Post Match NRL 2016 - Round 17 - Warriors vs Titans Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

As we head into the last third of the season do you believe the Warriors will make the Top 8?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
bruce

bruce

Contributor
I was totally critical of Fusitua last couple of seasons because of his lack of heart and just giving up in the chase and in defence, he always had the attacking flair, but man he has just come up in leaps and bounds this season an is fast becoming one of my fav players, totally give the kid credit for working on his flaws, definitely a better FB then Lolo but would have him back on the wing for Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

Rogers game would have picked up if he was still playing, as it was more a lack of confidence throughout the whole playing group, and to many structures for my liking. his one on one defence is definitely better then what was on offering at the start of the season, just look at the English test series and last years Anzac test, he was solid as.
I was the same with Maumolo but he is really improving. If you had Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Ken, Fusitua and Manu all available for the back three that would be a nice problem to have.

Reactions: 1 users

glory_hog

I was the same with Maumolo but he is really improving. If you had RTS, Ken, Fusitua and Manu all available for the back three that would be a nice problem to have.
yea Im also very happy for Maumalo after last years hammering from all quarters, whats happening to our young players these days? from soft cocks to hard nuts lol

I just look at our young backline Fusitua, Lolo, Kata, Maumalo they are so unheralded yet with some cool heads in the mix like Shaun Johnson, Tommy, Ayshford definitely one of the deadliest backlines in the comp

Reactions: 1 user
bruce

bruce

Contributor
yea Im also very happy for Maumalo after last years hammering from all quarters, whats happening to our young players these days? from soft cocks to hard nuts lol
Mount Wellington has always rated Ken. I said if they don't bite when they are puppies they never bite, looks like Ken and Fusitua will prove me wrong.

Trugoy

Trugoy

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, thought I'd share this.

If Sol had looked and passed right about now, look at that space for Shaun.
9 Titans are no hope of doing shit if he gets that ball to Shaun..it's try time.
We had Bodene, Blake, and Tui out there. 4 on 3 and Shaun would've burnt Taia so essentially it's 4 on 2.
(Shaun probably wouldn't have needed anyone though)

Farkn amazing run from Sol, love his play and not many could do that, literally ran through more than half the team , but sooner or later, not capatalising on these opportunities will become crucial to our season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Tragic

Tragic

How many points is hurrell good for leaking, sure he might score a freakish try, but wait until he is gassed (15min into game lol) and run down his edge for easy two tries
He never said the 12 points was for the Titans, 6 of them were what Hurrell was worth to us.

Tragic

Tragic

Just watched an ISP game I taped, Gavet annd Sipley did good, Jonno Wright actually looks really good in ISP (no I am not shitting you), Allwood too. Hingano's passing when he gets in space is not flash, he does well getting into the space though.

Jordan G

Rugby league 101 states that in a decent team the fullback does not have to tackle.

And yet the Storm who are on the verge of becomming one of the best defensive teams in history have a fullback who has still attempted close to 100 tackles.

Either RL 101 is wrong or you're reading the wrong book.

No matter how good a defense line is, teams will make breaks, they will score tries, a fullback at one time or another during a game will have to defend.

Swanley

Swanley

And yet the Storm who are on the verge of becomming one of the best defensive teams in history have a fullback who has still attempted close to 100 tackles.

Either RL 101 is wrong or you're reading the wrong book.

No matter how good a defense line is, teams will make breaks, they will score tries, a fullback at one time or another during a game will have to defend.
Rugby League 101
Fullback is the last line of defence.......and must be a good 1 on 1 tackler....

Maybe he got confused with Rugby Union!

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Rugby League 101
Fullback is the last line of defence.......and must be a good 1 on 1 tackler....

Maybe he got confused with Rugby Union!
If somebody breaks the line it isn't the fullback's fault. I reckon Roger Tuivasa-Sheck saw many more line breaks this year than he was used to at the Chooks.

• Haha

Jordan G

If somebody breaks the line it isn't the fullback's fault. I reckon Roger Tuivasa-Sheck saw many more line breaks this year than he was used to at the Chooks.

And if someone breaks the left wing it isn't the right wings fault. Everyone at some point has to defend, and while things can be made a lot easier by having a strong defensive line, a defensively strong fullback can still be the difference between a win and a loss in any game.

At some point everyone has to defend.

Reactions: 2 users
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor

9 Titans are no hope of doing shit if he gets that ball to Shaun..it's try time.
We had Bodene, Blake, and Tui out there. 4 on 3 and Shaun would've burnt Taia so essentially it's 4 on 2.

Farkn amazing run from Sol, love his play and not many could do that, literally ran through more than half the team , but sooner or later, not capatalising on these opportunities will become crucial to our season.

View attachment 19189
the thing i see in that is that Shaun Johnson should have been further up as should the rest of the team so that the pass (that wasnt thrown) didnt have as far to travel. And that Kata carrying the ball like that was never going to get the pass away. My first comment is because i strongly believe the warriors are still reacting rather than planning. They didnt expect Kata to get a run on so no one supported him. However if they supported every runner better the runner would know that they are their and plan accordingly. I think Hoffman, Ayshford and Bodene do this better than most.

gREVUS

gREVUS

Contributor
I'd like someones opinion here. The right side is going well. It seems to me the left sided players tend to throw spiral/torpedo passes, which are hard to put in front of players to run on to. This seems to me a big contributor to the clunky attacking that side.
I agree, with most of the problem coming from the passes from TL.

gREVUS

gREVUS

Contributor
Just watched an ISP game I taped, Gavet annd Sipley did good, Jonno Wright actually looks really good in ISP (no I am not shitting you), Allwood too. Hingano's passing when he gets in space is not flash, he does well getting into the space though.
was that the one from this weekend been? I actually thought it might have been his best ever game. Certainly beat the game Tui had on the same day.

Freddie Futler

Freddie Futler

They didnt expect Kata to get a run on so no one supported him.
To be fair, he ran for about 30 metres mostly sideways and our players were having to get out of his way.
Two other things spring to mind though, 1. Very hard for a support player to run onto a pass when they are going sideways like that. 2. Everyone knows that Kata doesn't pass so they were just waiting for the tackle.

Reactions: 2 users
Trugoy

Trugoy

To be fair, he ran for about 30 metres mostly sideways and our players were having to get out of his way.
Two other things spring to mind though, 1. Very hard for a support player to run onto a pass when they are going sideways like that. 2. Everyone knows that Kata doesn't pass so they were just waiting for the tackle.
Yes I'd say they weren't expecting the pass but Shaun was definitely ready for it, he had a look up and saw it was on but Sol tried to bust through.

the thing i see in that is that Shaun Johnson should have been further up as should the rest of the team so that the pass (that wasnt thrown) didnt have as far to travel. And that Kata carrying the ball like that was never going to get the pass away. My first comment is because i strongly believe the warriors are still reacting rather than planning. They didnt expect Kata to get a run on so no one supported him. However if they supported every runner better the runner would know that they are their and plan accordingly. I think Hoffman, Ayshford and Bodene do this better than most.
Sol was running all over the place, so bit hard to plan for that.
Shaun was easily close enough if Sol looked for him.
He's already beat the 7 inside him on that crazy run so the way I see it, instead of cutting in between those 2 defenders, he runs straight at the outside dude, draws and passes to Shaun and it's good night Irene!!

Easy to say from here I know, but if you watch the replay it's easier to see it unfold.

Dunedin warrior

Kata's problem at the moment with passing is technique. He has developed his carry style to minimise errors, but the downside is he can't transfer the ball into both hands to pass. I think you wait till the off season to change the habit. If it improves like his defence did he will be a complete centre.

Reactions: 7 users
Matulino's Left Shoulder

Matulino's Left Shoulder

View attachment 19189

supercoach points tho

• Haha