Post Match NRL 2016 - Rnd 1 - Tigers vs Warriors Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/15e9efbc18c8310daf480f360bedbb9a

WARRIORS coach Andrew McFadden must have a death wish.

Why else would you pick Blake Ayshford in the centres over the game’s most blockbusting outside back, Konrad Hurrell, for round one of the competition?

Ayshford played solidly, as he always does. Nine runs, 95m, but there were four missed tackles against Wests Tigers. At the same time, Hurrell was running around in NSW Cup on Saturday afternoon against Illawarra at WIN Stadium. What a waste of a sensational talent.

If for any reason Hurrell wasn’t ready to play in round one, that’s the coaching staff’s responsibility as much as that of the player.

The Warriors had everything going for them on Saturday against a Tigers side without halfback Luke Brooks and hooker Robbie Farah. Sure, they played well in the second-half comeback in what turned out to be the most exciting game of the weekend.

McFadden knows he has only six weeks to save his coaching career. He has to win at least three of the next five games and the Warriors play the Broncos and Storm in the next fortnight.

Surely, Hurrell has to be in the side.

Danpatmac

I'm just sick and tired of this type of shit:

We will have to learn from this
We just didn't turn up
We weren't expecting this
I can't put my finger on it
It was an attitude thing

Here is what anyone with an eye in their head can say:

You never learn from it, ever
You never turn up
We were all expecting this
Stick your finger up your arse, it's obvious
Yes it is an attitude thing... so dump the guys with shit attitudes

Yes it is an attitude thing... so dump the guys with shit attitudes
You need to know what that shit attitude is first.

They usually get away with it for so long because nobody can put their finger on it...

My thinking is there are a lot of Mateo's in the squad. I could be wrong, but it's a hunch all the same.

Reactions: ShaunJohnson7

I find Cappy's selections at time 'defeatist'. Listening to Jim Doyle it seems he is about bringing in top line players to supplement what we already have. Tuimoala Lolohea... Can you imagine the Tigers playing Brooks on the wing? The Broncos playing the Milf on the right wing? Sure, some of those guys get time at fullback or Hooker early in their career, but Cappy is infatuated with everyone being Laurie Daley or Brad Fittler, an outside back before giving them a chance. Sure, I thought the move of Shaun Johnson to 6 is a great move and he lit up that second half, but sooner or later we have to stop plugging gaps with journeymen. FWIW, I thought Ayshford wasn't too bad on the weekend. But I agree it's the article - there's something inherently wrong with the coaching when your best attacking runners (Hurrell, Kata and Vatuvei) still can't tackle and the best young half to come through the Warriors since Shaun Johnson is not trusted to organise a football team.

If my nads were on the line, I'd throw the dice. Get your best attackers in and sort out their shortfalls. The aim shouldn't be to be safe and scrape into the 8, it should be to dominate with your greatest dominating players.

Danpatmac

They usually get away with it for so long because nobody can put their finger on it...

My thinking is there are a lot of Mateo's in the squad. I could be wrong, but it's a hunch all the same.

I genuinely feel that these guys are satisfied being professional footy players... that is good enough for many of them.
They seem to be having so much fun all the time... yet they are losing.

The best players in any sport hate losing, they truly, truly hate it.

I don't see our club or players as desperate to win... I see them relaxed and having a good time almost all the time.

I would just love to see them care more... at least then I could feel proud.

I know I'm not part of the team and i'm not in the inner sanctum, just calling it how I see it.

Danpatmac

I find Cappy's selections at time 'defeatist'. Listening to Jim Doyle it seems he is about bringing in top line players to supplement what we already have. Tuimoala Lolohea... Can you imagine the Tigers playing Brooks on the wing? The Broncos playing the Milf on the right wing? Sure, some of those guys get time at fullback or Hooker early in their career, but Cappy is infatuated with everyone being Laurie Daley or Brad Fittler, an outside back before giving them a chance. Sure, I thought the move of Shaun Johnson to 6 is a great move and he lit up that second half, but sooner or later we have to stop plugging gaps with journeymen. FWIW, I thought Ayshford wasn't too bad on the weekend. But I agree it's the article - there's something inherently wrong with the coaching when your best attacking runners (Hurrell, Kata and Vatuvei) still can't tackle and the best young half to come through the Warriors since Shaun Johnson is not trusted to organise a football team.

If my nads were on the line, I'd throw the dice. Get your best attackers in and sort out their shortfalls. The aim shouldn't be to be safe and scrape into the 8, it should be to dominate with your greatest dominating players.

I'm in agreement to a degree.

Almost every player we have has major issues.
Many have the same issues which compounds the problem...

But I cannot agree with his selections and his idea of the best available 17

This is complete nonsensene, there was nothing wrong with his atitude.

Live I was a touch disappointed but re-watching I was happy with his contribution.

For the time he was actually in the game(57mins) we were completing sets, the shit defence caused a lot of extra metres of running, tiring most that were on the field.

When Nate came on it was a completely different game.

Did Friend play 57mins? Kept Friend LMAO.

You can not compare 2 completely different games with such a narrow focus and the truth is Friend has always made far more tackles but there are limitations to his game including his defence.
Bullys ceiling is far higher and off one game where our left fringe was absolutely abysmal with schoolboy like defence, you can't make a judment from it for many reasons.
Bullys D was solid and would have been slightly above his average 40 tackles for 80 minutes.

Knights also look like the spooners and don't have the current star power of either the Tigers or Titans.

1. Lillyman
2. Maumalo
5. Vatuvai

9. Friend

And honestly......who could blame you for thinking that when we continue to serve up the same pile of shit week after week and year after year....long since Mr Mateo has left.....

It amazes me how many people think Konrad will sort our defensive failures.
The real issue is our attack isn't good enough:meh:

The death squad will forever leak tries, its irrepairable.

And honestly......who could blame you for thinking that when we continue to serve up the same pile of shit week after week and year after year....long since Mr Mateo has left.....
Year but what player has a highlights package as good as this guy...

If we knew nothing about him, and had just signed him, we'd be watching this highlights package and thinking we'd just signed God...

Reactions: OMG
Whatever Justin Morgans defensive system is (haven't seen enough of it to work out what it's meant to look like) the players aren't delivering it.

I can't believe how staggered our line looks.

Something is horribly wrong, there seems to be an emphasis on one on one tackling (not saying that's the system just what's actually happening) and so the opposition are getting really fast play the balls.

The staggered line makes for free unopposed line breaks and overlaps for the opposition (same thing in the Dragons trial highlights).

The system Cappy used was infinitely preferable whereby the defence was condensed and we played offensively with aggressive line speed.

We gave up on that idea when we kept getting penalized for driving players backwards. I thought we gave up too soon and should have persisted in the fashion that highly penalized sides like the Roosters and Manly stick to their system regardless.

We are just not getting off the mark and winning the contact.

We're sitting ducks for second phase exploitation.

I think after looking at all the examples of inconsistency from individual players.....that you have to target the players first before you can really blame the coaches.

The Raw materials are not good enough.

Some of them may never be good enough.

If they held onto the ball and did the one percenters well.....then you could make an arguement that it's the coaches fault the systems aren't working.....as it is....you just can't tell....the personnel look incapable of delivering any system taught by any coach,

There are too many of the same type of player in this team.

Skill deficient.

The other thing that hasn'
You reckon Mannering is a chance to move to center when Sao comes back?
Hmm interesting call.....wot do u think ?

Back to the future.

I would have thought they would go through the full list of Center options first, I know they've used Benry at a pinch.....I get the feeling Simon would say yeah nah.

Also get the feeling their defensive Anchor was meant to be Our current backrow and just wouldn't want to meddle with the defensive part that is sort of working.....at all costs.

Reactions: OMG
Guys I know manu dropped the ball 2 times. but when you try like him things go wrong.....have a look at his stats for the game though
16 hit ups more then any other player in our team 151 meters made 2nd only the Roger Tuivasa-Sheck ...James Gavet had a great game and made 14 hit ups and made 138 meters for 1 drop so manu dropped the ball one more time then him. and he was our best player just wish manu could hold his wing..coach needs to go!!!

Hmm interesting call.....wot do u think ?

I am just interested in seeing if Mannering could calm things down on that right edge and to also help out Manu. I also wouldn't mind a big body in the middle, someone who can play as a third prop e.g. Sao, Gubb, RFM, Matulino

Something like this?

13. Sao
12. Hoffman
11. Thompson
10. Matulino
9. Luke
8. Gavet
5. Vatuvei
4. Mannering

Or like this:

13. Matulino
12. Hoffman
11. Thompson
10. Gavet
9. Luke
8. Lillyman
5. Vatuvei
4. Mannering

Reactions: Sup42
Actually thinking about it more you might want a speedster on that wing to compensate for Mannering, someone like Wells or Tui?

Jordan G

Guys I know manu dropped the ball 2 times. but when you try like him things go wrong.....have a look at his stats for the game though
16 hit ups more then any other player in our team 151 meters made 2nd only the Roger Tuivasa-Sheck ...James Gavet had a great game and made 14 hit ups and made 138 meters for 1 drop so manu dropped the ball one more time then him. and he was our best player just wish manu could hold his wing..coach needs to go!!!

But the coach dropped three less balls than Manu and Gavet combined.

A lot of the criticism isn't even about dropped balls. It's defense, defense, defense. Something we don't have and we desperately need.The dropped balls are just the icing on the "now is not the time to throw the game away" cake.

Reactions: OMG and Sup42

Jordan G

Year but what player has a highlights package as good as this guy...

If we knew nothing about him, and had just signed him, we'd be watching this highlights package and thinking we'd just signed God...

One day someone is going to put up a 4 minute highlight video of Mannering tackling.

Might only get a dozen views, but it would be nice for some variety.

• Haha
Reactions: Defence and OMG
I genuinely feel that these guys are satisfied being professional footy players... that is good enough for many of them.
They seem to be having so much fun all the time... yet they are losing.

The best players in any sport hate losing, they truly, truly hate it.

I don't see our club or players as desperate to win... I see them relaxed and having a good time almost all the time.

I would just love to see them care more... at least then I could feel proud.

I know I'm not part of the team and i'm not in the inner sanctum, just calling it how I see it.

Bang on! I see it that way as well. Most of us would cut off our left nut to be in these guy's position. But we still see them regularly gesticulating behind their team mates when getting interviewed on camera and pulling faces in team photo's etc it's school boy stuff!

Maybe Lowes right about the Bro culture, if the little bits we pick up on are any indication you'd have to be inclined to agree with him.

Some of these boys need to grow up, become men and stop acting like fuck'n children while their anywhere near that Warriors Club and if they can't, save it for when their at home with their friends and family.

Yes you are right there. But can we afford to lose the 150 metrs per game and 15 hitups that manu makes every game and a lot of times when we are stuck at our own line

51 tackles great effort!!!!

Reactions: mt.wellington