• Yes

• Its OK

• Bench is wack!

• No

• Who cares just win

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yep i've been thinking that too......i'd like to have Bunty as well...just for that extra muscle....but always been a fan of cappy....even though a lot of fans are'nt....we're going well...i think these g/p games have strengthened our resolve...lol well i hope so...cheers
Welcome to the mad house.

I've spent many hours contemplating why Cappy has a back on the bench.

Yesterday while I was out fishing the answer came to me.

Defence.

This is how I got there.

Go back to the 1st time the Warriors carried a back on the bench.

Dominique Peroux was carried on the bench to come on a d defend.

That anomaly was created by Lazy man Hurrell.

What that experiment revealed is that in a side that has a tight eighty minute middle third , the Warriors lose by virtue of their leaky edges.

When the opposition attack us our edge players are somewhat assisted by our tacklebot backrow (minders create lazy mindee's). Even so.....our backs are used to carry the offensive workload of our forwards in our own half.

That donkey work tax's our backs like it tax's every other teams forwards.

This is why we see our edges leak when the side is on the Blackfoot.

McFadden is wathing the defence of our backs in games and waiting till they show signs of flagging....he is treating them like the traditional management of forward packs....carrying a bench player to make some tackles at right time.

To paraphrase Cappy after the Manly game where Lolohea sat on the bench till the 82nd minute ' we were waiting for the right time to use him, our team was going well so we waited till he was needed'

Most of us looked at that plan from an attacking POV.

Nah man, its about having a fresh tackler out there for our backline that gets used as forwards.

The injury cover theory just didn't quite make sense to me. There is also the obvious injection of a speedy player when opposition defence shows signs of tiring.

bruce

Contributor

Defence.

This is how I got there.

What that experiment revealed is that in a side that has a tight eighty minute middle third , the Warriors lose by virtue of their leaky edges.

When the opposition attack us our edge players are somewhat assisted by our tacklebot backrow (minders create lazy mindee's). Even so.....our backs are used to carry the offensive workload of our forwards in our own half.

McFadden is wathing the defence of our backs in games and waiting till they show signs of flagging....he is treating them like the traditional management of forward packs....carrying a bench player to make some tackles at right time.

To paraphrase Cappy after the Manly game where Lolohea sat on the bench till the 82nd minute ' we were waiting for the right time to use him, our team was going well so we waited till he was needed'

Nah man, its about having a fresh tackler out there for our backline that gets used as forwards.

The injury cover theory just didn't quite make sense to me. There is also the obvious injection of a speedy player when opposition defence shows signs of tiring.
Ayshford is a defensive organiser as well. I was just thinking, can anybody tell me who is a dud in this team at the moment? OK we have a couple overpaid but apart from that they all put in the effort on Sunday. Teams cannot defend like that unless they all put the effort in.

ToiletDuck

Administrator
Ayshford's inclusion is simply down to the fact that Cappy likes having a back option on the bench. Why he insists on it, I'm not sure. I can only assume it's because there's enough of an injury cloud over someone (?Manu) that he believes it's justified. If that back gets used I think cappy views this as a bonus. I suspect his rationale is that other teams carry 1-2 backrowers on their benches, but his side has 3 X 80 min backrowers and hence has the luxury of sacrificing that bench spot with a back he may or may not use.

I only come to that conclusion because he's done it with various players...Wright, Tui, Ayshford. None of them were/are demanding a spot in the 17, they're simply the next best back (in Cappy's mind) that isn't in the starting 13. Hence he includes them, as he likes a back on the bench regardless of who it is.

I expect Ayshford to be in the 17 again on the weekend. He will again likely come on at prop late in the game. Probably not much point continuing to question why, there's never been a really convincing answer. As long as we win I don't really mind.

Can't really fault team selections when the team is winning. Best way to silence critics is to win. Stoked with team selections lately and the continuity just breeds that confidence and familiarity.

Ayshford there in a utility role.. big body can handle the confrontations and versatile enough to play back row he can do a tidy up job in the middle. Probably playing Gubb's middle of the field role. Bunty can play a similar role. Good to have options but Ayshford won't let you down off the bench.

Does anyone else get the sense this team is timing their run well? There's something about this team, can always tell by the defence more then attack. Showing a lot of stuff I haven't seen before, nobody dropping heads after mistakes or when conceding tries it's straight back to business. Patience, composure, set moves, discipline, we're seeing it consistently.

Those golden point losses would've instilled a real steely resolve in these guys, losses yes but you learn to look deep within in those instances and this team hasn't dropped their bundle they've learnt from those games. This team seems thirsty for footy, there's real intent there, there's effort and commitment. Can't help but back that, it's what we've been crying out for as fans. A team with heart and pride for the jersey.

Defence.

This is how I got there.

Dude, I think you've spent way to many hours contemplating this subject maybe... here's my thoughts on the matter

Cast your mind back to round 2 vs The Broncos at Suncorp. We were matching them, in the grind and at some stages getting the better of the Broncos.
Then Bang! Manu picks up a rib injury then Blake is off with concussion taking us down to 2 left on the bench.
This is when we lost our shape completely and the Broncos put on 2 quick tries effectively ending our battle.
I think Kata went to wing , Roache come on to Centre, then RTM come on when Blake went off.

Then we move onto round 4 vs Knights Cappy puts Konrad on the bench for the next 3 games, yes Konrad as back cover.
Then TL returns from injury vs Manly so both Thomas and Konrad were on the bench for that round.

