Post Match NRL 2016 - Rnd 7 - Bulldogs vs Warriors Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Tuimoala Lolohea's rating. 0=Horrible 10=Legend

Results are only viewable after voting.

Selector

Happy with the win. Thought Johnson's general kicking game was superb. Hopefully he stays at 7 for the rest of the season. And it's curtains for Robson. Left edge defence is still a concoern, Kata badly exposed. The back row is better balanced when Thompson plays allows Mannering to the middle and to make 50+ tackles in the game.

Same team next week please with Gubb replaced by Vete. And Vatuvei replacing Wright if he's over his injury.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
wallacenz

wallacenz

Best performance by the Warriors this year, they defended well against one of the better teams in the comp and they had some penetration on attack.

This team always looks better when Thompson is playing, Shaun Johnson went well today too (apart from the goal kicking)

Reactions: 7 users
fanrrior

fanrrior

Now that the honeymoon period seems to be over for Gubb, anyone else getting a Steve Rapira vibe from him?

ryno

ryno

I know I gave Ayshford a bit of shit to start the season but he has been a fucking rock for this team on the right side.

Im so glad they put Fusitua outside him, hes going to learn a lot especially on the defensive side.

Reactions: 37 users
Boats n Hoes

Boats n Hoes

First and foremost hats off to the pack. After being bitch slapped by Manly boppa's last week, the fear was there that the Doggies giants would wipe the floor with us.....not the case (although the impact of Kasiano/Graham 25 in was telling). Lisone, Thompson, Lillyman I thought were very strong tonight.

Shaun Johnson back at first receiver I thought the other telling factor.....the more he's involved the better....not just the try assists but I thought he bought a good game management to the park and a top class kicking game (not including conversions)

Tui's such a threat wherever he is, tho hopefully Roger Tuivasa-Sheck on crutches was just precautionary

Left hand defence tho....just absolutely shocking. If we had lost that match....Leuluai, Hoffman, Kata, Wright....should have been hauled up in front of the wall. I don't know what's happening there, they don't slide, they plant their feet, they lose numbers, come out of the line when not needed, communication appears non existant....and its been happening all season.....cmon Justin Morgan....this is what your paid to fix

Glad for the win though, keeps us in it.....pretty gutsy really, well done boys.

Reactions: 8 users
Jay M

Jay M

Quick post here, but will post a longer one tomorrow.

Our attack looked completely different tonight. Point of attack changed. Shaun Johnson was in control and running. Shaun Johnson was popping up on the left. Lolohea and Leuluai were popping up on the right. Is this the end of split halves? Forwards were allowed to play.

Right edge and middle defence were great. Bodene adds so much more as an option on attack (versus Mannering on that right edge). Mannering adds so much in the middle defence wise.

Shaun Johnson had a great defensive game tonight (on first watch anyway). Given Fusitua is a turnstile, Shaun Johnson, Bodene and Ayshford did VERY well.

Lolohea was ok as five eighth for 15 minutes - basically playing as a second fullback. Looked good when he went back to fullback. Wright had a good game.

Left edge defence sucks.

Man of match? Torn. Shaun Johnson as leading half, Mannering/Thompson as defensive geniuses, Lolohea as fullback, Matulino or Lisone for that first 20 minutes which set the tone and kept us in the game. All deserve mention.

Good night, time for another few reds and the next game.

Reactions: 4 users
Diesel

Diesel

Watching the Storm v Bulldogs game on Monday I gave us no chance against either team. Next Monday we could very well be on a two game winning streak after this effort

Reactions: 2 users
STEEDEN

STEEDEN

No more Gubb thanks Cappy,
Brodene welcome back mate we missed you,
Fusitua looked good out there for someone who has had so long out of the game.
Tui was the best player on the field tonight IMO
Wasn't it good to see the boys play with some passion and really want the win.
The trick is I suppose, to do it next week and every week after that

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
rugged

rugged

Johnson was superb tonight. Great to see him with plenty of ball, setting up his outsides and not overplaying his hand.

Jordan G

Ligi was an absolute waste of a bench spot, did nothing but almost lost us the game. How good was Bodene and even the bull had a solid knock

When was the last time a forward came on getting close to midway through the second half for their first stint and actually made a difference? I hate the tactic. If anything it will more often backfire because the player will come on and try too hard to make a difference.

There were too many positives from the game to get hung up on that though. Gubb should be the one who's a little worried, and it's going to be interesting to see what happens when Manu is fit. Wright hasn't done much wrong, but you could see that Fusitua brought something extra to the team in attack (but wasn't really tested too much on defense so jury's out still).

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Love it. They took the handbrake off. Lolohea off the wing, Fusitua on the wing, and letting Sam Lisone play ball. I think it took Cunterbury by surprise and got them off their rhythm. Shaun Johnson was awesome, he needs to consistently play like that - three ripping try assists and an outstanding kicking game.

I agreed with the Fox Sports team, imagine if Cappy had have shown some balls and actually let Shaun Johnson, Luke, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Lolohea train in the offseason and start in round 1 in their positions. The Robson move is so baffling. He barely ever kicked to take pressure off Johnson, and his defence was straight out dreadful. So I'm not sure what on earth Cappy ever thought he'd get out of it. As much as saying the Warriors d was shocking, Robson, the so called solid man was horrific in his reads.

I will though say Blake Ayshford is going well.

Most importantly, I hope Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is ok. We need that combination back together quickly. It is lethal.

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Oh and also, a big FU to the touchie - the pass from Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to Kata was 3 metres backwards. Worst part of it was Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was basically facing his own goal line and propelled it further that way. Dreadful error from that punk. Send him to OPSM, absolute twat.

Reactions: 21 users

Jordan G

Just realised we're going to finish this round equal 8th regardless of what happens. Things are already getting very congested.

Jordan G

Oh and also, a big FU to the touchie - the pass from Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to Kata was 3 metres backwards. Worst part of it was Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was basically facing his own goal line and propelled it further that way. Dreadful error from that punk. Send him to OPSM, absolute twat.

It was the same touchie who allowed Hopoate to propel the ball forward going for an intercept, Ayshford then touches it, Hopoate regathers - play on. think he had a couple of dollars on the Dogs.

Reactions: 7 users