General NRL 2016 Round 1 - General Discussion

What game are you most looking forward to (besides the Warriors)?

• Eels vs Broncos

• Manly vs Bulldogs

• Raiders vs Panthers

• Cowboys vs Sharks

• Roosters vs Rabbitohs

• Titans vs Knights

• Storm vs Dragons

Results are only viewable after voting.
The Warriors could do no wrong by taking a leaf out of the Dogs playbook tonight, run hard straight direct lines, tackle in groups of 2-4, chase every kick hard & as a team, very simple but highly effective strategy

I liked what i saw from big Sam Kasiano tonight, he looks considerably fitter & trimmer than he has for a while, his impact from the bench, especially in the first half, was considerably effective IMO

I think Manly are going to learn an indisputable truth this season that us Kiwis fans have known for years

Foran > DCE

Last edited:
Just as a side note, I don't have Sky (my own personal boycott / crusade lol) so I watch the games online & I got the Channel 9 feed (I'm hearing you Sky peeps got Fox)

Just thought I'd share this wee pearler from Sterlo on Sam Kasiano ...

"I know it sounds strange to say, but I love a big man with soft hands" ... cue faint sound through the mic of Freddy absolutely pissing himself on the sideline :hilarious:

Last edited:
Just witnessed two professional, clinical, incredibly well coached performances. Our season just got very real even before we have kicked a ball in anger. Parramatta and Manly both recruited as well as we did with major signings, both have rookie coaches, and both got shown what significance a great coached side will do every week. Both sides got completely out coached, and for me the similarities are a bit too close to home. Feel again our downfall will be nothing to do with our players talent, but how the talent is harnessed, and like Parra and Manly we start well and truly behind the 8 ball because our coaching staff are still wearing nappies compared to Bennett, Hasler, Bellamy, McGuire and Robinson.Hoping Cappy is a very fast learner, and wise enough to seek help to do justice to a roster that deserves success.

Vancent

🫣
Contributor
let Manly be a warning to us....new combinations take a while to gel....we could be in a lot of pain the 1st few rounds...mental and physical!
Absolutely, was thinking the same thing watching Parra, and again tonight with Manly.

Less is more will get us through, forcing complex set plays is not a strategy for now for us.

Finally, I'm giving the whole Bunker play 12/10.

Just witnessed two professional, clinical, incredibly well coached performances. Our season just got very real even before we have kicked a ball in anger. Parramatta and Manly both recruited as well as we did with major signings, both have rookie coaches, and both got shown what significance a great coached side will do every week. Both sides got completely out coached, and for me the similarities are a bit too close to home. Feel again our downfall will be nothing to do with our players talent, but how the talent is harnessed, and like Parra and Manly we start well and truly behind the 8 ball because our coaching staff are still wearing nappies compared to Bennett, Hasler, Bellamy, McGuire and Robinson.Hoping Cappy is a very fast learner, and wise enough to seek help to do justice to a roster that deserves success.

Yeah that sounds sensible but then when has common sense ever come into play with NZ Warriors ? ;)

Seriously though your post does bring up some really good points so I'm glad our first game is up against a coach that just as inexperienced as we are or we would be really fucked. I still think we will win our first six games though ...

Loving this new NRL Bunker this season but the thing I love most about it is that we can now finally get to hear video ref decisions on why they made that call (similar to what we've seen in UK Super League). Can't wait for kick off tomorrow !

:)

Reactions: bruce

bruce

Contributor
Just witnessed two professional, clinical, incredibly well coached performances. Our season just got very real even before we have kicked a ball in anger. Parramatta and Manly both recruited as well as we did with major signings, both have rookie Coaches, and both got shown what significance a great coached side will do every week. Both sides got completely out coached, and for me the similarities are a bit too close to home. Feel again our downfall will be nothing to do with our players talent, but how the talent is harnessed, and like Parra and Manly we start well and truly behind the 8 ball because our coaching staff are still wearing nappies compared to Bennett, Hasler, Bellamy, McGuire and Robinson.Hoping Cappy is a very fast learner, and wise enough to seek help to do justice to a roster that deserves success.
Who would be JD right now?

Sorry Mtd I beg to differ. Warriors biggest problem has always been lack of fitness which leads to brain explosions and FUMBLE FINGERS.
Every mistake, penalty, dropped ball, sloppy play the ball etc means more defence (and our team has never been renowned for its defensive prowess) which leads to more mistakes.
A coach is not on the field with the guys and I'm sure he tries to pick a team which will limit the errors, cut out the errors and we will shine.

Sorry Mtd I beg to differ. Warriors biggest problem has always been lack of fitness which leads to brain explosions and FUMBLE FINGERS.
Every mistake, penalty, dropped ball, sloppy play the ball etc means more defence (and our team has never been renowned for its defensive prowess) which leads to more mistakes.
A coach is not on the field with the guys and I'm sure he tries to pick a team which will limit the errors, cut out the errors and we will shine.
Sorry Freddie Futler I beg to differ. All of the above errors are primarily for the coach to eradicate from players games, hence having a coach. And if players repeat these errors under pressure you drop them, and bring in players who play to your game plan. You don't see Wayne Bennett, Des Hasler putting up with these errors from players, they would, and we should be playing with 17 players that can follow a game plan and don't crack under pressure. This is the coaches responsibility to choose a side that can execute what he believes will win games. Unfortunately for a coach, a sides performance is a reflection on their ability to coach, select ,motivate and implement a winning strategy on game day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harlz
Doggie defence is on point.
Just like the Broncos.

Eels will get better.
Manly will take longer.

Manly bench were enthusiastic with Vave and Lussick.
Needed Blake leary from kick off.
Leary is a workhorse which they did not have.
Myles was a shadow of himself, think he saves it for Origin.
Nate Green was a passenger.
Kapow was only there in glimpses.

Lewis Brown and Jake Trobjevic. were the only forwards who could walk of with there heads held high.

Back line was cake.

Last edited: