got the 2017 anxiety building.......FFS.

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
Anyone else see Beale is not playing ISP. Surely he must play on Friday now. Would SK really stop his return from injury just for cover? I don't think Lino will be playing

Reactions: Big_Fattz

Stalefish540

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
Anyone else see Beale is not playing ISP. Surely he must play on Friday now. Would SK really stop his return from injury just for cover? I don't think Lino will be playing
ISP play in Sydney on Saturday anyway, so if he doesn't end up playing FG he will stay on with the ISP and play.

edit - i'm assuming that can still happen even if you arn't named in ISP??

Weno

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 3, 2012
Takairangi was on fire against the Doggie's.

More worried about Hiku containing Takairangi than Jazz over Lawton.

Kata and Ken V The Jennings brothers.
Can there brutality overcome the speed and skill.

Reactions: Big_Fattz and Sup42

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
Yea I don’t have a good feeling about this game either. Its something about parra. They just feel dangerous. It feels like thier gonna have a break out game and go on a 5 game win streak after thumping us. I also thought my 4th wife was the one but she left me for a dairy owner in Pakaranga so what the fuck do I know.

TripleL

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2016
Shaun Johnson is TERRIBLE at defence lol. When was the last time you saw him tackle twice in a set? Dude makes his safe tackles and runs out to the wing until we get the ball back. As I said above, Teams aim for Shaun Johnson ALL THE TIME because they know that If they run at him, hes most likely gonna need help to take them down. Yeah we've seen him put a shot on every now and then, but If you wanna sit there and act like he's AWESOME at defence you gotta be kidding brother. He's one of our worst defenders and the biggest target with ball in hand.
Bhahaha
“Runs out to the wing...”
Either doesn’t watch or is trolling.
And no shit Johnson is one of our worst defenders - along with Green and Hiku (worst) but he’s fine for his position.
Laters

WarriorBall

The way I see it Parra’s pack is well down on quality troops atm so it’s pretty simple, turn up with the right attitude and play like we have done and we’ll pick up the two points.

Latest: Beau Scott set to be ruled out with a shoulder injury, Alvaro still needs to clear concussion protocol, Niukore set to start with Vave coming onto the bench.

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Shaun Johnson is TERRIBLE at defence lol. When was the last time you saw him tackle twice in a set? Dude makes his safe tackles and runs out to the wing until we get the ball back. As I said above, Teams aim for Shaun Johnson ALL THE TIME because they know that If they run at him, hes most likely gonna need help to take them down. Yeah we've seen him put a shot on every now and then, but If you wanna sit there and act like he's AWESOME at defence you gotta be kidding brother. He's one of our worst defenders and the biggest target with ball in hand.

A team targeting a halfback on defence? Who'd have thunk it.

Incidently out of Green, Shaun Johnson, and Lino, Shaun Johnson currently has the best tackle efficiency rate out of our halves. So he's basically our best defending halfback.

Not only that his defence is currently better than the likes of Maloney, Mitchell Moses, luke Brooks and Jonathon Thurston just to name a few.

Oh and and out of our whole regular backline currently only Solomone Kata has a better tackle efficiency rate.....so if he's one of our worst defenders fuck we're screwed.

Last edited:

Swanley

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 13, 2012
Tonbridge, Kent, UK
I cant see us winning this game, call it a sixth sense. However ive been wrong every time ive said that this year so maybe they will surprise me. This just has ambush written all over it.
This is my gut feeling as well. I think starting out of the blocks fast has been good for us, but everyone is catching up now.

I'll be happy just making the 8 this year.

wrighty

We will know who will win within 2 minutes

The warriors will either turn up on the first defensive and offensive set or they won’t turn up all night

Against the roosters the chooks made easy metres on their first set and then Afoa fucked up on our third tackle and dropped the ball.
We duly lost from there
Nothing was wrong with the Lawton pass

Reminded me of the World Cup final in England against Australia
We fumbled the ball on the first hit up and lost convincingly

Rugby league is slightly unique in that the start is so important.

Sometimes you can even read a bunch into the first collision

Eg we got knocked back by the broncos on the first carry.

Crappy McFukkup

Warriors Bench Player
Jun 28, 2016
Firstly congrats to the Warriors on the start to the season. Normally we've only managed 2 or 3 wins by this time of the year.

