• B

• C

• F

• Z---

Results are only viewable after voting.
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Is it just me or is Ken looking more like a real winger? His acrobatic try last week in the corner and he's now finishing off tries (He should have had two had it not been for a certain one eyed aussie ref).
I agree. His improvement is something to behold. He isn't the finished product yet but he is looking good. Considering the bagging he has been getting SK must be giving him heaps of encouragement and confidence behind the scenes.
3 trys that seemingly came far too easy, with not alot of ground work put in by the Titans. I feel like Ash/Fusitua communicate well together, but Bodene/SJ really need to work on their defensive combo. I understand Bodene makes alot of tackles, but it's the important ones hes missing week after week that really need to stop. As they are consistently leading to easy trys.
That sums the guy up right now. The problem for SK is if he drops him who is going to make all those tackles, because if he isn't there there might be even more tries. I wonder if it is a confidence thing, if so that might get sorted.
There seemed to be a lot of cut out balls to Maumalo, there were a couple of those plays on tackles 3-4 where he'd make a few meters, then Maumalo scored from a Foran long pass and had another disallowed try from a Hingano pass that was deemed to travel forward. I thought Kata made more runs than 4 though...seems a tad low.
I wonder if those cut out balls were done on purpose. The defence was watching to gang Kata, which needs to be done, but it left Ken clear. It shows Kata's one dimensional game but it sure was an effective way around it.
I predicted big games from Vete and Lisone off the bench and they delivered. One set in particular Lisone took it from the kick off and got absolutely smashed, got straight back up and got involved in a the third and forth tackle creating a break. He does my head in sometimes but I love the way he rips in and doesn't back down.
I can see the SK influence there. That is the way SK played, full on and physical. It wasn't just guts, there was technique as well. Bunty Afoa's leg drive after impact was impressive as well. Sure the Tits were off their game but the steady improvement in our young forwards is showing that maybe we do have a future next year.

Reactions: 6 users
Sup42

Sup42

Go back to Carlaw Park then;)
Haha

We are not allowed to talk Carlaw in the Modern age Bruce.

The 1995 Suppression act prevents it.

Even tho the ARL still owns the land now covered in leased businesses.

If only I were Owen G.....

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

You can see he's been practicing his step. It's actually paying off. Players expect Ken to go all battering ram, but then this huge guys also go a cheeky step. Go Ken.

I have heard he's putting a lot of extras into his training. He took a bomb in the rain and all his eyes were trained on was the football.

Reactions: 6 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Haha

We are not allowed to talk Carlaw in the Modern age Bruce.

The 1995 Suppression act prevents it.

Even tho the ARL still owns the land now covered in leased businesses.

If only I were Owen G.....
To be fair MSS was designed to be as much like Carlaw Park as possible, they just didn't bring the ghosts over from underneath the wooden stand.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
ttkk19

ttkk19

Main point of concern - Right edge defence

Titans trys all right edge defence
1. Bodene parked 4th man in, rushes out of the line leaving Bull outside him at 3rd man ripe for the picking, where bodene should have been positioned. Bull chases hard and Bodene jogs in chase.
2.Hayne walks through, Johnson pushes out and Bodene is lumbering on the inside not plugging his hole. Both at fault on this one.
3.Bodene not pushing up allowed the Titans to play flat at the line and make the break. Sheck in good positioning, but put in poor tackle being flattened when had a good line up on Copley.

3 trys that seemingly came far too easy, with not alot of ground work put in by the Titans. I feel like Ash/Fusitua communicate well together, but Bodene/Shaun Johnson really need to work on their defensive combo. I understand Bodene makes alot of tackles, but it's the important ones hes missing week after week that really need to stop. As they are consistently leading to easy trys.

I think you're reaching tbh.

The first try wasn't Bodene's fault, or anyone's fault for that matter. It was just good attack. If you go back to the ptb before the try you'll notice that the titans stacked their left side so they'd have an 8 on 4 overlap. It doesn't really matter what the defense would have done or who was marking who, they had the numbers. That was actually a part of their game-plan too, Henry said they'll be looking to run the ball and vary their last tackle options as the Warriors like to have both wingers back for the kick. You'll be able to read more about that here:

https://www.nrl.com/stopping-warrio...-henry/tabid/10874/newsid/108731/default.aspx

You're right with the second try, Bodene was slow to get there and Johnson didn't wanna put his body on the line. I see that as a lack of fitness from Bo, attitude from Johnson and communication on both parts.

Can't really see your point for the third one though tbh. Thompson made the prev tackle so he was at marker for the ptb. He then pushed out left to cover the inside channel when the titans decided to run it thus dragging him away from the right. That was an opportunist try if I've ever seen one. Throw the ball around, put a kick in, see what happens. The scramble D defs could have been better from the team but overall those ones are usually pretty difficult to defend against.

It's lucky I decided to jump back on the forum so soon :) Since you didn't quote me directly I didn't get a notification for your post. I could have missed it completely and missed my chance to reply ;) all's well that ends well I guess

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Stalefish540

Stalefish540

Contributor
[LINKHL]2867[/LINK

I duno about the 1st one, if Bodene is at 3rd man rather than Bull, theres alot better chance that play gets shut down. Alot easier to isolate a prop than a backrower.

2nd one the play was stretched from the Pulu run/quick PTB. Bodene was unlikely to make it so Shaun Johnson should have stop sliding and jammed on Hayne like Ash did on Sjs man forcing him to make the play, either go cut out pass or grubber.

3rd one I was tryna go off memory as the highlights didn't show the lead up. So yeah wrong on that one haha

Reactions: 1 user
ttkk19

ttkk19

I duno about the 1st one, if Bodene is at 3rd man rather than Bull, theres alot better chance that play gets shut down. Alot easier to isolate a prop than a backrower.

2nd one the play was stretched from the Pulu run/quick PTB. Bodene was unlikely to make it so Shaun Johnson should have stop sliding and jammed on Hayne like Ash did on Sjs man forcing him to make the play, either go cut out pass or grubber.

3rd one I was tryna go off memory as the highlights didn't show the lead up. So yeah wrong on that one haha

A backrower defs could have defended better than a prop, but in this case they had 4 extra players so I'm not sure if it would have made much difference. Thompson had gone in-field looking for work too so I don't think we can be too critical there.

2nd try was pretty classy from Hayne, but for me that could have been saved if Johnson dug in and had a go at tackling him. Ayshford had made the effort to come in on the backrower so Johnson should have had a go. Kinda just stood there and looked around which bugs me.

3rd one was defs an opportunist try. Something the Warriors used to rely on a lot for points. Problem with that is that they're more likely to fail than work. I doubt most coaches kick up too much fuss over conceding those ones. They almost never come off in the big games.

Stalefish540

Stalefish540

Contributor
A backrower defs could have defended better than a prop, but in this case they had 4 extra players so I'm not sure if it would have made much difference. Thompson had gone in-field looking for work too so I don't think we can be too critical there.

2nd try was pretty classy from Hayne, but for me that could have been saved if Johnson dug in and had a go at tackling him. Ayshford had made the effort to come in on the backrower so Johnson should have had a go. Kinda just stood there and looked around which bugs me.

3rd one was defs an opportunist try. Something the Warriors used to rely on a lot for points. Problem with that is that they're more likely to fail than work. I doubt most coaches kick up too much fuss over conceding those ones. They almost never come off in the big games.
Thats also not to say our left edge would have done alot better had Taylor not had one of his most off performances at the top level. The right edge definitely got peppered twice as much.

Maybe my dislike for Bodenes form this season has grown too strong giving me tunnel vision ;). Definitely his best this season it must be said.

Raw Power

Raw Power

To be fair MSS was designed to be as much like Carlaw Park as possible, they just didn't bring the ghosts over from underneath the wooden stand.
Or the sloped in goal corner area with the pole on far terrace side.

• Haha
Mr Frank White

Mr Frank White

Contributor
Madness if you think the 2nd try was on Shaun Johnson. I've been a huge critic of his, but if he jams on Hayne, then there is a 2 on 1 on the edge, they pass and score.

Shaun Johnson rightly slides, communicates to Brodene to take Hayne, all Brodene does is back pedal and do nothing. Of he

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

The first try wasn't Bodene's fault, or anyone's fault for that matter. It was just good attack. If you go back to the ptb before the try you'll notice that the titans stacked their left side so they'd have an 8 on 4 overlap. It doesn't really matter what the defense would have done or who was marking who, they had the numbers. That was actually a part of their game-plan too, Henry said they'll be looking to run the ball and vary their last tackle options as the Warriors like to have both wingers back for the kick. You'll be able to read more about that here:

https://www.nrl.com/stopping-warrio...-henry/tabid/10874/newsid/108731/default.aspx

You're right with the second try, Bodene was slow to get there and Johnson didn't wanna put his body on the line. I see that as a lack of fitness from Bo, attitude from Johnson and communication on both parts.

Can't really see your point for the third one though tbh. Thompson made the prev tackle so he was at marker for the ptb. He then pushed out left to cover the inside channel when the titans decided to run it thus dragging him away from the right. That was an opportunist try if I've ever seen one. Throw the ball around, put a kick in, see what happens. The scramble D defs could have been better from the team but overall those ones are usually pretty difficult to defend against.

It's lucky I decided to jump back on the forum so soon :) Since you didn't quote me directly I didn't get a notification for your post. I could have missed it completely and missed my chance to reply ;) all's well that ends well I guess

Exactly. The first try we did the same thing as what we did with Kens first try. The centre on each occasion was in the tackle. So the playmaker races from open to short side and they create extra numbers. The Warriors tried to cover up to the point where Lillyman got over to the short side.

The second try, Ayshford realises Hayne is taking the gap and turns in, realising the space between Shaun Johnson and Bodene was far too big. Blake turns in, but Shaun Johnson keeps sliding out. He needed to turn in and it would have been covered easily.

It's easy to take pot shots on some familiar favourites like Bodene and to an extent I've noticed in this thread Ben. Matulino made a lot of post contact metres, put on a couple of big hits and some well placed offloads. Bodene set up Roger Tuivasa-Sheck with a good offload and was busy defensively.

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Madness if you think the 2nd try was on Shaun Johnson. I've been a huge critic of his, but if he jams on Hayne, then there is a 2 on 1 on the edge, they pass and score.

Shaun Johnson rightly slides, communicates to Brodene to take Hayne, all Brodene does is back pedal and do nothing. Of he

There is a point though where it's clear Hayne only has eyes for the gap. Shaun Johnson could have turned in but didn't. The issue isn't Bodenes pace. It's the size of the gap and a lack of awareness on Hayne. And communication.

I can understand well before the line to slide out, but when it's really clear he's taking the gap, you've got to cover up.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
There is a point though where it's clear Hayne only has eyes for the gap. Shaun Johnson could have turned in but didn't. The issue isn't Bodenes pace. It's the size of the gap and a lack of awareness on Hayne. And communication.

I can understand well before the line to slide out, but when it's really clear he's taking the gap, you've got to cover up.
I thought there was a lack of urgency from Bodene in that try. I reckon Mannering would have been going for Hayne in the same position, but then Mannering is probably the best defender in the NRL.

Bodene topped the tackle count way ahead of Mannering and Luke yesterday. There is no way he could be dropped on that performance, but it was disappointing that he was close to so many line breaks. Maybe the chemistry between he and Shaun Johnson needs some tweaking.

kabkram

Is it just me or is Ken looking more like a real winger? His acrobatic try last week in the corner and he's now finishing off tries (He should have had two had it not been for a certain one eyed aussie ref).
I feel he's missing the main weapon in any good wingers arsenal and thats pace, he ain't got none and don't think it's something you can learn and it certainly doesn't come with age.

WarriorBall

I thought there was a lack of urgency from Bodene in that try. I reckon Mannering would have been going for Hayne in the same position, but then Mannering is probably the best defender in the NRL.

Bodene topped the tackle count way ahead of Mannering and Luke yesterday. There is no way he could be dropped on that performance, but it was disappointing that he was close to so many line breaks. Maybe the chemistry between he and Shaun Johnson needs some tweaking.

Shaun Johnson fessed up and claimed ownership for the Hayne try.

Noticed Bodene's been playing closer into the ruck, not sure if that's a plan or not.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
It's easy to take pot shots on some familiar favourites like Bodene and to an extent I've noticed in this thread Ben. Matulino made a lot of post contact metres, put on a couple of big hits and some well placed offloads. Bodene set up RTS with a good offload and was busy defensively.
Mutts metres per carry were not up with Vete or Bunty, although he played for longer and had more hitups. I have always rated Mutts, even from when he first started, the guy is class. We just haven't been seeing it lately but I bet the Tigers will.

hoolioh

hoolioh

Mutts metres per carry were not up with Vete or Bunty, although he played for longer and had more hitups. I have always rated Mutts, even from when he first started, the guy is class. We just haven't been seeing it lately but I bet the Tigers will.
He looked like he was in pain when he got up to play the ball a few times I thought

Tragic

Tragic

Actually it's wasn't SJs fault at all, he was sliding and actually pointing out Brodenes man to him, Brodene literally held off and didn't even attempt the tackle.
Shaun Johnson made some great one on one stops, but it breaks down in the line as Brodene refuses to commit to a tackle.
When I was watching I actually thought the opposite, that Shaun Johnson shot up making it harder for Bodene to get a shot on his player, either way they are not defending well together.