Are you happy with the team named?

• Yes

• Yeah best available

• Its OK

• No

• WTF!

Results are only viewable after voting.

warriors4sure

Gubb played exactly as he always does,2 or 3 good tackles and nothing else, 80m is not good enough for a starting prop, would drop him for Sipley and gavet in a heartbeat but it's not gonna happen, Kearney is as stubborn as a mule, hence why maumalo is still starting and if Luke's injured, Bodensee will probably start at hooker

Hope your wrong about SK being stubborn as a mule. Gubb is not a starting prop by any stretch..doesn't bend the defensive line at all...hope Erin Clark plays

Swanley

Swanley

I think the Tuesday naming of the team is now pointless......unless someone is genuinely injured and we want to know who their replacement will be. Might as well name our top 25 less those injured, so taking out Ben and Foran, which other two ave not been "named"...!

Reactions: 1 user
Viking

Viking

How does Patrick Sipley go? He looks to be the biggest player on our books by 7kgs and much bigger than his younger brother who some on here thinks should get a run in first grade. We need big props, could Patrick handle the step up?

Hadyn

Hadyn

Here is just a thought, this possibly needs it's own thread.
Kenny Maumalo is obviously coming under a lot of criticism (He's probably a good dude, but not a good winger).

A few "Pro Ken" supporters like the "Metre Stats" he posted on the weekend. Top that I ask, "Since when has it become the Wingers primary role to be a "Metre Eater"?

IMO Wingers are finishers, their job is to score tries, and plenty of them. Their secondary role is to take the first or second tackle and start the set. There are plenty of smaller, faster Wingers in the NRL who can do both jobs. Wingers who on average score a try every two matches are descent.
What hasn't changed is over the years the Warriors have had plenty of woeful or less than average ones..

Less than 1 try/2 games
John Kirwan, Frano Botica, Marc Ellis, Paul Staladi, Lee Oudenryn, Odell Manuel, Scott Pethybridge, Justin Murphy, Cooper Vuna, Paul Atkins, Todd Byrne, Patrick Ah Van, Misi Taulapapa, Malo Solomona, Denan Kemp, Bill Tupou, Ngani Laumape, Jonathan Wright, Ken Maumalo

More than
1try/2 games
Sean Hoppe ,Henry Fa'afili, Francis Meli, Michael Crockett, Manu Vatuvei, Glen Fisiiahi, David Fusitua

Ken Maumalo has the lowest percentage of tries per match for a Winger who has played more than 10 games for the Warriors.
He has started in 19 scored 2 tries. (I could be wrong but I think both those tries might have come in the same match?)

So in my conclusion we have to accept Ken isn't great, probably the worst of a bad bunch, but hey, look at that list again.
There's been plenty of crap!
I have to agree what a useless bunch that first group is.Only one I rate is Laumape who was probably a centre in all honesty and quite a good prospect at that but even he left to try to get more tries for the Manawatu rugby whatever they ares.
Maumalo is hopeless as a winger,no speed ,no vision,no skill,no brains,hands like Xmas Hams but is a big lump of a lad.....hang on that is the perfect Warriors winger blueprint.
As mentioned useless finisher who in fact surpassed the 1 try / 2 games ratio last season by playing heaps of games last season and I don't remember him scoring at all but I may be mistaken.
One thing in defence of him is that he is outside Mr Neverpass which leaves the old Kick for Manu in the corner tactic for him however Shaun Johnson doesn't use this because he knows Ken can't catch.
Also counting against him in my eyes was last year one time Cappy was bollocking somebody at half time with the classic insult( if my lip reading skills are any good) ......"and you are fucking soft".I thought it was Tui ,it was the same game when Tui had his shocker but then I saw Tui was behind Cappy when he was saying it.So I think it was Ken.

The sooner he goes to the forwards the better as he at least can go forward......ideal replacement for Lillyman or Gubb in that regard,take your pick.

Last edited:
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Also counting against him in my eyes was last year one time Cappy was bollocking somebody at half time with the classic insult( if my lip reading skills are any good) ......"and you are fucking soft".I thought it was Tui ,it was the same game when Tui had his shocker but then I saw Tui was behind Cappy when he was saying it.So I think it was Ken.
I wasn't at MSS last week but on TV the crowd seemed less than impressed with Ken. He might not be soft, and I wouldn't want to pick a fight with him, but he sure looks soft.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Swanley

Swanley

I wasn't at MSS last week but on TV the crowd seemed less than impressed with Ken. He might not be soft, and I wouldn't want to pick a fight with him, but he sure looks soft.

After his "effort" last week resulting in a melee, he comes across as a bully when it suits him, but is actually "soft" when he actually gets confronted...

Reactions: 4 users
Canadian_WarriorFan

Canadian_WarriorFan

Bay 32 was given him @#$@# the whole game due to his "amazing jumping ability" and his run ups. Including my little two year old saying boo Ken, thank god she didn't understand what else was being said about him :).

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Blindside

I don't know why Maumalo is copping such criticism and Lolohea is not.
Maumalo can't jump? How about Lolohea's effort on his own try line?
Tui was hopeless defensively and, barring the knock back to Fusitua, on attack as well; and he is about to play his 50th game.
Tui: the attacking myth.

Reactions: 9 users

Mr Brownstone

Hope your wrong about SK being stubborn as a mule. Gubb is not a starting prop by any stretch..doesn't bend the defensive line at all...hope Erin Clark plays
The problem is that with Matulino out we don't have a starting quality prop in the squad (and Matulino likes playing from the bench in any case). I doubt there is a weaker prop rotation in the comp - and for that very reason our 'outside backs' like Ken are relied on to make a lot of metres.

Seriously, all you blokes creaming yourselves over signing Foran and at the same time pulling your hair out over Ken being picked in the side - one outcome is a direct consequence of the other. Doyle is obsessed by signing his star spine however it is coming at the expense of having a balanced squad. Some of you want your cake and eat it to.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Afakasi247

Afakasi247

Ken is playing like a player short of confidence.

Tui was once the shit until he had a few bad games and fans gave it to him. It's scarred him.

The only player who came back from that was Manu. He still gets shit and look where that drove him last year.

It's the lack of mental fortitude. Being a one team nation every player is constantly under the scope. Some players cope, some don't.

Like it or not, Ken has shown ability under the high ball. Like it or not, Ken can score tries (has a good clip in the NSW cup and also Nines in 2015/2016).

The problem is that his lower grade form hasn't shifted into First Grade results. And fans have absolutely crucified him for it.

He wasn't a winger when he was up and coming, but neither was Corey Oates. He has the tools to be a decent winger though, he's not completely useless as we think.

At the moment he looks like a dude who constantly second guesses himself. Which leads him to misjudging things and he ends up looking like "shaqtin a fool NRL edition".

And when you have 13,000 fans booing the shit out of you for it, even 2 year old kids.

Man, wtf do we expect.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Tragic

Tragic

Any thoughts on Gubbs inclusion or you gonna stay quiet and sharpen the knives a bit more???

I had my knives sharpened for Gubb before the season started as well, went a lot better than I expected in the weekend but still not enough hard yardage at the beginning of the set, although he was not alone there. Not sure we have anyone better at the moment, although think Gavet could be a better bet in terms of attack but havent seen him make that many tackles so thats a 50/50 call.

fizurg

fizurg

It's a shame we could never sign a winger like Jason Nightingale. He doesn't average a try every two games in the NRL or in internationals so must be pretty average.

• Haha
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

A few things come out of the latest comments. How we judge the quality of the Knights' performance will be answered to some extent on Friday. I personally think they really turned up and have a solid team.

I don't know Gubb's running stats, but he was committing the Knights heavies down the middle. So although not making many metres he is committing defenders to him freeing up room outside. That is his job. Added to that his defence was game winning stuff.

Teams are always evolving. I think if they can keep players on the park and work on their structures as shown from 20-40 minutes they will go close.

I know things went a bit pear shaped after halftime, but that is understandable losing Luke and Mannering. Unlike previous years they collected themselves and won the game using basic football.

Some mistakes but if they continue on the attitude and structure they can win this week, if they will grind.

Reactions: 1 users

Dunedin warrior

There were two things Maumolo did well, his yardage was good and the left side defence was excellent all game.

The problem for Maumolo is that he lacks finishing skills so he can't afford to make errors. Too many on Sunday.

Weno

Weno

How does Patrick Sipley go? He looks to be the biggest player on our books by 7kgs and much bigger than his younger brother who some on here thinks should get a run in first grade. We need big props, could Patrick handle the step up?
YES.
Trialed well against the Storm.
Went well in ISP last weekend.

MarkW

MarkW

A bit off topic but I still can't figure out Kata's inability to pass the ball. I mean, he's a centre and yes he's a line breaking one at that but it seems that setting up his outside man is always the last thing on his mind when he gets the ball.
Maybe Ken or Manu need yell at him a bit more? I don't know, but if he develops that part of his game he'll be an absolute nightmare for opposition teams.

BiggerD

BiggerD

The Storm is coming

And Friday night is going to be Wet. Wet. Wet , with lightning, thunder and strong winds.

Ball handling must be supremo

Home crowd will probably be few, in rain coasts

https://www.metservice.com/maps-radar/rain-forecast/rain-forecast-5-day

'Tasman tempest':

Niwa say the ''tempest'' has been caused by bands of cloud and moisture from the tropics and sub-tropics, bringing heavy rainfall and thunderstorms.

Last edited:
Matulino's Left Shoulder

Matulino's Left Shoulder

Gubb got me a solid Supercoach score. Leave him alone.

He's a good boy. He dindu nuffin.

• Haha
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Like it or not, Ken has shown ability under the high ball. Like it or not, Ken can score tries (has a good clip in the NSW Cup and also Nines in 2015/2016).

The problem is that his lower grade form hasn't shifted into First Grade results. And fans have absolutely crucified him for it.

That means he doesn't belong in first grade, he is only there because of his metres but isn't good enough to play in the forwards.
Seriously, all you blokes creaming yourselves over signing Foran and at the same time pulling your hair out over Ken being picked in the side - one outcome is a direct consequence of the other. Doyle is obsessed by signing his star spine however it is coming at the expense of having a balanced squad. Some of you want your cake and eat it to.

I think JD and SK are smarter than that. Afoa and Vete are still young and improving and if Mutts comes back motivated things might be very different as the season progresses.

A few things come out of the latest comments. How we judge the quality of the Knights' performance will be answered to some extent on Friday. I personally think they really turned up and have a solid team.

I agree Gizzy. Many forget how the Knights demolished Canberra in the final trial. They are a different team this season. Also the short turnaround isn't as bad as it looks. Because we played at home on the weekend and are playing at home this weekend that is two travelling days the Warriors would normally lose.

Reactions: 2 users
Defence

Defence

TBH I don't really blame ken for ripping into that knights player at the end there.
U can be sure they would've been absolutely giving it to him since he dropped the ball in the first set. So he had been copping shit for 80 minutes then one of the guys who was giving it to him makes an error of his own and pretty much costs them any chance they had of winning the game... I would've been into him too.

Reactions: 5 users