Secondly congrats for being part of the most dominant forward display so far this year ... unfortunately it was us getting trampled and bashed by one of the most dominant individual displays of controlled brutality in recent memory. Congratulations Dylan Napa - Top Shelf display ... Just like days gone by where Gordy Tallis would single-handedly ravage opposition Forward packs with and without the ball.

Credit where credit is due ... Ignatious was up for the challenge, everyone else, bar none, went missing BIG TIME.

I hope Steve Kearney has done nothing more than just play that footage over and over again ... Dylan Napa come to our back yard, spat on his hands, rubbed them together and single handedly ASS-FUKKED the whole of our forward pack for every minute he was on the field ... by the time JWH and Tetivano got on the field, the boys were terrified and they continued the bash-fest, but make no mistake - it was the Dylan Napa show, and we got OWNED. He cocked a leg, pissed all over us, and all we did was say "Thank-You"

Disappointing, embarrassing, demoralising ... the gauntlet was thrown down and we had nothing.

The question now becomes; Are the boys good enough, embarrassed enough, hungry enough to make amends for dropping their nuts last week ... or will the OWNERSHIP Dylan Napa put on them be the first domino in another failed season.

I can only hope not, I can only hope that we show absolute mongrel distain for what happened last week, and our WHOLE forward pack rips the Eels to pieces as a collective unit, ruthless for 80mins, and rectifies the ledger, cause at the moment, there is a blueprint on the table that says, like the Roosters did; if you are prepared to Give It to The Warriors up Main St, they will conceed the physical battle after 15-20minutes.

That's not the sort of reputation you build a footy team around ... and it's certainly not the "foundation" that you can then fairly level any criticism at our halves and/or backs on for their contributions.

Our forwards must be collectively brutal for long periods of time this week, and ongoing ... we need to be cleansed after the Roosters impaled us on home soil !!!

BlaqAdam

Warriors Bench Player
Mar 5, 2016
Bhahaha
“Runs out to the wing...”
Either doesn’t watch or is trolling.
And no shit Johnson is one of our worst defenders - along with Green and Hiku (worst) but he’s fine for his position.
Laters
Trolling lol.. Dont make me laugh.
Hiku and Kata aren't that great on defence either. Hiku is passive on defence and cant make tackles and Kata rushes out of the line leaving an overlap and we often get scored on in both instances. Believe me man I've watched the Warriors FOR YEARS. this is a known thing that Shaun Johnson makes takes here and there he doesnt really get bumped off or shrugged, but put it this way If he was at the fullback position given his skillset and running abilities and gifts, is he making that one on one tackle or not? Im going with no. Ive read his numbers but knowing that hes most likely defending next to a forward, alot of them would be 3rd man tackles. In other words, stat padding.

Last edited:

BlaqAdam

Warriors Bench Player
Mar 5, 2016
A team targeting a halfback on defence? Who'd have thunk it.

Incidently out of Green, Shaun Johnson, and Lino, Shaun Johnson currently has the best tackle efficiency rate out of our halves. So he's basically our best defending halfback.

Not only that his defence is currently better than the likes of Maloney, Mitchell Moses, luke Brooks and Jonathon Thurston just to name a few.

Oh and and out of our whole regular backline currently only Solomone Kata has a better tackle efficiency rate.....so if he's one of our worst defenders fuck we're screwed.

Watch the roosters game and you; realise that their props were running at our halves and hooker frequently trying not to take our bigs head on. Reason why Lisone got the crap kicked out of him was becuase he ran straight at Hargraves and Nappa (Both huge dudes). What Im saying is, intangables is what Im getting at. Numbers arent the be all end all bro. Yes Kata has quite a high tackle EFFICIENCY, but is very bad at reading and Often rushes out to shut down a pass and majority of the time leaves an overlap agasint us. people score all the time because he does that. Roosters scored through him doing that and probably couldve done it more than once if they skip passed it. In terms of Shaun Johnson, yes he does make tackles, but he also goes missing on defense alot of the time. Thing i liked about Hingano was that he wasnt afraid of ANYONE on the field, willing to fly at anyone at the drop of a hat, We need that from Shaun Johnson too. Often enough he's the 3rd man in a tackle and with how fast todays game is, 3rd man doesnt always need to be there so its a stat pad. I agree 100% with those you name Moses and brooks are a headache to watch on defence and thats because opposing props know to run at them to get the best yardage.. Thurstons is unfourtunate, but I feel like half the time he puts a lil effort in. He can take the contact, he just cant dish it out.

