Post Match NRL 2016 - Rnd 4 - Warriors vs Knights Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Was Konrad Hurrell the right person for the bench?

• Yes

• Unsure

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Should call them the "AXE-Men"

Charlie Gubb;

0c0e492f2ad994f5bb40c541f3573d4f.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
On the Star Wars movies you often hear about a strange presence or feeling they haven't felt for a long time. Well after losing 11 games and not winning since June last year or whatever it was. I think I know how that feels.;)

ToiletDuck

Administrator
RTVS - Great game, ran hard all game and getting more involved on attack.
Manu - Thought he played well, a lot of typically strong carries out of our end.
Kata - Always looked threatening with ball in hand, a few jersey grabs on D as well as a couple of solid hits. He seems to be improving on last year.
Blayshford - Was relatively solid, scored a good try and set one up. Holds his place next week.
Tui - Was okay too. Getting involved on attack.
Shaun Johnson - Taking the ball to the line which was pleasing, looked dangerous at times. Some awful kicks though, and he continues to kick the ball about 5m forward when kicking for touch on penalties which is so frustrating to watch.
Robson - Awful. I am not a TL fan but surely Robson has to be dropped when TL returns.
Lillyman - If he makes Origin this year I will be incredibly surprised.
Luke - Rubbish. His first stint made Tevaga look like a superstar, such was the difference between the two. He was aimless with his running, if he ran at all, service was very average and that missed tackle on Mataora was just appalling.
Matulino - Awful attempt at a tackle on Mataora but a good game from him otherwise, always bent the line and a few good offloads.
Simon - Quieter than usual, tried hard though
Hoffman - Barely noticed he was on the field in first half. Looked better in 2nd half when some space opened up in front of him.
Vete - Runs hard but like Lillyman seems to get stopped very easily at the line and goes to ground almost immediately. Not sure where he fits in overall.

Tevaga - Good outing for his 2nd game. Looked better than Luke.
Gubb - Really ups the aggression levels which turned the game for us. Needs to hold his spot in the side.
Lisone - Got into the game after his initial injury, good leg speed and hopefully he can start using his footwork and ball handling with more time on the field.
Konrad - Looked slow. Ran hard but looked pretty ineffective. Not sure I saw anything that demands inclusion next week.

Overall I wasn't overly impressed. Predicted a biggish win and we got that, as we should against the Knights. First half was as bad as I have seen from a league side in years. Our structures looked woeful, and for a time I thought the Knights might actually run away with it. Robson and Luke were particularly poor, especially for players with their experience. A few encouraging signs but if we produce that against any half competent side then we'll get thrashed.

Reactions: 5 users

Jordan G

Cappy Press Conference highlights

Thought we played better last week despite the loss, but we needed to win and found a way to do so.

Apparently Cappy was very "direct" about what he wanted from at halftime. sounds like Cappy gave it to them.

Hoffman believes the attack was a direct result of our defense

Hoffy praise for Kata/manu getting us out of trouble and taking the ball up hard and then the forwards backed them up in defense.

Cappy thought our effort was still a little inconsistent and we need to keep working at that

On selections, Mannering is an accomplished edge back rower and he felt comfortable with Gubb getting extra minutes in the middle

Luke will get better. Just needs more of a run.

Wants to question the obstruction rule and it shouldn't be a black and white rule. Thought we were lucky against the Storm for the same thing last week and this week felt nobody was obstructed.

We had a lot of interchanges left because of getting the free interchange for the foul play.

Was happy with the energy Hurrell showed when he came on.

Kata with a slight knee injury, Vete wth some shin soreness, but they don't think anything is too serious

Hoffman again - poor in the first half, got a rev at halftime, and came out and showed aggression on both sides of the ball before dropping off a little in the last 10-15.

Hoffy - probably too much back patting after the first try instead of knuckling down.

Cappy - Every team needs a rev up now and again and after 2 tough games against very good sides we needed it this week.

Why would you put TL straight into the starting line up, he hasn't played for a year and we have just won our first game in almost a year. It's only four weeks ago Benry went straight back in after a year off with a knee injury and already some are saying lets try that fuck up again.
So that's most likely what we'll do.;)

You raise a good point and it will be interesting to see what they will do. Last time TL came back from a long injury we had a similar debate. I know the club is really high on him in terms of leadership but with the reduced interchange do we want to bring someone straight back in after a long injury? Might be better to get a run in the ISP (NSW Cup) side.

The two guys that have taken the utility or bench dummy half spot this year in Roache and Tevaga have added some spark to the side when they have been on. So the selection will be interesting.

Reactions: 2 users
Why would you put TL straight into the starting line up, he hasn't played for a year and we have just won our first game in almost a year. It's only four weeks ago Benry went straight back in after a year off with a knee injury and already some are saying lets try that fuck up again.
perhaps you haven't seen how shit the old bald fuck is.

Reactions: 3 users

Jordan G

Overall I wasn't overly impressed. Predicted a biggish win and we got that, as we should against the Knights. First half was as bad as I have seen from a league side in years. Our structures looked woeful, and for a time I thought the Knights might actually run away with it. Robson and Luke were particularly poor, especially for players with their experience. A few encouraging signs but if we produce that against any half competent side then we'll get thrashed.

Let's call it what it is - It was the Tigers game without the first half punishment.

First game I miss watching this season and the team wins.

Based on comments posted it looks like Robson was poor again. Based on those comments I feel compelled to give McFadden some advise, words of wisdom if you will. There's a reason why the Eels and the Sharks never won a premiership with Robson as their halfback, it's because to put it midly he's awful and nothing but a plodder.

Clunky performance, timing is still off but getting better. Some poor misses amongst some dominant defence. Good win with plenty to work on, minimal injuries, good position to be in. They have to start how they played that 2nd half.

First game I miss watching this season and the team wins.

Based on comments posted it looks like Robson was poor again. Based on those comments I feel compelled to give McFadden some advise, words of wisdom if you will. There's a reason why the Eels and the Sharks never won a premiership with Robson as their halfback, it's because to put it midly he's awful and nothing but a plodder.

Pretty sure most of the forum was saying Ayshford was nothing but a plodder as as well...probably the same ones who thought Neilson was a great signing.

Reactions: 1 user

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Pretty sure most of the forum was saying Ayshford was nothing but a plodder as as well...probably the same ones who thought Neilson was a great signing.

Don't think I was one of the ones bagging him, but ayshford is really growing on me, I want us to re-sign him now, shouldn't get all excited over a draw and pass, but when it's done correctly, it makes a real nice change. His edge isn't under as nearly much pressure because of the real plodder...

... Robo, he does well in the first try, then has a horror show for the next 30 minutes, cappy really needs to take him out back and put the old guy down, Father Time has caught up to him and he weren't much good to begin with.

But he probably wouldn't insert tui for 2 weeks and then take him out again for TL so it's cross fingers Robo dosent kill us in the mean time, Ferguson and roosters might score all their points through his channel next week.

Well done to Vete in particular, he really started the 2nd half with some aggression, esp in defence, the rest of them caught on, got some luck (due some luck after those no try calls, devcich had a wee bet on the Knights I think, he tried to make them check a run around for obstruction FFS).

Shows that effort dosent really = wins and losses, better effort last week went unrewarded, played great for 15 minutes right after halftime, very very average the rest of the time and win by 20+

Reactions: 2 users