• No

• We're fucked!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Put this here cause, even tho Konrad is the headline, it's about the whole team selections really.

No place for Konrad Hurrell in Warriors squad

5:07 PM Tuesday May 17, 2016

konradHurrell_620x310.jpg

Konrad Hurrell. Photo / Getty Images.
Simon Mannering returns to the Warriors starting lineup but Manu Vatuvei remains out of the picture for the round eleven clash against Canberra on Saturday.

The other main talking points are Issac Luke being promoted back to the starting XIII and Konrad Hurrell remaining on the outer, despite centre Solomone Kata missing the match in New Plymouth through suspension.

Hawera-born-and-raised Luke was on the bench against St George Illawarra and Penrith but now reclaims the #9 jersey as the Warriors take the NRL to his province for the first time.

The 29-year-old Mannering missed the last two matches after receiving an ugly facial wound in the eighth-round match against Melbourne on Anzac Day.

Named at prop is Ben Matulino - he was used from the bench last week - ensuring the Warriors are in line to use their most-experienced starting pack for the first time this season.

Suspension has forced a significant change in the back line with centre Solomone Kata sidelined for one game after taking an early guilty plea on a dangerous contact charge.

For Kata, the side's top try-scorer this season with eight in 10 appearances, it stops a run of 34 consecutive games since his NRL debut in the opening round last year.

His absence results in Matt Allwood being called in to face his former club.

"Like Solomone, the telling factor is that Matt is a preferred left side player," said assistant coach Justin Morgan. "He's really comfortable on that side of the field and he'll be working with a good defensive edge as well with Ryan (Hoffman) and Tommy (Thomas Leuluai).

"It's a huge game for Issac playing in his home province. He got back some form at the weekend, his defence was more consistent and he had a few runs from dummy half, which is what we need him to do. He'll be keen to cement his starting spot in the side.

"Having Simon back in the side is a massive boost. We've missed him a bit. He does a lot of work in and around the ruck and his leadership is excellent as well."

An extended bench of five players has again been named with hooker-back rower Jazz Tevaga joined by John Palavi and James Gavet while props Sam Lisone and Toafofoa Sipley have been promoted after putting in strong showings for the ISP side in its 32-16 win over Penrith last Saturday.

The Warriors go into the contest with a win-loss-win-loss-win-loss sequence in their last six matches while the Raiders have lost four of their last five, the win a 60-6 result against Wests Tigers.

We could pinch a victory here. Dashing the hopes of all those spoon hunters.

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland
“He’s really comfortable on that side of the field and he'll be working with a good defensive edge as well with Ryan (Hoffman) and Tommy (Thomas Leuluai).

Did this bit make anyone else laugh? Our left is a good defensive edge?

I must have drunk more than I remember this season because that's one thing I don't remember...

stacky18

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 14, 2013
A team full of reserve graders trying to keep up with the big boys.

It wouldn't matter what 17 we announce I'd have no confidence based on this wasted year.
I'll watch it. But it'll probably be my last game for 2016.

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Usual Tues bullshit. He's never going to start Fusitua outside Allwood. Is Ali dead? The only consistent thing about the Warriors for years has been we get fucked by the Dragons and we thrash the Raiders. Can't even count on that anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Off The Bench

Donal

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 10, 2014
Auckland
Wright, Allwood, Ayshford.. who would have ever thought we'd end up with three ozzy journey men in our backline
Look, I thought that way too for quite a while, and I'm still not convinced about Wright, but I think Allwood is seriously under-rated, and Ayshford has been getting better all season. At first I thought we had another Nielsen - all right on defence, couldn't score a try to save their lives - but he's been crossing the line more recently, so I'm OK with it

mode81

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2012
Look, I thought that way too for quite a while, and I'm still not convinced about Wright, but I think Allwood is seriously under-rated, and Ayshford has been getting better all season. At first I thought we had another Nielsen - all right on defence, couldn't score a try to save their lives - but he's been crossing the line more recently, so I'm OK with it

Yep Allwood has never let the team down.. Ayshford is ok but I'd offload him for a quality centre at the drop of a hat. Wright is average..

Not one of those three players would make any other starting NRL team. Only the Warriors with our 'safety first' approach type coach are these guys afforded the luxury of a starting spot. I'd offload all three and Hurrell for Dean Whare.

