Post Match NRL 2016 - Rnd 4 - Warriors vs Knights Post Match Discussion

minute

01 Jan 1970 12:00 PM

Match Stats

Player Statistics

# Player T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Player Statistics

# Player T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Was Konrad Hurrell the right person for the bench?

• Yes

• Unsure

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
Players looked much happier today running in tries if we came out in the first half like we did in the 2nd half we probably could've scored 60 points easily today.
It's like the players just don't get it. 2nd half versus Tigers and for long periods in the other games against Broncos and Storm, defend, roll through the middle first and opportunities will come for the backs to shine. Yet for most of the first half (and mentioned by the opposition as well) we were going sideways first and not getting anywhere and making it easier for the Knights to defend us. Even on restarts after a penalty we go backline move first and then we sort of lose shape.

I hope they click sooner rather than later.

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Caught the game late but boy did i(and I'm sure many other long suffering fans) need that! It wasn't perfect but I really don't give a shit it's a win!

goku

goku

Am I alone in wondering how Mannering could have been ruled to have caused obstruction to a defender he was around 5 metres away from and made no contact with, the defender was around 10 metres away from the ball carrier, and 15 metres away from the Warrior who recieved the pass. There's not a player alive or dead or yet to be born who could have had a legitimate chance at making a tackle there.

On Friday night, the Cowboys had a try disallowed for obstruction... a technicality that had Thurston telling the ref that surely common sense needs to be used in these decisions. After the call against Mannering, I'm begging for any kind of sense to be used. They say that these matters have to be black or white, but if you must apply a colour to these two decisions, it'd have to be brown.

They probably could have called Gagai's try an obstruction surely?

Paleaaesina2the20

Paleaaesina2the20

One thing that needs to change is when we have the other team on the ropes and get a penalty, then we stand around while Shaun Johnson has a breather then recites the entire game plan and eventually kicks the ball sideways into touch. Get the penalty, make sure everyone is on side and kick as soon as the ref lets you, and actually try and get them really running back (I am aware he has missed touch on a couple of occasions but that was due to lack of focus rather than trying to bite off too much distance IMO), there is ample time to call plays once you kick it, unless our plays take 20 seconds to say, which would explain a lot.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Am I alone in wondering how Mannering could have been ruled to have caused obstruction to a defender he was around 5 metres away from and made no contact with, the defender was around 10 metres away from the ball carrier, and 15 metres away from the Warrior who recieved the pass. There's not a player alive or dead or yet to be born who could have had a legitimate chance at making a tackle there.
I agree. It is getting stupid. They say if you receive the ball on the inside shoulder it is obstruction, obstruction of just who should be the question.

facefacts

I agree. It is getting stupid. They say if you receive the ball on the inside shoulder it is obstruction, obstruction of just who should be the question.

They have to make it black and white otherwise they would have teams and media making constant comparisons with other calls from different games...the refs would get hammered for being inconsistent. ..it's pretty simple I guess, if you have the ball, dont run behind your own player.

Last edited:
Freddie Futler

Freddie Futler

Players looked much happier today running in tries if we came out in the first half like we did in the 2nd half we probably could've scored 60 points easily today.
I thought we did come out fired up in the first half? Scored a try within three minutes and then the ref started hammering us and then the mistakes started.

Completion rate of only 70% is of concern and still a lot of mistakes but we are getting there.

Raurimu Massive

Raurimu Massive

They have to make it black and white otherwise they would have teams and media making constant comparisons with other calls from different games...the refs would hammered for being inconsistent. ..it's pretty simple I guess, if you have the ball, dont run behind your own player.
There has to be other factors taken into account though, like distance between players, player speed, angle of runs etc. That's always going to done on an arbitrary basis, so the obstruction rules cannot be clear cut and black/white. Technically, the block play is as obstructive as an actual obstruction, but it's a legitimate tactic, and is used constantly because the ball is passed behind instead of run behind. They need to sort this out, or it's going to become an utter joke.

MarkW

MarkW

It was a win. We just needed a win and we got one.

But seriously, how bad are the Knights this year? I think the defining moment for their defence was when Shaun Johnson skipped sideways past FIVE of them on their goal-line to dot down in the corner. That was flat out embarrassing - I almost felt sorry for their fans... almost.

snake77

snake77

On Friday night, the Cowboys had a try disallowed for obstruction... a technicality that had Thurston telling the ref that surely common sense needs to be used in these decisions. After the call against Mannering, I'm begging for any kind of sense to be used. They say that these matters have to be black or white, but if you must apply a colour to these two decisions, it'd have to be brown.
I'd like to bitch about that ruling as it seems stupid. But we were saved by it last week against the Storm which if it was ruled their way it probably would have put the game out of reach. The ruling yesterday did highlight one of the criticisms of our attach this year. All of our plays are performed to far back from the opposition; they just need to let us to our thing 5 metres back with our block or cut out plays and tackle the guy who ends up with the ball. If it was done closer to the defensive line it would be more effective and more a case of was the defender obstructed or not.

