• Yes considering who is available

• Its OK

• Bench is weak

• No

• Terrible!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U could quite easily paint that with a different colored brush and say Johnson actually made them both better players- as they were both reserve grade bums until he took them under his wing:D

Maloney was playing first grade before Shaun Johnson... Maybe it was Maloney that made Shaun Johnson look good in 2011... Since then we haven't made the finals ;).

Stacy Jones was far and away the greatest distributor the Warriors have had and he played in the halves.

Agree with that.

Johnson's potential is higher than Maloney and Townsend's combined. However he hasn't reached that potential yet! Will he ever?

Maloney is a more complete footballer than Shaun Johnson, Shaun Johnson just has a huge genetic advantage! Maloney put his body on the line a lot more - who can forget him hole running off Mateo... sometimes he'd get smashed, but often it'd be a clean line break. (I never quite understood why the little guy was hole running off the big guy, that never really made sense to me).

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Was having this debate with a blues fan about who is the best half produced by NSW since Joey.

Answer had to be James Maloney or Matt Orford, which is kind of weird, when you think about it.

Maloney is very underrated.

Sorry Diehard that fool cappy is having a laugh, he wants TL to defend his edge and cover any tired forwards, I have always hated TL's on line defence it is ineffective, this year he has actually helped a number of attackers over the line. If he plays I guess we will have a few kicks dead in goal when we are on attack and how many hospital passes? more to the point how many line breaks from lillyman? I am picking ZERO, I am hoping he won't drop the ball, usually good for 2 after backing up from origin. fingers crossed.

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
As Mt Wellington confirmed, photos of Shaun Johnson and TL at the captains run this morning. Bring on tomorrow night!

ClqzmgvUoAE-Shi.jpg

Clqz08EUkAABNNc.jpg

Anyone think Shaun Johnson is good enough for origin, if he were an Aussie?

he'd easily be the best half available for NSW ;). Shaun Johnson and Maloney might give the blues a shot.

Unfortunately, he'd probably be about 6th choice half for Queensland behind Thurston, Cronk, Morgan, Hunt, and Milford (once the origin bans for those two are up). But head and shoulders ahead of DCE.

more to the point how many line breaks from Lillyman? I am picking ZERO
He plays prop. Not sure why you are basing a stat that props arent reknown for. Matulino, Vete, Lisone themselves make a linebreak once every 10ish games. Chances are all our props, and not just Lillyman will have ZERO linebreaks.

From nrl.com - line breaks so far this season:
Vete: 2
Lillyman: 0
Matulino: 1
Sipley: 1
Gavet: 0
Sao: 0
Lisone: 1
Mannering: 1
Hoffman: 1
Thompson: 5

Line breaks are not important for props. Based on the stats, at most we could expect Bull to have one. Would it make a difference?

Based on those stats, what we need is a left edge back rower hitting holes like Bodene... ;)

Reactions: fizurg
he'd easily be the best half available for NSW ;). Shaun Johnson and Maloney might give the blues a shot.

Unfortunately, he'd probably be about 6th choice half for Queensland behind Thurston, Cronk, Morgan, Hunt, and Milford (once the origin bans for those two are up). But head and shoulders ahead of DCE.

From nrl.com - line breaks so far this season:
Vete: 2
Lillyman: 0
Matulino: 1
Sipley: 1
Gavet: 0
Sao: 0
Lisone: 1
Mannering: 1
Hoffman: 1
Thompson: 5

Line breaks are not important for props. Based on the stats, at most we could expect Bull to have one. Would it make a difference?

Based on those stats, what we need is a left edge back rower hitting holes like Bodene... ;)

Don't forget....
GUBB: 1

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
NRL: Issac Luke and Shaun Johnson's pact prompts Warriors form revival
David Skipwith is the Herald's rugby league reporter

