# Player Player #

Are you happy with the team named?

• Yes

• Yeah best available

• Its OK

• No

• WTF!

Results are only viewable after voting.
TBH I don't really blame ken for ripping into that knights player at the end there.
U can be sure they would've been absolutely giving it to him since he dropped the ball in the first set. So he had been copping shit for 80 minutes then one of the guys who was giving it to him makes an error of his own and pretty much costs them any chance they had of winning the game... I would've been into him too.

To a point.

However, what would have happened if he gave away a penalty, and Newcastle marched down the field and scored.

Brain dead act in that situation.

Inruin

Contributor
1-17 looks ok to me. Don't like Kenny on the wing but Manu's time is over IMO. Time to move on.
A bit off topic but I still can't figure out Kata's inability to pass the ball. I mean, he's a centre and yes he's a line breaking one at that but it seems that setting up his outside man is always the last thing on his mind when he gets the ball.
Maybe Ken or Manu need yell at him a bit more? I don't know, but if he develops that part of his game he'll be an absolute nightmare for opposition teams.
how many times did Fusitua pass the ball to Lolohea?

I thought we were great in the halves.

Hingano did a great job of freeing up Johnson by keeping the passing clean, rallying his forwards....calling runners onto the ball....for a kid with little battle time he looked the most composed local greenhorn since Isaac John.

If he keeps developing in that mould he will be the next Keiran Foran.

Keep kicking sonny....you'll make big bucks.

Good effort in the tackle....I'm excited for our future.

On the other hand our other greenhorns...by in large....looked over pumped,....trying too hard....and nervous in defence.

Out of that over pumped mindset, comes the push and shove, the dropped balls, the miss timed tackling.

Kearney got them pretty fired up over the off season.

His senior players were fired up, especially Mannering, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Shaun Johnson,, Luke, and Hoffman.

All those blokes came to life in that game like it was Origin time.

Unlike the greenhorns....those veterans knew how to channel the desperation for a round one win at home.

The loss of Mannering and Luke were crucial in Newcastle's resurgence.

Enter Cpt Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Ex Cpt Hoffman, who engineered the win.

That must have put a smile on SK's dial.

That action by the Captains is the kind of Pride in the Jersey shit we have bemoaned for five years.

Watching our D line get out played by Newey in the battle of the ruck poses lots of questions around our go forward, versus opposition teams relative ease at running a standard set of six over half way.

Why do we get rolled back ? Why is it that scramblers like Mannering and Luck are our only chance at surviving the opposition runners ?

It is not just about Big boppers going through our middle....Mobile smaller packs like St George Illawarra, actually have the best record of beating us in the ruck.

The problem goes back to how we play league here...Vs how they play league there.

In NZ our forwards are used to one out runners coming at them down the middle.

Big hits on boyz.

The Knights on the other hand (and any Aussie side you care to name) have more than one runner in motion....and they pass the ball....yeah beating NZ defence is as simple as passing at the ruck/second man plays, going wide of where our D line is prepared to engage.....

Often when Aussie teams do this, they put a hard runner one on one versus a lazy Warrior....like Mateo....or an inexperienced Warrior, like so many of our ISP/U20 boys.

That weak spot, on the edge of the meat of our defence is where Clearly tried to populate it with Luck/Mannering/Taylor/Henry/Brown/and is why we now have Mannering/Hoffman/Thompson.

So....our defence is reliant on reactive scramblers...tacklebots is unkind...but none the less, because our defensive lack of smarts ...lack of ability...lack of commitment in some positions....we have always been papering over cracks.

Stephen Kearney solved that problem at international level.

His defensive systems proved as good, and at times better than Aussie.

He found a way to hold the best attacking players/structures in the world, to twelve points or less.

That was no fluke.

The other side of the coin is how we behave when we have the ball.

Due to a reliance on winning the ruck through our backs (the Manu clause) and the recruitment of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, we are locked into big or super freak outside backs to lay our platform and win some ruck speed, for lack of Salary cap spent on the like of Wiki and Price...out and out Star prop.

Let's all pray SK can introduce the Kiwi do or die goal line defence.

That would win us the GF back to back....if teams can't get more than 12 against this club, they are fucked.

Let's hope we see a Sipley run like Tapau after Manu/Ken hit the ball up....that combination is bad ass enough to see the Warriors over the half way line with two hit ups....it may well be a very Warrior way of approaching the game....but who cares when you have Shaun Johnson, Foran, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, and Luke to finish that type of bowling pin Polynesian, unorthodox game breaking.

Lastly, to those criticising Ken for running sideways ....he hits the line at the same weak point Newly hits ours...after a couple of passes/a team of forward runners....Let's hope Foran can put him there with a pass rather than lose a millisecond here and there by running wide of their D lines strong point.

Last edited:

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
If it is wet in Auckland on Friday that might also keep the scores close, in any event I have a hard time seeing the early season warriors putting a lot of points on the storm.

They have a good defensive fullback and fast wingers to close down any line breaks.

They don’t make basic errors and they all work hard in D. Slow down the ruck etc. Legally or otherwise it is what it is.

Off the cuff random stuff can undo them, see any warriors win over them, going back forever.

But you can’t chance your arm and turn it over too often or you get ground down once they are in the lead.

Their attack can be nullified, didn’t score a try for 70 minutes last week.

Possibly a replay of rd 3 last year coming, warriors without luke, tried hard, kept it close, but couldn’t break them down for anything decisive.

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
Bay 32 was given him @#$@# the whole game due to his "amazing jumping ability" and his run ups. Including my little two year old saying boo Ken, thank god she didn't understand what else was being said about him :).

I think we have discovered why he may be low on confidence.

I am not a fan of Maumalo at all and am disappointed to see him picked for Rnd 2, but once he gets on the field wearing a Warriors jersey he has my full support for the match. If our guys are confidence players, it is not nice to hear that some of our own 'fans' are actively trying to undermine that. Home fans should be lifting the team (as most do)

bruce

Contributor
TBH I don't really blame ken for ripping into that knights player at the end there.
U can be sure they would've been absolutely giving it to him since he dropped the ball in the first set. So he had been copping shit for 80 minutes then one of the guys who was giving it to him makes an error of his own and pretty much costs them any chance they had of winning the game... I would've been into him too.
What would you have said if the ref had penalised him, which he was entitled to do, and they had scored from it? I know what I would say...to you as well.:rolleyes:

Watching the replay and looking at Maumalo's errors it appeared to me his problem is he is trying too hard and it is affecting his confidence. He is winding himself up so much it is affecting his timing on the backline attacks and high balls.

No argument here; the 'trying harder, not smarter' thing is a freaken curse with our young bucks. Ultimate example is Hurrell, with Kata, Lisone and Maumalo doing it too. They appear to have a mindset of smashing it up as hard as they can to make some impact and please the coach/fans, with no thought whatsoever to the game itself. It's Manu's influence in the club, if you ask me. The number of times he makes utterly retarded decisions trying some big play is just shit. But the highlights reels keep them in employment.

It is an indictment on Manu that he cannot seem to move to the forwards like many Aussie backs have over the years....actually just thinking about that last bit, Mannering was a back wasn't he.
Yep, came on at centre when he was 14, and spent years putting Manu into space. And obviously doing half of his defensive work.

What would you have said if the ref had penalised him, which he was entitled to do, and they had scored from it? I know what I would say...to you as well.:rolleyes:

I would've said- how shit is our defense- couldn't even hold them out for one set.

I never said it was a good idea but I could understand where he was coming from and liked the passion.
We've been the nice guys (soft cocks) of the competition for long enough.

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
Warriors wing Ken Maumalo ready for Cooper Cronk's bombs

The left edge defence did a good job against the Knights last weekend, not letting in any tries, but the Storm are expected to be a tougher challenge for this young Warriors edge.

"We've still got heaps to work on," Maumalo said.

"Solomone and I were working hard on it over the preseason and it's only going to get better.

"We know that this weekend the Storm will like to attack with Cooper Cronk, so they'll come down our left side and we'll need to be on our toes."

It says something of the high regard Maumalo is held in by Warriors coach Stephen Kearney that he's been selected ahead of Vatuvei to play against the Storm.

For the Knights game, Kearney said the reason why Vatuvei played in the reserve grade NSW Cup was because he didn't play in the trial games. But for this weekend's fixture he wanted to stick with Maumalo and Tuimoala Lolohea on the other wing, because he was largely happy with how they played.

