• WTF!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
And our winning record with the chosen spine is still only 50% over that time frame!

I'll thank you to not point that out!

But yes. Doesn't mean they'd have won anything.

We put 50 points on the raiders in canberra with a spine of friend, leuluai, townsend and tomkins once. weird club this.

Reactions: 1 user
WellingtonOrca

WellingtonOrca

Allwood was playing fullback in that big win too... surely he deserves a look in.

The new NRL team naming rules wouldn't allow it, since he wasn't in the original 21 named, and the Warriors would be hard pressed to apply for an exception when they clearly knew Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was under a cloud when they named him. The options are limited to Ayshford or Lolo pretty much.

Reactions: 5 users

Old Sid

Has any smart contributor ever run the numbers on penalty count ''wins'' for home and away by club for say the past 3-4 years. I for one feel we forever seem to be on the losing end especially on the more discretionary ones (10m line, interfering in the ruck, lying on the tackled player etc), albeit there's also an occasional square up towards the end of the game.

Although not essentially accurate as some penalties will be ''genuine'' and likely applied to both teams, it might well show a trend that favors certain teams, certain grounds (Wests Tigers playing the ref at Leichardt for example) or clubs owned by NRL ...

Another interesting picture might be the penalties given away defending your own line (club policy??) but are those recorded by category?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Defence

Defence

Has any smart contributor ever run the numbers on penalty count ''wins'' for home and away by club for say the past 3-4 years. I for one feel we forever seem to be on the losing end especially on the more discretionary ones (10m line, interfering in the ruck, lying on the tackled player etc), albeit there's also an occasional square up towards the end of the game.

Although not essentially accurate as some penalties will be ''genuine'' and likely applied to both teams, it might well show a trend that favors certain teams, certain grounds (Wests Tigers playing the ref at Leichardt for example) or clubs owned by NRL ...

Another interesting picture might be the penalties given away defending your own line (club policy??) but are those recorded by category?

Can't answer all your questions but maloney and ennis were the 2 most penalized players in the comp last year and the sharks the most penalized side.
Also I'm pretty sure the roosters were the most penalized club 3 years in a row and they won the minor premiership every one of those years so it doesn't seem to hurt too much.
Often teams would rather give away a penalty and get the chance to reset their line. Especially close to your own line.
We seem to give a lot away in the opposition half which allows them to kick for touch and get a piggyback down our end. These are the stupid penalties that need to stop.

Reactions: 5 users
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
I tried tracking it a few years ago, but it's pretty inconclusive. Some teams like the roosters used to be penalty magnets, but they were all that stood out.

Referees are cunning dogs, all about game management and making sure one coach or another can't whinge about a lopsided penalty count. If a team is lying in the ruck all game and the other just does it occasionally, they each will get pinged. So it looks fair. Even if it's not. Pretty much every game has a 2 penalty gap at most.

Just watch origin, each team gets an offside penalty like clockwork. "You have one, know it's your turn for one..." You can smell the square ups coming

Or anything close to golden point where the rule book is applied selectively I.e. not at all.

Reactions: 2 users
InsideBall

InsideBall

I don't think the refereeing of us is too bad any more... heck, Cam Smith actually got penalized for being offside against us, on the goal line no less, last week... that's virtually a miracle. I rarely find myself honestly lamenting the officiating anymore.

Having said that, I do find it incredibly suspicious when we have those games where we're penalized 4 or 5 times in a row to start the match, causing the possession to swing massively against us first half... then get the square ups late in the second when we're too tired to do anything with it.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
I don't think the refereeing of us is too bad any more... heck, Cam Smith actually got penalized for being offside against us, on the goal line no less, last week... that's virtually a miracle. I rarely find myself honestly lamenting the officiating anymore.

Having said that, I do find it incredibly suspicious when we have those games where we're penalized 4 or 5 times in a row to start the match, causing the possession to swing massively against us first half... then get the square ups late in the second when we're too tired to do anything with it.
That is like the old Indian cricket umpire trick. I gave you the same number of LBW decisions as the home side. Yes but their batsmen were 8,9,10 and ours were 1,2,3. The biggest problem is the 10 metres and holding down. You don't have to be penalising to make the Warriors get off quicker and you don't have to be penalising to have a skinny 10.

Reactions: 1 users
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
That is like the old Indian cricket umpire trick. I gave you the same number of LBW decisions as the home side. Yes but their batsmen were 8,9,10 and ours were 1,2,3. The biggest problem is the 10 metres and holding down. You don't have to be penalising to make the Warriors get off quicker and you don't have to be penalising to have a skinny 10.
No but of those two things the skinny 10 is the one easily fixed. How they can keep ignoring putting a virtual line on the field, i cant understand. I was watching the other day and they had a massive score over the pitch while the players ran out at half time, and there on the field you could see the shadow of the letters and numbers. So the tech, which has been around a fair while now, is in use just not where it needs to be.

Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
I'd love to see a proper penalty break down too because to me a lot of our penalties are conceded on the 4th tackle after a team has worked their way out of the end zone, whereas ours are given concurrently on the first tackle late in the half/game deep in the opposition half. Often a penalty follows a penalty follows a penalty and can equate to 3 in 4-5 tackles, which is a really cheap way for the refs to even up the penalty count.

However, I wouldn't say we didn't bring a lot of them on ourselves with dumb options when trying to slow the ball down to make up for our forwards getting owned.

eric

eric

According to Zero Tackle, Kata has been shifted to right centre, so it'll be Fusitua and Manu on the left. Manu might actually see some ball!

eric

eric

IMG 2073

tajhay

tajhay

🏉
Interesting pickup re Kata at 3. Looks like he was named on that side without ppl even noticing. Maybe Kearney noticed he knows how to pass (to his right) when he did that last game

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
BiggerD

BiggerD

I am developing into a big Bunty Afoa fan ;)

Bunty has a GREAT ATTITUDE and thats whats makes him good.

He made so many good tackles against the Storm last week.

The Warriors completion rate against the Storm in the rain was pretty good too

It will be close but I think they will beat the puppies :cigar:

Will the Puppies handle the brilliance of Sean Johnson ?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Maybe Kata just likes the number 3 better. Has nevah evah played anything other than left centre for the warriors.

Deranged

Deranged

Interesting pickup re Kata at 3. Looks like he was named on that side without ppl even noticing. Maybe Kearney noticed he knows how to pass (to his left) when he did that last game
I think you mean right. He certainly cannot pass left.

Sup42

Sup42

Interesting pickup re Kata at 3. Looks like he was named on that side without ppl even noticing. Maybe Kearney noticed he knows how to pass (to his left) when he did that last game
That would be good.

Possibly if we had our FB this game, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Fusitua, and big Marnu would run riot.

I would like to see the Warriors run big men on the Kick return up that left channel, make some space for Johnsons side to run it on the fourth.

Status
Not open for further replies.