General NRL 2016 Round 5 - General Discussion

Which TWO games are you most looking forward to? Warriors game included.

• Manly vs Rabbitohs

• Titans vs Broncos

• Storm vs Knights

• Tigers vs Sharks

• Cowboys vs Dragons

• Roosters vs Warriors

• Eels vs Panthers

• Bulldogs vs Raiders

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think we all know that Robson was always a stop gap measure to cover injuries and also to teach the younger guys. However I have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of work he does out there, along with a few missed tackles etc, but still a valuable contributor.

A lot has been said of Robson, I too have been critical of his performance but you can't question his heart, 12 seasons of top flight rugby league and still putting his body on the line. Good role model for our younger players.

David Mead was attacking everything with vigour and lack of respect for his own well being.
What a smash he put on Corey Oates and nice shot on Kahu.
He was great.

Adam Blair / Jessie Bromwich / Ben Matulino all in great form for the Kiwi jersey.

Reactions: Stylez Davis
Warriors star Shaun Johnson 'bullied' on social media

Warriors star Shaun Johnson says the online abuse he gets from "keyboard warriors" is tantamount to bullying, and people who throw insults at him from behind a screen are "little shits".

Johnson tells Tony Veitch in a Newstalk ZB interview airing today that online abuse has made him question whether using social media is worth the hassle.

"Social media is a way to connect with fans and there's a lot out there saying you need to start posting more. On the flipside of that is it's a good way for people to vent their frustrations. I look at it as bullying, essentially," he said.

"It's just not worth it. I'm like any other person, I don't like seeing things like that."

Johnson is the latest celebrity to question the ugly side of social media, which has led to concerns over widespread teen bullying and even links to youth suicide.

Even lower-profile individuals and businesses can get caught up in an online firestorm, as Ponsonby restaurant Miss Moonshine's discovered this week when offensive slogans in its bathrooms were shared on Twitter.

Johnson uses Instagram to post snaps from his life, many of which capture him out and about at glamorous functions with his Silver Fern girlfriend, Kayla Cullen.

However, pictures of him drinking alcohol often result in backlash from people who accuse him of not focusing on being match-fit for rugby league.

"It's ridiculous. It just shows people are pretty clueless about a professional athlete's life. You can't live and breathe it 24/7."
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11615522

A lot has been said of Robson, I too have been critical of his performance but you can't question his heart, 12 seasons of top flight rugby league and still putting his body on the line. Good role model for our younger players.
Agreed, Robson and Ali are both good role models for the younger players to learn from - especially when it comes too attitude. I think, however, once he's ready (preferably after a couple of games in the NSWarriors), we'll see ThomasL back in FG while Robson will be back in the NSW Cup. I know some are saying that Robson may get the #14 jersey, but I think Cappy is thinking that either Jazz or Roache will get that role.

Let him out the back door, close it, lock it and make sure the cat flap is not open :)
I think Robson does provide value to the club. He wouldn't be costing us that much and provides cover for us - and let's face ThomasL isn't the most durable of players. He's just not a permanent FG half anymore.... but then he wasn't brought into the club to be one.

Mason has only just come back from injury, he plays NSW Cup for the first time this weekend.
OK then, why not have tried Lolohea, last time I checked he isn't injured, basically what I'm saying is what was the point of buying Robson, if the end plan was for him to end up playing NSW cup, that just isn't smart. We had enough cover for that position without Robson, who is old and would never have been a long term plan, so why wait for the inevitable instead of blooding what you feel your future will be. Uses up salary cap to purchase a better player and just has no logic to it whatsoever.

In anticipation to the response, ask yourself, how good was Robson as a player last season?, how long did we think he would play for the Warriors?, What would be our ideal half pairing?, We really need good centres that can read plays and tackle and they cost money that we have spent on a semi retired half, When is the right time to blood the new talent into the halves?

Just asking :)

Reactions: nzw
Here are some names of halves that were looking for a contract June last year, Chris Sandow, Trent Hodkinson, Jayden Nikorima, Mitchell Cornish, Daly Cherry evans, Damien Cook, Jack Littlejohn, Kurt Mann. There were also many others that could of been looked at, but this gives an idea of where we could of gone

Reactions: bruce
Here are some names of halves that were looking for a contract June last year, Chris Sandow, Trent Hodkinson, Jayden Nikorima, Mitchell Cornish, Daly Cherry evans, Damien Cook, Jack Littlejohn, Kurt Mann. There were also many others that could of been looked at, but this gives an idea of where we could of gone
Remember though, we picked up Robson really cheaply for a half - I doubt any of those you've mentioned would have come here as cheaply, especially if they thought they would be spending most of the season playing in the NSW Cup team.

Reactions: bruce and surfin