Team List NRL 2015 - Rnd 9 - Warriors Team Vrs Sharks

Game Information

01 Jan 1970 12:00PM

# Player Player #

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thompson needs to show much more too I've been an advocate and backed him but he needs to show more aggro and intensity, harder ball carries.. can't just get by on reputation no more, he needs a big game or I'd drop him and start Faitala-Mariner.. Thompson has underwhelmed to say the least.

I disagree on this one...

8 rounds, 325 tackles (second only to Mannering's 392 for the warriors), 81 hit ups, averaging 85 metres per game... he's got 30 hitups less than Hoffman but has made more than double the tackles...

I think he'd be showing more intensity with his carries if our right edge wasn't being targetted on defence IMO.

(for the record, Mannering is second on the list of tackles this season, Thompson is 6th in the NRL. the other 4 members of the top six are all hookers, followed by Peats and Elijah Taylor tied in seventh spot)

Last edited:
I disagree on this one...

8 rounds, 325 tackles (second only to Mannering's 392 for the warriors), 81 hit ups, averaging 85 metres per game... he's got 30 hitups less than Hoffman but has made more than double the tackles...

I think he'd be showing more intensity with his carries if our right edge wasn't being targetted on defence IMO.

Fair enough each to their own.. stats are one thing but I saw him carry that ball with vigour for the Tigers and absolutely snot mofos in defence ..both edges have been firkin hopeless but to me he looks a shell of the player he once was but I'm more then happy to be proven wrong

Reactions: Jay M
Fair enough each to their own.. stats are one thing but I saw him carry that ball with vigour for the Tigers and absolutely snot mofos in defence ..both edges have been firkin hopeless but to me he looks a shell of the player he once was but I'm more then happy to be proven wrong

I think he has got more to offer us than he's shown on attack. But right now, our right edge has been a shambles defensively and I think we'd have conceded a lot more points if he wasn't making the tackles he has been.

We know that right edge has issues on attack - Bukuya had issues running out there. It looks better when Tomkins is chiming in from the back and he's been injured this season. It looks better when there is consistent personnel there... so far the consistency this year has been Shaun Johnson, Thompson and Wright... with it seems a different centre each week... And Shaun Johnson hasn't been at his best...

I hope Thompson finds some more form on attack, but right now I'm happy with his workload defensively and I think he'd be doing more with ball in hand if he wasn't babysitting... We were all complaining when Bukuya was dropping off tackles last year...

Reactions: koolkat and mode81
Peyroux is a worker and he plays with enthusiasm and energy. That can be infectious, just like knocking the ball on as all our other centres have been doing.

I don't know if he would be better but I would like to see him get a run. I agree that its a waste of a bench spot but there really isn't any other option to cover the outside backs is there? Its not injury cover, its butters cover

We could try an all forward bench and if one of the backs gets hurt we could put Simon or Louis Brown to centre, that may work.:D

I think he has got more to offer us than he's shown on attack. But right now, our right edge has been a shambles defensively and I think we'd have conceded a lot more points if he wasn't making the tackles he has been.

We know that right edge has issues on attack - Bukuya had issues running out there. It looks better when Tomkins is chiming in from the back and he's been injured this season. It looks better when there is consistent personnel there... so far the consistency this year has been Shaun Johnson, Thompson and Wright... with it seems a different centre each week... And Shaun Johnson hasn't been at his best...

I hope Thompson finds some more form on attack, but right now I'm happy with his workload defensively and I think he'd be doing more with ball in hand if he wasn't babysitting... We were all complaining when Bukuya was dropping off tackles last year...

Too right bro I can live with that logic.. the amount of work he's been doing on d pretty much drains him from any semblance of attack he can provide at the moment.

Reactions: OMG and Jay M
Konnie is just a 10-20 minute player, use him off the bench defensive centres is what they need
They might not want him when the interchange drops to 6 or 8 next year. I wonder if Konnie to the forwards is what we should be thinking. In a fit team we have Laumape, Lolohea, Fusitua and we should target another top line centre.

On paper we look a better team than the Sharks but after the Titans match I have no confidence.

Move Tomkins to fullback, Lolohea to centre and it's close to our #1 team with injuries

Reactions: ace0fspades

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
I like Dom but having him on the bench is a waste of a bench spot. Put him in for Wright and move Vete to the bench looks a whole lot better.
I am of the opinion Dom is there to cover Hurrell, a must have iMO

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Ben Barba at Fullback. Valentine Homes back onto the wing.
Interesting to see Barba finally play where he always should have. He hasnt played nowhere near the heights he reached in 2012 when he won the Dally M but the potential for him to blow up again will always be there. Rather Barba there than Holmes who's been playing some fantastic footy lately. Real live wire with plenty of X factor. Should see a lot of kicks in behind Manu Vatuvei for Holmes to go after. On the flipside its a bit of a baptism by fire having Holmes the rookie marking the Beast. If Chad Townsend, Ryan Hoffman and especially Solomone Kata can feed the Beast its going to be greenhorn rape mode.

Sharks will no doubt follow the other teams blueprint and send Wade Graham straight down Shaun Johnson and Konrad Hurrell's throat. Double up the big boys on our right edge and we're in for a long game. Have Andrew Fifita targeting Bodenen Thompson and trying to off load to Wade. Sub on Sam Tagatese and rinse and repeat the same cycle. Hammer that right edge all day. As you can probably tell Ive lost all faith in our right edge.

Always like seeing former players come up against us so cant wait to see Jayson Bukuya rip in.

We have really sucked at Shark Park in recent years so Im not expecting much but hope we do annihilate the Sharks. Still basking in the ANZAC Test glow so it'll be nice if the Warriors continue that good vibe...

Sharks
1 Ben Barba
2 Valentine Holmes
3 Gerard Beale
4 Ricky Leutele
5 Michael Gordon
6 Jack Bird
7 Jeff Robson
8 Andrew Fifita
9 Michael Ennis (c)
10 Matt Prior
11 Jayson Bukuya
12 Wade Graham (c)
13 Luke Lewis

Interchange
14 Tinirau Arona
15 Anthony Tupou
16 Sami Sauiluma
17 Sam Tagataese
19 Pat Politoni

Coach: Shane Flanagan

Ben Barba will make his first start in Cronulla's No. 1 jumper with Valentine Holmes moving to the wing in place of Sosaia Feki. Chris Heighington's suspension sees him replaced by a returning Andrew Fifita while Sami Sauiluma will make his Sharks debut from the bench.

I like the inclusion of Dom and Raps so hope they cam add that missing X factor,
But take SJs performance on the weekend only adds to my argument that our go forward is missing mongrel.
Some players are natural rep quality but to rate SJs season so far and calling it mediocre is putting it mildly.

He comes out on Sunday and plays like a golden boot should and I can only put it down to the extra half second he gets from fast ball or the opening he sees from the extra half metre or the gap that opens from the aggression drawing in defence.
I love Mutts, like proper love!! And the Bull is a quality 10 metre man but we need an enforcer to scare defence.
This could be a front rower or a centre, maybe Konnie being fit now will be the answer, but something is not quite clicking for me up front.
IF we add spice in the go forward I believe we will see Shaun Johnson play a blinder this week.
AND we are getting ST back soon which again will be massive

Reactions: 2 people
Interesting to see Barba finally play where he always should have. He hasnt played nowhere near the heights he reached in 2012 when he won the Dally M but the potential for him to blow up again will always be there. Rather Barba there than Holmes who's been playing some fantastic footy lately. Real live wire with plenty of X factor. Should see a lot of kicks in behind Manu Vatuvei for Holmes to go after. On the flipside its a bit of a baptism by fire having Holmes the rookie marking the Beast. If Chad Townsend, Ryan Hoffman and especially Solomone Kata can feed the Beast its going to be greenhorn rape mode.

Sharks will no doubt follow the other teams blueprint and send Wade Graham straight down Shaun Johnson and Konrad Hurrell's throat. Double up the big boys on our right edge and we're in for a long game. Have Andrew Fifita targeting Bodenen Thompson and trying to off load to Wade. Sub on Sam Tagatese and rinse and repeat the same cycle. Hammer that right edge all day. As you can probably tell Ive lost all faith in our right edge.

Always like seeing former players come up against us so cant wait to see Jayson Bukuya rip in.

We have really sucked at Shark Park in recent years so Im not expecting much but hope we do annihilate the Sharks. Still basking in the ANZAC Test glow so it'll be nice if the Warriors continue that good vibe...

Sharks
1 Ben Barba
2 Valentine Holmes
3 Gerard Beale
4 Ricky Leutele
5 Michael Gordon
6 Jack Bird
7 Jeff Robson
8 Andrew Fifita
9 Michael Ennis (c)
10 Matt Prior
11 Jayson Bukuya
12 Wade Graham (c)
13 Luke Lewis

Interchange
14 Tinirau Arona
15 Anthony Tupou
16 Sami Sauiluma
17 Sam Tagataese
19 Pat Politoni

Coach: Shane Flanagan

Ben Barba will make his first start in Cronulla's No. 1 jumper with Valentine Holmes moving to the wing in place of Sosaia Feki. Chris Heighington's suspension sees him replaced by a returning Andrew Fifita while Sami Sauiluma will make his Sharks debut from the bench.
Did you see Bukuya's stats from the test? Beast mode, he's got it in him.

Reactions: mt.wellington
Hopefully Cappy watched the test and will play Johnson with more freedom. More minutes for Dom.....rotate him with Mannering and Thompson, keep em firing.

Status
Not open for further replies.