A pact between Warriors hooker Issac Luke and halfback Shaun Johnson to lift their respective running games proved the catalyst for the side's improved attacking play over the past month.
The Warriors 38-12 defeat to Canberra in New Plymouth last month proved the final straw for Luke, frustrated with the team's submissive performance in the first NRL game to be staged in his home province of Taranaki.
The most memorable part of the night came after fulltime, when the Kiwis international paid his respects by leading the hundreds of family members, friends and supporters who had travelled from his home town of Hawera, in a spine-tingling haka.
With his teammates lined up behind him, Luke was visibly moved by the emotion of the moment, and was left wiping tears from his eyes as he departed the field.
"I felt really disappointed in myself to have lost down there," said Luke.
"I know they didn't really care about the result, they were just happy there was an NRL game in Taranaki."
The experience inspired some deep reflection in the 29-year-old and after seven losses from the first 11 games, he conferred with Johnson about how they could help turn the Warriors season around.
Both players had been subjected to criticism for their lack of running and Luke knew they needed to lift their involvement with the ball in hand.
The results were evident in their next two wins over the Broncos and Knights, with Luke's dummyhalf running giving the Warriors momentum to allow Johnson to light up their right-edge attack.

"We had a bit of a talk after the Canberra game," he said. "I put a challenge to Shaun that we both have to run, as it will bring both of us into the game.
"I have to run pretty early just to bring me into the play because I don't want to be out of the game for too long.
"When Shaun runs the ball, everyone just stands still and they don't know what to do. If he can carry on doing what he's doing and picking his runs and passes, things are going to look good."

The pair were again leading performers in last week's grinding 12-10 win over the Roosters. With Johnson struggling with a quad strain and five-eighth Thomas Leuluai forced off with a head-knock, Luke took it on himself to shoulder more responsibility.

The No9 caught the Roosters by surprise and found open space with some clever kicking and running out of dummyhalf, and relieved Johnson of the goal-kicking duties to slot three vital penalties and a conversion.
"I wanted to take a bit of pressure off Shaun, I know he's been battling there.
"To be able to bring that into my game is something I've been working on for a while and it's starting to pay off.
"To mix it around and take a bit of heat off them, I'll do whatever I can to help them out."
Both will need to be at their best in tomorrow's away match against competition frontrunners Cronulla, and Luke says the Warriors early season woes can continue to provide inspiration.
"The boys are playing well so we've just got to keep the happy environment and keep tracking forward.
"We've just got to keep reminding ourselves of where we were four weeks ago."

I am a huge Shaun Johnson fan, he is getting back to his best post injury. The one area of his game that I had hope would develop more was his short kicking game. I don't see a future for Tui in the halves unless he can start offering something in that regards. What is Hingano's short kicking game like?

Seemed when Maloney and ShauIny J were together, they didn't like each other much, with Maloney baiting him, and insulting him, on a footy talk show. I know Maloney can be a bit of a larrikin, but it seemed personal. Think it had to do with blaming Shaun Johnson when the Warriors lost. Anyone know?

Good on Luke for luring Johnson into a run off.

Most interesting comment in that article is Luke's comment that when Johnson runs no one knows what to do, they all stand around.

That's the cost of a free running half of his ilk, Ayshford talked about it too.

Our right side edge is so reliant on Ayshfords sense of when to run a line when Johnson starts probing.

You can see how you end up with split halves or Tommy over calling Johnson, its not like people are missing what Johnson can do, its the problem of how to run as a back line unit and how to get some timing happening, since the star player will (and must) play AdLib.

Interesting that Luke talked to Johnson about picking times to run.

If Luke can match Johnson in knowledge on anything at all....it's reading when to run and when to shift a ball.

Luke should be talking with Johnsons offsiders, as should Ayshford, those two have clearly been trying to work Johnson out.

Reading that article I feel way more positive about this weekend, not gonna jinx it....but...

Who's standing around, the opposition or the Warriors? Shauny J usually runs when it's fifth tackle, or he tries to bend the line with his speed out wide. Would like to see him gather some offloads when the opposition isn't straight.

I am a huge Shaun Johnson fan, he is getting back to his best post injury. The one area of his game that I had hope would develop more was his short kicking game. I don't see a future for Tui in the halves unless he can start offering something in that regards. What is Hingano's short kicking game like?

He's a left footer for a start which is a bonus, he doesn't have particularly long kick or a high bomb but he has a good accurate short kicking game, I've seem him kick successfully for his wingers to score on both sides of the field, he has the Stacey Jones Kick in behind to regather and score and his grubbers into the in goal are good also, he rarely kicks the ball dead which is what you want because that shit's Warriors kryptonite.

He's by no means the finished articale but he's streets ahead of Tui in the kicking department from what I've seen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.