Post Match NRL 2016 - Round 16 - Sharks vs Warriors Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Based off this game have the Warriors turned a corner?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

j-bob

blaming Wright for the loss is weak.

there is no guarantee tui would have caught a ball that was high and behind him or that tui would have been in a position to get that loose ball.

over all wright was ok and not the reason we lost.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
He had a bad game (he’s not exactly a skill merchant at the best of times) but getting pretty tired of hearing about how his selection was the losing of the game, not like he shelled the try scoring pass in the 75th minute (that was the opposition)

One of the best games we’ve played (considering its away, against a good team that is switched on) since anazc day in Melbourne 2014.

Compared to how we usually get touched up on the big occasions, this was good signs. But the calendar still says June, so won’t get too carried away.

Reactions: 2 users
Horriors2013

Horriors2013

Man reading those articles has made me feel even more bamboozled than I did before

It's like one step forward followed by two steps back with this guy

On the one hand it's very encouraging to see that McFadden recognizes that Fusitua > Lolohea at fullback

But then he more or less kills that encouragement with his reasoning behind benching Lolohea & starting Wright

Blaming Ayshford for that bombed try is just weak IMO, sure the pass was slightly high & slightly behind Wright, but you just have to catch those at this level, especially when you are unmarked in a tight match with the try line beckoning

Now while I personally never expected (or wanted) the coach to come out & publicly bag Wright's performance, I would've never expected McFadden to defend him by essentially bagging other players (Ayshford / Lolohea) either

The thing that really leaves me SMH in disbelief is that it's now pretty much 100% confirmed that McFadden obviously really (REALLY ??? lol) rates Wright

This means that we are IMO more or less guaranteed to see Wright in the starting line up again, probably more than once & as more than just cover too

That's just o_O :confused: :banghead:
Wright is the stop-gap. Cappy would rather play someone who can be in the right place on defence than a match-winner who can lose the game on a defensive lapse.

And for Cappy to criticize Lolo's defence..I can think of a few games Wright has fucked up a match-winning try.

And the other aspect is that Fusitua has been amazing on the right wing. Our best finisher. He or Lolo had a good chance of scoring that one.

Third thing. If Wright is a good defender then how the he'll did Leutele score from that position? I've seen Lolo save tries from that position or worse.

Fact: Lolo started in our 3 wins. Including the Broncos which we won comfortably. The day he doesn't start, we lose. His upside certainly outweighs Wright's imo.

Reactions: 7 users
Akkerz

Akkerz

Contributor
Wright is only one of the players in the team. He missed catching a shit pass and for that he's been virtually hung, drawn & quartered. Bloody rubbish. That pass was a howler from Ayshford. There are no guarantees Tui would have saved the day either.

The loss was due to a few poor actions and a few poor decisions overall by players on the field. The decision not to take to 2 on offer, Johnson umming & aahing about whether he was injured or not, Luke's unsuccessful kick, & Mannering's gift penalty try to the opposition all had an effect on the result. Why are they not copping some flak?

Warriors had the Sharks sweating and that was great but still a loss that needs to be put right against the Titans.

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Fact: Lolo started in our 3 wins. Including the Broncos which we won comfortably. The day he doesn't start, we lose. His upside certainly outweighs Wright's imo.

Can just as easily say the day Roache doesn’t come off the bench is the day we lose, which is also a fact.

Lolohea came on and threw a pass to Mannering’s feet, couldn’t shut down barba which would have turned the game in our favour.

He’s had big games against the broncos and bulldogs, but has been underwhelming for a lot of his time at fullback, and in his 60+ minutes in the halves against the roosters. His leg/knee looks like its got 6 yards of tape on it most weeks, don’t think he’s fully fit either.

I’d be happy to see him back in the 2 jersey this week, less workload and Fusitua killed it at FB, but swapping one winger for a slightly better winger isn’t enough to decide the winning and losing of the game IMO.

brightman

brightman

Not really, just putting a little perspective into the vitriol and attacks on one player as many of the players made mistakes in that game.
i.e. It is a team sport and we win as a team and lose as a team.

No matter what, I support the team and am proud that they held the top of the table team to a draw after 80 minutes, what happened after that was not Jono's fault.
The "vitriol" is directed at McFadden's bizarre team selection, namely starting Wright on the wing over Lolohea.
Nobody begrudges Wright, he is only doing the best he can. But by the same token his best is not good enough and most certainly not better than what Tui provides hence the "vitriol" aimed at Cappy.
Perhaps, it seems, you and Cappy have the same misunderstanding of 'perspective', so why don't you explain the benefits of Tui playing the final 20 mins on the wing.

Reactions: 4 users
Freddie Futler

Freddie Futler

The "vitriol" is directed at McFadden's bizarre team selection, namely starting Wright on the wing over Lolohea.
No disagreement there, I agree dumb decision but I don't have insight into why he did that.

But by the same token his best is not good enough and most certainly not better than what Tui provides hence the "vitriol" aimed at Cappy.
It appeared that the vitriol was more aimed at Jono which is what I was responding to (And I assure you I am not a Jono Fan) as I don't believe one man was responsible for our Golden point loss.
Perhaps, it seems, you and Cappy have the same misunderstanding of 'perspective', so why don't you explain the benefits of Tui playing the final 20 mins on the wing.
I like LoLo on the wing, so like you it is bewildering but there must some deeper issue and as fans we have to back the coaches decisions and in the end it was only a dropped goal by a slightly more composed team that beat us.

Reactions: 4 users
Blain

Blain

Wright also missed another shot at the try line, he didn't have as much room to move, and was probably way to slow to make it, but dropped it cold.

Then the in goal grubber, which he missed clean from a VERY good position to lay a finger on.

There is also the 2 attempted intercepts, one he missed completely leading to a try, the other knocked on. Both would have made for an interesting chase, although someone like Andrew Fifita would probably have grabbed him within 30 metres anyway..

It sounds like I'm blaming the loss on Wright alone I know.. But these are the facts of what happened in the game. Yes there were other chances that others missed also.

Those sort of errors can very easily be the difference in close arm wrestles like that one.

Tragic

Tragic

Wright also missed another shot at the try line, he didn't have as much room to move, and was probably way to slow to make it, but dropped it cold.

Then the in goal grubber, which he missed clean from a VERY good position to lay a finger on.

I was sure you only need downward force with any part of the body and I swear looking at those replays he had a finger on the ball.

Seen those given before that's for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Trugoy

Trugoy

I thought Wright's finger was also on the ball, with downward pressure.
Yeah there have been times where tries have been given similar to that Wright attempt, but it would've been a bullshit call imo. Can't stand when they give those. They got that one right.

Last edited:
Viking

Viking

Can anyone here name a slower winger, that's playing first grade this year, than Wright?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Trugoy

Trugoy

If you're talking about the one where Barba dropped it behind him after Shaun's kick, it's a bit harsh to blame Wright for that one. He did knock the ball on (just) but everything was moving pretty quickly. Easy to miss the bouncing ball in that situation.

warriorsfan92

Even Matty Johns show are perplexed by the Lolohea decision, it makes no fucking sense! Be up front and honest Cappy, this snakey behaviour is unbecoming.

Trugoy

Trugoy

just on a 'make a decision without the bunker for once' whinge..
Could the touchy be in any better position to see that the ball is clearly planted for a try. They went to the bunker just to check this grounding.
Dude, how could you not say yeah thats a try alright!

Sorry, but the amount of time spent in the bunker is starting to grind the gears.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
just on a 'make a decision without the bunker for once' whinge..
Could the touchy be in any better position to see that the ball is clearly planted for a try. They went to the bunker just to check this grounding.
Dude, how could you not say yeah thats a try alright!

Sorry, but the amount of time spent in the bunker is starting to grind the gears.
View attachment 19048
But how will people know its time for KFC???

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users