General NRL 2016 Round 8 - General Discussion

Which TWO games are most looking forward to?

• Broncos vs Rabbitohs

• Bulldogs vs Titans

• Raiders vs Tigers

• Cowboys vs Eels

• Sharks vs Panthers

• Knights vs Manly

• Dragons vs Roosters

• Storm vs Warriors

Results are only viewable after voting.
Really enjoyed the roosters/dragons game, i actually wanted the roosters to win! Thought some of the calls went against the roosters and the Napa/Cordner tackle when the Dragons player got knocked out, didn't think they should have put Napa on report or even given a penalty, looked like a hard hit but unfortunately the replay didn't look good with the player out cold. Good game though.

Napas hit was high although accidental. It doesn't matter that it bounced up. Cordner's follow up was a well disguised shoulder hit that unlucky to have collected the head. Deserved a penalty but not to be put on report.

Napas hit was high although accidental. It doesn't matter that it bounced up. Cordner's follow up was a well disguised shoulder hit that unlucky to have collected the head. Deserved a penalty but not to be put on report.
Watching it again on the Matty Johns show it shows Cordners head impacted with the Dragons players, Napa possibly a tad high - not pretty to watch when the player go's to ground the way he did, i see Robinson was fined $40,000 for his spray on the officials after the game and not happy at all with Ben Cummins the ref - i thought he spoke quite well and had some fair points but obviously you can't say anything hence the fine. :rolleyes:

I see that Tony Archer once again said the ref was wrong to sin bin the warriors against the storm. but what good does that do us down to ten men took the steam out of us. Next the same happened and tony Archer once again said that the player that inpeded us from scoring a try 2 weeks ago should have got 10 mins BUT NO IT IS THE WARRIORS lets shaft them any way we can. And so it goes on and on. As I said in the storm warriors game all the warriors should have walked off the field in protest and really brought it to light what theses refs are all about including the Bunker call when they also over turned a play the ball into a goal line drop out which again was once again proved wrong but it was the WARRIORS so who cares

Reactions: mt.wellington
Huge respect for Lyon for the stance he took early on in his career but can't help but think how much better NSW would have been if he had chosen to play Rep football. I wonder if his stance played some part in Matai curtailing his Kiwi's career early or whether there were other mitigating factors.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sup42
Rugby league seems to be producing less and less true Centers.

With the proliferation of athletes over footballers, so many teams are relying on speed and power over intellect.

Lyon is a Wally Lewis like figure. Unlikely physique, fierce competitor, out thinks his opposites.

I couldn't stand the bloke when he first hit the scene, he has one of those faces that screams out punch me (& wears a Jersey that says 'twice over').

But you watch these guys, you see how they orchestrate a game and end up going 'hang on this bloke is really bloody good at Rugby league.

As the years pass you end up admiring this type of player that stays quality longer than most running around, envy turns to open admiration.

Going to miss watching a Center of this class on the scene....perhaps Whare will inherit the Mantle of he stays best in position for as long.

Were Lyon a Warrior, he would likely have been played out of position at five eight.

That's the difference between us and the Manly's of the world....they could afford over his career to keep a ball playing defensive center in one position....(by in large).

The other difference is they can cook the books in such a fashion as to retain these types for less than their openmarket value.

In our local market....if its a center with a good read....they are likely to get mongrelized to other positions like the backrow or Fb.

If CNK gets moved from center by the Warriors, I give up.

Reactions: mt.wellington