After those two disallowed tries I was wandering where our tries would come from and it could be a frustrating day. The way some clubs rely on the block runners no wander they get so upset with the video ref rulings on obstruction.

Reactions: bruce
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

A Knights fan brought up something interesting, was it obstruction when Kata ran behind his own players to get out of the in goal ?. A bit trainspotter but reasonable thought.

Afakasi247

Afakasi247

To be fair, the Knights were terrible.

But, we still let them score 18 points - 2 easy tries in the First Half (could have been worse - they had us on the ropes), and the typical Warriors let-off to close the game (only the warriors could lead by 28 points, make a mistake off the kickoff, and let the opposing team score off the scrum). Had a bloke behind me at the game put a bet on the Knights to score in that situation - and they did exactly that. Prick.

In saying that, for the first 10-15 mins in the first half, and for the majority of the 2nd half, that's the Warriors we have been expecting from the outset.
Looking dangerous through the middle, threatening out wide - draw and passing for both our centres, Mutts offloading into the hands of Bully, Shaun Johnson taking the line on, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck busy and chiming in......man that's what we need week-in-week-out.

Still a lot to improve on - completion rate, errors, tightening up our defense, playing for the full 80....boy am I just glad we finally won a game.

If we play with the intesity we had vs. the Broncos in that first half at Suncorp, and play with the confidence we had in the 2nd half vs. the Knights, we will absolutely make a meal of the Roosters this weekend.

The Warriors have arrived, ladies and gentleman.....atleast I hope they have.

Raurimu Massive

Raurimu Massive

The way some clubs rely on the block runners no wander they get so upset with the video ref rulings on obstruction.
Now that teams are using two block runners (which wont' be called obstruction, because block running is legit), we have a legal tactic that is more of an obstruction than a play like those we're talking about. Got to love it.

Dixpat

Dixpat

In Andy we (have to) trust
Contributor
Robson isn't a superstar player ...but I didn't think he was as bad as everyone is making out today. Yes he started pretty poorly with a dropped ball, dud pass and missed tackle in the first half but he was solid in the second half.

Agree - he is solidish without being spectacular and finding his feet in our structure

Funny how members make excuses for Luke [bad missed tackle in Newcastle's first try and Shaun Johnson [revolving door in their third] but from the day he was signed have consigned Robson to the rubbish tin

FAN

FAN

For the first time in like forever, I didn't bother watching the game. It had got to the point where I had had enough, and TBH couldn't care less.

Well fool me, because I saw the highlights late last night, and it seemed like a very good game. So well done to the team, thank god that monkey is off our back. I would like to think we should beat the Rosters this coming weekend, fingers crossed, but as Dave ( SUP 42 ) has said before, no game in the NRL is a given, and ain't that the truth.

Nice win, even though it was only the Knights, I'll take it with open arms, as I'm sure most of you will as well.

diehard

Didn't like Shauny J and Cappy rubbishing the Knights after the game. Sure, they're not going well, but we wouldn't like it if someone beat the Warriors and the winning team said, "not a good victory, they're just the Warriors." I don't think we have room to talk after losing 11 straight. Enjoy the victory boyz. Sure, you lost to good teams in the Storm and Bronco's, but you guys played well in the second half. Shauny J looked like Thurston out there running the team. What happens if Jazz continues to outplay Luke?

Dunedin warrior

I was happy enough with our performance, our halves were awful in the first half but bounced back well in the second half.

I thought our centres and wings were great all round yesterday, they usually cop it on a weekly basis so it's nice to be able to praise them, Kata had a great game on defence and Manu makes a huge difference carting the ball back and then a quick play the ball. Ayshford did everything that was asked of him and have been impressed with his option taking and building a good combination with Tui, will never be a world beater but definitely useful.

diehard

As someone else said, Robson was dreadful. Didn't kick once from memory. He's tough though. Maybe he can teach guys on the B team toughness and not skill?

Shauny J was solemn after the game. Don't think he likes the media much after the beating he took leading up to this game. Smile, Shauny J. Maybe the hoodoo is behind you now? Enjoy your footy.

Reactions: nzw