• Yes

• Its OK

• Dont care

• No

• Who cares? Just win!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Cappy put Lillyman on the bench because their big boyz, Klemmer and Kasiano, come off the bench. Yep, I see Manu coming in for Wright.

Reactions: Defence

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I think Tui is playing there as a stop gap measure as Robson isn't playing well and Tommy can't play 80 yet. That lineup also allows him to drop Konnie from the bench and have Tui to cover the backline which given our injuries and bench is needed.
That was my initial thoughts but Cappys already come out saying that Tuimoala Lolohea was always meant to be the 5/8 and he'll be given time to adapt.

Anyone think that is a delay tactic?

If Tuimoala Lolohea fails to fire then Cappy will say the spine needs time to gel. If Tui continues to disappoint Cappy will bring in Thomas Leuluai and again we'll have to wait for the spine to gel...

'He brings a lot of energy' Mannering
Thu 14th April, 11:49AM

Simon Mannering spoke to media ahead of the Vodafone Warriors match against the Bulldogs in Wellington.

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2016/04/14/mannering_.af_video.html

Pretty good interview with Juju there moving forward to the Bulldogs game, some good Q&A particularly with the second journalist breaking down the Warriors play from the Manly game in terms of where the improvement needs to come and importantly how to implement those improvements.

A bit off topic but what I've found troubling is our younger players inability when asked by the media to make an assessment of a past game or the opposition they are facing and that got me thinking, I know media interviews don't always come naturally but I find many of our young boys seem to possess almost no rugby league vocabulary or at most a very limited one. I don't think I'm being too harsh here, these are young men 21,22,23 years of age and should be able to find words to express a point of view on the game or a specific team one way or the other.

I'm treading into murky waters here so I'll be careful, without wanting to over generalize we know our Polynesian players physically develop much faster than their Caucasian cousins, again it's a generalization but is it fair to suggest that Caucasians develop mentally much quicker that non Caucasians, is English not spoken as a first language an inhibiting factor in the mental development for some of our young stars.

Without possession of the language or the vocabulary of the game it has to be a limiting factor, from fully understanding the coaches and staff through to mentally reading and assessing the game. It's only one aspect but is this a fair conclusion we can draw for why in part we struggle to mentally foot it with mentally tougher teams in the NRL.

Our errors either come from poor decisions with the football or from poor discipline. Some players have mental frailties Gubb for example has admitted to the "red mist" mentality which lands us in trouble with the officials, other players don't read the game well, take Konnie as an example, he lacks the mental capability to understand a play as it's unfolding in defense and it manifests itself in poor communication or lack of a "rugby league vocabulary" so says nothing to his mates around him or worse the wrong thing. I don't want to pick our player apart but it helps to understand their weaknesses if we can break it down into smaller pieces. What are the mental frailties or deficiencies of our players and how do the coaches, JD and the rest of the staff address them.

We may be 2-4 for the season but were hardly ever beaten by the opposition, we nearly always find a way to implode in some shape or form and that goes right back in time. JD needs to look harder at the mental aspect of our side because good footwork and a tricky offload or flick pass will only get you middle of the table in this competition. As fans were looking more than anything for a consistent mentality from our players that manifests itself on the field, where they aim up every single week and play for each other and their fans.

I can't help but think to the all blacks, they just don't seem to face the same problems with mental toughness that the Warriors do, same country, same people different mentality ... if you found the answer to that conundrum you could sell it to Eric Watson and retire.

Last edited by a moderator:
It amazes me that people have been calling for Lolohea to play in the halves and already on this thread alone I have read people comment "If he doesn't impress Thomas can slot in at number 6"

Seriously, I believe Tui is a genuine number 6 and the long term 6 for the Warriors.

He is still a baby in age and in experience let alone playmaking experience in the NRL.

He must be given time.

Yes it is frustrating for fans after every loss and the continual disappointment of the Warriors team over the last how many ever years.

But this squad right now with names like Roger, Shaun, Tui, Vatuvei and great young talents like Kata, Tevaga and Sao, this is best squad they have had in a very long time hence the reason they were tipped as a top 4 side before the season starts.

