Happy with the team named?

• Yes

• No

• Beyond caring now

• Who cares just win!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all about our pack, if our forward pack shows up we're in with a chance. Prior to the Rabbitohs capitulation our forwards were matching it with everyone but I consider the Cowboys our biggest test.

If we can contain the likes of Taumalolo, Cooper and Lowe we're in with a shot. Their back row is dangerous especially the lines and angles which they run off Thurston. Scott and Tamou will front all game hopefully Matulino has some angry pills for dinner because we're gonna need him to front big time.

So take Leuluai out when he's been playing well at five eighth? When Roache and Tevaga have been playing well at hooker in Luke's absence? Into a do or die match in a position Lolohea has very little first grade experience in?

I'm amazed that people are still harping on about this. Cappy has to make decisions that are in his best interest as well as the teams. Why on earth would he start the season with LoLo at 6, when there's a test level 5/8th at his disposal? (He was injured, but was definitely returning). People wanted TL as bench hooker after we had just signed an 80 minute hooker? Lol wtf. Now, 23 rounds in people still want LoLo to move to 6 and TL to hooker. It's madness.

This has been annoying me all week this part, so LoLo has a good debut season (nominated for rookie of the year in the FB spot), after that season, cappy was in a tough position. On one hand, he could've moved Tui to NSW cup straight away to develop as 6 - but with that, comes all the critics ripping into him, "tui should be in first grade playing centre or wing blah blah blah" - and after tui's impressive debut season, how could he leave him out? Those saying Tui has been moved from pillar to post - no he hasn't. He's played fullback for the most part this year, and a few games on the wing + like 15mins in the halves. Fusitua has played more positions this year. Tui's poor form is on him.

Ok that's my rant for the week.

We couldn't get the Cowboys at worse time. This game could get ugly for us. Away in Nth Qld late in season, will be hot. Thruston smarting from a avg performance, Cowboys needing to get there season back on track for the finals. Nothing smells good about this....so we should win by overs.

• Haha
Reactions: mt.wellington
We couldn't get the Cowboys at worse time. This game could get ugly for us. Away in Nth Qld late in season, will be hot. Thruston smarting from a avg performance, Cowboys needing to get there season back on track for the finals. Nothing smells good about this....so we should win by overs.

We came within 4 points last year in April... Absolutely stinking hot that time of year. I'm giving the boys every chance. If they do their roles effectively, we can topple them. Big ask though.

Reactions: MurrayTD
This has been annoying me all week this part, so LoLo has a good debut season (nominated for rookie of the year in the FB spot), after that season, cappy was in a tough position. On one hand, he could've moved Tui to NSW cup straight away to develop as 6 - but with that, comes all the critics ripping into him, "tui should be in first grade playing centre or wing blah blah blah" - and after tui's impressive debut season, how could he leave him out? Those saying Tui has been moved from pillar to post - no he hasn't. He's played fullback for the most part this year, and a few games on the wing + like 15mins in the halves. Fusitua has played more positions this year. Tui's poor form is on him.

I agree particularly the last comment.During that game against the Rabbits in the space of a minute and a half Tui fell off a tackle which led directly to a try,he then kicked out on the full and from the ensuing set the Rabbits kicked through and he was not in position again and they scored.He should have been hooked right there and then.Against the Titans his pathetic attempt led to that late try by Anthony Don and if it wasn't for a late forward pass call they could have scored and we might have easily lost.
WEAK DEFENCE CHANGES MOMENTUM.......that is what we saw last week.
There was also a "highlight" on telly this week ( a game from earlier on) when somebody beat a couple of forwards and Tui was the last line of defence and he looked like he was tied to the goalpost.It was so bad Tui had to get out of the guys way so he could score.This is not good......he is not prepared to put his body on the line at the moment and I don't care how good he is with the ball but if he doesn't improve there will be no career for him longer term at the Warriors or anywhere else for that matter.
All of a sudden he is being found out.Tui needs to be very careful about not becoming Carlos Tuimavave edition 2.
Tui it's on you ....do you have the courage?.....At the moment you don't.

Last edited:
I agree particularly the last comment.During that game against the Rabbits in the space of a minute and a half Tui fell off a tackle which led directly to a try,he then kicked out on the full and from the ensuing set the Rabbits kicked through and he was not in position again and they scored.He should have been hooked right there and then.His pathetic attempt led to that late try by Anthony Don and if it wasn't for a late forward pass call they could have scored and we might have easily lost.
WEAK DEFENCE CHANGES MOMENTUM.......that is what we saw last week.
There was also a "highlight" on telly this week ( a game from earlier on) when somebody beat a couple of forwards and Tui was the last line of defence and he looked like he was tied to the goalpost.It was so bad Tui had to get out of the guys way so he could score.This is not good......he is not prepared to put his body on the line at the moment and I don't care how good he is with the ball but if he doesn't improve there will be no career for him longer term at the Warriors or anywhere else for that matter.
All of a sudden he is being found out.Tui needs to be very careful about not becoming Carlos Tuimavave edition 2.
Tui it's on you ....do you have the courage?.....At the moment you don't.

Not going to turn this into a Tui discussion, but yeah I agree. I watched those moments from last week again and cappy made the right call to hook him. IMO he should've been axed weeks ago, but cappy gave him the benefit of the doubt + wouldn't have wanted to disrupt the team too much. Moving Fusitua from centre is something he probably didn't want to do, but Tui's poor form couldn't be ignored any longer.

Paul Kent made some good comments on 360 last night about the Warriors generally doing better when they have a hard nosed - no nonsense - no shit taking player in the side. I have to agree. Campion, Price, Luck & Maloney. Arguably our best seasons have come with guys who have that fear-factor about them. Not fear factor like being a scary dude, I mean fear of screwing up... Maloney could be an angry guy on the field and nobody wanted to screw up a play that he started. I'm probably not explaining this the best way, but that's the way I see it. We currently don't have anyone in the side who can command that sort of fear from their own players. Hoffman gets close but I can't help but feel that some of the guys may see him as that annoying older guy who won't shut up. He doesn't have that same aura and respect of the others I listed. Then there's Shaun Johnson, the guys definitely respect him, but in more of a 'he's a cool guy and good player" kind of way. He doesn't command that respect either. Hence why I think Foran will benefit us. Ok I went off topic whoops

Reactions: eudebrito
We have got some problems with combinations with the backline at the moment. We have a right centre whose strength is distribution combining with a winger whose weaknesses are pace and finishing. Ayshfords performances have gone backwards since we have put Maumalo on the right wing.

Kata was scoring a try a game with Robson but other than intercepts has slowed down with Leuluai. Meanwhile Manu waits and hopes for a decent pass from Kata. Forward domination and Shaun Johnson magic will be needed on Saturday.

We have got some problems with combinations with the backline at the moment. We have a right centre whose strength is distribution combining with a winger whose weaknesses are pace and finishing. Ayshfords performances have gone backwards since we have put Maumalo on the right wing.

Kata was scoring a try a game with Robson but other than intercepts has slowed down with Leuluai. Meanwhile Manu waits and hopes for a decent pass from Kata. Forward domination and Shaun Johnson magic will be needed on Saturday.

Hard to blame Ayshford for his performances when he's been benched for the last 3 games. He's got his chance to show what's he's made of this weekend. That being said, I have the feeling there's a chance he could be completely and utterly destroyed by that Cowboys left hand edge. That's the edge JT runs with Cooper running as his lead runner to free up space for the outsides. If Thompson and Shaun Johnson push in to take Cooper - watch out on the outside IMO. I don't know that Ayshford and Maumalo will be able to handle the defensive challenges the Cowboys will be throwing at them.

Ayshford played 2 games at centre with Maumalo outside him. Since then Fusitua's been at right centre.

But logically, it makes sense for Ayshford's performances to be worse with Maumalo on the wing than Fusitua - because both Ayshford and Maumalo are slower and to turn and get back up to speed will take longer. Neither of them is a great tackler IMO.

ToiletDuck

Administrator
I think this game will give an idea as to whether the boys are already planning their mad Monday costumes or not. If this side still has the belief and the desire then they will come out and play for 80 mins, win or lose, and it'll be close. Though we've seen in the past several years at this stage of the season when their backs are against the wall, the white flag goes up 20 mins into the first half of these sort of games and that's that. I will be really interested to see whether they're up for it. My gut is telling me that once the crowd and the refs combine to have a couple of 50/50 calls go against us....heads will go down and they will roll over, and that'll be the season.

Not going to turn this into a Tui discussion, but yeah I agree. I watched those moments from last week again and cappy made the right call to hook him. IMO he should've been axed weeks ago, but cappy gave him the benefit of the doubt + wouldn't have wanted to disrupt the team too much. Moving Fusitua from centre is something he probably didn't want to do, but Tui's poor form couldn't be ignored any longer.

Paul Kent made some good comments on 360 last night about the Warriors generally doing better when they have a hard nosed - no nonsense - no shit taking player in the side. I have to agree. Campion, Price, Luck & Maloney. Arguably our best seasons have come with guys who have that fear-factor about them. Not fear factor like being a scary dude, I mean fear of screwing up... Maloney could be an angry guy on the field and nobody wanted to screw up a play that he started. I'm probably not explaining this the best way, but that's the way I see it. We currently don't have anyone in the side who can command that sort of fear from their own players. Hoffman gets close but I can't help but feel that some of the guys may see him as that annoying older guy who won't shut up. He doesn't have that same aura and respect of the others I listed. Then there's Shaun Johnson, the guys definitely respect him, but in more of a 'he's a cool guy and good player" kind of way. He doesn't command that respect either. Hence why I think Foran will benefit us. Ok I went off topic whoops

I'm hearing you and you explained it well, at the risk of bringing his name up I agree Foran is that type of player also, I think Kent may have been angling that way with his comments.

