Will we make the top 8?

• Yes

• Possibly

• Just a matter of FAITH

• No

• Always next year

Results are only viewable after voting.

6 Again

There is a case to be made for subbing Hoffman, he'd be better for it at the back end of a game but no-one immediately put's their hand up as a suitable replacement.

With a bit more gas in the tank he could turn those half breaks into clean line breaks, second row is an area of recruitment we really should be looking at.

Reactions: 1 user
Trugoy

Trugoy

Tbh i thought Hoff could have made a better attempt as well in that tackle as Mansour had already run past Hoffs man, so he should have been free to put a hit on ( if you watch the front on replay it almost looks like he steps out of the way)

As you say though Vete was the main culprit here and the "front rowers club" pride would've taken a dent seeing a winger run over a prop (although Manu's been doing it for years)
Yeah Vete was more at fault but I wouldn't be too hard on either, Mansour is an animal. This guy was carrying Warriors on his back all game. That sort of strength and speed is hard to stop.
It makes Sol's steal all the more outstanding because of how strong Mansour is.

Reactions: 3 users
rugged

rugged

I have been wondering for ages why we never set up attacking kicks for Fusitua on the last.... we finally did and scored off it. Of course we didn't go back to it again.

Despite some really good forced drop outs from Johnson our kicking game still needs improvement. When we are kicking from the half way Johnson stands nowhere near deep enough and it causes charge downs and puts pressure on (ie kicks into the bodies and fumbled balls). I actually like that occasionally we shift it on the last but we should not be set that flat every time

Far North Forever

I have been wondering for ages why we never set up attacking kicks for Fusitua on the last.... we finally did and scored off it. Of course we didn't go back to it again.

Despite some really good forced drop outs from Johnson our kicking game still needs improvement. When we are kicking from the half way Johnson stands nowhere near deep enough and it causes charge downs and puts pressure on (ie kicks into the bodies and fumbled balls). I actually like that occasionally we shift it on the last but we should not be set that flat every time
Problem with Shaun Johnson is he stands flat and motionless, he needs to time his connect with Luke so he is running onto the ball, I think my dad taught me that in the 70's when it was the 5 mtr rule, no way anyone charges down if he's moving 5mtrs behind and 7mtrs wide of ruck. It's so frustrating that they haven't figured it out. It also works for a drop kick but he needs to swap to the left hand side so he's kicking from left to right for right footed kicker. Geezuss give me an hour with them and I'll sort it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

I think hat they are starting to show some outstanding structures. Maumalo's try came from a scrum with Tui at half, Simon at standoff, TL, Shaun Johnson with Fusitua and Maumalo outside. There is a whole lot of options there in midfield and is the reason why Mansour was caught inside.

Due to these structures there is sense in having a back on the bench. At some point though Cappy will need power up the bench and trust our backs aren't plastic.

The commitment is there from minute one. They are working hard for each other and are staying in the grind. As has been shown for the last few weeks.

On the negative side the first thing to look at in any performance is how the fundamental skills are executed. Passing is letting down some great attacking structures. Particularly passing too high or to the hip of support players. Too many times all momentum is lost because players have to stop their runs.

Catch the ball on the full, the back 3 are not committing to the high ball, it will burn them eventually. Along with eliminating basic missed tackles.

This team can go a long way this year........if they carry out the fundamentals. Hundreds of years of rugby codes and that has been a constant for consistent success.

Reactions: 2 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
However my biggest gripe with extra time field goals is the offside markers never getting penalized. Its absolutely farcical.
I would not bet on golden point surviving, just wait for one of the "connected" clubs like Manly or the Broncos to cop it like the Warriors have this season.
As you say though Vete was the main culprit here and the "front rowers club" pride would've taken a dent seeing a winger run over a prop (although Manu's been doing it for years)
Josh Mansour has run through plenty of players, he is the Kangaroo winger after all, but I agree Vete will be sour about it.

Xfactor

maybe I'm totally biased but the refs let Penrith wrestle us so much more, as soon as we tackled them
To the ground the refs are just screaming for us to release them,
Bro the cu**s were screaming at our boys to get off before the player had hit the ground!

Fucken sick to death of the biased inconsistent shit we are dealt.

Reactions: 3 users

Far North Forever

Just watched the vid on the NZ Herald site showing how they weren't square at marker and then Latu was standing in front of the ref by 5 mths, for sure those 2 bitches get reserve grade this week.

Xfactor

The Trouble with Mutts is although he is good contributor and plays well he is way too passive at prop to have any influence on the oppositions psyche, whereas Vete and Gavet will have a crack and even target players.
I don't expect anybody to pretend to be something they're not, but that baby-face of Bens ain't scaring nobody.

Mongrel up Matulino:mad:

Boats n Hoes

Boats n Hoes

Josh Mansour has run through plenty of players, he is the Kangaroo winger after all, but I agree Vete will be sour about it.

Oh no doubt. Mansour is leading the comp in tackle busts I think (although it's still a tackle you'd want your front rower to make). I was more commenting on that I felt Vete was probably entitled more of a helping hand from Hoffman in that tackle.

Just on Mansour he reminds a bit of Michael Hancock, not tall but extremely powerful up top with that ability to bump out of tackles.

dazlendazle

There was a game, i think it was the sharks game, one player was questionable for injury, anyway they subbed him off, and that saved an extra sub, which in my thinking is a very cunning tactic, welcome to soccer boys!

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

There was a game, i think it was the sharks game, one player was questionable for injury, anyway they subbed him off, and that saved an extra sub, which in my thinking is a very cunning tactic, welcome to soccer boys!

You don't get an extra substitution due to injury or foul play in soccer.

When a soccer player dives it is to try and get a free kick or penalty. When they writhe around like they've been shot they are trying to get the opposing player booked or sent off.

davewjnz

davewjnz

Well since field goals were such a topic in this thread , here's last nights stats for the Titans Sharkies Game.

10 – The number of missed field goals last night. Ash Taylor was responsible for half of those, while James Maloney (three), and Ben Barba and Chad Townsend (one each) couldn't convert for the visitors.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Miket12

Miket12

I think that was more about last night tbh, 10 missed field goals is not a good watch and the fact that everyone is offside makes it so much worse.
Thinking out side the box - all field goal attempts get reviewed by the Bunker who are given the power to award penalties and sin bin the offending players - and watch the amount of offside players remarkably decrease.

Also, get rid of golden point and if one team scores, the other team gets five more tackles to either match the score or better it. Team A scores a field goal and the Team B need to score a try or a penalty to win in the next set.

ryno

ryno

On golden point why not just use it for elimination games, have an extra 10 minutes, if the scores are tied after the extra 10 minutes then go to golden point.