• Bench is weak

• No

• Terrible!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
shuffle

shuffle

here's the thing I've noticed is that when they interchange the hooker it seems Johnson gets over looked especially in the red zone. When Luke is in at hooker he knows exactly when to go to Johnson. it's Vital leaving Luke at Hooker if you want more out of Johnson.

Defence

Defence

The old Matulino trying to run over Robson play aye!

Haha yeah that worked well:rolleyes:
We've got better targets this time tho.
Actually funny u should mention that game- check out the first sharks try that day- that was more along my line of thinking.....
Poor Chad- he even got two shots at it.

Reactions: 1 users

6 Again

The only thing you might say against Shaun Johnson for Origin is he's a bit of jersey grabber but he's held up alright in the Test Matches recently when he's been up against the best from the Blues and the Morons combined, he does have an error in his game but he's a proper attacking weapon, that doesn't come without an element of risk.

Reactions: 1 user

diehard

Don't you think his defense has improved though? Yes, he grabs jerseys from time to time, but also tackles. Much better than before, to where I'm ok if they run at him. What I want him to do more of is receiving offloads and running. That's where the gaps are.

Reactions: 4 users
Defence

Defence

Not the greatest defender for sure but streets ahead of maloney- he'd be the worst defender in the comp.

Edit- sorry Maloney is the second worst- brooks is the only one to miss more tackles than him this year.
Also Shaun Johnson has scored twice as many tries, had twice as many try assists and three times the amount of line breaks.
And all that coming off a broken leg and playing in a shit team- meanwhile maloneys been getting a free ride behind the best pack in the comp-
Case closed your honor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
rugged

rugged

With his talent - hell yeah!!..... but with his form so far - shit no!
His form has hardly been below the NSW halves, he has more try assists and more line breaks than any of them. Ok you could make an argument he doesn't control a game as well as some of them, lacks a good short kicking game and the occasional jeresy grab. But no way can you say "shit no" at the very least he would be pushing and in all likelihood would have been given at least a shot at it by now if he was available.

6 Again

Don't you think his defense has improved though?

Yeah, his defense has definitely improved this season on past seasons. I recall him saying it was a point of focus for him when he was feeling out of form.

Defence

Defence

I think the stats bare that out, yep he's 3rd on the miss tackle count for the season.

2nd.
I just checked the stats and edited my post- have a look at some of the other comparisons I posted above.
People always think the grass is greener...

JoeyJohns

One huge advantage that Shaun Johnson has over Maloney is that he wants to be a Warrior and is passionate about the club. The way Maloney checked out towards the end of his contract here was pretty frustrating to watch.

When you're one of the highest paid players in the club, if not the comp, ofcourse you're gonna be passionate. Human nature.

What would be interesting is what other clubs would pay for our top earners if they decided to switch based on their form over tha past couple of seasons? Would clubs match those payments or would they have offered less?? The reason I ask is a player like Mannering. Gives his all every week, every season. Gets his fair share of accolades and unwarranted (I think) criticism. He's been with this club through thick and thin. he's been the face of this club along with Shaun Johnson yet he's also been it's most consistent high performer.

If he'd had the chance to jump ship between the 2012 season and now after all the controversy and disappointment of the last few seasons (purely based on monetary terms) would he have done so if the offer was right?

Food for thought. Let's just hope in the future we're not hoping like the Sharks this season - 50 years and waiting!

Defence

Defence

Are u guys kidding me? Shaun Johnson would've been the first half picked for NSW for the last 5 years.

Who the fucks rating this shit funny haha.
Seriously who are u guys picking ahead of him? Maloney? Pearce? Hodgkinson?
one of the Reynolds?
I'm blown away- He's a gun IMO- maybe I'm in the minority.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

6 Again

2nd.
I just checked the stats and edited my post- have a look at some of the other comparisons I posted above.
People always think the grass is greener...

I'd seen he was in the top 5 at least for all the stats that matter most to a halfback.

Last edited:
Sup42

Sup42

Poms in general are excellent distributors. Always amazes me watching Super League and everyone from the hooker to the halves to the centres pass amazingly well. Some games Ive watched the passing has been at International rugby union standards. Wonder what it is???
I have a theory..
They have an attacking style game as you know.

But they also produce more naturalised foot ballers who are reliant on their passing to make that attack work when compared to the NRL which has athletes who can break the line or stand in the tackle and deliver short balls ( as a sweeping generalisation).

So passing skill at NRL level happens in rigid structure and is mainly restricted to the spine players, outside of that NRL outside backs tend to play a power and pace game, a very direct power and pace game, the opposite to what a Jason Robinson would do.

The ESL did have some black players who were athletes in the like of Hanley and Henderson Gill....but where are those types now ? They tend to have to import the like of Tuigamala, Iro + Iro, Blackmore, and creative forwards like Ali to augment their crabbing lateral style of backline play.

Hanley is a poor example since he could do it all.

Where their naturalised footballers who aren't NRL athletes struggle is the defensive side of the game....ergo all that fluid passing isn't tested by structured D unless you are playing Wigan.

I just recon the pom development system has kept it's tradition of ball beats man....and that is in part because they don't have a comp full of Manu's and Hurrell's....or any Sjs and Marshalls.

So they can legitimately play a game where you pass to get around your opposites as opposed to bowling them over or stepping them and slicing them open

The main reason England are so good is that squad ends up with its best tacklers and a forward pack of ESL and NRL players that are as good at the grind as the Southern hemisphere sides.

If their backs could tackle like the Southern Hemisphere sides they would be world number one (might still happen).

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Another couple of things spring to mind for me. This is an issue that affects Union and League where passing skills have not kept up with other areas of the games.

One is that players come through age group play and therefore are not generally exposed to playing with older, more experienced players. I came through Union club rugby to NPC level and looking back the experience of playing with older players in 70's/80's club players was invaluable. They were not often talented players but they knew the game. How often have we bemoaned poor fecision making with the team on these forums.

Secondly is coaching. Players are getting to the top (NRL and Super rugby) who don;t know how to draw and pass and generally execute core skills. Grids etc have heir place, but don't teach those skills. The great comparison is Ayshford V Kata.

That is why U20's players playing in Reserve grade will develop them far better, as has been seen.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.