Team List NRL 2016 Round 19 - Manly vs Warriors TEAM LIST

Game Information

01 Jan 1970 12:00PM

# Player Player #

Are you happy with the team travelling all the way to Perth?

• Yes

• Dont care

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sup42

Sup42

How do we deal with their rushing defence that drives our players backwards ?

Will we be tempted to offload the ball ?

Even Manu can't set up a roll on from his hit ups against these guys. But he does get a respectable PTB (by then its tackle two and Manu's pushing shit up hill

You can see what we're trying to do with these big backs, it's never worked against Manly before, they almost never lose the Wrestle against us.

I'll be interested to see whether throwing more of the same recipe changes things or whether we will be out strategized.

This is where having true Props who are exponents of the quick ptb and run low and straight (Sam Moa, James Graham, Sam Rapira) set a platform right through the meat of that type of defence. All small props....no glory hunters...no skip step and late footwork....no fancy offload.

History wpuld suggest You can't use Giant battering rams to go through those Gang tackles, its physics....three on one and less time to wind up.

A quick ptb from an up the guts nugetty prop gives Luke the extra second to draw and pass wide of that Wall.

Lillyman has such a big role to play.

Post Origin and travel affected, the dude needs to dig deep and go straight and low, run eight metres at the middle like he does for his Rep mates, let Manu/Maumalo take the glory metres steaming up from deep onto a Luke pass wide of the Compressed defence.

The other major Issue People are alluding to is the options Manly have with their Kicking game to our Wingers.

You expect Lyon and Evans will have a field day putting the ball on the ground in behind our wings, left and right options...toss a coin....kickers Paradise.

It would not surprise me to see Manly do the opposite, put the ball in the air, they like coming at the Warriors with the unexpected.

Manly have the Wood on us...they probably pose more of a threat to us than any other depleted Sydney side (e.g. the ugly scrap the Depleted chooks dragged us into).

The only way to beat these guys is to survive and expect things like possession and territory to not go our way.

We will be fighting off the ropes lots...Manly are the best at dominating the centre of the ring and pushing the Warriors backwards.

Back up mistakes and penalties against us with effort on effort....otherwise We will fade late as Manly come down the home straight with more gas in the tank.

If Manly can't open us up with extended periods of dominance....the psych game they play on us will be ours.

I think the Warrior game plan Manly would struggle with most....is the one where the Warriors dig in and are patient, composed, and well paced for fitness.

If they play tough off the ball like they did against the Sharks they'll blow Manly off the park.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

the borg

Hmm.. The Perth curse.. I dont think it matters who we play or what team we take..

The bottom line is we dont travel well .. just across the ditch seems ok.

But 8 hrs on a plane.. then play in the heat ... history says its not looking good..

The Warriors tend to get fatigued in 2nd half quickly over there and drop off ...But then again miracles do happen now and then.. hope 1 happens 4 us this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Dixpat

Dixpat

All in the Brown stuff!
Contributor
This is currently our strongest available team - I'm happy with it & confident that they can do the job.
How can it be - there is no Jono Wright!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
eric

eric

How can it be - there is no Jono Wright!

Heard he's carrying an injury at the moment and is close to signing a 3 yr extension with the club. Don't worry, we'll see him in full flight again soon.

• Haha
Freddie Futler

Freddie Futler

How do we deal with their rushing defence that drives our players backwards ?
I really think it is more a case of the refs only take Manly back 8-10 metres against us and also their outside backs last game were never onside and were not pinged once for it.
If the refs are fair and we are both back 10-12 metres then we should overcome them, problem is that won't happen and our boys just have to have more endurance.

Reactions: 2 users
MurrayTD

MurrayTD

Manly under strength, under pressure, must win to have any chance. Playing us, a side they have the apparent wood over, and I suspect feel that we are soft. All games are worth 2 points, but this represents a mental challenge for us, and will clearly define where we are as a threat to the title. So hoping we can we control the game, as we are the better side by a considerable margin, but we have previously shown our lack of desire, composure and technical skill in these clutch matches. We win I believe in the players, but not Cappy.

6 Again

Just trying to recall, have we played Manly in Perth before or is this their first road trip to sand groper country?

snake77

snake77

Meant to be colder in Perth then it is in Auckland so heat shouldn't be a factor...
And the game isn't past our bed time so it's a win, win.;)

We have knocked off a few hoodoos the last few years like away wins in Townsville, Canberra. The poor record in New Zealand away from Mt Smart. It's time for another one.

We have been going quite well the last month even pushing the current competition leaders on their home ground. A win in Perth and I'll be a lot more confident we have turned the corner from the start of the year.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Just trying to recall, have we played Manly in Perth before or is this their first road trip to sand groper country?
They have chosen us for Perth more than once and have won very time.

Sup42

Sup42

It matters who we play in Perth.

We've played two Salary cap rotting clubs in Manly and South's there.

Super sides.

It is a shame our full compliment of forwards aren't available or fully fit.
It would be interesting to have seen a fully fit Vete and Sipley go head to head for selection vs Gavet and Gubb.

Gavet has done a job for us when used, Gub is controversial.

Imagine had that Blight called Hurrell been available and in good shape.....he'd send Tui for reserve grade in the name of the *physical* contest Cappy has benched him for.

Thank fook that clown has been sacked.

He was only ever good for a bunch of games a season (outstanding Perth record Bowling Greg Inglis included) we don't need Clowns that Bludge half a million dollars In a City that is hosting homeless rally's.....for the privelege of low fiving certain snr Warriors for dropping balls at training.

Things are looking up since we sacked the Chauffeur... the sober driver....wot a cu** that guy was.

Point being Fusitua, Tui, Maumalo, and Kata, used to que up behind fatso for a turn at Fg.

God bless u Cappy and your KPI's, no more banking on Narcissistic Selfie loving snap chat class Clowns.

GO THE NEW WARRIORS!

6 Again

They have chosen us for Perth more than once and have won very time.

Ahh okay, I remember playing the Bunnies there many times but strangely don't remember playing Manly once ... so they don't seem to have any problems travelling over their by the sounds.

Sup42

Sup42

I really think it is more a case of the refs only take Manly back 8-10 metres against us and also their outside backs last game were never onside and were not pinged once for it.
If the refs are fair and we are both back 10-12 metres then we should overcome them, problem is that won't happen and our boys just have to have more endurance.
It is the same cynical tactic the Roosters and all the other Sydney clubs employ.

You are quite right about the mechanism.

That further reinforces my point about the Warriors needing to expect Manly to dominate possession and territory.

That same culture of Reffing sees us trail in the penalty count.

Like I say..,.the only way to win this is to put in the best tackling performance of the season.

Back up the eighteen tackles straight that Manly will enjoy on pur line.

If Ken and Manu can't play defensively at their peak...and keep up with the defensive standard that their centres Kata & Ayshford are setting on the edges.

Those centres have lifted the standard of edge defence, there is no longer room for Wingers that can't defend....because Kata and Ayshford are just as good as the like of Many and Hurrell at scoring try's.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Ahh okay, I remember playing the Bunnies there many times but strangely don't remember playing Manly once ... so they don't seem to have any problems travelling over their by the sounds.
My bad memory, last year it was Manly but before that it was Souths.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Heard he's carrying an injury at the moment and is close to signing a 3 yr extension with the club. Don't worry, we'll see him in full flight again soon.
A 3 year extension? Mind you he isn't on much so it is probably good value. He is a known quantity.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Like I say..,.the only way to win this is to put in the best tackling performance of the season.
and keep on tackling like that for the rest of the season...and we will be watching a GF

Sup42

Sup42

and keep on tackling like that for the rest of the season...and we will be watching a GF
Pretty much.

So called experts bang on about why we can't find consistency.....cue Aussie accented commentary *look mate I don't know what it is....why they can't play eighty minute footy*

After twenty years how much data do you need from the for and against Stats of the Warriors versus the rest of the competition ?

How many decades do you need to prove in a defensive competition that the Warriors love of attacking footy is flawed !

Years of following forums.....generations of reading lovers of attack....'Manu only Try's they can score types'

Where has his decade got us ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.