Regardless of how Tui plays, he must not be moved back to the wing and given every opportunity to grow into not only the best 6 the Warriors have ever had but also in the comp.

Steven had faith in him at 6 for the kiwis, Cappy needs to back him all the way at 6, if he doesn't and moves him back to the wing, you can guarantee he will be picked up by another club.

That was my initial thoughts but Cappys already come out saying that Tuimoala Lolohea was always meant to be the 5/8 and he'll be given time to adapt.

Anyone think that is a delay tactic?

If Tuimoala Lolohea fails to fire then Cappy will say the spine needs time to gel. If Tui continues to disappoint Cappy will bring in Thomas Leuluai and again we'll have to wait for the spine to gel...

The only thing I don't like about Cappy using that excuse...

Manly didn't use it (Dylan Walker at five eighth, new hooker, then Koroisau to halfback with DCE injured)...
Raiders didn't use it...
Titans didn't use it...
Tigers didn't use it in round 1...
Eels didn't use it (with Gordon and Foran new to their spine).

Yet our spine needs time to gel... which is even stranger given that Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Shaun Johnson and Luke have all played and trained together for the kiwis...

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor

I'm treading into murky waters here so I'll be careful, without wanting to over generalize we know our Polynesian players physically develop much faster than their Caucasian cousins, again it's a generalization but is it fair to suggest that Caucasians develop mentally much quicker that non Caucasians, is English not spoken as a first language an inhibiting factor in the mental development for some of our young stars.

Without possession of the language or the vocabulary of the game it has to be a limiting factor, from fully understanding the coaches and staff through to mentally reading and assessing the game. It's only one aspect but is this a fair conclusion we can draw for why in part we struggle to mentally foot it with mentally tougher teams in the NRL.

I dunno mate, albert vete was captain of his first 15 at a private school, he’s an impressive speaker, there’s plenty of caucasians played for the warriors who barely get above the standard clichés.

If you hear Greg Inglis talk he sounds like he got dropped on his head as a child, his on field savvy, there’s nothing wrong with that.

SBW is praised (these days) for his work ethic and intelligence in switching sports and picking up the nuances almost seamlessly, got told a story from someone speaking to an All Blacks media person that sonny had quote “the mental age of a 13 year old” away from the field.

I think we just lack resilience more than intelligence, when things don’t go their way, they fall apart. Maybe they are too aware of their failings, some more single minded dummies who can only focus on running, tackling and getting up again might be helpful!

Last edited:
I dunno mate, albert vete was captain of his first 15 at a private school, he’s an impressive speaker, there’s plenty of caucasians played for the warriors who barely get above the standard clichés.

If you hear Greg Inglis talk he sounds like he got dropped on his head as a child, his on field savvy, there’s nothing wrong with that.

SBW is praised (these days) for his work ethic and intelligence in switching sports and picking up the nuances almost seamlessly, got told a story from someone speaking to an All Blacks media person that sonny had quote “had the mental age of a 13 year old” away from the field.

I think we just lack resilience more than intelligence, when things don’t go their way, they fall apart. Maybe they are too aware of their failings, some more single minded dummies who can only focus on running, tackling and getting up again might be helpful!

Albie's certainly an exception to the rule and I wouldn't class him as someone who struggles in that department ... I just wonder if language is an impediment to some of our players.

Your right about Greg Inglis he's generally pretty switched on when he's not trying to slot pointless field goals but speaks English like it's his second language.

Resilience ... defined as "Psychological resilience ... an individual's ability to properly adapt to stress and adversity. Sounds about right to me.

Straight from the Psychology today handbook "Psychologists have identified some of the factors that make someone resilient, among them a positive attitude, optimism, the ability to regulate emotions, and the ability to see failure as a form of helpful feedback. Even after misfortune, resilient people are blessed with such an outlook that they are able to change course and soldier on."

Time for a Warrior player pop quiz.

Reactions: eudebrito
I tend to think it is more knowledge and awareness, if they don't have a clue about what is going to happen next and have no awareness of where to be or what to do they get found out.

Watching the top teams they leave players standing in our path on the fifth to slow the kick chasers, never see our team doing that.
Ball gets kicked to their fullback and they have a screen around him, never see our team do that.
Guy makes a break and top teams have players running either side, seldom see our team do that.

