Post Match NRL 2017 - Round 11 - Warriors vs Dragons Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Rate the game. 1 Amazing - 5 Shit!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Warrior2017

I made the effort to go to Hamilton and sit there with 11,000 others on a cold and moist evening hoping for a big reaction from the previous weeks debacle, but all we got was a performance that can only be described as limp. This management and team really doesn't deserve the support it gets and the supporters do not deserve the shit that they get served up weekly.
yep same, travelled from Tauranga, walked out after 20 minutes second half, weak shirt grabbing defense, why cant these muppets wrap up the ball and player ala Simon Mannering style, we have 2-3 ineffectual shirt grabbing muppets in the tackle and the opposition is still getting the ball away, watching the team live our forwards just looked second rate shirt grabbing reserve graders, time for bodene to piss off worst player on the feild for me, Gavet can hold his head high the only forward that tried hard and hit hard the rest can piss off

Reactions: 1 users
Leaguegod

Leaguegod

I can't believe Hoffman dissed half the team, by saying only 9-10 were committed to say that shit shows a team divided! who were the 9 or 10 is the big head including himself? who isn't putting in, the back stabber should name players or shut the fuck up, it is a team game moron! get lost loser.

Trugoy

Trugoy

I can't believe Hoffman dissed half the team, by saying only 9-10 were committed to say that shit shows a team divided! who were the 9 or 10 is the big head including himself? who isn't putting in, the back stabber should name players or shut the fuck up, it is a team game moron! get lost loser.
Where'd he say that?

Leaguegod

Leaguegod

Where'd he say that?
"We need 17 blokes committed every weekend - you can't get by with only 10 players on, or nine players on," said senior player Ryan Hoffman

Just from stuff 11 hours ago I was gobsmacked what a loser, where did he put his 5 hit up effort? Unbelievable comment.

Reactions: 3 users

Colinah

The next morning after the Dragons game the Warriors team visited a Hamilton orphanage.
"It's heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope"
said Johnny aged 6

• Haha
Reactions: 21 users

Centurion

James Gavet: Warriors' performances have been 'embarrassing'
8:22 PM Saturday May 20, 2017

170519_WarriorsvDragons_BL_70_620x310.jpg

Dejected Warriors players after the Dragons score a try. Photo / Photosport
Warriors prop James Gavet admits the last two defeats have been "pretty embarrassing" but insists there is a way out of the current malaise.

Friday night's 30-14 loss to the Dragons was another step backwards, with the Warriors completely outgunned by a St George team coming off a three-match losing streak.

It was a worse performance than the debacle in Penrith, where the Warriors at least produced a compelling first half.

This team is in a serious hole, with no obvious way out. Players are down on confidence and belief, and looking for places to hide.

That was shown post-match on Friday, when most of the senior players dodged the media, showing the kind of urgency that was missing during the game as they scampered from the dressing room to the team bus.

But Gavet - who is not a big name but is becoming an unsung hero of this team - fronted, as he had done during the match, as one of the best forwards on the park.

"We all know what we are capable of," Gavet said. "After quite a few semi-good performances and then tossing in those two games [Penrith and St George], it's pretty embarrassing for all of us."

Gavet offered some welcome insight into what is going wrong with the team, who have won only one of their last five matches.

"It's not feeling really connected at the moment," he said. "It might be a bit of belief.

Everybody is trying to find a solution themselves but if we just calm down and trust in
what we have been doing from a month ago and back even further.

"We were making huge strides [but] it feels like everything is a bit frantic at the moment. Everyone is trying to do things that are a bit out of character. We trained well [last week] so it's hard to explain tossing up that performance."

The Dragons were missing two of their most influential players - in Gareth Widdop and Josh Dugan - but didn't miss a beat in Hamilton.

They clicked into gear almost immediately, and rolled up the field all night like a Panzer Tank Division, with the Warriors seemingly unable to do anything to prevent their progress.

The Dragons have one of the most balanced packs in the NRL - with size, power, pace and ball-playing ability - and there was a considerable gulf on Friday night, though the Warriors constantly put themselves under pressure.

"If you are doing back to back 'D' sets, or making errors . . . my seven-year-old son would be able to run through," said Gavet. "You can only make so many tackles and afford to give away that much ball and let that many offloads go before it ends up biting you in the butt."

"It all goes hand in hand. If we can knuckle down on those simple small details, things you learn in junior footy like locking up the ball [we can] stay in the contest."

The absence of Simon Mannering has also been a huge factor, with many in the Warriors team looking like lost children in a supermarket without their tireless former skipper on the field.

"He has been a big loss but more so his leadership than his stats," Gavet said. "And he has been the glue of our forward pack. It would be good to get him back."

- NZ Herald

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/warriors-league-team/news/article.cfm?c_id=360&objectid=11859845&ref=rss

Reactions: 1 users
Sledge

Sledge

8:22 PM Saturday May 20, 2017

170519_WarriorsvDragons_BL_70_620x310.jpg

Dejected Warriors players after the Dragons score a try. Photo / Photosport
Warriors prop James Gavet admits the last two defeats have been "pretty embarrassing" but insists there is a way out of the current malaise.

Friday night's 30-14 loss to the Dragons was another step backwards, with the Warriors completely outgunned by a St George team coming off a three-match losing streak.

It was a worse performance than the debacle in Penrith, where the Warriors at least produced a compelling first half.

This team is in a serious hole, with no obvious way out. Players are down on confidence and belief, and looking for places to hide.

That was shown post-match on Friday, when most of the senior players dodged the media, showing the kind of urgency that was missing during the game as they scampered from the dressing room to the team bus.

But Gavet - who is not a big name but is becoming an unsung hero of this team - fronted, as he had done during the match, as one of the best forwards on the park.

"We all know what we are capable of," Gavet said. "After quite a few semi-good performances and then tossing in those two games [Penrith and St George], it's pretty embarrassing for all of us."

Gavet offered some welcome insight into what is going wrong with the team, who have won only one of their last five matches.

"It's not feeling really connected at the moment," he said. "It might be a bit of belief.

Everybody is trying to find a solution themselves but if we just calm down and trust in

"We were making huge strides [but] it feels like everything is a bit frantic at the moment. Everyone is trying to do things that are a bit out of character. We trained well [last week] so it's hard to explain tossing up that performance."

The Dragons were missing two of their most influential players - in Gareth Widdop and Josh Dugan - but didn't miss a beat in Hamilton.

They clicked into gear almost immediately, and rolled up the field all night like a Panzer Tank Division, with the Warriors seemingly unable to do anything to prevent their progress.

The Dragons have one of the most balanced packs in the NRL - with size, power, pace and ball-playing ability - and there was a considerable gulf on Friday night, though the Warriors constantly put themselves under pressure.

"If you are doing back to back 'D' sets, or making errors . . . my seven-year-old son would be able to run through," said Gavet. "You can only make so many tackles and afford to give away that much ball and let that many offloads go before it ends up biting you in the butt."

"It all goes hand in hand. If we can knuckle down on those simple small details, things you learn in junior footy like locking up the ball [we can] stay in the contest."

The absence of Simon Mannering has also been a huge factor, with many in the Warriors team looking like lost children in a supermarket without their tireless former skipper on the field.

"He has been a big loss but more so his leadership than his stats," Gavet said. "And he has been the glue of our forward pack. It would be good to get him back."

- NZ Herald

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/warriors-league-team/news/article.cfm?c_id=360&objectid=11859845&ref=rss
Ffs so the Dragons can miss Widdop and Duggan and still win but when we miss Mannering we are absolute mudd?? Grow up u bunch of soft Fukin pansys and start puttin in the hard yards.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

j-bob

i just listened to the coach being inerviewed by veitch...

i managed about three minutes before the "you know " 20 times a minute got to me and i had to switch it off.

i am not at all surprised that our guys seem to have no idea what is going on and why there is no sign of a game plan.

coach comes across as thick as a brick.

Reactions: 2 users
Tedster

Tedster

Oh my sweet lord please don't say we trained well last week and then dished up that rubbish - all trying hard individually bla bla bla - yes, some are but please don't tell me shirt grabbing is part of that training.
Ffs so the Dragons can miss Widdop and Duggan and still win but when we miss Mannering we are absolute mudd?? Grow up u bunch of soft Fukin pansys and start puttin in the hard yards.
And please don't say we trained well all week, just a bunch of shyte when you miss tackles like you did and dished up that dribble friday nite. I think we should all sign a petition to let Mannering out of his contract and go to another club, guy really does deserve better.

jonno

jonno

See where I disagree with Gavet is that it's the players job to maintain their self belief. If a player fails in that respect they get dropped to reserve grade until they themselves get it back. If they never get it back they never get the call up to first grade.

