• Yes

• Yeah best available

• Its OK

• No

• WTF!

Results are only viewable after voting.
jonno

jonno

Kerney doesn't pick logical teams. He picks the players with the best team attitudes and stuffs them in any way he can... It guarantees his whole playing squad is thinking right, even if there's a prop at five eight. That's how he gets his defense clicking together.

That's his foundation. Right attitude for defense is his non-negotiable... Sounds like Kens defense was solid enough for a recall.

Reactions: 8 users

warriorsfan92

I don't know why Maumalo is copping such criticism and Lolohea is not.
Maumalo can't jump? How about Lolohea's effort on his own try line?
Tui was hopeless defensively and, barring the knock back to Fusitua, on attack as well; and he is about to play his 50th game.

I couldn't agree with you more, my thoughts exactly. Sure he made a few mistakes, but to his credit he continued hitting the ball up, and increasing his involvement - this displays mental strength. I thought Tui was unnoticed throughout, & his spectacular try assist shouldn't negate the fact that he barely was involved, and lacked any go forward.

Reactions: 2 users
Raurimu Massive

Raurimu Massive

I don't know why Maumalo is copping such criticism and Lolohea is not.
Maumalo can't jump? How about Lolohea's effort on his own try line?
Tui was hopeless defensively and, barring the knock back to Fusitua, on attack as well; and he is about to play his 50th game.
Tui: the attacking myth.
Yeah, good call regarding Tui. In a game late last year I was watching from behind our posts, and his lack of defensive nous was a big concern. Dwarfed, however, by his lack of desperation and spark, in general. Gives thd impression that when things get tough, he wants to be anywhere but the footy field.

Reactions: 1 users
Miket12

Miket12

Kerney doesn't pick logical teams. He picks the players with the best team attitudes and stuffs them in any way he can... It guarantees his whole playing squad is thinking right, even if there's a prop at five eight. That's how he gets his defense clicking together.

That's his foundation. Right attitude for defense is his non-negotiable... Sounds like Kens defense was solid enough for a recall.
Really? How do you explain then that Tui, who got out jumped for one try and badly caught out of position for two others, is in this week's squad. Maybe it was because of his vision when he grubbered the ball to no one on the first.

The sole reason Ken has been named in the team and Manu only in the extended squad is because the internal testing during the off season showed Ken performs better at the temperature predicted for Friday night better than Manu.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Dunedin warrior

Really? How do you explain then that Tui, who got out jumped for one try and badly caught out of position for two others, is in this week's squad. Maybe it was because of his vision when he grubbered the ball to no one one the first.

That's a little harsh, the grubber ended them up in the same position they would been anyway with a play the ball.
One of the tries Fusitua rushed out of the line and failed to shut down the play ball. The 2nd was a grubber behind Shaun Johnson that bounced perfectly I don't think it was to do with Tui's positioning.

Needs to work on his urgency and work rate, and could look to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck on how little men do hit ups, but he set up a try and forced two goaline dropouts. Still a work in progress, but given the lack of options needs to be perservered with.

Reactions: 1 users
hoolioh

hoolioh

Ken deserves to be in the team for sure. The way I see it him and Manu are practically the same player (both are good for a couple of errors but both help our weak pack) but ken has time on his side to hopefully iron out the dumb arse stuff where's Manu he's almost done. I just hope mutts comes back strong so we don't need to rely on the wingers 150 metres per game its ijust a bonus

Reactions: 1 user
Diesel

Diesel

Get the feeling Kearney may be phasing Manu out and the hope is he gets an early release, perhaps to pick up Jordan Kahu and have a few $ left over for upgrades for existing players

Reactions: 6 users
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Get the feeling Kearney may be phasing Manu out and the hope is he gets an early release, perhaps to pick up Jordan Kahu and have a few $ left over for upgrades for existing players

Could be - I watched the super league highlights show last night and he could still get a good gig up there, with the likes of Patrick Ah Van and Carlos Tuinavarvae running around

Reactions: 4 users
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
i think 2 games is way to early to make that call, he could equally be trying to protect Kens fragile ego. Or even the ego of the whole team by paying off a win by keeping the team the same.
But to be fair if he isnt starting to phase Manu out with all his reoccurring injuries and his reduction in pace then hes the one with rocks in his head.

Weno

Weno

Warriors wing Ken Maumalo ready for Cooper Cronk's bombs

The left edge defence did a good job against the Knights last weekend, not letting in any tries, but the Storm are expected to be a tougher challenge for this young Warriors edge.

"We've still got heaps to work on," Maumalo said.

"Solomone and I were working hard on it over the preseason and it's only going to get better.

"We know that this weekend the Storm will like to attack with Cooper Cronk, so they'll come down our left side and we'll need to be on our toes."

It says something of the high regard Maumalo is held in by Warriors coach Stephen Kearney that he's been selected ahead of Vatuvei to play against the Storm.

For the Knights game, Kearney said the reason why Vatuvei played in the reserve grade NSW Cup was because he didn't play in the trial games. But for this weekend's fixture he wanted to stick with Maumalo and Tuimoala Lolohea on the other wing, because he was largely happy with how they played.

"It's good to know that the coach has got faith in me to play again," Maumalo said.

FALCON

"So for me it's about giving back to him and trying to perform well. Limit my errors and just doing my job really."

Maumalo has played 19 games for the Warriors since making his NRL debut in 2015, he has spent time bouncing up and down between the NRL and reserve grade team during that time, but feels at the age of 22, he's ready to make his mark in first grade footy.

"It didn't get me down, it made me hungrier," he said of the times he dropped to the NSW Cup team.

"When I went down last year I wanted to play better and that made me mentally stronger. Going back down ended up being a massive confidence booster for me."

"This is my third year now and I've been in and out, this year I want to establish myself as a full NRL player. That's my goal and I'm working hard towards it."
  • - Stuff

Dunedin warrior

Any chance that Bellamy pulls a Kearney master stroke and spells Smith so Kenny Bromwich can fire his bullet passes from dummyhalf?

• Haha
Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
It sounds like one of those where it works once and we lose our minds over his ball playing, only for it to end in a turnover the other 9 times out of 10.

But your right, Mateo had a good line in short balls with Mannering or Matulino crashing over.

Despite being a lazy bugger Feleti had a great deal of skill, it'd be hard for Lisone to get to that level.

I don't know, it was hardly a miracle ball, he was just feeding the ball on. The key was that he had another forward charging through in support that he was willing to use. As a coach I'd be encouraging that.

t-wade23

t-wade23

Not too worried about the forward pack for the storm which has done us in the past few games with there size and mobility but with Bromwhich,Tohu Harris and Proctor gone or out we might have an chance to match it there.

The thing that scares me the most is there outside backs particularly there wingers over the last few years have been unable to deal with backlines with speed (tigers,panthers) and with Vunivalu and Addo Carr along with Chambers who always somehow scores against us that scares me a lot.