Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Tuimoala Lolohea's rating. 0=Horrible 10=Legend

Results are only viewable after voting.
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Administrator
It really doesn't matter whether the Dogs played poorly or not. Who decides whether they played poorly or we played well? Opinion, heresay and innuendo. lol. Popular cliché that you only play as well as the opposition lets you. Read about it in the papers, we won by 24-20 and that's two points in the bank.
Might be different next week against the Storm and rightfully criticism will be warranted. Bit of kudos for a win against what is possibly a top 4 four side is due.

I quote, " Good sides rely on their defence" Well, last night ours was better than theirs and funnily enough, on the Bluey scale of success, we scored more points than them.

We didn't rely on our defence, we relied on the fact that we'd outscore them, which we did...so yeah kudos for doing that. But it was hardly the performance of a defensively sound side. Some of their tries were pretty soft, which is just the norm for this Warriors side. The lowest number of points we've conceded is 18, and that was against the worst team in the competition. That's not a good stat for a side with top 6 aspirations. Melbourne aren't exactly playing free flowing, high scoring football at present either, but I'd be happy to bet they'll put 20+ on us based on what I've seen from this side so far.

gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Two questions:

Is it ok for Manu to text/use his phone in the changing room when the Warriors are playing? Comes across as the game not being very important. Raises the issue of going to the movies again like he did last year.

Is there a reason why Cappy waits until the 55th minute or so to use his last sub, first Hurrell, and now Sao? Gets them oriented into the game late, and wastes using them in the 30th minute or so when they could get a rest period at halftime. Would save an interchange.
as Manu isnt on the field, or any chance of going on the field im pretty sure he didnt affect the outcome of the game by using his phone. For all you know he was talking to his misses who was asking how Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was. You people read way to much into nothing. For fuck sake he was in the changing room with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, not geared up ready to take the field. Stop looking to blame someone for something they havent done.

Reactions: 3 users

Old Sid

Way too many smart comments on here...we haven't turned the corner, lets see what happens next week, blah blah. Some folks are starting to sound like Braith Anasta!

I travelled with my family for this one from Auckalnd. The boys put in a huge effort in spite of some tough calls again, and losing Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. Isn't that what we asked them to do after last week??

There was a marked improvement in key areas, Shaun, our forwards, attacking play, goal-line defence. Lolo was huge, Tommy L and Bodine had great games, as did Lisone and Lillyman. Good on Cappy and the coaches for the right game plan.

Short turnaround and travel, my arse. We have to do it every other week and often not in a single flight. Yes, it's a pain waiting 2 hrs each way at airports, standing in the security line, and again in customs, then perhaps a domenstic flight on top. Send us to Central Coast, to Perth, as well as the usual out of main flight venues like Newcastle, Canberra, Cowboys.

Let's take it for what it was, a great game played better by the deserved winning team. The boys will take a lot of confidence into the Storm game. Let's see if they can back up. If Storm play like they did today, there's no reason we can't bring 2 points back.

Thanks for a nice weekend boyz and a much better week at work ahead.

Fingers crossed for Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and a short fix time.

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users

kiwi's 13-6

I was sitting about 20 meters or so away from the fella with mental disability wearing the St Helens jersey at half time he called out to James Graham as he was walking of the field Graham stopped pointed back at him waived and gave him thumbs up, i thought that alone was pretty cool. Ive just seen the Photo on here of Graham giving the guy his jersey after the game man thats really cool of the dude.

Reactions: 9 users
Raurimu Massive

Raurimu Massive

With our left edge defence being mostly poor (and in the case of the Bulldogs' first try, literally non-existent), we constantly hear that it's because of players being drawn in from the fringe when tackles are missed yadayadayada... I'm wondering just how much of it is because of a lack of support for an inexperienced centre on that side.

Not wailing 'pon Kata, cos he's playing pretty damned well with the ball in hand, and he is definitely growing into his position, but I get the impression that on defence he's left to make decisions on his own, and that's not good enough with his lack of experience. You can do all the training and analysis you like midweek to help him learn, but in-game it's going to be totally different. Having the defensively lacking Manu outside him will have done him nothing but harm in this respect.

If Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is out for a few weeks, logically we'll end up with Lolo at fullback, Lulu at #6 - here's hoping that Lulu's experience will help Kata, but dare I say that Cappy would be better leaving Wright on that wing while Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is out so that Kata has the benefit of a few games with defensively sound players either side of him?

Miket12

Miket12

Gotta love how some in the NZ media report on the Warriors - offering up the excuse that the Bulldogs lost because they had a five day turn around and had to fly trans-Tasman to play.

Firstly, up to 13 times a year, the Warriors fly trans-Tasman and frequently with a five day turn around - and a lot of times it's not just one direct flight to where they're playing. We've had five day turn around's and been expected to play in Perth after mid-night our time.
Secondly, it was the Bulldogs who decided that this was their "away" home game - they choose to play it in Wellington knowing they were playing in Melbourne five days earlier.

I've looked at a number of reports from Aussie media outlets and not one of them has used this as an excuse - but that hasn't stopped CRattue:

7) The Warriors got lucky

Okay. That's a bit harsh. Give them some credit. Congratulations to Andrew McFadden and co. for a vital victory under pressure. But the Bulldogs played into their hands, taking a home game to Wellington on a five-day turnaround.

But then he thinks Brandy is the best pundit around too:

10) Greg Alexander....

...is the best TV pundit from any of the footy codes. Alexander has a more prominent role on New Zealand screens, with the way the NRL league rights have been split up. The former Warrior is refreshingly sharp and insightful. What's more, he doesn't trip over his tongue which is not something you can say about all of the league commentators.

As my own little protest at the media group he works for not linking through to the mt.wellington's jersey pictures for their article today, I'm breaking this sites rules and not providing a link to them. Petty, I know but stuff them!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Raurimu Massive

Raurimu Massive

Greg Alexander....

...is the best TV pundit from any of the footy codes.
Has there ever been a bigger call made than this? From any of the footy codes? So if we just cut things down to NZ and Aussie, out of League, Union, Aussie Rules, and just good ole Football, Brandy Alexander is the best TV pundit. The best. Of ALL.

Rattue obviously pops acid before he writes.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

6 Again

I was sitting about 20 meters or so away from the fella with mental disability wearing the St Helens jersey at half time he called out to James Graham as he was walking of the field Graham stopped pointed back at him waived and gave him thumbs up, i thought that alone was pretty cool. Ive just seen the Photo on here of Graham giving the guy his jersey after the game man thats really cool of the dude.

Might be telling pork pies there fella ... Graham would never point at someone ;)

Jay M

Jay M

Going back to the discussion from gameday... Receives stats for Shaun Johnson vs Robson in the first six rounds.

Round 6 Shaun Johnson 44, Robson 46
Round 5 Shaun Johnson 48 Robson, 47
Round 4 Shaun Johnson 52, Robson 46
Round 3 Shaun Johnson 47, Robson 48
Round 2 Shaun Johnson 62, Robson 43 (and no that's not a typo at 62)
Round 1 Shaun Johnson 42, Robson 42

What that tells me is two things... We really were playing split halves (with the exception of the Broncos game - it was pretty even all up). But given that Shaun Johnson had kicked so many more times than Robson in rounds 1-6... Robson was probably getting the ball more when we were running it, and Shaun Johnson's receives seemed higher because he was leading the kicking game.

Shaun Johnson got the ball 59 times on the weekend. And ran a lot more...

