Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Have the Warriors turned a new page?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Knights are woeful and nothing should be taken from this game, my concerns are the Beast injured and TL being so slow and predictable and now he has included running behind his own players as he is to slow to run face lines, we should have put 70 on them, as they say a win is a win is a win. Yep agree give the youngsters a blat, we have to push forward,and Cappy is not running the show, the boys are digging in for each other and trying to get along nothing to do with Cappy he's gone soon enough.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
I saw a movie on the other channel on douglass bader. A real hero. At the first dropped ball, i switched over to watch it instead. After when i had a rosey glow of true hero worship going i started the recording and watched the game.

Lisone is either deaf or very very stupid. That penalty.

It really was a masterclass against a junior grade team. But it didnt leave me with a lot of confidence.

Still seeing the backs driving the ball forward into the line early in the game way to much. With Manu out who will take on this role? Medium tear, out 4 -6 weeks.

I guess what im feeling is that until origin is well and truly over, say 2 to 3 weeks we really will have no idea what this team can offer, so i refuse to get excited. But i did enjoy watching. Unfortunately i see so many errors now, its like im looking for them instead of just enjoying the spectacle. I hope this changes in time. I guess i really have no faith in this team

Reactions: 1 users
The Knights are woeful and nothing should be taken from this game, my concerns are the Beast injured and TL being so slow and predictable and now he has included running behind his own players as he is to slow to run face lines, we should have put 70 on them, as they say a win is a win is a win. Yep agree give the youngsters a blat, we have to push forward,and Cappy is not running the show, the boys are digging in for each other and trying to get along nothing to do with Cappy he's gone soon enough.
dont forget the great Graham Henry had input to Cappy and team, geez i sound like a bloody Sewth Afrikan calling him Cappy ffsakes! Many years ago when I lived in UNZUD he wouldve just been called Cap, but with all the effing Sewth Afrikans settled there, because probably they didnt like having a black President, like rats, they jumped ship and went to NZ, now kiwis are effing influenced by these foreign nicknames!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
NRL-P-Kata.jpg

Five things we learned from Knights v Warriors

Written by MARK ST JOHN, June 11, 2016

THE Warriors were too good for the Knights with a 50-14 win at Hunter Stadium. Here are the five things RLW learned:

1. The Warriors are the dark horse for a finals berth.

After a disappointing start to the season the Warriors have now strung together two big wins in a row and while they did beat the lowly Knights their confidence is growing. Now with the top eight in reach and the Origin period is in full swing which is a notriously good time of year for the Warriors they can really set themselves up for a charge to the finals in the back half of the year.

2. Shaun Johnson is getting back to his best.
The one time Golden Boot winner has been below his best in 2016 as he has made a comeback from a leg injury that has affected his running game. Johnson and the Warriors are at their best when Johnson runs the football and feeds his forwards and centres on the advantage line and he showed his class against the Knights. He also kicked strongly from the tee.

3. David Fusitua has found his feet in first grade.
The Warriors winger has shown promise for years but is starting to become a more consistent player at the top level. Fusitua bagged four tries today and his involvement level is at an all time high which is creating opportunities for himself and his teammates.

4. The Knights defence is terrible.
Newcastle had far too many lapses against the Warriors with poor reads and bad technique gifting the opposition too many points. Nathan Brown’s number one priority should be to get his squad fitter so that their defence can improve before he worries about the attacking side of the game.

5. Sione Mata’utia had his best game for a long time.
Bursting onto the scene with a Test debut in 2014 after only seven first grade games the Newcastle centre has been disappointing since. Mata’utia was at his barnstorming best against the Warriors with three tackle breaks, two linebreaks an offload and a try with 131 metres from just seven runs. He needs to get the ball early and more often if the Knights attack is going to improve.

Warriors 50 (Fusitua 3, Vete 2, Vatuvei, Thompson, Kata tries; Johnson 5 goals, Luke 2 goals) beat Knights 14 (Mata’utia, Elliot tries; Hodkinson 3 goals)

https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/five...62590330448875&adbpl=fb&adbpr=110919635615955

Did you see the nsw warriors play?
None of that team should be promoted based on today's game.
Poor discipline leaking defence mind you attack was OK Robson Lino hingano. Wells didn't stand out and hingano is a great talent but at this stage would get smashed in first grade not yet for promotion

I thought Wells had a good game. If Manu is out I'd love to see him get a shot.
If not Wells then Maumalo.
Please not Wright.

Mr Bob

Contributor
We beat a hung over Broncos and a wooden spoon team and suddenly overnight we are a "dark horse"? Pull the brakes please.

People are going to call his top 4 favourites by next week when we roast the roosters.

Always feels good this time of year.

SMH

• Haha

bruce

Contributor
The current points table says otherwise.

;)
Trainspotting time...

The points differential tends to be an accurate guide by seasons end.
On that basis we should be tenth, or ninth counting Parramatta. However there are only five points in it depending on what happens at Brookvale this afternoon.
If our defence improves we will be top eight for sure...if...can it?