Round 7 vs Dogs Thomas is on the bench , Lolo is put in at 6 but this is the game Roger Tuivasa-Sheck picks up his injury. Tui gets moved to fullback Thomas comes on at 6.
We were still able to win that game even though Roger Tuivasa-Sheck went off because with Thomas on the bench we were still able to keep our structure.

Round 8 he has Jonathan Wright on the bench, now you can't tell me he's on the bench for impact!
He's had Matt Allwood on the bench before the introduction of Jazz / Roache rotation. So for a period before the Sharkies GP game he did have an all forward Bench.
Then he's got Tui on the bench for the Sharkies game, then Blake blah blah blah

Personally if you do the maths I agree with his theory that you don't need all forwards on the bench. However, for this weekend, I'm agreeing with those that would rather have Afoa on the bench against the Bunnies forward pack.
That would make a hell of alot more sense then having Blake there for this game.
Also as with Wright I doubt your gonna get much impact from Blake coming off the bench as we saw vs the Titans. I wouldn't complain though if a back went down injured and Blake was on the bench as a replacement. Maybe he is selecting bench on a game by game basis.

I don't recall it being a talking point prior to this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: eudebrito
Ayshford's inclusion is simply down to the fact that Cappy likes having a back option on the bench. Why he insists on it, I'm not sure. I can only assume it's because there's enough of an injury cloud over someone (?Manu) that he believes it's justified. If that back gets used I think Cappy views this as a bonus.
A lot of injury details come out at the end of the year either due to players needing surgery, not being available for rep selection, or coaching staff mentioning while discussing issues with the previous season. The injuries could be hidden during the season either as they aren't serious enough to mention at the time or they want to keep them in house so they don't get reported and the players targeted.

We may hear more post season. Or they may keep it under raps and we are discussing the same thing this time next year.

It could be case like we have heard of wanting cover. We hear that a lot of the players are usually no where near 100% during the season and we did have quite a few injuries to outside backs at the start of the year before they started selecting an outside back on the bench.

As long as we win I'll be happy enough to leave my pitch fork in the cupboard.

For me to start feeling alot more confident about this season, I want to see us wipe the park here this weekend. Most of our games all season have been tight, with either us or the other side letting the other stay in the game.

A 20+ win over the underperforming Bunnies would bloody good for our confidence. The Cowboys have dropped off a bit in the last month or so, a win over there would get the Aussies calling us the "dark horse" of the comp. Well, more than they normally do.

Inruin

Contributor
I don't actually care about the final score. As long as we win and keep the Bunnies down to low teens or below score. That would mean our defence is continuing to stay solid, which is what we need in the run up to and in the finals.

it would be nice to put on a big score but our defence should be the priority first

Even though Souths have had a crap year, they're still a threat this week. Any team with Inglis, Sutton, Burgess x 3 and Reynolds will be a handful...is a potential banana skin match for us because if we clock off they could punish us big time. They pushed the Storm at home last week, im guessing they're gunna be up for this one too.

Warriors v Rabbitohs: Schick Preview

How we see it: The confidence levels of these two sides must almost sit at opposite ends of the scale, with the Warriors enjoying back-to-back victories and having not lost a game in regular time since Round 11. The Rabbitohs on the other hand have gone down in nine straight and face a daunting trip across the Tasman. Expect Souths to build off last week and perform well, but the Warriors to be too good. Warriors by 16.

Never thought i'd see such a prediction from NRL.com against the Bunnies
Not that it should be taken as gospel but still!
I'm picking Warriors by 13+ but happy to win ugly or in GP..

Reactions: bruce
i think we'll win convincingly. Souths are disjointed and confidence is slow. They lack strength in the spine and the forwards overall arent playing to potential. considering our current form we should win. my prediction with the kicking problems is 26-12 to the warriors. With 3/5 kicking.

Going to be cold and wet on Saturday night. If it was a dry track I could see us winning well. The wet conditions will most likely mean we wont be able to be as expansive as we would like so I'm picking its going to be closer than most would think

Reactions: eudebrito
Ayshford is a defensive organiser as well. I was just thinking, can anybody tell me who is a dud in this team at the moment? OK we have a couple overpaid but apart from that they all put in the effort on Sunday. Teams cannot defend like that unless they all put the effort in.

Not a dud but I do want to see more from Lisone, I really want him to step up and demand a starting role as a line breaking offloader on the edge.
Lolohea is bordering on being a dud fullback, if it was Wrght on there making those mistakes it woulda been a lynch mob on here, Lolohea is lucky people see promise in him and want to persevere but needs to do something to justify that quick.

Zero chance I'm falling under the impression that we're going to get this easy...

Have you all forgotten who we are supporting? This is EXACTLY the kind of game that we lose, against an opposition that's playing well below expectations, but still with plenty of world class players...

This game makes or breaks our season - we get this and we surely win one of Eels or Tigers at home.

bruce

Contributor
Going to be cold and wet on Saturday night. If it was a dry track I could see us winning well. The wet conditions will most likely mean we wont be able to be as expansive as we would like so I'm picking its going to be closer than most would think
Colder and wetter the better. Make them really homesick.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Zero chance I'm falling under the impression that we're going to get this easy...

Have you all forgotten who we are supporting? This is EXACTLY the kind of game that we lose, against an opposition that's playing well below expectations, but still with plenty of world class players...

This game makes or breaks our season - we get this and we surely win one of Eels or Tigers at home.
Sadly true mate. Warriors have never really lost that curse. Beat the best, lose to the rest.

This game makes or breaks our season in more ways than one. We likely lose touch with the top 8 and lets be honest, if we cant beat this struggling team we dont deserve to be there finals week anyway...

NRL WARvRABS.png

Status
Not open for further replies.