Donal

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 10, 2014
Auckland
Always hard to tell from the outside, maybe there's some logic I can't see, but I would have thought - and no offence to Thomas Leuluai - we urgently need to get the long-term Lolohea/Johnson combo bedded down, so I'd have played them 6/7 with Fusitua at full-back. Can't see the point of dropping Charlie Gubb, either, as a bit of mongrel against that handy Canberra pack wouldn't have gone amiss, plus he brings the crowd into play the way Tooks and Ali used to (maybe not so much in New Plymouth, but certainly at home). Starting Issac is a good move: I reckon he'll want to prove he's got the right to the run-on spot

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Johnson's run out of excuses. He needs a massive game against the Raiders. A Statement game. A stake in the ground performance.
If its any consolation Shaun Johnson more often than not has a blinder against the Raiders. We have put up some real cricket scores against the Raiders of late.

We can do this guys. Its just a matter of faith :p...

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
Don't mind the team TBH, Jono Wright has a spot every week, we just have to swallow it and come to the fact we are shit.

Bet ya we'll smash them.

We're due a classic WTF performance, to keep us in the will we make the 8/won't we make 8, then fuck out at the end zone.

Donal

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 10, 2014
Auckland
Yep Allwood has never let the team down.. Ayshford is ok but I'd offload him for a quality centre at the drop of a hat. Wright is average..

Not one of those three players would make any other starting NRL team. Only the Warriors with our 'safety first' approach type coach are these guys afforded the luxury of a starting spot. I'd offload all three and Hurrell for Dean Whare.
Sure. Got to remember we're short Kata this week, and that's a big loss.
Hurrell - what to say? My young chap and I spotted him very early on and thought he could be a world-class centre, and he showed signs of it, and what with one thing and another it's run into the sand. It's a shame: in terms of potential not realised (or not yet, anyway, if he gets a go somewhere else) it's one to rank right up there with Kevin Locke (and, drifting from the topic a bit, with the Coal Train Dave Taylor, who could have been one of the greats)

diehard

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 27, 2016
Ah, come on. Give Hurrell a swirl. He used to be great several years ago. His skill was there. Can't imagine he's lost it. His attitude is better. Even beats a drum. At the minimum, let him audition for another team this weekend so we don't pay half a mil for him to go elsewhere, like we did with Mateo.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Defence to be high priority for Fensom-less Canberra Raiders in New Plymouth
CHRISTOPHER REIVE
Last updated 21:22, May 17 2016
1463476956865.jpg

Matt Bedford
The Canberra Raiders will be without Shaun Fensom when they take on the Warriors this weekend.

In a National Rugby League match where defence will play a vital role, the Canberra Raiders will be without their top tackler.

The Canberra side meet the Warriors in the first ever NRL match to be played in Taranaki this weekend and were hungry for a win after a heart breaking golden point loss to the St George Illawarra Dragons last weekend.

Canberra second rower Josh Papalii said the team needed to focus on their defensive output against the Warriors to get the result.

"I don't think the problem's our attack. I think it's our defence at the moment. We can score some points pretty quick, we've just got to fix our defence and I think we'll be alright."

The Raiders arrived in New Plymouth on Tuesday night to a powhiri at their hotel ahead of their match at Yarrow Stadium on Saturday night.

While they were impressed by the welcoming, Papalii said they knew they were in for a fight on Saturday.

"We definitely know we're in for something when there's a welcoming like that. It's a privilege and honour to be involved in this game."

However, the side will be without defensive work horse Shaun Fensom who was ruled out of the game with a shoulder injury, with 21-year-old Luke Bateman named at lock forward in his place.

"It's a massive loss for our team. He makes 50 tackles week in and week out and 20 carries per game as well. He's such a vital part of our middle field," Papalii said.

"We've trained together as a squad and when one goes down one's ready to go. Whoever's going to fill that spot on the weekend will definitely do a good job."

While Fensom was a big loss for the side, Raiders coach Ricky Stuart was confident Bateman would make the most of his opportunity.

"He's got a big job ahead of him but I wouldn't have him there if I wasn't confident in him."

Stuart said his side had suffered a couple of gut wrenching losses in extra time recently which had been disappointing for the side to endure.

"You've got to pick players up, you've got to pick the group up, not just look at the negatives but look at the positives that came out of the game as well."

However, the Warriors will also come into this weekend's game off a loss, going down 30-18 to the Penrith Panthers in Christchurch last weekend.

Stuart said he was expecting the New Zealand team to be hungry following the loss and would want to put put on a big show for the Taranaki crowd.

"We've had some difficulties with the Warriors over the last couple of seasons so we need to turn that around.

"I think it'll be a really good game of football for the locals here."

At A Glance

Team lists for the Warriors v the Canberra Raiders in New Plymouth on Saturday May 21.

Warriors: Tuimoala Lolohea, Jonathan Wright, Blake Ayshford, Matthew Allwood, David Fusitua, Thomas Leuluai, Shaun Johnson, Jacob Lillyman, Issac Luke, Ben Matulino, Bodene Thompson, Ryan Hoffman (c), Simon Mannering. Interchange (from): Jazz Tevaga, Sam Lisone, John Palavi, James Gavet, Toafofoa Sipley.

Raiders: Jack Wighton, Edrick Lee, Jarrod Croker (c), Joey Leilua, Jordan Rapana, Blake Austin, Aidan Sezer, Shannon Boyd, Josh Hodgson, Paul Vaughan, Josh Papalli, Elliott Whitehead, Luke Bateman. Interchange (from): Kurt Baptiste, Jeff Lima, Clay Priest, Joe Tapine, Sam Williams, Frank-Paul Nuuausala.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...r-fensomless-canberra-raiders-in-new-plymouth

Reactions: OMG

nzw

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 7, 2016
chch
Always hard to tell from the outside, maybe there's some logic I can't see, but I would have thought - and no offence to Thomas Leuluai - we urgently need to get the long-term Lolohea/Johnson combo bedded down, so I'd have played them 6/7 with Fusitua at full-back. Can't see the point of dropping Charlie Gubb, either, as a bit of mongrel against that handy Canberra pack wouldn't have gone amiss, plus he brings the crowd into play the way Tooks and Ali used to (maybe not so much in New Plymouth, but certainly at home). Starting Issac is a good move: I reckon he'll want to prove he's got the right to the run-on spot
Dropping Gubb is the 1s thing our coach has done right this year

Swanley

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 13, 2012
Tonbridge, Kent, UK
Now that team choice has done it ! ,not leaving anything to chance .......rather than hoping car wont start on Saturday for the trip to New Plymouth , have decided to slash the tyres on Friday night. :mad:
Make sure you do it wearing a warriors jersey and the police and your insurance company will have some sympathy!

• Haha
Reactions: ACT Warrior

Alexradisich

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 23, 2016
I think its about time Cappy noticed the big elephant in the room. Everyone can see where the season is headed with the team at hand

We have a number 6 in Leuluai which is ageing and definately had his best years behind him. Now unless he is a star studded 6 in which he isn't, why keep fielding a player when it is simply stopping the inevitable. Lolohea to 6 needs to happen

Now in regards to Fullback, assessing all 3 Fullbacks we have fielded this year. The clear standout in defensive stats in regards to performance is Fusitua.

I don't think I have seen Cappy stay with the same troops consecutively any 2 games this year.

I could comment about so much more, like the fact that our forward pack cannot play consistently good every game, when there is one job at hand "run forward, run hard"

Reactions: Defence

pompower

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Honestly? Aside from the presence of Lisone, Wright being the scapegoat and the positioning of Fusitua and Lolohea, I'm not seeing all that much to complain about. Tui is good at fullback and his ball playing skills plus Fusitua's finishing give us a good combination there. Ayshford has been good this season and Allwood has never been a let down when selected. Can see why nobody wants to see Wright play, but he's serviceable enough and I'm although I'm a big proponent of youth, I'm skeptical that throwing a rookie out there is going to make much of a difference on the pitch.

Pack looks fine. Leuluai might not be the best option at 6 but he adds toughness and (usually) a steady hand. Plus, Mannering back, Tevaga unlucky not to start, but all things considered it's not that bad a side.

Reactions: 3rdstriker

imallrin

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Cappy has just confirmed he is absolutely retarded for the following reasons:

1) Leaving LoLo at back and Fusi on wing, LoLo did nothing there, never has. He is either a wing or 6 (apparent long term plan of club), Fusi is a big body, had a blinder at back in attack and defence, played there for Tonga, doesn't touch ball against Panthers and Cappy can't see an issue with that.
2) Crazy eyes is just hopeless at 6, stifles the play, can't kick, overcalls Shaun Johnson, again I would have him not even in team (Jazz is the future so goodby tommy).
3) Lisone back in team already, weak!!!
4) Matalino starting and/or even in team, should have been dropped after a lack lustre performance against panthers when he should have played like a man possessed to make amends, just a lazy, unmotivated, big baby sack of shit

I just knew this would be the team picked, it's just ducking weak. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result - This is like Groundhog Day, try something new you dumb fuck, look at the dragons, you were expected to lose and won, looked like a genius, now you are expected to win with that lineup and we will get pumped, guess what you look like then?

If the raiders turn up on song and their huge forward pack is rolling this could be a horror story, Canberra are pretty flakey and don't travel well so who knows.

I also hate how the Aussie media go on about our big forward pack still, our forward pack is a fucking disgrace!!!

That's all I have, waste of energy thinking about it anymore, we never know if the Warriors will turn up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings