• A

• B

• C+

• F

• Z-

Results are only viewable after voting.
Maraea

Maraea

This year i am in the habit of watching metres gained. When the Warriors make consistently good metres per set i think theyre in this still good energy. Bout the 60min mark their metres dropped. Storms line speed had increased of course as well. Warriors line speed nonexistent. arriors didnt make over 40 metres fir about 15 mins and storm made bout 60 avge during that time. They also scored. Warriors dropped off and clocked off for the last 20 or so. Matulino didnt bring much impact, no one off the bench did. But the line speed and the visible drop in effort was telling. What can you do abou that?

Reactions: 2 users
mrblonde

mrblonde

Looking forward to Sunday. Which, to be fair, I'd be looking forward to if we'd repeated the 0-42 but I'm looking forward to it with a hell of a lot more confidence.

On that performance, we're a Top 8 side. Top 4? That's in the lap of the gods to a certain extent however we play but most likely no. That said, I'm looking forward to a finals game at Mt Smart, Sudden Death or not...

Reactions: 3 users
brightman

brightman

This year i am in the habit of watching metres gained. When the Warriors make consistently good metres per set i think theyre in this still good energy. Bout the 60min mark their metres dropped. Storms line speed had increased of course as well. Warriors line speed nonexistent. arriors didnt make over 40 metres fir about 15 mins and storm made bout 60 avge during that time. They also scored. Warriors dropped off and clocked off for the last 20 or so. Matulino didnt bring much impact, no one off the bench did. But the line speed and the visible drop in effort was telling. What can you do abou that?
Yeah I know what you mean, basically they need to reduce the penalty count which will lighten their defensive workload and transfer it to the opposition. It's simple in theory and all Kearney has been saying for ages. Greater efficiency will lead to more better opportunities, then our superior natural flair for attack will shine just like the Kiwis did..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
InsideBall

InsideBall

Watching this game in the cold light of the morning, I have to say, my immediate impression was one of - that was a really good effort by the boys. The stuck with it the whole game, had periods of genuine ascendancy, and barely lost to (by far) the best team in the comp.

The problem, with this particular game, was that we're just never going to beat the Storm at our current level of development, with Kearney's system. It just isn't going to happen. We're trying to out-Melbourne Melbourne, and we simply aren't good enough YET, to do that. The only way we could have won that game is to start throwing the ball around, get lucky and make some amazing plays. The flipside of that, is that if we're not on, drop a bunch of balls and have it blow up in our faces and get rolled.

We're a developing team, and if we could keep this squad together for another 3 years, to grow together within Kearney's system, I honestly feel like we could get to the point that we could be consistently playing at a high level, and win a lot of games. But here is the real problem... we're not going to be able to. Losing Kieran is going to be such a massive blow, the whole team is basically operating around him right now. When he leaves, we're rebuilding... again. Ugh.

Afakasi247

Afakasi247

Watching this game in the cold light of the morning, I have to say, my immediate impression was one of - that was a really good effort by the boys. The stuck with it the whole game, had periods of genuine ascendancy, and barely lost to (by far) the best team in the comp.

The problem, with this particular game, was that we're just never going to beat the Storm at our current level of development, with Kearney's system. It just isn't going to happen. We're trying to out-Melbourne Melbourne, and we simply aren't good enough YET, to do that. The only way we could have won that game is to start throwing the ball around, get lucky and make some amazing plays. The flipside of that, is that if we're not on, drop a bunch of balls and have it blow up in our faces and get rolled.

We're a developing team, and if we could keep this squad together for another 3 years, to grow together within Kearney's system, I honestly feel like we could get to the point that we could be consistently playing at a high level, and win a lot of games. But here is the real problem... we're not going to be able to. Losing Kieran is going to be such a massive blow, the whole team is basically operating around him right now. When he leaves, we're rebuilding... again. Ugh.
I agree with most of your post.

KF is an important player. But, IMO, he's just a cog in the machine.

I know, Mr Obvious right? What I'm saying is this Shaun Johnson's team and he only needs a partner in crime who can straighten the attack and keep the attention of the D in two minds.

