Tedster

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 29, 2014
Kata/Hiku v Gagai/Inglis.

upload_2018-3-6_19-45-4.jpeg

Penpal

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 22, 2014
Yes it was only a trial but Papali'i looked a class above anyone else - Mannering excluded - on defence in the Titans trial did he not?
Showed desire to make a couple of try-saving tackles and never shirked the work.
God knows we need defence with Mannering gone.
All in all though I see us as having the squad of a team who will finish somewhere between 12-16 depending on injuries and the form of other teams in the same boat. Have just read through the other team lists and that seems pretty clear. Realistically the best we can hope for is to exceed those expectations with an 8th or 7th finish and gradually over the next year or two decent players will consider coming to the Warriors for reasons other than they are offering shitloads more than any other club is willing to pay for their services.

WarriorBall

Really don't get the shade on Papalii, hes one of the best defenders at the club, looks one of the fittest and loves to get stuck into a truck load of work. Dallas Johnson comes to mind.

Felt that way about his lack of size when he graded last year but he’s proven himself to be a workaholic on defence and his tackle efficiency is excellent so I’m comfortable with him making the side in place of Mannering.

If he does nothing but help to shutdown the Bunnies right side attack he’s done his job imo.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Felt that way about his lack of size when he graded last year but he’s proven himself to be a workaholic on defence and his tackle efficiency is excellent so I’m comfortable with him making the side in place of Mannering.

If he does nothing but help to shutdown the Bunnies right side attack he’s done his job imo.

Papalii is immensely strong, particularly for one so young. As for size, Gallen and Whatmough didn't do too bad.

I actually think we stand a show, a few Bunnies are coming off injuries so in the heat and our better fitness, why not. Keep the pressure on them and be accurate.

The Truth

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 17, 2013
Kata to make at least 3 errors.....in the first half.
Maumalo to drop a couple of balls....in the first half.

Like others have said, I really thought that Kearney was talking about Kata when talking about players learning first grade, in first grade as no one else was there. Utterly disappointed in seeing him make this team. I don’t care if he scores a try, it’s his consistent misreads and dumb plays that would have him in reserve grade in any other team.

Would love to see CNK take that spot until Beale gets back. Then have him move out one.
I would love to have Kata prove me wrong also but I’m 99% sure that he won’t.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
i actually rate Kata on defence, i think to many people are overlooking his efforts and his one on one work rate. On attack i worry that he has yet to be the team player that the warriors need. And seriously if the warriors cant lose any 1 player (mannering in this case) and win they are fucked.

TripleL

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2016
I am surprised Pulu wasn’t named to start on the left edge - he played predominantly there for the titans, didn’t he?
Admittedly I haven’t seen a lot of Papali’i but I thought was a middle of the field player. Does he have the ball skills to play wider? Happy to be corrected, or proven wrong.
Kata and Ken is what it is. Not sure the alternatives jump out... Maomalo did improve as the year went on (and can’t fault his effort).

Trugoy

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 3, 2016
I've got no qualms with Papali'i starting.
Like Stalefish said, I see him similar to a Dallas Johnson type.. solid, tough, hearty workaholic.
With Mannering out we'll need him locking the middle up on D. I reckon he's ready to handle it.
Aside from that no real surprises.
I thought Pulu would've started over Sao but that's allgood, Pulu had some stormers off the bench for the Titans last year.
Not holding my breath for a win but looking forward to the new season kicking off and hopeful as ever!!
Go Warriors!!!

Last edited:

Ref

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Rotorua
Kata and Maumolo were pretty decent in the trials. They both seemed to play a lot smarter.
If they were playing for their spots, they did enough.... for now.

Papalii has been talked up as an industrious and effective defender.
I'd like to think I have seen enough in small glimpses of his attack that this me also be a decent string to his bow.

WarriorBall

I've got no qualms with Papali'i starting.
Like Stalefish I see him similar to a Dallas Johnson type.. solid, tough, hearty workaholic.
With Mannering out we'll need him locking the middle up on D. I reckon he's ready to handle it.
Aside from that no real surprises.
I thought Pulu would've started over Sao but that's allgood, Pulu had some stormers off the bench for the Titans last year.
Not holding my breath for a win but looking forward to the new season kicking off and hopeful as ever!!
Go Warriors!!!

I think Pulu's being held back from starting because of his strong defense and high workrate, we'll need it when George Burgess & Co come off the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings