• HELL YES!

• Yes

• Yeah but made it hard on themselves

• Nah but they tried

• No

• $@##%^ *%$!:@{"& %@{}%^?!&$

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mr Brownstone

The biggest thing that round 1 confirmed for me is that we barely have an NRL competitive pack. Take Mannering and Luke out of a team already missing Matulino and we are a LONG way off the top sides. For anyone that missed the Cowboys v Raiders game, I encourage you to find a replay to watch - that will outline the difference between the contenders and us.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Shaun Johnson were the only players that kept us in the game. Our props lack of go forward is our single biggest problem. Vete is fucking soft! Our second biggest problem remains composure - which I reckon stems directly from a lack of leadership within the squad.

Broken record stuff here but please can we just forget about Foran for next year; let the bloke get back to Australia where his kids are and where he should be. Put some faith in young Ata and get on to signing a line bending big dude. They do exist, some clubs have multiple examples of it. We don't have one.

Reactions: 2 users

Jordan G

Knights are spoon certainties and we almost lost to them.

Still...we won, 8 other teams didn't.

The first 5 rounds always throw up random results as teams try to weigh each other up. Wins are gold, especially for us.

I'm not concerned about "if we had been playing team x" logic because week to week that doesn't apply.

What does concern me is the old habits of players doing some dumb things, poor fundamentals, and how a coaching team with more league experience, knowledge, and understanding than I will ever have, actually believe they can turn Maumalo into a winger.

Reactions: 4 users
Afakasi247

Afakasi247

There was a lot to take in from that first up performance.

The negatives have all been stated, rise wash and repeat.

Mooks stated in the post match conference that after the last 5 seasons, there will be signs of familiarity.

We had a shit load of that yesterday.

He also said that what's trying to be implemented - that above the line mentality - wouldn't happen over night.

That was obvious yesterday.

First off, the main gripe from the fallout of this game is the lack of respect shown towards Newcastle. They played a hell of a game, backed off the right attitude and enthusiasm.

They perhaps benefited from lack of expectation - just ask the Dragons.

If you only look at the last 15 minutes of the first half, it was evident we were a class above the Knights - we carved out 4 tries in 15 minutes to turn a 8-0 deficit into a 20-8 halftime lead.

Old habbits crept in, but we showed the "courage", as Mooks put it, to finish off strong and pull out the win from the jaws of defeat.

That's different, no matter who the opposition was.

Outside the usual suspects who had strong games as mentioned throughout, I actually thought the defence wasn't structurally bad despite giving up 22 points.

Pretty much all of Newcastles tries came off individual lapses - Lolohea failing to collect the high ball, Papalii (welcome to the NRL)/Thompson falling off their tackle, Fusitua misreading the attacking line and rushing in creating the over lap, Shaun Johnson with piss poor effort to collect the grubber with Tui (again) poor one on one effort.

Pretty much tries that had no right to be scored, off the back of mental lapses.

The one mountain that needs to overcome is the mental game. You only have to listen to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck's pregame segment when he explains his poor start to last season as himself not mentally preparing himself for his responsibilities and then beginning to doubt himself when things get tough.

We've seen how Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has responded to that - let's see how the rest of the boys follow the captains lead, shrug off this win and as a team focus on a complete performance to weather the Storm come Friday.

Last edited:
1995Warriorsfan

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
I enjoyed the win yesterday but watching these guys play feels like watching them over the last 5 years.

Just to inconsistent and far to many mistakes. As usual they get a good lead and then fall asleep.

I was hoping to see something different with SK now in charged but i haven't seen anything too different yet.

If they play like this on Friday the Storm will destroy us.

The young forwards need to step up if we are going to get close to making the 8.

Does any one know why Bully was also used for goal kicking yesterday? Has Shaun Johnson still got issues with groin?

Finally at the end of the game yesterday, Nathan Brown throw his pen out the coaches box and it hit a girl on the head.

He was very apologetic about it but you can see how frustrated he was with the Knights loss.

Anyway I will be back at Mt Smart on Friday night for some more punishment.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Trugoy

Trugoy

Luke, who injured himself kicking a conversion, and Mannering are not expected to be long-term injuries and may be available for Friday night's clash with Melbourne at Mt Smart.
If you watch the replay of the last try before halftime, Luke grabbed at his ribs after passing..pretty sure he didn't get injured taking the conversion.