I think the two things that pleased me most was the first try to David Fusitua, it was a cleverd very simplistic set play pulled out at the right time. That play is nearly impossible to defend from 10 metres out off a quick ruck, the prop surges onto it and runs a diagonal line back towards a point 10 metres out from the left hand upright, because the defence is on the back foot, to cover the angle the man on the outside has to jam in, and then its a matter of going through the hands and the second receiving playmaker, in this case Lolohea, picking the right pass and he did when he saw the winger turn in. We, and Queensland for that matter, used to use it quite regularly with Steve Price who was very good at recognising when the conditions were right and putting it on. The second thing was they obviously saw a glaring issue in the Knights left hand edge, and they just kept picking it apart. The only disappointment was they really should have scored another try, but for once Lolohea took the wrong option and instead of freeing two open men up outside him he passed in to traffic forward. Tui is becoming very very good at picking the right pass at the right time and is usually very accurate with it.

The try to Matautia was disappointing. Whilst Johnson and Lolohea miss, for mine the try at its core is down to Bodene Thompson. He gives away an unnecessary penalty late in the tackle count when there was no pressure on in the previous set, and then when the play is put on, Thompson jams in when there was no need to do. He had to trust his inside men and it would have been quite easily defended. Some of Shaun's kicking was disappointing, he has a real habit of kicking it into opponents. Sometimes luck goes against you, and when you are in the Knights position, that seems to occur most of the time, and it did in this game.

Other than that, I thought we were excellent. David Fusitua is such an athletic talent. He's quick, his footwork is terrific, his balance and agility I firmly believe is unparalleled in this competition. I know we are in an era of epic try scoring wingers because of the lack of a corner post ruling, but he exploits it better than any other. Lolohea is going to be a great player for a long time for the Warriors, the only question is going to be in what position. Sam Lisone, he needs to work on his hit in defence so he's not caught out having to over-wrestle and give up a penalty, but he is very good with his short passing game. He even put Charlie Gubb into a nice gap there. Issac Luke was excellent, always scheming. 2 try assists, 2 line break assists, 1 line break - all those who felt Friend was better can lick my scroat. Friendy was an epic ankle biter who never gave in, but skill wise he has nothing on Luke. And credit where its due to the Warriors for signing Blake Ayshford - certainly didn't think it was a good signing, happy to agree I was wrong. He's solid, his defence is good, and he knows when to let it sing or back himself. He reads numbers very well both offensively and defensively.

Very happy with that, and I know its only the Knights, but they always be games that you can fall over in. We have another one next week, before a very tough game against Cronulla. Need to continue the roll, and keep backing our skill.

Reactions: 7 users
I thought the Sunday Footy Show would be worth watching or at least bearable seeing as we won. The whole segment on our game was pretty much a pity session for the Knights and how long it would take to fix the club. We could of been a trivia question at the end of the show; who did the Knights play. As we were barely mentioned.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
To be fair, snake77, the Knights meltdown is, being impartial, the bigger story. How did they turn so shit?

It won't show on their ladder position, as the cooking utensil made from fossil fuel is a-coming their way for a second straight year, but this year is on track to make last year's 8 wins look not too shabby.

Where'd I put me small violin that I can fit on the tip of my thumb?

• Haha

bruce

Contributor
The try to Matautia was disappointing. Whilst Johnson and Lolohea miss, for mine the try at its core is down to Bodene Thompson. He gives away an unnecessary penalty late in the tackle count when there was no pressure on in the previous set, and then when the play is put on, Thompson jams in when there was no need to do. He had to trust his inside men and it would have been quite easily defended. Some of Shaun's kicking was disappointing, he has a real habit of kicking it into opponents. Sometimes luck goes against you, and when you are in the Knights position, that seems to occur most of the time, and it did in this game.
Did anybody notice the referee getting in Lolohea's way? I don't know if he could have stopped it but he was definitely unsighted and impeded.

bruce

Contributor
I thought the Sunday Footy Show would be worth watching or at least bearable seeing as we won. The whole segment on our game was pretty much a pity session for the Knights and how long it would take to fix the club. We could of been a trivia question at the end of the show; who did the Knights play. As we were barely mentioned.
The talking point that the Knights are is nothing compared to Manly's predicament. Being owed $3 million by a jersey sponsor who says they don't want to be a sponsor and didn't agree to the deal in the first place. The Warriors losing to that outfit might come back to bite them at top eight time.

The Knights went
The talking point that the Knights are is nothing compared to Manly's predicament. Being owed $3 million by a jersey sponsor who says they don't want to be a sponsor and didn't agree to the deal in the first place. The Warriors losing to that outfit might come back to bite them at top eight time.
Manly have been a bit of a soap opera the last few years. Even a lot of their players leaving hasn't stopped it as the hits keep coming. The sponsor issue last week was an interesting read. They want out and don't want to be associated with the club, Manly probably trying to keep them on the jersey for a bit longer to try and keep them paying.

The Knights Johns said it would take 10 years to fix. Hasn't he heard of recruitment, even their cap shouldn't be that bad that they can't buy anyone for 10 years. Glad Fittler disagreed and said they should be expecting results quicker than that otherwise other clubs would just recruit all of their best players.

Johns mentioned it was more the experienced players letting him down. It would of been good if he named some names and stirred things up a bit.

They did have a good piece on one of the Knights tries and how moving the ball between the halves meant Lolohea had more ground to cover for the kick as he had to cover more ground.

Did anybody notice the referee getting in Lolohea's way? I don't know if he could have stopped it but he was definitely unsighted and impeded.
Regardless of the Ref, how does that account for the rest of his game where he spills it cold on our first touch and then his comedy of errors, wrong positional play, couldn't catch Sione etc. He is not a fullback, my choice would be wing.
On the plus side he did run for a few meters,