The Nrl Schick preview has us beating the Cows by 7 points interestingly the match up was written by their own North Queensland correspondent Steven Ross‌, things must be grim up there.

Last edited:
Don't think the Cowboys will come out as fired up as people think, they are in a mental slump similar to the Bunnies last year and they never recovered. Last year they had an edge to them that was built by the fact they had never won a premiership, were close in winning one and several years where they would come close to pushing through to the GF but did't quite make it. This year they have none of that so if they have lost focus or are flat, I think finding top form will be a little bit harder. I think the Cowboys will start well, but may fall away a bit as it progresses, exactly like last week. No doubt it will be a tough challenge, we still need to play really well, but I would like to think we will play with a edge, a point to prove that we still are worthy even after last week. Pressuring JT, muscling up in the middle and accuracy and timing in set plays are important. If we can do this for most of the match we can definitely in this game, but we have to force it, not just think things will happen like we did against South Sydney.

Jordan G

Don't think the Cowboys will come out as fired up as people think, they are in a mental slump similar to the Bunnies last year and they never recovered. Last year they had an edge to them that was built by the fact they had never won a premiership, were close in winning one and several years where they would come close to pushing through to the GF but did't quite make it. This year they have none of that so if they have lost focus or are flat, I think finding top form will be a little bit harder. I think the Cowboys will start well, but may fall away a bit as it progresses, exactly like last week. No doubt it will be a tough challenge, we still need to play really well, but I would like to think we will play with a edge, a point to prove that we still are worthy even after last week. Pressuring JT, muscling up in the middle and accuracy and timing in set plays are important. If we can do this for most of the match we can definitely in this game, but we have to force it, not just think things will happen like we did against South Sydney.

Was just thinking last week how similar the Cowboys season was going compared to the Bunnies last year. Premiers, WCC winner, started the season looking like they hadn't lost a step, and then towards the back end of the season the hunger just didn't seem to be there.

Still think they'll win at home, but they don't look as big a threat for the premiership this year.

ToiletDuck

Administrator
Was just thinking last week how similar the Cowboys season was going compared to the Bunnies last year. Premiers, WCC winner, started the season looking like they hadn't lost a step, and then towards the back end of the season the hunger just didn't seem to be there.

Still think they'll win at home, but they don't look as big a threat for the premiership this year.

JT doesn't look 100%. Which isn't surprising, initial report with his hamstring was a month, then he's a 'maybe' the following week all of a sudden, then a late inclusion the following week. I have no doubt that at his age and with an injury like that, that it'll take a bit of time to come right. Watching him last week, he didn't look like his usual self. He'll be better this week, but even then he won't need to play out of his skin to steer his side to a win over us. Percentage football with a smart kicking game should be enough.

Hard to blame Ayshford for his performances when he's been benched for the last 3 games. He's got his chance to show what's he's made of this weekend. That being said, I have the feeling there's a chance he could be completely and utterly destroyed by that Cowboys left hand edge. That's the edge JT runs with Cooper running as his lead runner to free up space for the outsides. If Thompson and Shaun Johnson push in to take Cooper - watch out on the outside IMO. I don't know that Ayshford and Maumalo will be able to handle the defensive challenges the Cowboys will be throwing at them.

Ayshford played 2 games at centre with Maumalo outside him. Since then Fusitua's been at right centre.

But logically, it makes sense for Ayshford's performances to be worse with Maumalo on the wing than Fusitua - because both Ayshford and Maumalo are slower and to turn and get back up to speed will take longer. Neither of them is a great tackler IMO.

I agree on the defensive front, and don't get me wrong I have been reasonably happy with Ayshford it's more a reflection that Ayshford was dropped after two games of being paired with Maumalo. With threats around Ayshford his distribution skills come in to play, but with Maumalo outside him he becomes less useful.

ToiletDuck

Administrator
So if Kata plays and is injured Tommy pushes out to center and Hingano plays five eight, interesting.

I dunno. I think if Hingano plays he'll replace Tevaga or Roache, likely Roache, as Cappy has played Tevaga for big minutes before. I'm assuming he will bring him on in the halves and TL will shift to dummy half or even somewhere in the backrow, as has happened before also. That's an educated guess...would be an interesting game to debut Hingano, away to the Cowboys..

Reactions: Defence
Status
Not open for further replies.