"It's good to know that the coach has got faith in me to play again," Maumalo said.

"So for me it's about giving back to him and trying to perform well. Limit my errors and just doing my job really."

Maumalo has played 19 games for the Warriors since making his NRL debut in 2015, he has spent time bouncing up and down between the NRL and reserve grade team during that time, but feels at the age of 22, he's ready to make his mark in first grade footy.

"It didn't get me down, it made me hungrier," he said of the times he dropped to the NSW Cup team.

"When I went down last year I wanted to play better and that made me mentally stronger. Going back down ended up being a massive confidence booster for me."

"This is my third year now and I've been in and out, this year I want to establish myself as a full NRL player. That's my goal and I'm working hard towards it."
  • - Stuff

That's true.
The lesson there is that he shouldn't have laid a hand on him- give him a hell of a spray but don't let it get physical. I'm sure sk would've had a word to him about it.
Similar to Lisone- for all the dumb shit they do I liked that they never dropped their heads or their nuts and kept ripping in- u need that in a footy player.
Their challenge moving forward is to find the right balance.
If you watch the replay, Hoffman certainly let him know it was a dumb move. Gave him a good gobfull.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Bay 32 was given him @#$@# the whole game due to his "amazing jumping ability" and his run ups. Including my little two year old saying boo Ken, thank god she didn't understand what else was being said about him :).
That whole Bay ought to disgusted with themselves. Giving it to one of our own is just pathetic behaviour from 'fans'. Might wanna leave your child at home so they dont grow up to be a shit head like the rest of that Bay...

bruce

Contributor
It says something of the high regard Maumalo is held in by Warriors coach Stephen Kearney that he's been selected ahead of Vatuvei to play against the Storm.
If SK can get him to play to his potential I am all for it. I guess 150 metres is 150 metres we would not have had otherwise.
That whole Bay ought to disgusted with themselves. Giving it to one of our own is just pathetic behaviour from 'fans'. Might wanna leave your child at home so they dont grow up to be a shit head like the rest of that Bay...

Did they cheer him on his hitups?

Sounds like Ken might just be keeping the 5 jersey this week ahead of Manu.

Good on Kearney for sticking with continuity.

Ken didn't actually have a bad game in the grand scheme of things - made a few handling errors and misjudged a few high balls - but also gathered a few tough ones and played tough on defence along with Kata. Along with the meter eating runs most are aware of.

I've said before he seems like a player low on confidence - seems like Bay 32 could be to blame (half kidding) - but having the coach behind ya could go a long way for him. Tui as well.

Big test for him this weekend if so. Let's see if the hate is truly warranted.

Last edited:

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Sounds like Ken might just be keeping the 5 jersey this week ahead of Manu.
Looks like it and Isiah Papalii looks to be playing ISP as well...

[Teams] ISP and NYC line-ups revealed
Richard Becht | Image: www.photosport.nz
Tue 7th March, 04:54PM
1488866632074.jpg

James Gavet: ISP rugby league, Warriors v Knights, Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland, Sunday 5 March, 2017. Photo: Renee McKay / www.photosport.nz

Back rowers James Bell and Isaiah Papalii have both been named in the Vodafone Warriors’ starting line-up for Saturday’s second-round Intrust Super Premiership clash against Canterbury-Bankstown at Mount Smart Stadium No 1 (1.00pm kick-off).

Bell missed last Sunday’s 52-24 win over Newcastle with injury while Papali’i made his NRL debut against the Knights. He has also been included on the NRL side’s extended bench for Friday night’s encounter with Melbourne.

Others included in both squads are veteran wing Manu Vatuvei, prop James Gavet and Mason Lino. All three turned out for the ISP side against the Knights.

While the Ricky Henry-coached Vodafone Warriors won impressively on Sunday, the Bulldogs lost 14-22 to the Mounties.

INTRUST SUPER PREMIERSHIP

VODAFONE WARRIORS v CANTERBURY-BANKSTOWN BULLDOGS
Mount Smart Stadium No 1, Auckland
1.00pm, Saturday, March 11

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1 MATTHEW ALLWOOD
2 JUNIOR PAUGA
3 SEMISI FOTU
4 BLAKE AYSHFORD
5 MANU VATUVEI
6 SAM COOK
7 MASON LINO (c)