To allow Shaun Johnson the space and time to do what he can do.

KF does this beautifully. But, we can build another KF in a Lino or an Ata Hingano.

There's a lot of emphasis on KF and what he brings to the team. But a total rebuild if he doesn't stay?

Hell no.

Best believe Ata and Lino are learning all they can about how to control the game and be the best assistant to Shaun Johnson.

Ata didn't do a bad job to start the year. Most games he's been 18th man so he's constantly in the first grade frame soaking up how to be a KF.

Long story short it KF stays, sweet.

If not, and pending Shaun Johnson actually re-signs and SK chooses a long-term number 6 out of either Ata or Lino (local talent not subject to leaving anywhere for family reasons) I believe we will be just fine.

Raurimu Massive

Raurimu Massive

I'm as pissed off at the refs as the next bloke (considerably less pissed off than my mrs though, by God she was nearly feral at one stage), but despite a massively improved effort, we mostly have ourselves to blame again.

For the most part, the lads were bloody great; seeing our defence scramble so well for the bulk of the match was heartening to see, but sadly it was some of the basics of defence that let us down in the end. For the last 10-15 mins, we barely ever had two markers in place, and the hole in the middle was all too easy for the Storm to exploit.

My biggest beef on attack isn't our last tackle options now days, it's the sluggish play the ball work. Luke has improved this season, but all too often his service from dh means whoever is hitting the ball up barely makes it a metre past the advantage line before he is greeted by defenders. Not only does he barely move forwards to commit markers to him, in one play last night, he actually stepped back a pace or two, and our runner didn't even reach the advantage line.

I can't fully blame Luke, as there are a combination of things required to get good, quick ruck speed - too often, our players don't seem to realise that defenders in a team with great line speed are charging as soon as the ball is on the ground to be played back. A lack of urgency there costs us dearly. We see the same lack of urgency at marker defence.

It's as if we concentrate so much on getting attacking shape and defensive patterns right, that we forget how much of the game is won and lost with the four players involved in the play-the-ball and dummy half work. It's gutting to see so much hard work undone.

Reactions: 6 users
¿N. ig-mah¿

¿N. ig-mah¿

My belief is that if you try to build a team around Shaun Johnson, you will fail. He will only ever deliver if the team is made up of hard-working, top-level, never-give-up player who can win without him. He is only ever a cameo in any game. He isn't an organiser. He isn't a leader. He isn't a premiership winner. He is a razzle-dazzle, individual brilliance, unthinking player. He needs to be an extra, not the central figure in a team. U need a true leader at 6, some real power and strength thru the middle, and superstar centres and wingers like the top teams have. Then he will truly shine.

Reactions: 8 users
Matulino's Left Shoulder

Matulino's Left Shoulder

f2JQzCl.jpg

Reactions: 11 users
Maraea

Maraea

Yeah I know what you mean, basically they need to reduce the penalty count which will lighten their defensive workload and transfer it to the opposition. It's simple in theory and all Kearney has been saying for ages. Greater efficiency will lead to more better opportunities, then our superior natural flair for attack will shine just like the Kiwis did..

Not really thinking that. Storm gifted the ball enough through error last night anyway.

Was thinking:
Storms line speed was quicker
Smithers is a pain pain pain
Ive never seen Kearney so animated
30-40 odd metres per set will not get you a try and is an issue if you cant get out of your half, you wont win, Knights
Asking before you take the penalty is odd

Last edited:

Tylz

Heartbreaking loss last night, unfortunately it felt inevitable from about the 60min mark. The Storm were always going to be a little bit fitter and have more class to finish those kind of games off.

Foran - Is playing really well with a man on one leg, he is obviously hurt but gives our attack shape and structure. The two try's we scored were beautiful to watch.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck - He is killing it.

Ken and Kata - This edge is pretty dreadful to be honest, i cant decide if Ken is a victim to having a lack luster centre on his inside. Kata's defence was pretty sound last year but he is being torched more often that not. I would be happy for Ken to stay on the wing and replace Kata at centre.

