minute

Did Cappy utilise the bench properly?

• Yes

• Not bad

• Could have done better

• NO

• Bench selection was wrong from the start

Results are only viewable after voting.
While we're on the subject of pathetic tackle efforts, what the hell was Issac Luke trying to do when BJ Leilua scored? Anyone else notice?

Also, surely Kearney has Jordan Rapana marked down as first winger named for the Kiwi's? Be nuts if he hasn't.

Reactions: 2 users
While we're on the subject of pathetic tackle efforts, what the hell was Issac Luke trying to do when BJ Leilua scored? Anyone else notice?

Also, surely Kearney has Jordan Rapana marked down as first winger named for the Kiwi's? Be nuts if he hasn't.

Surely Manu is first choice? ;)

And knowing Kearney, Nightingale will be there or thereabouts...

I don't think Manu has the speed anymore, Nightingale is slowing down too, but he has genuine guts and brains. I agree Rapana is the rising star.

I was stirring re: Manu. Nightingale might be in the mix, doubt Manu will be.

Tonnes of options but Rapana should be near the top. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak will likely be in the mix too. Beale, Kahu, SKD, Kata, Lolohea, Feki, Hiku will likely round out the outside backs (maybe not Beale, but he has been in good form)

I was stirring re: Manu. Nightingale might be in the mix, doubt Manu will be.

Tonnes of options but Rapana should be near the top. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak will likely be in the mix too. Beale, Kahu, SKD, Kata, Lolohea, Feki, Hiku will likely round out the outside backs (maybe not Beale, but he has been in good form)
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is overrated at this point however I'm sure that will change in time. Fusitua shits all over the likes of Hiku, Beale and Kahu

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Yep, that was shithouse. He was too busy looking for someone else in the defensive line to fill the void instead of looking at BJ and trying to get in front of him. Soft try pissed me right off!

Reactions: 1 users
I really think Feki will be first winger picked. If the Sharks fire all the way this year he'll be in perfect the position to claim the spot.
Couldn't argue either, his form is great.

Reactions: 1 user
My planet, Hiku is the best of the 3 names I mentioned (Beale is dreadful) however Fusitua is gradually developing into a special player whose ceiling is significantly higher than Hiku's (in my opinion)

I actually quite rate Beale (I know our differences on centre are often diverse). He's been through a couple of patches of horrible form, but I watched him play for the kiwis a few years back where he was marking Hodges or Inglis (I forget which one it was), and he completely controlled them on defence, and is very under-rated on attack too. He's been playing well for the sharks in recent weeks.

But honestly, I don't think he'll make the side - he's been on the outer for awhile.

I agree in that Fusitua's ceiling might be significantly higher than Hiku's but Hiku is more experienced and less likely to let you down, and more importantly for test footy - is a significantly better defender than Fusitua! Also - test footy is not where you develop players. Test footy is where players go when they are at close to their peak. This seems to be something Kearney has forgotten though... with his pet projects over the years...

Last edited:
I actually quite rate Beale (I know our differences on centre are often diverse). He's been through a couple of patches of horrible form, but I watched him play for the kiwis a few years back where he was marking Hodges or Inglis (I forget which one it was), and he completely controlled them on defence, and is very under-rated on attack too. He's been playing well for the sharks in recent weeks.

But honestly, I don't think he'll make the side - he's been on the outer for awhile.

I agree in that Fusitua's ceiling might be significantly higher than Hiku's but Hiku is more experienced and less likely to let you down, and more importantly for test footy - is a significantly better defender than Fusitua! Also - test footy is not where you develop players. Test footy is where players go when they are at close to their peak. This seems to be something Kearney has forgotten though... with his pet projects over the years...
Yeah look I would be considering Fusitua for wing in the Kiwis side, not centre. Ideally both Lolohea and Fusitua would be requiring a very solid offseason focused on defensive structures etc before either played centre even at NRL level. However both are going to very high quality players for the Warriors in the years ahead - hopefully for next year at least in jersey numbers 6 and 3.

Not bad for a bloke who has never been up to NRL level (according to someone on here that is PAID to give an opinion). But who really cares when we have Ayshford.
One game doesn't make a swallow. Let's see how it all plays out. Krisnan Inu went well for a few weeks at the Dogs after he left here too. Didn't work out so well later on.

People that are asked politely by Doyle to provide an opinion that appeases him and controls the masses
Are you serious? I gave it to Doyle for standing the pill popping Warriors down from Kiwis duty. That exceeds Doyle's jurisdiction even if it is the right outcome he had no right to do that. I'm not mouthpiece for the Warriors at all. Just remember I was cheering Luke's sideline kick to miss at the weekend.

That's why I stopped replying to blowhards that think they know better then everyone else.
Then why post here at all? That describes pretty much all of us. Kinda the point of forums isn't it?
Let me say this once again in case people don't follow - my opinion is no better than Mr Brownstone's or anyone else on here. It is just an opinion. I'll argue my points strongly but it doesn't make them better than others.
Whether I'm right or wrong depends entirely on your own perspective.

Reactions: 3 users
Then why post here at all? That describes pretty much all of us. Kinda the point of forums isn't it?
Let me say this once again in case people don't follow - my opinion is no better than Mr Brownstone's or anyone else on here. It is just an opinion. I'll argue my points strongly but it doesn't make them better than others.
Whether I'm right or wrong depends entirely on your own perspective.

Just to stir the pot slightly here...

I completely disagree with your last line! whether you're right or wrong on a particular subject on a completely subjective forum depends entirely on YOUR perspective... My perspective tells me if I think you're right or wrong, but yours tells you whether you're right or wrong ;)

(sorry I couldn't resist stirring that pot)...

From my perspective (and this isn't a stab at you Play The Ball at all), rugby league journalism in NZ is on average quite poor. I enjoy reading your pieces as you obviously care a lot more about the game than some of the journalists who cover league because they have to, not because they want to. What I do appreciate is the different angles and insights you bring to your pieces, and to this forum (and I'm not sucking up here either before anyone responds in the typical manner). I don't think there are any two people on this forum who agree with 100% of each other's opinions (well except Jonno and his multiple accounts). Most long term posters here have some points I agree with and several I disagree with.

One thing I do dislike about this forum from time to time (often after a loss) is when the comments get personal... I try to keep my pieces calm and rational (mostly - I vent sometimes), and I find myself deleting or not posting responses frequently in the weeks after losses because they just don't add any value to the threads (i.e. they typically are responses to the personal insults that get thrown around).

Come on everyone, let's keep it clean and play hard and fair (not like the salary cap rules).

Reactions: 4 users
Are you serious? I gave it to Doyle for standing the pill popping Warriors down from Kiwis duty. That exceeds Doyle's jurisdiction even if it is the right outcome he had no right to do that. I'm not mouthpiece for the Warriors at all. Just remember I was cheering Luke's sideline kick to miss at the weekend.
And to be fair you were also negative (and in my opinion rightly so) on Hoffman's appointment as captain. However I genuinely can't recall you ever disagreeing with a player trade or team selection (beyond the captaincy). Robson, Ayshford, Hurrell, Tui, geez even recently Manu and Ken playing wing when earlier in the year you were writing Manu off. And just on Hurrell, I'm actually giving you some credit as being a lot smarter than what the suggestion that he's 'never been NRL quality' would indicate.

And to be fair you were also negative (and in my opinion rightly so) on Hoffman's appointment as captain. However I genuinely can't recall you ever disagreeing with a player trade or team selection (beyond the captaincy). Robson, Ayshford, Hurrell, Tui, geez even recently Manu and Ken playing wing when earlier in the year you were writing Manu off. And just on Hurrell, I'm actually giving you some credit as being a lot smarter than what the suggestion that he's 'never been NRL quality' would indicate.
I was wrong with Robson. I liked the signing at the time but he was totally past it and made the very errors I hoped he wouldn't commit. I actually like the idea of the Warriors doing something similar but hopefully find a player that does fulfill that role in the way i hoped Robson would. I still think the Ayshford signing was a good one. He is getting peanuts and, assuming they get a new starting centre next season, will be a handy back-up in the bottom end of the 25 as per his salary. I have no clue as to where best to play Tui - it changes week to week depending on who else is playing well or playing poorly. I totally disagree with the club that he is the first choice 6 next season and have been quite vocal about it. I accepted the call to have Manu and Ken play in the pouring rain against Manly but have been saying all season and continue to say they should try offload him for next season. I maintain my opinion on Hurrell - not good enough to be a consistent first grade player. My guess is he will not be a starter for the Titans next season but time will tell.
I'm not 100% sold on McFadden as coach. I actually said at the start of the season if they were thinking of giving him a limit of getting the side playing to a certain level (ie round 7, round 12 etc) then they should make the change straight away. No point doing that now so they might as well go with him. I don't care about the wins/losses between now and season's end - his job should hang on the way the side is playing. If some of the short-comings are being improved etc then I'd be comfy with him having the role next season. If this year goes like the last couple of years and they revert to poor effort, defensive shockers etc then I would support a change in coach. He has shown some character this year and I've been impressed with that. The other obvious thing to consider is who a replacement might be? Depending on who is available will influence my opinion on him staying or going.
Most certainly no cheerleader here. Most of the criticism I get is from Warriors fans saying I'm too hard on them.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think PTB ever comes across the way you are trying to paint him. His point was that everyone is entitled to an opinion, how you interpret that as being stuck up I am unsure.

Last edited by a moderator: