Post Match NRL 2016 - Round 16 - Sharks vs Warriors Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Based off this game have the Warriors turned a corner?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Can just as easily say the day Roache doesn’t come off the bench is the day we lose, which is also a fact.

Lolohea came on and threw a pass to Mannering’s feet, couldn’t shut down barba which would have turned the game in our favour.

He’s had big games against the broncos and bulldogs, but has been underwhelming for a lot of his time at fullback, and in his 60+ minutes in the halves against the roosters. His leg/knee looks like its got 6 yards of tape on it most weeks, don’t think he’s fully fit either.

I’d be happy to see him back in the 2 jersey this week, less workload and Fusitua killed it at FB, but swapping one winger for a slightly better winger isn’t enough to decide the winning and losing of the game IMO.

That pass was from David Fusitua

Stone

Stone

Even though I've ragged on him a fair bit I don't actually blame Wright for that loss, I blame McFadden

Like I alluded to earlier in this thread, some of McFadden's decisions seem so nonsensical that they border on being farcical IMO, someone else mentioned earlier on this thread (I think it might've been Toilet Duck) that McFadden is making some really fundamental mistakes that you just don't see from any of the other coaches from any of the other teams in the entire comp & also from my perspective if the coach is going to call for ownership of performance from the players, which is great, then he himself also has to live by that philosophy or it just becomes nothing more than hot air

But, as far as I can ascertain, McFadden never seems to take ownership of his own mistakes, he either seems to try & change any focus on himself by coughing up a plethora of excuses, (his banging on about the penalty try being the latest example) or worse still he ends up trying to deflect warranted criticism on a particular player (Wright) by throwing other players under the bus instead, (eg: Ayshford / Lolohea) I totally get publicly defending one of your players no matter what the circumstances, that's entirely admirable, but you don't fucking do it by throwing other players under the bus instead, that's just weak & highly counterproductive IMO

I still stand by what I said earlier, although I'm more than happy with the effort, commitment & heart the Warriors displayed against the Sharks, (I've been happy with that for the last month actually) I still believe that with a few minor alterations to both the lineup & the tactics (which is a HUGE part of the coaches role) the Warriors would've actually toweled the Sharks up on Saturday (even with an injured Shaun Johnson) & that would've made one hell of a statement to every other team in the entire comp, while simultaneously giving the Warriors a HUGE boost to their confidence & morale (not to mention us the fans also)

But instead the Warriors & us the fans have to be content with losing a close hard fought match to the current competition leaders, which while admirable in itself & definitely better than where we were a month or so ago is still a real opportunity lost no matter how you cut it IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Dunedin warrior

In fairness to Cappy the decision to play Wright was made to look a lot worse due to the fact that Wright had his worst game in his time with us. Tui makes sense to have on the bench as he covers 8 positions.

I still would have played Tui but there is some logic behind the move, Fusitua has been going great and maybe he felt Tui was coasting a little and just needed a wake up call.

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

I note some have rested their hat on Johnno Wrong dropping the pass with the open line on the second half, claiming it was too high. In the midst of that I'm not sure how his howler to not dive on a loose ball, instead try for the very unlikely glory play, high cost us 6 points is not also looked on by all as a dead set shocker. It was a horrid selection and a horrible performance. There can be no denying Wrong unfortunately helped seal the deal for that scroat Maloney and his partner who has the god awfulest haircut of all time going on, Townsend.

drunk_monk

drunk_monk

Oh man, the old man and the father in law both said a loss is a loss, doesnt matter if its by 1 and they played well, or by 40.

my response: "actually points difference can make a difference on the ladder, and a thrashing can lead to more losses straight away, right now we appear to be on a great upward trajectory and just losing can feed the hunger to get better, being thrashed is just depressing and can cause worse issues int he club. Losses happen to everyone, but how you lose and how you recover form that loss going into the next week is what makes the difference".

They stared at me blankly and just said "still lost".

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
rugged

rugged

I haven't heard anyone mentioned the Wright disallowed try where he seemed to have a finger in the ball. The most bizarre thing about the call was the bunker said no contact had been made with the ball. When there was a clear freeze frame with his finger on the ball.

Trugoy

Trugoy

I haven't heard anyone mentioned the Wright disallowed try where he seemed to have a finger in the ball. The most bizarre thing about the call was the bunker said no contact had been made with the ball. When there was a clear freeze frame with his finger on the ball.
Yeah it's been mentioned, ruled a knock on. Fair call.

Leaguegod

Leaguegod

Yes but his other finger was planted firmly up his own ass, hence the disallowed try.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
eric

eric

Thompson and Mannering included in NRL.com's team of the week.

Reactions: 5 users