Hope he's right for the Storm game, it's a no brainer how much we need him.

Reactions: 1 users
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
For the first time since they ran out for their very first game back in 95 i wasnt watching the game live. Nor have i seen a replay or am i likely to do so. (I gave up my foxtell and this is Melbourne so AFL rules and sometimes you get a game on 9, I managed to see the Bunnies and Eels games).
Funny enough i looked at the poll above and answered yes to option number 1. Hell Yes!
For years ive been saying i dont care if they win well or win dirty, i just want wins on the board. The comp isnt about looking pretty its about results and for the first time since 09 they start in a positive position. Hell Yes!
I didnt see the plays that are bringing people down so i wont comment on any player, or any play.
I will say that at least we're not the Rabbitos who have just lost one of their two big investments for the season. And got beaten badly as well. I bet they would have taken a dirty win if they coulda. So again Hell Yes!

<its a lot easier to ride the rollercoaster when your blindfolded>

Reactions: 3 users
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Ken Maumalo had an absolute shocker and has to be replace by Manu Vatuvei.

Interesting to note that the Knights comeback started 2 minutes after Simon Mannering went off. Until then he was having a great game on offence and defence. To think theres a muppet in this forum that thinks he should be playing reserve grade shows how underrated he really is. Id be worried as hell if we lose him for any length of time. By far the most essential cog on our machine.

The way the new defensive structure is built we cannot afford to have our middle weak.

Tuimoala Lolohea needs to jump. Every team in the comp will have a huge target on his back. That edge of his, Fusitua and Shaun's needs more defensive work. Johnson needs to watch the replay and take note of Ata Hingano's positioning when he comes out of the line. Kills the vast majority of movements out the right side. Essential when you have an overlap.

Was disappointed that Shaun Johnson didnt take his man after Roger Tuivasa-Sheck made his break in the 70th minute. Should have held him up for that split second to create the one on one.

Happy enough with the pack. Lillyman really needs to step up. Not sure if he is carrying an injury but as the senior prop he needs to lifting the others with his game. Seems a little pedestrian to me.

Great captains knock from Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. Clear to see he is playing with renewed confidence and we are going to see some real magic from the guy this season. So happy to have him in our squad.

A lot of half chances and straight butchered tries which should have had us up comfortably. Edge defence needs plenty of work.

Heaps to work on obviously but very pleased with the result. No point being a sook. We won. Be happy until at least Friday you miserable bastards lol...

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Ripped this off FB but how good was that screen!? From 15+ metres away it looked HD. The other thing is its live so there is only a fraction of a second delay between whats on screen and the onfield play. Going to look awesome on Friday night...

17103380 1299659466747209 1715554607377133676 n

Reactions: 10 users
eric

eric

Ken Maumalo had an absolute shocker and has to be replace by Manu Vatuvei.

Interesting to note that the Knights comeback started 2 minutes after Simon Mannering went off. Until then he was having a great game on offence and defence. To think theres a muppet in this forum that thinks he should be playing reserve grade shows how underrated he really is. Id be worried as hell if we lose him for any length of time. By far the most essential cog on our machine.

The way the new defensive structure is built we cannot afford to have our middle weak.

Tuimoala Lolohea needs to jump. Every team in the comp will have a huge target on his back. That edge of his, Fusitua and Shaun's needs more defensive work. Johnson needs to watch the replay and take note of Ata Hingano's positioning when he comes out of the line. Kills the vast majority of movements out the right side. Essential when you have an overlap.

Was disappointed that Shaun Johnson didnt take his man after Roger Tuivasa-Sheck made his break in the 70th minute. Should have held him up for that split second to create the one on one.

Happy enough with the pack. Lillyman really needs to step up. Not sure if he is carrying an injury but as the senior prop he needs to lifting the others with his game. Seems a little pedestrian to me.

Great captains knock from Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. Clear to see he is playing with renewed confidence and we are going to see some real magic from the guy this season. So happy to have him in our squad.

A lot of half chances and straight butchered tries which should have had us up comfortably. Edge defence needs plenty of work.

Heaps to work on obviously but very pleased with the result. No point being a sook. We won. Be happy until at least Friday you miserable bastards lol...

