• Bench is weak

• No

• Terrible!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wizards rage

wizards rage

Not really about the Sharks this week, they are the form team, on a roll and expect them to be too strong at home.

For me, it's all about our attitude in defence, not making unforced errors or giving silly penalties, putting pressure off the ball in attack and defence, not dropping our heads when the games not going our way - win or lose, this will tell us if we have the attitude (know we have the skill) and deserve to be playing finals footy at year end.

Do the 1%ers right (which we weren't 4 rounds ago) and we will be competitive no matter who we play

Reactions: 2 users
Afakasi247

Afakasi247

While the proposition of Ata debuting is exicting and all,

Could you image TL and Ata in the halves? We'll be shark bait for sure.

TL would overcall everything and what a tough game to debut in - against the top team in the comp, at their home ground which they are undefeated this year and the pressure of having perform in the absense of Shaun Johnson.

However, different outlook if its Ata and Shaun Johnson - still a tough game to debut in, but all Ata has to do is show off that sweet kicking game and compliment the creativity of Johnson.

Overall, our best shot might be with TL and Shaun Johnson - things were starting to click and for all TL's faults, his a stiff tackler and his link play (despite the odd power pass to no-one or stupid no-look to Hoffman) has been pretty sturdy during our current run.

Sup42

Sup42

Isaac Luke's our chance.
He's the only star in our team that looks to be hitting top form.

Can we get at least Parity up front ?The platform Luke will need to snipe from dummy half.

Possibly, with some of our Bigger backs working overtime to help carry the Middle.

Our lot have stepped up a gear in terms of their go forward and ptb speed. Last week the Chooks had to hang on too long in the tackle because the second phase disrupted their defensive structures.

The unknown is....comparing the Chooks 2016 dogged dedence in that game is not the same thing as their past grinding top four shape through the middle.

If you're looking to avoid apples comparisons to Oranges, then its fair to say last weeks game at least puts us in the ball park with our defence through the middle against a Chooks pack that can run a ball up the guts repsectably.

I think we can match the Sharks up front.

The issue will be how our clunky back line which at times goes to lateral and turns over a lot of ball, reflects against a team that will win the kicking game, will win the kick chase, and will win the line speed race.

Contrary to our past game plans this game might be one where we should focus on taking them on where they are strongest up the guts. Play Jungle ball through the middle, put away the lateral and second phase shit out wide.

Run people off Isaac Luke.

Keep the focus on Luke.

Our injured halves can just concentrate on making safe decisions and defending well.

Get to their in goal and strangle them. Our long kicking game and our bombs aren't going to trouble them.

Use Luke and every big man with pace in this side to blitz them through the meat of it.

Reactions: 1 user
22 BEAST

22 BEAST

I have no doubt a WARRIORS win is coming this weekend. This is the begining of the end for the Sharks. They have had there fair share of luck so far this season( they have also played awesome at times) but now is the time of the WARRIORS!!!! Queensland to win tonight and Warriors by 16 over the Sharkies on the weekend.You heard it here first.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I feel good about this game. It all depends on how princesses vagina is feeling.
Hes the key, I can see him accepting the challenge that the cronulla halves pairing will bring.

I was more nervous about the Roosters game.
Because they can play off the cuff, As well as structured. But also are very aggressive.

Sharks are very similar to Broncos & Melbourne this year.
Very disciplined, And structured.
I see their fans think that is our down fall?
To structured for us? Lol
Although they have the players that can play off the cuff style like us. They have pretty much stuck to the structures implemented by the coach. And is serving them well.
We are the team to upset the apple card. Our style suits teams that play like that. We force teams like Melbourne & Brisbane to try play cavalier footy. Because those teams have defensive structures in place that are meant for structured attacks. We don't stick to them lol....We must be a nightmare to coach against.... only IF we are in that mood.

I'm not so worried about the forward battle. It's the backs that could cause a problem.
Especially on big Kens side.
I'd rather Ken partner Ayshford. Bit more experience and probably our best defensive back.
Fusitua to partner up with Kata (Pass the ball siana!)
We have some powerful mofos in our backline! We should be having plays that isolate the opposition. One on one with our big boys. Kata/Fusitua/Maumalo...Good ol Brute force. Shaun Johnson/Lolo...Speed and foot work

I do feel good......Mind you, I do every week! Lol
Nice breakdown.

I see it a little different. IMO the battle will be won or lost in the forwards. Well, the bones for either will start up front. If we fail to contain the Sharks park we are toast. All that front foot play with James Maloney playing the fiddle and we wont have a shit show. We might scramble gallantly for a while but it'll eventually take its toll. If the middle dont do their job they will make it impossible for those out wide not to be stretched defensively.

Our line speed the last couple games has been the best Ive seen it in a very long time. Thats half the key right there. Restrict the amount of speed the Sharks forwards build up and you go a long way to halting their progress. Let them drag defenders another 5 metres or allow a free arm for an offload and we may as well turn off the telly or watch the All Blacks.