And if a player gets a massive contract upgrade, and then suddenly loses their self belief I say WTF????? And punish that selfish cu** until he pulls his head out of his ass.

The players aren't the club, they are the contracted employees of the club.

If they want to be a part of the club, and get the feel good feelings that come with being in a footy club, they have to take massive pay cuts for the good of the club. If they accept top dollar, then they have to deliver on their contracts or they get punished to the value of their contracts that they aren't delivering on. It's that simple.

Some of these guys get paid way too much money for me to feel sorry for them. Charity is for the poor.

But in saying all that I salute Gavet for his effort in that game. It's just a shame he didn't have a few more friends out there.

Reactions: 4 users
Bluecat again

Bluecat again

Awesome
Sunday morning and a whole day without having to look forward to the Warriors
Love Friday night games. It gets the pain over early and I can enjoy the weekend

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Centurion

Plus where were all the "seniors players" - too scared to front to be interviewed. Drop nuts!

Bluecat again

Bluecat again

Shit!!. I spoke too soon. There's a replay of the game on Sky right now :(
I wonder if anyone anywhere is actually watching it?

• Haha
Waiting For Premiership

Waiting For Premiership

Shit!!. I spoke too soon. There's a replay of the game on Sky right now :(
I wonder if anyone anywhere is actually watching it?

Turn TV volume off, play any Leonard Cohen CD and let the party begin...Hallelujah

• Haha
Navigator

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
Anyone know if Fusitua got injury out of the Dragons game ?
He seemed to be carrying a shoulder or peck injury in the 2nd half.

Centurion

printLogo.png

It's frustrating being a fan but passion remains
5:00 AM Sunday May 21, 2017
Dale Budge
21394216f42129bd9a4c2d7c0ec2c2c114277a35_620x311.jpg

Graeme Lee was named fan of the year at the annual club awards in 2015.
Could there be anything more soul-destroying than being a Warriors fan?

After Friday night's dismal performance against the Dragons, many would argue "no".

The Panthers defeat a week earlier prompted some Warriors fans to film them burning their jerseys in protest at the team's performance. But, as club member Graeme Lee explains, those fans are in the minority.

The "mild-mannered" flower grower from Tauranga fell in love with the Warriors more than two decades ago and he readily makes the 2-hour trip to Auckland to watch every home game - wearing the same costume, sitting in the same seats.

"I'm the idiot with the top hat and the big 'Warriors Proud' sign," Lee explained. "I put that hat on and it is almost like you are putting on a costume and you are a different person. It is like you have put on your kit and here we go and you're there for a good time."

But after 23 seasons of more disappointment than success, don't Warriors fans deserve better?

"My theory is you get out of it what you put into it. You go there and on game day, it is like an escape from the pressures of everyday life with work and family and you have 80 minutes of footy to look forward to," Lee said.

"It is out of your control. It is a primeval gladiator-type sport. You always want your team to win and I always want them to put in their best performance. I don't think there is any sporting team in the world that wins all the time though."

He can recall talk of the expansion of an Auckland-based side in the early 1990s but laughed it off as bar-room talk until that magical night of March 10, 1995 - a date he recalls from memory - when the club played their inaugural competition match against the Broncos.

"Our first born - that was her due date and it is also my wife's birthday," Lee said. "I told my wife I could still probably go to the game and she told me 'like hell'. I could have got up to Auckland and back home in time. She ended up in labour for 18 hours, so I had plenty of time. I don't know what she was complaining about," he joked.

Lee was elected to the club membership council and in 2015, he was named fan of the year at the annual club awards.

Although the Warriors have endured one of their toughest weeks in history, Lee recalls plenty of defeats that stung just as much as those in Penrith and Hamilton.

"Life isn't always fair. You get calls that go against you and you have disappointment ... [but] it is sport. There is going to be a winner and there is going to be a loser.

"As long as my team goes out there and gives it a solid crack, that is all I can ask for."

- NZ Herald

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/warriors-league-team/news/article.cfm?c_id=360&objectid=11860014&ref=rss

Centurion

.. and one more from Mr Budge ...

NRL: The root of all the Warriors problems
9:07 AM Saturday May 20, 2017
Dale Budge
GettyImages-685102652_620x310.jpg

Ben Matulino of the Warriors charges forward during the round 11 NRL match. Photo / Getty Images
My colleague and mate David Skipwith wrote that the Warriors season is hanging by a thread after last night's loss to the Dragons in Hamilton.

He's right but worse still the Warriors are running a serious risk of this season spiraling horribly out of control by the midway point and that could prove very costly in the years to come. In previous years the collapse has come after the Origin period and at a time when the club has convinced itself it can make the playoffs.

The past 120 minutes of football against the Panthers and Dragons is as clueless as I've seen. Confidence is at rock bottom and coach Stephen Kearney needs to make changes.

Let's examine a few of the key problems.

The Warriors forwards, as I wrote after week three, are rubbish. James Gavet aside there is just no go-forward. Forget the numbers they put up - numbers don't highlight what platform is being laid. The Warriors went set-for-set with the Dragons through the opening 10 minutes last night and didn't make an error.

It looks promising on paper but in reality they didn't ask a single question of the Dragons and didn't fatigue their opposition in any way. One-out straight running, with no footwork, no serious punch or creative play is just too easy to defend.

The Dragons meanwhile were dominating through late footwork at the line from impressive forwards Jack de Belin and Paul Vaughan. Russell Packer hit the line hard and all of the Dragons forwards showed some creativity with a change of angle or tip-on pass to make the Warriors defense work and therefore fatigue.

The issues start up front. Gavet is impressive carrying the ball for about 10 minutes at a time before he is a spent force and becomes a massive liability defending. Charlie Gubb and Sam Lisone fatigue far too quickly and have too many errors and penalties in their game while Jacob Lillyman gives them honest toil but no quick play-the-balls.

This remains the root of all of the Warriors problems.

Because they are not working over the opposition they are getting more energy thrown back at them and that is leading to miss-tackles, offloads and having to work harder without the ball. Sure - the defense is embarrassingly bad at times but it stems from the lack of parity up front.

Hooker Issac Luke has been a giant waste of money since arriving from the Rabbitohs but to be fair to him, his skills are best suited behind a dominant pack.

It is the same with halfback Shaun Johnson. Johnson has turned in two of his worst performances these past two weeks and he looked broken at times against the Dragons as everything he tried went pear-shaped. He's trying hard - maybe too hard - and it is clear that he will never be a good half when playing behind an average pack. He deserves criticism for his lack of execution but at least he's trying. I can't say the same for Kieran Foran. The five-eighth was fantastic in the first half against the Panthers but we saw nothing of him in the second half or in last night's loss to the Dragons. Surely he needs to take control of the last tackle options more than he has when the side is struggling.

The Warriors are yet to really play their cards in terms of 2018 recruitment. They signed Kiwis second-rower Tohu Harris in the pre-season and have extended deals with Gavet and Ligi Sao. They are believed to have signed Titans back-rower Leivaha Pulu and they continue to search for a halves partner for Johnson but it is clear they need to put all of their attention and pour a significant part of their remaining cap space on big boppers.

They could start by looking really hard at how the Dragons have assembled their pack. With Lillyman, Matulino, Gubb, Albert Vete and Toa Sipley all off-contract or heading elsewhere next year the Warriors need to sign another four or five big men.

It is pointless trying to find the right halves partner for Johnson until they get that base sorted first.

Listening to Kearney in the press conference and speaking to him post-match, I get the feeling he knows all of this and recognizes the problem. The fix won't be easy and it almost certainly won't happen overnight. I just hope it doesn't blow up so bad that he doesn't get the chance to fix it.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/Dale-Budge/news/article.cfm?a_id=1051&objectid=11859740

jonno

jonno

It's frustrating being a fan but passion remains
5:00 AM Sunday May 21, 2017
Dale Budge
I'm not so sure that the passion remains. I think it's rapidly fading.

I'd like to do a quick poll.

Push the like button of your passion remains.
Push the funny button if your passion is fading.

• Haha
Reactions: 22 users