Thought Lillyman was solid. Ran for the most metres out of our forwards. He looks to be a bit faster too. Looking forward to having Ben back alongside him though.

JBmurc

JBmurc

well if we can keep close to the storm it could well be a good sign ....but just as good chance we will get pumped 30pts as the storm are so good at exposuring poor D players and tiring out are forwards to really hammer us in the second qtrs of the halfs....no team fitter hard to put away

>> If we can lift to a new level and beat the storm well then we might just have turned a corner and could well make the top8...

I agree with the previous poster on the Raiders Vs Cows game they put in performances your'd expect in finals footy just electric huge efforts that would have ripped the worriers boys a new one

ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Administrator

I refuse to be happy. Nah I will TRY be happy, just for you.

My main concern was/is...I felt like I was watching almost the exact same performance as many of our wins over the past couple of years. Other side looked hungrier, defence looked frail, line speed non existent, same players making trademark errors or lapses in judgement. Thought they did well to finish the first half at 20-8 after being 8-0 down, but noone really took control of it after that, everything they did seemed reactive rather than proactive. And without meaning to be too harsh to the Knights, they seemed like they played with a bit of energy...but that was about it, they weren't exactly setting the world on fire in attack or defence.

If this squad had had a major overhaul in the offseason then I could live with a really patchy, shite performance against a side like the Knights. But this team is fairly well established by NRL standards. So yeah, very disappointed.

Reactions: 2 users

facefacts

Dont know why people are being so hard on Maumalo...120 odd meters, 2 errors and some piss poor defense, if that isn't an exact replacement for Manu what is?

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
MurrayTD

MurrayTD

Thought Newcastle showed up with the exact attitude that usually nullifies the Warriors, minimal mistakes, exert early pressure and watch us unfold. we nearly dropped our bundle, but fark me we were able to absorb the pressure, and then start applying ours. I really thought that last 20 in the first half we looked as good as we have in long time.
Exit Luke and Mannering. Mannering is a beast, his game up until his injury was as good as i have seem from him. To lose such pivotal roles as hooker, and our defensive organiser is about a bigger blow as a side can take. But, we still came through.
Really happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
mrblonde

mrblonde

Yep, best thing about yesterday was the screen.

They need to find a better way of scrolling the stats, though. Simple solution: We know who the emblems represent, get rid of the three letter signifier and scroll just a tad faster.

Ain't it great-ish to be bitching about a win?

Hopeful of a win against the Breeze without Slater and Bromwich and if the Bulldogs lose again this weekend they're up against it in Dunedin where hopefully we can replicate the Broncos game.

Reactions: 1 user
Raurimu Massive

Raurimu Massive

I'm hoping there's going to be a review as to how in the hell a ref can send a play up to the bunker and ask to check the onside from a kick, only to have the bunker ignore that instruction? I know there were communication problems, but they check the onsides for every damned kick, whether asked to or not. But not this time, for some obscure reason, try to Newcastle.

Reactions: 6 users
Donal

Donal

Storm next week will be a good litmus test of where we REALLY are. I'll be happy if we stay in the grind with them long enough.

Now, I'm going to make a suggestion based on past experiences.

Even in 2002 and 2011 our defence wasn't all that. In 2002 we got lucky with the draw and we hit a lot of the hard teams at the right time (origin, injured, out of form or all the above). We also had a good injury run. The Bulldogs were the best team and they got DQ'ed.

I say if this team focuses on dominating attack we can go all the way. If they focus on finishing every break, they win 90% of games. Because our forwards are not as good as other teams', we have to rely on the backs to do the job. I say bring Warrior ball back. Cos you can't train these young guys to hold onto a ball long. We've tried and failed. So let's not attempt the impossible. Just throw caution to the wind. It is a strategy that no defence can plan for. Play to our current strengths, not our weaknesses.

The only difference I see is that those GF teams had monster forwards and mobility. Ours..hmmm

Interesting post, mate. Only thing I'd say is that the Bulldogs weren't necessarily the best team in 2002: they came to Mt Smart and we put them away, for me still one of our top (if not THE top) performances. But yes, traditional go for it Warriors attack is a good plan, esp as our back line is pretty strong.