The structures really did look completely different (watched the replay yesterday). Shaun Johnson was getting the ball anywhere he wanted it, was popping up everywhere. Leuluai and Lolohea both popped up on the right from time to time as well. and the forwards actually played like they had aggression... (big ups to Lisone, Matulino and Lillyman for laying a platform. And Thompson/Mannering both did acres and acres of work).

diehard

as Manu isnt on the field, or any chance of going on the field im pretty sure he didnt affect the outcome of the game by using his phone. For all you know he was talking to his misses who was asking how Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was. You people read way to much into nothing. For fuck sake he was in the changing room with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, not geared up ready to take the field. Stop looking to blame someone for something they havent done.
I guess my issue is that the Warriors fans are very interested in the game, while Manu is interested in his phone. Not a good look. Even Halligan pointed it out. So that's at least two of us not liking it.

diehard

1) As everyone mentioned, I looked at the replay again and again, and it wasn't even close the forward pass that was called that denied Kata a try. Did they go to the bunker?

2) On the Dogs try where Lulu tipped him over the line, the replay shows that Lulu was clearly pushed as he was going to defend the line. I know that one went to the bunker, but can't believe they missed the push.

Miket12

Miket12

1) As everyone mentioned, I looked at the replay again and again, and it wasn't even close the forward pass that was called that denied Kata a try. Did they go to the bunker?

2) On the Dogs try where Lulu tipped him over the line, the replay shows that Lulu was clearly pushed as he was going to defend the line. I know that one went to the bunker, but can't believe they missed the push.
The bunker can't rule on forward passes - it's to do with camera angles. Of course, the ref, who 99% of the time isn't straight on so is also affected by angles, does. Something I'd like to see changed and allow the bunker to be able to rule on them.

gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
I guess my issue is that the Warriors fans are very interested in the game, while Manu is interested in his phone. Not a good look. Even Halligan pointed it out. So that's at least two of us not liking it.
And my point is u dont know whats being said or by who. What if it was from one of the support staff in auckland asking Manu how Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is after coming off, would that be ok or is it still a bad look?

Manu is a player not playing, not a paid spectator. Holding him to some imaginary standard is nuts.

Reactions: 1 user
Fazz

Fazz

Has there ever been a bigger call made than this? From any of the footy codes? So if we just cut things down to NZ and Aussie, out of League, Union, Aussie Rules, and just good ole Football, Brandy Alexander is the best TV pundit. The best. Of ALL.

Rattue obviously pops acid before he writes.

Also there's the fact that Alexander, even ignoring his blind Warrior hatred, is TERRIBLE.

But whatever, fuck the Herald. They're just trolls at this point. They just posted a massive anti MMA article too.

hman

hman

As much as we like Gubb's energy, his tackling style actually gives us less time to get onside. Because he tackles low, it means the runners are hitting the ground quickly, with the ruck being sped up, it means we have less time to reload onside. Perfect union technique, however not preferred for league I reckon.
I love his tackling technique (except those misses last week though).

I hate seeing the first two tacklers in hit high and still get driven back a few yards before the 3rd man wraps the legs.

This technique requires 3 men and most of the time they still get a roll on as they pump out a few more yards. Gubbs technique requires only 2 men. Gubb hits low wrapping the legs with the 2nd guy in coming over the top and putting him on his back. No more pumping out a few extra yards on contact.

It's a thing of beauty seeing a guys momentum falling forward as his legs are taken from under him, then to be suddenly almost bent back in two, as the next guy comes in over the top and puts him on his backside. The bloke doesn't know what's hit him because people don't tackle like this anymore.

I especially like it when Gubb chases hard from marker and takes out their legs. Stops the other team rumbling forward with that play.

Gubb just needs a few tweaks to get it right. He went way too kamakaze style last week.

I noticed a few times over the last few weeks where a couple of the other Warrior boys pulled off the low tackle.

Hopefully we may see the resurgence of the copy book tackle. Could be the death of the wrestle.

Miket12

Miket12

And my point is u dont know whats being said or by who. What if it was from one of the support staff in auckland asking Manu how Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is after coming off, would that be ok or is it still a bad look?

Manu is a player not playing, not a paid spectator. Holding him to some imaginary standard is nuts.
Manu also attends church on Sunday nights when he's either not playing or not required to be with the team. The infamous movie he attended at the end of last year was a church sponsored movie shown at a movie theatre Life church in Auckland hired for the night instead of using their regular building. How do I know? My brother attends the same church and saw Manu there.

Reactions: 2 users