Post Match NRL 2016 - Rnd 4 - Warriors vs Knights Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Was Konrad Hurrell the right person for the bench?

• Yes

• Unsure

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Am I alone in wondering how Mannering could have been ruled to have caused obstruction to a defender he was around 5 metres away from and made no contact with, the defender was around 10 metres away from the ball carrier, and 15 metres away from the Warrior who recieved the pass. There's not a player alive or dead or yet to be born who could have had a legitimate chance at making a tackle there.

On Friday night, the Cowboys had a try disallowed for obstruction... a technicality that had Thurston telling the ref that surely common sense needs to be used in these decisions. After the call against Mannering, I'm begging for any kind of sense to be used. They say that these matters have to be black or white, but if you must apply a colour to these two decisions, it'd have to be brown.

Same thing happened to the Storm against us. I don't even know if it's possible to time the sweeps so you are outside the lead runner.

On top of this I had a question about "Round the back plays" where the receiver is well inside the person with the ball. It's still deception so why isn't that punished.

Ruling on moves like these with a Black and White interpretation actually diminishes the product by not allowing legitimate plays to unfold

Yip, because all conversations in clubs about who teams are after occur in the media and are known by all the fans.

On the same basis, Slater must be a useless player because we don't hear all the other clubs going after him. Or is that, just like with Manu, contracts are signed to retain top players before they hit the market.

And, of course, you've spoken to Manu or his agent and know for a fact that no other club has ever expressed the slightest bit of interest in him.

They aren't going to chase Slater if he doesn't tell his agent to test the market, he has always said he wants to play out his career at the Storm and will only look elsewhere if they couldn't come to terms...Vatuvei not only tested the market he even tried the old i'm looking at rugby union angle, and what happened?

*Crickets...the silence was deafening, not even a fan rumour. You'd think with all the idiots they have across the Tasman there would be at least one 'recruit Vatuvei! campaign.

I guess Johns and Bennett missed the memo.

Reactions: Sup42
Good win . . . . FINALLY. And the boys needed a build up game like that against a opposition that are too struggling to find form. That Jazz guy is something. I thought the team had it all sorted with the Luke signing but this Jazz guy has Kiwi jumper all over him! Hes a mini Luke! Luke can guild this guy around and the Warriors will be better for it for years to come in the hooker position.

They aren't going to chase Slater if he doesn't tell his agent to test the market, he has always said he wants to play out his career at the Storm and will only look elsewhere if they couldn't come to terms...Vatuvei not only tested the market he even tried the old i'm looking at rugby union angle, and what happened?

*Crickets...the silence was deafening, not even a fan rumour. You'd think with all the idiots they have across the Tasman there would be at least one 'recruit Vatuvei! campaign.

I guess Johns and Bennett missed the memo.
You can't even get this right - Manu wasn't looked at by union - he said he would have considered offers from union if he wasn't wanted by the Warriors. That's a totally different situation from what you're fantasising happened.

The Herald

"I'm so grateful to the club for giving me the chance to stay here this long," Vatuvei said as the deal was confirmed on Wednesday.

"My manager Pete (Peter Brown) looked at some other options including rugby union but I wanted stay to at the Warriors. It has always been my vision growing up at the club to be a Warrior for life.

"I want to thank everyone who has helped me along the way, the players, the coaches, the staff and all the members and fans who have given me so much support through the years.

"I'm really pleased to have this contract and I'll do everything I can to repay the faith the club has shown in me."

Warriors managing director Jim Doyle said it was critical the club retained Vatuvei.

"Manu is so important in an all-round sense to the Vodafone Warriors," Doyle said.

"He's exceptionally popular with everyone inside and outside the club. We value what he means for us and what he also means to rugby league."

Stuff

Vatuvei, who was off-contract at the end of this season, had been the subject of much speculation about his future with his manager Peter Brown fielding expressions of interest from other NRL clubs, English Super League clubs and also from rugby union.

“Having my contract sorted out is a big relief. Now I can concentrate totally on the Bulldogs in Wellington this weekend,” Vatuvei said today.

“My heart is always here at the Warriors and always will be.

“It’s where I wanted to stay and so did my family so I couldn’t be happier it has worked out this way.

“I love this club, the players, coaches, staff and members and all they mean to me and to my family. They do so much for us.

“At this stage of my career, we looked at other options but remaining with the Warriors was what we wanted.

Maori TV
Manu Vatuvei said “Mymanager Pete (Peter Brown) looked at some other options including rugby union but I wanted stay to at the Vodafone Warriors. It has always been my vision growing up at the club to be a Warrior for life. I want to thank everyone who has helped me along the way, the players, the coaches, the staff and all the members and fans who have given me so much support through the years.”

One News
"I'm really pleased to have this contract and I'll do everything I can to repay the faith the club has shown in me," he said

The three year contract will end after the Warriors' 2018 NRL campaign.

Warriors managing director Jim Doyle said it was important that the club kept Vatuvei.

"Manu is so important in an all-round sense to the Warriors. He's exceptionally popular with everyone inside and outside the club," said Doyle.

"We value what he means for us and what he also means to rugby league."

Warriors coach Andrew McFadden said Vatuvei's new contract is a remarkable feat.

"It's a tribute to Manu and a reflection of the regard we hold him in that he is set to extend his career to 15 seasons. That's an exceptional achievement," said McFadden.

"He is hugely important to our side and to the club as a whole. The contribution he continues to make is outstanding and he has certainly started this season very well," he said.

UATE
PLAYER STATS P T G FG AR ARM LB HU OL TK MT E
AVERAGE
0 0.5 0 0 12.4 0 0.6 0.2 0.5 3.8 1.4 0.9
2015 TOTAL 22 12 0 0 273 2954 14 5 12 83 30 19

Kenny Dowell
PLAYER STATS P T G FG AR ARM LB HU OL TK MT E
AVERAGE
0 0.9 0 0 14.2 0 0.6 1.5 1 5.5 0.9 1.1
2015 TOTAL 2017 0 0 284 2739 12 30 19 110 17 21