General NRL 2016 Round 4 - General Discussion

Which TWO games are you most looking forward to? Warriors game included.

• Rabbitohs vs Bulldogs

• Broncos vs Cowboys

• Raiders vs Titans

• Roosters vs Manly

• Dragons vs Panthers

• Warriors vs Knights

• Tigers vs Eels

• Sharks vs Storm

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jordan G

Great game. Felt sorry for the Cowboys, thought they were the better team, played more positive football, and were unlucky not to find a winner.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
What a game. These two teams are the benchmark when it games to the NRL. From a Warriors point of view, this game confirmed how far of the pace they are in competing for a premiership.
So true. We're shit in comparison...

sad.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Loved the passion both teams played with, both teams could have lost, but neither team was going to give it away.

Jordan G

Great game had everything.that was a try.

Which one? Lol. There were probably four almost tries that I thought were fair enough decisions, but wouldn't have minded if they were all given as well. Very close calls.

Reactions: 1 user
koolkat

koolkat

Cowboys,Brisbane all class,Warriors,Knights.just ass.but I'll take win however their come

Last edited:
  • Haha
BeastMode

BeastMode

Which one? Lol. There were probably four almost tries that I thought were fair enough decisions, but wouldn't have minded if they were all given as well. Very close calls.

I reckon the "knock on" by Thurston.

He had control of the ball all the way.

Cows were robbed of a victory.

JT all class, every week, all year.

Shaun Johnson could learn a thing or two just watching him play.

BeastMode

BeastMode

Thanks for clarifying MW.

Definitely a try from that angle.

;)

All seriousness, whats the rules on someone out of play and touching the ball/ player with the ball? does it mean the ball is officially dead? if so, technically couldnt Manu put one foot in the dead ball line and reach out to touch the ball/ball carrier when defending the line ?.

Either way it was called a knock-on by the bunker, so I'm guessing the fact he was out of touch and appears to be touching the ball means its ok? or did the bunker stuff their call up again?

Last edited:
Tedster

Tedster

Wow, awesome game last nite - great rugby league spectacle. Loving the cowboys, think they should have won, thought they were the better team on the nite. Loved watching Taumalolo roll forward in that second half, his metres run would have been huge. :rolleyes:

Tedster

Tedster

Oh and love the never give up attitude with these teams - kept going right to the end - someone posted here earlier these teams are the benchmark in this competition and at the moment streaks ahead of the others. Both JT's are champions.

smc

So can we conclude from last night the bunker is just as shit as the system was before?

Reactions: 1 users
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Actually it shows that the ball was out and it should have been a Cowboys scrum...

I thought I was going crazy as to why they didn't say that Eden had made the ball "out" thought it was pretty clear.

Great game, bit annoyed Bennetts penalty taking got rewarded this time

Marshthedarsh

I don't think anyone was thinking about that but you're right, if the Broncos player touches the ball it's out.

Another of those iffy try/no try calls. Ref called No Try because it didn't look like one. Bunker couldn't find conclusive evidence he hadn't knocked it on. If it had gone upstairs Try it would have been awarded.

From front on it looked like there was a little bobble. From the side angle it looked good. Not sure how I'd feel about it if that was a Warriors game though...

BeastMode

BeastMode

Cowboys demand explanation on Johnathan Thurston 'no try'

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/ru...explanation-on-jt-no-try-20160325-gnre64.html

They were warned.

But it seems nothing could satisfy North Queensland after some contentious NRL bunker calls in their 21-20 grand final re-match loss to Brisbane on Friday night.

NRL boss Todd Greenberg claimed the new $2 million bunker system would have a zero error rate this year.

However, it seems there are some teething problems after Cowboys coach Paul Green confirmed he would be issuing a strong 'please explain' to the league over not one but three game-changing calls.

North Queensland were left to rue a dubious obstruction call that denied them a 65th-minute try, an 82nd minute forward pass and Johnathan Thurston being denied a match-winning golden point try over a contentious knock-on.

Brisbane master coach Wayne Bennett had forewarned the league, saying the new bunker system would not be perfect despite the NRL hype.

But that did not make it any easier for the Cowboys to digest some major calls that went against them at a sold out Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

Green's biggest issue was Michael Morgan being denied a 65th minute try that would have given the visitors the lead for the first time due to a contentious obstruction call.

The bunker claimed backrower Ethan Lowe took out Brisbane's Alex Glenn in the lead-up.

"He [Glenn] would never have got there," Green said.

"It [Lowe's hit] would have made no impact on the play whatsoever."

Then there was Cowboys co-captain Thurston's disallowed 84th minute try.

Thurston appeared to score the golden point match-winner by pouncing on a loose ball batted back from the sidelines by diving winger Kyle Feldt.

However, the bunker saw a knock on in the lead-up - not that they would elaborate on who did it afterwards.

Thurston was seen arguing with officials after Anthony Milford kicked his 40m match-winning field goal in the 85th minute just moments after the Cowboys half was denied his four-pointer.

"I was just asking for an explanation and as usual they couldn't give it to me," Thurston said.

"Feldt knocked it into his own foot so I don't know how that could be a knock on," Green said.

"I need to clarify that."

History appeared to be repeating in the 82nd minute when Morgan set up Feldt for a match winning sideline try just as he did in the 2015 season decider.

But this time the touch judge cut short the Cowboys celebrations by ruling a borderline forward pass - much to Green's frustration.

"I didn't think it was forward, no," Green said.

"We shouldn't be talking about decisions, we should be talking about the game."

Green wasn't the only coach upset with aspects of Friday night's blockbuster, with Bennett expressing displeasure with the penalties conceded by the Cowboys.

The master coach took exception to the Cowboys after Brisbane were gifted four penalties virtually in front of the uprights by the visitors.

Bennett accused the Cowboys of giving away two points rather than risk six by committing professional fouls when the Broncos were attacking 20m from the try-line.

He even claimed the NRL were "three years behind" in development due to what he believed was a blight on the game.

"[NRL boss] Todd [Greenberg] has said the game is in front of tactics, well we are about three years behind [after] the amount of penalties we got," Bennett said.

"They [professional fouls] haven't gone out of the game and there are certain teams that do it. Their mindset is 'it's better to give you two than give you six'."

"Not all clubs are into it, but we have to have a better ruling than getting kicks when giving penalties away. We want to play football in there, we don't want to be taking the two points to be honest. The game has to start having a look at it."

Green disputed Bennett's claims, saying, "we don't intentionally give away penalties."

1458944885679.jpg

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Green is certain to be upset but he's wrong regardless.

I thought the obstruction call was right. One man out from the try scorer is close enough. No matter how remote there was a chance that Glenn could have aided in the stopping of that try. The key with that call is that they are consistent with all of them.

The forward pass had the ref right there in the pocket. No one in the world was in a better spot to see it than that linesman.

The most contentious one would be JT's try. IMO you cant have a ball roll like that without losing control of it...

Jordan G

Odds on Morgan scores regardless, but I had no issue with the obstruction call either

Thought JT lost control, but they got the restart wrong

I didn't think the pass was forward for that Cowboys try, but the linesman was right there. Still, it does raise doubts when 2 minutes later they missed one of the most blatant forward passes in the lead up to the JT no try. Forward passes are a complete lottery.

As I said earlier. All four tries that were disallowed I didn't really have an issue with, but wouldn't have complained either if the calls had gone the other way. There was very little between red and green light in all of them.