Do they sit down and watch a video of the team they are about to player and discuss how to block, stop or minimise the effectiveness of their playmakers?

Just basic shit really but most of our team look braindead and only know how to run into brick walls.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
A bit off topic but what I've found troubling is our younger players inability when asked by the media to make an assessment of a past game or the opposition they are facing and that got me thinking, I know media interviews don't always come naturally but I find many of our young boys seem to possess almost no rugby league vocabulary or at most a very limited one. I don't think I'm being too harsh here, these are young men 21,22,23 years of age and should be able to find words to express a point of view on the game or a specific team one way or the other.
The ability to speak, particularly public speaking, has sweet fuck all to do with anything in terms of league playing ability. When Brent Kite captained the Tongan team in the 2013 RLWC he didnt know a single word of Tongan bar saying hello. You think the Tongan public thought he was retarded? You think an orator like Winston Churchill was a good league player?

These guys are sports players. Not silver tongued politicians...

There's just NO excuse for not giving 100%. Tackling hard, running hard, support play, chasing kicks. Cappy said in an article today that those guys who are motivated are responding well to his system. WHAT!!! Either find a system that works for the 17 players, or get rid of the ones who are not motivated by the system. One or the other. Playing guys who are not motivated in a system that Cappy insists upon leads to a 2-4 record.

Reactions: mt.wellington
'He brings a lot of energy' Mannering
Thu 14th April, 11:49AM
Simon Mannering spoke to media ahead of the Vodafone Warriors match against the Bulldogs in Wellington.

Pretty good interview with Juju there moving forward to the Bulldogs game, some good Q&A particularly with the second journalist breaking down the Warriors play from the Manly game in terms of where the improvement needs to come and importantly how to implement those improvements.

Our errors either come from poor decisions with the football or from poor discipline. Some players have mental frailties Gubb for example has admitted to the "red mist" mentality which lands us in trouble with the officials, other players don't read the game well, take Konnie as an example, he lacks the mental capability to understand a play as it's unfolding in defense and it manifests itself in poor communication or lack of a "rugby league vocabulary" so says nothing to his mates around him or worse the wrong thing. I don't want to pick our player apart but it helps to understand their weaknesses if we can break it down into smaller pieces. What are the mental frailties or deficiencies of our players and how do the coaches, JD and the rest of the staff address them.

We may be 2-4 for the season but were hardly ever beaten by the opposition, we nearly always find a way to implode in some shape or form and that goes right back in time. JD needs to look harder at the mental aspect of our side because good footwork and a tricky offload or flick pass will only get you middle of the table in this competition. As fans were looking more than anything for a consistent mentality from our players that manifests itself on the field, where they aim up every single week and play for each other and their fans.

I can't help but think to the all blacks, they just don't seem to face the same problems with mental toughness that the Warriors do, same country, same people different mentality ... if you found the answer to that conundrum you could sell it to Eric Watson and retire.

Have they thought of asking the media questions in their first language if it's not English.

Would it be too much to get a translator like when a local team plays a non English speaking team?

The ability to speak, particularly public speaking, has sweet fuck all to do with anything in terms of league playing ability. When Brent Kite captained the Tongan team in the 2013 RLWC he didnt know a single word of Tongan bar saying hello. You think the Tongan public thought he was retarded? You think an orator like Winston Churchill was a good league player?

These guys are sports players. Not silver tongued politicians...

League playing ability not what's in question.

Do they talk to each other on the field .. can they talk , Lolohea makes out like Ayshford is the first center to ever talk him into position on the field before, telling him where to go, what to look for etc

If their just a bunch of dumb cu**s that speak pigeon english that's fine but FFS someone school them so they can at least communicate with each other on the field. I can almost guarantee a Bulldogs try down
Kata and Fusitua's side through poor communication, line break, cross kick whatever, No wonder Curtis Rona's been backed in to top the market at $1.55 to score a try.

And it's no wonder the U20's can't defend, it's something that's endemic at the club.

• Haha
Reactions: mt.wellington
Status
Not open for further replies.