Ash and Fusitua - Played bloody well!

Our Forward Pack - Not overly impressed, we let our backs do way to much grunt work early on and it all ways comes back to bite us. We really need a leader among men is this group, a prop who says follow me boys, especially early in the tackle count, sometimes our big men don't touch the ball to tackle 3 or 4 in the set, it drives me INSANE!

Great to see the effort, especially on defense, but we really need to turn this effort into competition points otherwise we will lose touch with the top teams.

Reactions: 1 users
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor

There needs to be an investigation!

You cop a few home town calls, but that one and they the one they gave Gavet at the end after Mannering shoved slater out of the way were just free handouts.

The effort would beat about half the teams, we just don’t quite have the ammunition for the top ones.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck MoM for out lot.
Ayshford and Fusitua are a good combination. Is it really worth breaking them up for one week? Essentially a bye round after the roosters game.
Give Ken a rap for tackling Vunivalu twice in the same sequence, good commitment.
Forwards were a bit overmatched but they battled on.

Roache is kind of miscast, he’s a runner/support player but we don’t really have the big runs or breaks for him to go off the back of.

Reactions: 7 users
Maraea

Maraea

I'm as pissed off at the refs as the next bloke (considerably less pissed off than my mrs though, by God she was nearly feral at one stage), but despite a massively improved effort, we mostly have ourselves to blame again.

For the most part, the lads were bloody great; seeing our defence scramble so well for the bulk of the match was heartening to see, but sadly it was some of the basics of defence that let us down in the end. For the last 10-15 mins, we barely ever had two markers in place, and the hole in the middle was all too easy for the Storm to exploit.

My biggest beef on attack isn't our last tackle options now days, it's the sluggish play the ball work. Luke has improved this season, but all too often his service from dh means whoever is hitting the ball up barely makes it a metre past the advantage line before he is greeted by defenders. Not only does he barely move forwards to commit markers to him, in one play last night, he actually stepped back a pace or two, and our runner didn't even reach the advantage line.

I can't fully blame Luke, as there are a combination of things required to get good, quick ruck speed - too often, our players don't seem to realise that defenders in a team with great line speed are charging as soon as the ball is on the ground to be played back. A lack of urgency there costs us dearly. We see the same lack of urgency at marker defence.

It's as if we concentrate so much on getting attacking shape and defensive patterns right, that we forget how much of the game is won and lost with the four players involved in the play-the-ball and dummy half work. It's gutting to see so much hard work undone.

Couldnt agree more with your post. Even my partner was sitting there commenting withe amount of metres the Storm were making, and our absabullshit marking up. Their loss was their own bloody fault. Totally fell off in the last part of the game to boot.

rugged

rugged

if Roache is to get game time he needs to play 10mins either side of half time, not at the death. It does use one more interchange but what is happening right now isn't working

Reactions: 6 users
rugged

rugged

There needs to be an investigation!

You cop a few home town calls, but that one and they the one they gave Gavet at the end after Mannering shoved slater out of the way were just free handouts.

The effort would beat about half the teams, we just don’t quite have the ammunition for the top ones.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck MoM for out lot.
Ayshford and Fusitua are a good combination. Is it really worth breaking them up for one week? Essentially a bye round after the roosters game.
Give Ken a rap for tackling Vunivalu twice in the same sequence, good commitment.
Forwards were a bit overmatched but they battled on.

Roache is kind of miscast, he’s a runner/support player but we don’t really have the big runs or breaks for him to go off the back of.
Will share that pic on social media

Fazz

Fazz

Actually proud of the team for the first time in what feels like eight or nine months. They got hammered with a lot of questionable calls and Kata going off hurt essentially cost us the game (as immediately after, a break was made where he would have been) but apart from that, there was a lot to like. I've been so pissed off with our form that I've barely watched a game this season, but this was not a bad performance. We just need a few changes to the bench and probably time for the axe to fall on Maumalo, but our spine + Blake / Fusitua is looking very good at least.

Reactions: 4 users