Post Match NRL 2015 - Rnd 9 - Sharks vs Warriors Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute
Hoff just keeps making me eat my words every time! (I didnt like the signing, what a fool I was!). This type of win, where they pull it out of the fire, was starting to be a myth with the Warriors! But against the Sharks they showed that you cant sleep on the Warriors, and the game is still there to be won until the final whistle. Shaun Johnson starting to click, just need to build on this over the coming rounds to stay in the 8 and move up

Kiwis made it a great week and the Warriors finished it with the perfect weekend, smiles all around.

Reactions: 1 user
A couple of points, just for the sake of being a naysayer...

1. Hoffman's charge down was epic, but he was also one of the defenders whose lame shoulder grabbing let Fafita in for his try. If just one of the tacklers had hit lower, I doubt the try would have been scored.

2. Tomkins would obviously boost our attack, but I dunno if he'd have made those brilliant tackles that Lolohea's done in the last two games. Definitely not the one from Saturday night.

A rule that someone will need to clarify... Mannering had that dumb penalty when he instinctively fell on the loose ball from an offside position, but later on I noticed Sharks players joining a tackle from an offside position. Is there a law I don't know about?

Can't remember which Warrior it was that gave a penalty away when his hand was trapped between the ball and the Shark's body, but hell that was smart play from the ball carrier. We should be trying that every opportunity we get - clamp your arm to your side as soon as you feel a hand. At the very least it'd be this mythical thing called 'ball security', at best a milked penalty.

Lastly, some bad news: I've done some quick calculations, and factoring in how much time gets taken off a Warriors fan's life expectancy after games like that, those of us who've been on board since 95 are due to snuff it before xmas. Get life insurance sorted, but ffs don't put down that you're a Warriors fan, or it'll be voided.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I actually thought this was bthe best backs performance this year. The forwards were consistent as usual. Some things need improvement, but they are mainly training ground and attitude issues. Ball carry (Kata), tackling and goal kicking.

One thing for me is how often Townsend seems to get isolated without support near him. I liked what the Sharks did with ball runners passing back before contact.

All in all a gutsy win. Hopefully Hurrell doesn't get hammered. You can't lift your knee, but at least it was a side on tackle which lessens culpability IMO, surprised if he isn't suspended though.

If Manu and Konrad are out who are the replacements. Fusitua, Maumalo and Allwood springs to mind.

I expect a further improvement this week.

Its prety much all been said. Not a pretty game to watch by any stretch of the imagination. But A win is a win and 2 more points!!!!!

2. Tomkins would obviously boost our attack, but I dunno if he'd have made those brilliant tackles that Lolohea's done in the last two games. Definitely not the one from Saturday night.

A rule that someone will need to clarify... Mannering had that dumb penalty when he instinctively fell on the loose ball from an offside position, but later on I noticed Sharks players joining a tackle from an offside position. Is there a law I don't know about?

Can't remember which Warrior it was that gave a penalty away when his hand was trapped between the ball and the Shark's body, but hell that was smart play from the ball carrier. We should be trying that every opportunity we get - clamp your arm to your side as soon as you feel a hand. At the very least it'd be this mythical thing called 'ball security', at best a milked penalty.
Well we saw Tomkins vs Barba last year. Lolohea did great work against the Titans the previous round pushing the player out; it wasn't the traditional fullback covering tackle but the result was what the team needed in getting the player over the sideline instead of scrambling back for the next tackle.

The play on the weekend was fantastic up there with Inglis's pull the player up over the try line while they were in the act of scoring. I didn't watch the Sunday Footy Show but hopefully the Matty Johns Show and NRL 360 highlight this play. If it was an Inglis or Slater pulling it off we'd be hearing a lot more about it. Fantastic piece of defensive work.

Your second point on the Mannering penalty. The best I can do is Mannering was wearing a Warriors jersey. Hey some of the penalties over the years have felt like that's an infringement.;)

I think the player caught with his hand trapped was Lisone. He got penalized for an incident like this. A lot of these are gamesmanship on both sides either trying to slow the play or the attacker trying to draw a penalty. Not sure if it the wrestling tactics causing this but it seems to happen more often now. Some instances It seems like the player is genuinely stuck; thought that instance should have been play on and the attacker has to suck it up and have a slower play the ball.

This area probably needs some discretion kind of like how they now pull teams back after offloading after not hearing the ref called held.

Just quietly, anyone remember what happened last time Barba got into the backfield against us?

I'm not sure our other fullback would've stopped that. Tuis come up with some pretty amazing plays already this year.
Agreed. Tui's confidence has bolstered with FG experience - mix this with his increased strength and tackling precision and we get that tackle on Barba.

Jez, to not only to catch him, but stop him in his tracks and pull him out of play? Just wow.

If Tomkins is back and Hurrell gets a hefty suspension (which hes bound for), I wouldn't mind Lolo lining up in the cetres next to Wright for next weeks clash with the Eels. These 2 were pretty solid together earlier in the season, and both have found some sort of form in recent weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
I actually believe if Konnie didn't brace Tupou would have broken Konnie's leg. Like Manu against Parra. Konnie doesn't brace. Serious injury could occur. Someone strong is basically diving at his legs. And yes he braced himself. I am happy for Konnie to continue bracing and cop whatever unnecessary suspension gets thrown his way. I just hope he doesn't change his running style over a freak accident.

I actually believe if Konnie didn't brace Tupou would have broken Konnie's leg. Like Manu against Parra. Konnie doesn't brace. Serious injury could occur. Someone strong is basically diving at his legs. And yes he braced himself. I am happy for Konnie to continue bracing and cop whatever unnecessary suspension gets thrown his way. I just hope he doesn't change his running style over a freak accident.

I absolutely hope he changes his running style...Konrad has very good footwork with excellent acceleration and top end speed, he should be trying to run around his opposition beating them with his skill, his power should be a bonus not his main weapon.

He's turning into a battering ram when he's got so much more in his game.

Reactions: 4 users
Hurrell comes from a long way to get involved in that tackle, he is so pumped up that he looks like he is about to climb into the crowd and start throwing hands. Shaun Johnson just grabs him and directs him back to the team huddle.
Just watched that in regards to Konnie, I'm wondering whether one of those feral Sharks fans said something because it looks like Hoffman says don't worry about it and pulls him back in. Then again it could just be my over active imagination.

How come no warriors plays made the plays of the week on nrl.com? Seriously fifitas made it, which was good but Hoffman/johnsons was a lot better even loloheas try saver was beast mode.

Reactions: 3 users
How come no warriors plays made the plays of the week on nrl.com? Seriously fifitas made it, which was good but Hoffman/johnsons was a lot better even loloheas try saver was beast mode.
Good question. How about Hurrell bumping off Tupou, definitely a highlight for me.
I absolutely hope he changes his running style
Pity Tupou is stupid enough to put his head on the wrong side and in the direct line of fire. Seriously, Tupou's tackling technique is far more questionable than Hurrell's running style.

Reactions: 2 users
I absolutely hope he changes his running style...Konrad has very good footwork with excellent acceleration and top end speed, he should be trying to run around his opposition beating them with his skill, his power should be a bonus not his main weapon.

He's turning into a battering ram when he's got so much more in his game.

Bang on the money bro, when people call him a Manu clone I have to laugh. If he used his footwork and speed more he would get into more half gaps which then his power takes cares of the rest. I really hope(surely they are) the coaching staff are pointing this out to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users