BlaqAdam

Warriors Bench Player
Mar 5, 2016
Why don't you put a poll up and we can see how many agree with you. Johnson struggle on defence in his early years (like most halves) but as pointed out by others he is a strong defender now. Not my fault you are stubborn and can't face facts that players change (for better or worse). You probably think the Morris twins are still killing it like they were 5 years ago.

Yeah I get that, Ive watched Shaun Johnson since he played 20s. But for him to fianlly be a 'strong'defender in his 8th year of NRL is trash.

Efficiency/tackles made/missed/Ineffective:

Rd1 = 92.9% 13-1-0
Rd 2 = 78.3% 18-1-4
Rd 3 = 75% 21-7-0
Rd 5 = 87.5% 14-2-0
Rd 6 = 90.5% 19-1-1
Rd 9 = 72.7% 8-2-1

7 missed tackles in Rd 3.. 'Strong'defence there aye ? haha
Only comendable performance was his 19-1-1 which he still got shrugged and missed a tackle but hey, more power to you.
calling me stubborn is very unkind lol. Aww you mean the Morris twins in the NBA right? whatever bro.

Crappy McFukkup

Warriors Bench Player
Jun 28, 2016
Yeah I get that, Ive watched Shaun Johnson since he played 20s. But for him to fianlly be a 'strong'defender in his 8th year of NRL is trash.

Efficiency/tackles made/missed/Ineffective:

Rd1 = 92.9% 13-1-0
Rd 2 = 78.3% 18-1-4
Rd 3 = 75% 21-7-0
Rd 5 = 87.5% 14-2-0
Rd 6 = 90.5% 19-1-1
Rd 9 = 72.7% 8-2-1

7 missed tackles in Rd 3.. 'Strong'defence there aye ? haha
Only comendable performance was his 19-1-1 which he still got shrugged and missed a tackle but hey, more power to you.
calling me stubborn is very unkind lol. Aww you mean the Morris twins in the NBA right? whatever bro.

I don't disagree that Shaun Johnson isn't the strongest defender ... but this year more than the 2 previous, he's getting his body in front of the runners. When we played the Cows, he most certainly shouldered up against JT and gave a good account of himself on D as well as attack.

But his primary function is implementing the attacking structures. There's no one in the NRL that is paid $1M+ because they are a brilliant defender ... Can Smith aside, most of the $1M+ guys have poor defensive stats.

They are typically smaller guys getting run at/over by guys 20KG heavier than them. Getting their bodies in front is about all you can ask when you're giving away that much weight and you want to keep your key guys on the field.

It's no secret that we struggle without Shaun Johnson.

It's no secret that opposition teams target him in defence.

If the insides and markers pushed a touch harder, Shaun isn't having to make 25+ tackle attempts per game.

I will give credit where credit is due... Shaun Johnson has looked better on D this year. Better intent ... and his game management and selecting the right times to take on the opposition is very impressive.

You much rather have him in your side than not ... I'm pretty sure 16/16 NRL coaches would agree !!??

Crappy McFukkup

Warriors Bench Player
Jun 28, 2016
One other thing I love about Shaun Johnson, he always gets up against the Tigers ... always has, I think he really takes the Luke Brooks match-up personally ... There was a lot talk about what Shaun could be when he hit the scenes in 2011, Luke Brooks was there or there-abouts timing-wise too ... Brooks was said to have the goods to be the next Joey ... Brooks plays on the same edge as Shaun Johnson ... Quite often there is an interview with Shaun Johnson before Warriors play Tigers and the Aussies always seem to ask Shaun Johnson about Brooks and his thoughts on how good he's going ... Shaun is humble, gives LB his dues ... and then, for as long as I can remember ... Shaun Johnson completely dominates him every time they compete.

How good would it be if every NRL team had a Luke Brooks hahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings