Were you happy with the teams effort?

• Amazing!

• Yes

• Yeah

• Nah

• No

• Embarrassing!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Shaun proved something me in that match - he really just doesn't understand league. Whether he's had that coached out of him as a result of trying to turn him into something he isnt (ie, a organizational 7) or whether he never had it in the first place, is a matter of debate - regardless, he just doesn't get it:

Early in the first half we were making huge in roads, it was extremely obvious that momentum was building strongly, we were getting close to the line, everything was primed for an attacking foray. What happened? Shaun gets his hands for the ball, and when he should have been making a move to put the defense in two minds, he slows up the entire play and gives an inside ball to Matulino who ambles it into the line, allowing the defense to reset itself, no longer on the back foot, and all momentum is lost. Infuriating. It was staggering to me that our no. 7 couldn't recognise that.

Another example was when, again, we were beginning to build momentum in the second half, we had gone into Tigers territory, and after THREE tackles Shaun puts in an absolutely nothing kick that could NEVER have given us any kind of advantage... and all momentum is wrested away from us again.

It was staggering to me. It's as if he's thinking out there, "I need to do half back kinda stuff. I know, I'll put a kick in here."

We desperately need an organizational half, because Shaun simply is not it. He doesn't get it. If we were a smart club, we would have put him at fullback years ago, best place for his skillset.
It's hard to argue, I don't think the Warriors tactic's suit Shaun Johnson's strengths.. Which is stupid because he is the playmaker therefore the teams style of play should be built around him. To me he is more of a 6 than 7. Maloney was the only player who combined with him well. Shaun Johnson and Foran have complemented each other well in the Kiwi's. Those 3rd tackle kicks drive me crazy!

I thought the fix would come last night Titans v Panthers, would have been an easy one to pull off. Much to my digust for 24 hrs I thought the nrl had actually gone clean. Both those tries would have been given for any other team.

We didn't deserve to be in the finals but when its out of our hands we are never going to go through.

Tonight (im in a different time zone and watched it delayed) proved a number of things. Manu would make a fucken great 2nd row forward. We need proper wingers desperately.

Our coach has no idea how to run a bench. Ata to hooker, seriously dude. Kidwell/Jones/Blackmore is looking like a set up next year. Cappy has no clue.

Kata/Fusitua/Lolo/Vete/Lisone need a coach to tap into how good these guys can really be.

Lillyman is gone. Woods showed tonight the value of a top flight prop. Mutts is a 2nd rower, let him be one.
Lisone is still the only one with any balls in our forward pack.

Shaun Johnson ran and scored a try. What we have been asking for. Nope. Called back for a bullshit obstruction.

Im out. The nrl is a fucken joke. Run by gambling and spot betting. Rules made up and changed on the spot. Consistency only when it suits them.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Had the "pleasure" to be sitting close to the front at the South End, out on Manu's wing. I don't think I've ever seen a player so unaware of where his opposite number was standing* - no shit, Manu had his back turned to the Tigpies winger all the time when we were defending. He never once (and that's not an exaggeration) ran backwards to get in position and keep an eye on play at the same time. Always facing our line, jogging back, never any sign of urgency except that attempt to stop the 40/20. Not the slightest bit of spark shown, which summed us up, really.

*Actually, I've seen a worse example, but that was Manu as well.

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
As much as i would like to blame Cappy, i can't and how can you dropped balls shit some of the worst passing i have seen and absolutely no backing up really that was a train wreck and not one thing a coach could have done about it. I seriously believe if u get rid of Manu half your problems will be solved, Johnson should never have played his injury has cost us plenty .Thompson should play center Bunty into second row.

Reactions: 2 users
Shaun proved something me in that match - he really just doesn't understand league. Whether he's had that coached out of him as a result of trying to turn him into something he isnt (ie, a organizational 7) or whether he never had it in the first place, is a matter of debate - regardless, he just doesn't get it:

Early in the first half we were making huge in roads, it was extremely obvious that momentum was building strongly, we were getting close to the line, everything was primed for an attacking foray. What happened? Shaun gets his hands for the ball, and when he should have been making a move to put the defense in two minds, he slows up the entire play and gives an inside ball to Matulino who ambles it into the line, allowing the defense to reset itself, no longer on the back foot, and all momentum is lost. Infuriating. It was staggering to me that our no. 7 couldn't recognise that.

Another example was when, again, we were beginning to build momentum in the second half, we had gone into Tigers territory, and after THREE tackles Shaun puts in an absolutely nothing kick that could NEVER have given us any kind of advantage... and all momentum is wrested away from us again.

It was staggering to me. It's as if he's thinking out there, "I need to do half back kinda stuff. I know, I'll put a kick in here."

We desperately need an organizational half, because Shaun simply is not it. He doesn't get it. If we were a smart club, we would have put him at fullback years ago, best place for his skillset.

Good post. I remember yelling at the TV both those moments, it looked like he was kicking for the sake of it. Maybe a plan from the coaches? He didn't look natural the entire match.

The other point re organization, I agree to an extent, I think he can to the job of a halfback, but needs some support out there. Tommy is a catch and pass guy, Lolohea gives me nightmares trying to control a game.. It will take him all next season learning the position, let alone performing to a quality standard.. Hingano is a natural half, but still will take time..

Good post. I remember yelling at the TV both those moments, it looked like he was kicking for the sake of it. Maybe a plan from the coaches? He didn't look natural the entire match.

The other point re organization, I agree to an extent, I think he can to the job of a halfback, but needs some support out there. Tommy is a catch and pass guy, Lolohea gives me nightmares trying to control a game.. It will take him all next season learning the position, let alone performing to a quality standard.. Hingano is a natural half, but still will take time..

The thing is, whenever Shaun has copped criticism for his lack of play-making nous the rebuttal has regularly been, "Well, no half can look good behind a defeated pack." Problem with that is, especially in that first example, we were well and truly on top - we were rolling through them, and right when we needed our halfback to take over, and use that momentum to our advantage, he immediately slowed the play down... it was maddening.

To be completely truthful, I honestly believe that is a problem that has been coached into his game - the need for a half back to "calm things down", and be that measured presence out of the field, to a fault. And sure, it is important for a half to be that voice on the field... WHEN THE OCCASION CALLS FOR IT. But I'm sure the Shaun of old, in that situation, would have attacked, using the oppositions back peddling against them. To me, it seems like his instinct is being coached out of him, and it's not hard to back that up... who can forget that infamous meeting earlier this season, where Shaun Johnson and Tommy pleaded with Cappy to let them play what they see. Surely, if nothing else, that attests to the fact that they were being coached to such a rigid structure, that their natural playmaking abilities were being smothered.

We as a club need to get back to our roots. It's no coincidence that our most successful years came when we played instinctive football.

Here we go for match stats. How our team can go so far backward is beyond me
Jacob Lillyman, its about time you stood up and led the forward pack similar to below

Ps. This is the game after players all got together for a serious talk behind closed doors. I believe all players raised their hands to do a bit more/back another up
We can even see there are still players present not contributing full effort. Charlie Gubb is one of them

upload_2016-8-29_7-58-10.png

Last edited:
FB_IMG_1472426425421.jpg

They may have played like shit.

Andrew McFadden may not be our coach.

But if one things change, it's this.

We've come a long way since the days of laughing after a 60 pt flogging.

Hardest part for us fans is we still have a long way to go.

Such is life as a Warriors fan.

Reactions: 1 user
Earlier I'd wondered if we were the only team that will have missed the eight for the past five years in a row (2012-16 seasons).

Short answer is, no, we are not alone.

There are two others: the Eels, whose best was 10th in 2014, and either the Titans (whose best was 9th in 2013) or Wests Tigers (whose best was 10th in 2012). One of those is also going to miss out this year, too.

Jordan G

Here we go for match stats. How our team can go so far backward is beyond me
Jacob Lillyman, its about time you stood up and led the forward pack similar to below

Ps. This is the game after players all got together for a serious talk behind closed doors. I believe all players raised their hands to do a bit more/back another up
We can even see there are still players present not contributing full effort. Charlie Gubb is one of them

Yes, over the last month Charlie Gubb has been very disappointing, almost as if he wasn't even there o_O

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Had the "pleasure" to be sitting close to the front at the South End, out on Manu's wing. I don't think I've ever seen a player so unaware of where his opposite number was standing* - no shit, Manu had his back turned to the Tigpies winger all the time when we were defending. He never once (and that's not an exaggeration) ran backwards to get in position and keep an eye on play at the same time. Always facing our line, jogging back, never any sign of urgency except that attempt to stop the 40/20. Not the slightest bit of spark shown, which summed us up, really.

*Actually, I've seen a worse example, but that was Manu as well.

I watched a preseason game once when Todd Byrne was playing. (Meli or Manu may have been the other wing)
Todd ran the whole game. When the ball moved, he moved. When the line moved, he moved.
I know he was not the most amazing and gifted player. But he was doing "the off the ball" play we always hear about.
The other winger (and some players) were just walking back and forwards waiting for the ball.
That lazy attitude has been around since the Cleary days.

Solomone Kata getting suspended for his tackle on Jordan Rankin? The one where he put him flat on his back, wasn't even close to being in a dangerous position & didn't even warrant a penalty?!

Jesus, why can't our players just go around breaking people's jaws & backs like Ryan James with cheap shots with zero consequence and then cheat - sorry 'gamesmanship' as they call it - to get clear tries taken off the opposition team. What has cappy been teaching them all season.

Really the warriors complete basket case ...only reason we aren't wooden spooners is we have some brilliant players that now and again turn up ....
team organization(no leader) just utter shit case in point ....with around 10mins to go we get close to the tigers line ...why didn't Shaun Johnson or other leader with tigers worried about try we go for a drop goal and take are lead to 7 points ?? get the ball back put the pressure back on the tigers ....

I'd rest Shaun Johnson next game an give Ata the reigns just to see what he can offer. Wish we could bring wells an CNK in as well just to see if they've got more desire than Manu an tui. Theres no more genuine speed in the team once that tiger winger got through the line I knew nobody would get near him. I'd like to see mutts in the second row next season. We can't get rid of him cause he can't be replaced with an equal trade. Just needs to find some pride for the jersey witch the right coach should be able to restore hopefully. Top of the list is a good prop even more so than getting foran. There is sure as hell no easy fix for next year but we aren't gunna be able to recruit the problems away because nobody wants to come here

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Couldnt bring myself to come on here last night. As much as I had tried to prepare myself mentally for this result I was still quite heart broken when it eventuated. Was pretty numb and no amount of sponsors product seemed to help. Ive been excited about this season since Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Issac Luke were confirmed. To see it all fall away yesterday was truly gutting.

Wont go on about the bunker. For the record I thought the bunker was right about the Shaun Johnson try. You cant run behind a player full stop. The inconsistencies of it are another discussion. Had we have won after Manu Vatuvei foot was clearly out on the 40/20 attempt we would have put it down to the rub of the green. It has to work both ways.

Wont even discuss the game. Im over it. Its done. Nothing will change that. After a good sleep Im good to move on.

Gotta give props to the Tigers who never quit. Yelled out Mad Monday to the Tigers while the team were under the sticks after Tuimoala Lolohea's try. David Nofoaluma turned around told me to fuck up. Aaron Woods merely looked at me and shrugged his shoulders with a look of disappointment. After the Mitchell Moses try Woods came back and shrugged his shoulders with a smile. Well played Woodsy lol. He was out there for at a half hour after the game signing autographs and taking pics. The guys a good role model for the game.

The Warriors on the other hand couldnt wait to get off the field. Felt for Thomas Leuluai who was bent over sobbing after the final whistle. Wouldnt have been easy knowing his NRL dream was over after giving so much to try turn it around. Wasnt until Manu Vatuvei came over to pick him up that he got up and left the field. Even when Ryan Hoffman and Cappy walked across to do the after match press conference they werent stopping for fans. Hoffmans face said it all. Definition of disappointment right there. Stayed in the members tent after the game and saw Cappy walking back to the sheds after the conference by himself in the dark. Wish I had a camera. Would have made a poignant picture. The loneliest man in the world right then.

Anyway. Still love my league. Still a Kiwi. Warriors are still the only team for me. End of the day its only a game.

Want to pass on my condolences to the Lemalu family after Ronati Lemalu was killed by the train tracks on the way to the game. Puts things in perspective to me. Hopefully the club can do something for him for the Eels game. Never nice when the WarriorNation lose a member...

14079741_1088438621232066_5425647426155132868_n.jpg

Ronati Lemalu RIP​

Reactions: 28 users
My least Favorite People in the world right now - (In no particular order)

Jordan Rankin - "Gamesmanship" my ass
Aaron Woods - Classy, but still knocked my team out so right to the top.
The fucker who was our TMO yesterday

Could not bring myself to come on here yesterday knowing the shitstorm that would be appear after the game. The boys were visibly gutted though and were on their feet. Feel for lisone and that must of sucked knowing it was your "Obstruction" that cost the try. Anyway time to pick ourselves up and send off the boys and the warrior nation out on a high. Anyways I have seen worse ends to the season by far and their is always next year.