Same goes for us. Unless our pack goes forward and gets quick play of the ball we arent going to do shit out wide and will instead rely on Shaun Johnson to pull a rabbit out of his arse or a low percentage grubber.

Gonna be a big game for Simon Mannering, Issac Luke, Ben Matulino and Jacob Lillyman in the middle on defence. They will make the bulk of the tackles. Not a job I envy one bit...

Reactions: 4 users
Blain

Blain

Yeah, game to be won in the forwards. Especially with Fifita, holy shit if we dont shut down his offloads they will be having 7 tackls sets every time they get the ball. Gall will take 20 hit ups in the match, unless he wrecks himself in origin like he always does..

Their outside backs are solid as, with some magic with Holmes and Barba chucked in there. No wonder Townsend looks magic ATM.. Their side is a handfull all across the park.

We've bent over and been dominated against all decent teams this year, hopefully with some confidence now we can turn it up and prove we deserve to be in the top 8.

wizards rage

wizards rage

Nice breakdown.

Our line speed the last couple games has been the best Ive seen it in a very long time. Thats half the key right there. Restrict the amount of speed the Sharks forwards build up and you go a long way to halting their progress.

More than half the key mate! Start of the season we were penalising ourselves out of games by holding the opposition down, struggling to get onside, lack of off the ball play, etc. We looked unfit and got poor results. Poor line speed was a visible reflection of a raft of wider issues.

Different attitude, different tempo now, hope it continues! Makes me think we have turned a corner...

diehard

No corner. Just this game. Gotta have the right attitude, and mental toughness. Eliminate stupid errors and penalties and we win.

Billy Teets James

Nice breakdown.

I see it a little different. IMO the battle will be won or lost in the forwards. Well, the bones for either will start up front. If we fail to contain the Sharks park we are toast. All that front foot play with James Maloney playing the fiddle and we wont have a shit show. We might scramble gallantly for a while but it'll eventually take its toll. If the middle dont do their job they will make it impossible for those out wide not to be stretched defensively.

Our line speed the last couple games has been the best Ive seen it in a very long time. Thats half the key right there. Restrict the amount of speed the Sharks forwards build up and you go a long way to halting their progress. Let them drag defenders another 5 metres or allow a free arm for an offload and we may as well turn off the telly or watch the All Blacks.

Same goes for us. Unless our pack goes forward and gets quick play of the ball we arent going to do shit out wide and will instead rely on Shaun Johnson to pull a rabbit out of his arse or a low percentage grubber.

Gonna be a big game for Simon Mannering, Issac Luke, Ben Matulino and Jacob Lillyman in the middle on defence. They will make the bulk of the tackles. Not a job I envy one bit...
Yes bro, I feel you on that. I mentioned the backs as i do think we can do a good job against their forwards.
Well i did, Until Lillyman was named lol.

We only have our backs to rely on. As our forwards have been shit for years.
So relying on them to get the upper hand over opposing forward packs is not a biggie.
We play a good scavengers game. Looking for mistakes to feed off. That off the cuff stuff i mentioned previously.
I know their forwards are the threat. I'm not as worried about them. We have a work horse pack good enough(On their day) to contain them.
Our backs? Shiiiet! Rocks & Diamonds bro! Thats why I'm worried. Cronullas backline are pretty decent.

Raurimu Massive

Raurimu Massive

I've done the sums, crunched the numbers, studied the stuff that gets studied in these situations, and I have us winning by 20. Lock it in, Eddy.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Jay M

Jay M

Can we get at least Parity up front ?The platform Luke will need to snipe from dummy half.

That there is the key. We need to turn their pack inside out and back in on themselves to create space. Because man for man out wide, I can't see us creating much at the moment. Luke sniping, plus some well timed offloads in the middle could see us bust the middle, and Barba's not the best defensive fullback we've ever seen ;)

snake77

snake77

Now the other question if we win will we get the credit we deserve for knocking off the top side and turning things around?
Or will it be fobbed off as the Warriors winning during the Origin period again?

A couple of ex Warriors in their side. The halves will be keen to perform and get one over Johnson. Maloney the cheeky bugger will be keen to get a few words in. Hopefully our guys are up for the challenge and can keep him quiet.

6 Again

Cappy sounded pretty confident at the start of the week they'd both line up against the Sharks, good experience for Ata to be included in the side for the past couple of weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
Freddie Futler

Freddie Futler

Sharks will target Warriors second-phase attack says Townsend
4:13 PM Thursday Jun 23, 2016
townsend_620x310.jpg

Chad Townsend of the Sharks runs with the ball during the round five NRL match between the Wests Tigers and the Cronulla Sharks. Photo / Getty
Cronulla halfback Chad Townsend says the table topping Sharks are determined to contain the Warriors second-phase attack in Saturday's intriguing NRL clash in Sydney.

The former Warriors playmaker is well aware of the ball-playing threats posed by his old friends and teammates after playing two seasons in Auckland before returning to his junior club over the off-season.

Watching on as the Warriors struggled through the opening half of the season was difficult, but Townsend is not surprised by their recent form revival that's brought a hattrick of wins over Brisbane, Newcastle and the Sydney Roosters.

"I'm still a big Warriors fan," he said. "It was a bit hard to watch at the start of the year, to be honest.

"I obviously know the boys personally and know what it's like to go through a couple of tough times and a couple of losses.

"But if people ever asked me, I said I backed the coach when I was there and I thought Cappy (McFadden) was doing a great job and I knew that they'd bounce back.

"They've got themselves back playing some good footy and we definitely know that we're going to be in for a tough game this weekend."

The 25-year-old believes limiting the visitor's offloads and go-forward will reduce the impact of Warriors hooker Issac Luke, as the Sharks look to remain unbeaten at Southern Cross Group Stadium this season and extend their 10-match winning streak.

"Last weekend (against the Roosters), the amount of offloads they had was just unbelievable," said Townsend.

"It was back to the old days and it was great to watch.

"That's an area we'll have to really knuckle down in to stop their offloads and second-phase.

"Off the back of that, Issac Luke had a lot of runs, and he's definitely a big threat for us."

A strong start to the season saw Townsend win a City Origin call-up and his game has continued to flourish alongside another former Warriors playmaker, James Maloney, who also spent three seasons at Mt Smart Stadium between 2010 and 2012.

"It's been great playing with Jimmy," he said.

"He obviously played in a grand final with the Warriors and played in Origin games.

"His big game experience and ability to take the right options at the right times in the pressure moments of games, is something that I'm trying to learn off him and implement into my game."

The pair both played alongside Warriors halfback Shaun Johnson, offering the side direction and structure, but Townsend's attacking role has broadened since his return to the Shire.

"This year the coaches have really drilled into me the importance of support play.

"As a half you can easily fall out of the game by trying to get the structure on. When there's a half-break or something, and you might be sitting back on your heels waiting for the set play.

"That's been a small focus for me but it's definitely helped my game."

With the Sharks in their 50th season and looking strong contenders to claim their first premiership, Townsend insists the side is not getting carried away.

"We haven't really accomplished anything yet while people are pumping up our tyres," he said.

"We want to be playing our best footy at the end of the year so we still know there's a long way to go."

- NZ Herald

Sup42

Sup42

McFadden said Shaun's not at 100% but they'll just manage him.

Defence

Defence

Well one thing we know first hand is that Maloney and Chad are both suspect on d- id be running a lot of traffic at them two guys- esp close to their own line- there's points there all day.

Sup42

Sup42

Good article and spiel from Townsend.

Watching the structured Queensland play the second phase coaching style of Daleys Blues last night, reminded me of the Warriors playing style versus the structure they will confront from the Sharks.

It"s poignant that Cappey is from the same school of rugby league as Daley, and the twist is the Sharks players who are reps were playing in the 2nd phase forward game plan before confronting the Warriors who historically are the masters of that game.

The footballing gods love Irony....

I was pleased to hear McFadden admit that last week we missed opportunities with our chances with the ball, the two reasons he isolated are my biggest pet hates with the Warriors 'passing lacked accuracy and some players were a little out of position '.

That's the problem with a NZ developed side. Technical issues.

We roll out athlete's with amazing physical presence in the game ball in hand, whether that means an amazinf side step from Johnson with ball in hand or an unstoppable power play by Manu,

That shit wets our appetites and sells us on attacking footy.

But I challenge you to watch a Warriors game and focus on passing in isolation.

You will see these attacking geniuses catching balls passed behind them and above their heads more often than they get a clean pass.

When they get a clean pass and are not forced to pull up and perform Circus tricks to catch a ball, those same players do serious damage to their opponents.

At the moment the Warriors best distributors are Ayshford and Luke. That's only one player from the spine and one who is on the edges.

That is why we are Kings on paper and shit in the real world.

The best distributors in this team....if we want our athletic attack footy to compete....needs to be 6,7,9,1, and three and four.

The Pom was the greatest distributor in Warrior history. During that time, one player made the Warriors a structured side that could use a battering ram like Hurrell to win games.

That prick wasn't even in the halves.

We need a world class passer of the ball at standoff....someone who passes better than Johnson Luke....TL and all the other pretenders at distribution.

If we find and sign that player the Warriors will rip the comp to bits.

At present they are playing some loose mickey mouse form of jungle ball....this Waka needs a rudder.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
The Pom was the greatest distributor in Warrior history. During that time, one player made the Warriors a structured side that could use a battering ram like Hurrell to win games.
You still wanking on about Pomkins lol :D:D:D...

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.