Post Match NRL 2015 - Rnd 21 - Warriors vs Sharks Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Who was our chief playmaker in the absence of Shaun Johnson?

• Tuimoala Lolohea

• Chad Townsend

• Sam Tomkins

Results are only viewable after voting.

phil.kingston

When are these guys going to accept the fact that we'll never win with our crap defence, and then do something about it?

Can you imagine how dominant we'd be if we had the defense of roosters (with Johnson in the team ofcourse)...I wonder whats required to get a team doing that. I mean, the roosters (JWH, FPN etc) werent exactly known for their defensive abilities. In comes Trent Robinson, and bang...best defensive side in comp. Same with broncos. They were pretty loose last year, in comes Bennett and suddenly they are the best defensive side (last weeks match not withstanding)....Is it just attitude? cant be right? 14 other teams dont have the right attitude? Apparently the Dragons rip in during training....but I wonder what sets the roosters/broncos apart from the Dragons

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
So… what did everyone think of the Lolohea 78th minute no try?

I think it was probably fair enough, couldn’t see shit on any of the replays but in all likelihood, comes loose, hits a shark, then goes backwards. You’d love to see a bit of a home town rub of the green, but we did get a goal line drop out from them correcting a call a few minutes earlier, so don’t think we were railroaded.

Thought maomalo’s try off the kata contest was a try, though, hits holmes fingertips, hits kata in the head, try.
Imagine trying a ‘bomb to kata’ though, can only assume chad was aiming for maomalo and missed by a mile.

Was a decently reffed game over all, warriors rewarded for their go forward with more than enough penalties, just couldn't do anything with them.

In the heat of the moment and because I support the Warriors I was screaming try, but on reflection the Sharks would have a right to be pissed had the Mannering try been awarded. Possibly may have been awarded had it been sent up a try.

Still a bit confused on the maumalol no try though

jonno

jonno

Can you imagine how dominant we'd be if we had the defense of roosters (with Johnson in the team ofcourse)...I wonder whats required to get a team doing that. I mean, the roosters (JWH, FPN etc) werent exactly known for their defensive abilities. In comes Trent Robinson, and bang...best defensive side in comp. Same with broncos. They were pretty loose last year, in comes Bennett and suddenly they are the best defensive side (last weeks match not withstanding)....Is it just attitude? cant be right? 14 other teams dont have the right attitude? Apparently the Dragons rip in during training....but I wonder what sets the roosters/broncos apart from the Dragons
Wrong thread I know, sorry mods...

Kerney knows how to coach a team to be amazing defensively. We saw that against the Roos in three games straight...

Kerney coaching the Kiwi's (59% win record, one world cup, two four nations, three in a row v Australia)

Kerney has studied under Bellamy (66%, 2 GF wins) and now Bennett (62%, 7 GF wins)...

Failed at the Eels, but has gone interstellar with the Kiwis since then so must have learned what he needed to learn...

Cappy has studied under Matt Elliot (44%, 0 GF wins) and David Furner (43%, 0 GF wins)... Both have left coaching to pursue other professions after being sacked mid season...

It's hard for players to follow the instructions of a guy they don't really believe in. Sure Cappy was able to do some things better than Elliot at first, but after watching Elliot make those mistakes, and seeing the players reactions, it wouldn't have been all that hard to change things and make people smile.
But now that we need to see him step up and deliver some quality of his own, he's falling well short on knowledge and experience.. I'm happy to keep cappy on as assistant coach, because he is very good at that.

But get Kerney over here ASAP IMO...

Reactions: 1 users

phil.kingston

Wrong thread I know, sorry mods...

Kerney knows how to coach a team to be amazing defensively. We saw that against the Roos in three games straight...

Kerney coaching the Kiwi's (59% win record, one world cup, two four nations, three in a row v Australia)

Kerney has studied under Bellamy (66%, 2 GF wins) and now Bennett (62%, 7 GF wins)...

Failed at the Eels, but has gone interstellar with the Kiwis since then so must have learned what he needed to learn...

Cappy has studied under Matt Elliot (44%, 0 GF wins) and David Furner (43%, 0 GF wins)... Both have left coaching to pursue other professions after being sacked mid season...

It's hard for players to follow the instructions of a guy they don't really believe in. Sure Cappy was able to do some things better than Elliot at first, but after watching Elliot make those mistakes, and seeing the players reactions, it wouldn't have been all that hard to change things and make people smile.
But now that we need to see him step up and deliver some quality of his own, he's falling well short on knowledge and experience.. I'm happy to keep cappy on as assistant coach, because he is very good at that.

But get Kerney over here ASAP IMO...

Im not so convinced Kearney is the answer...

1. If hes the one responsible for turning around the broncos defence, wheres it been for the last two years? Is it just a co-incidence that we won worldcup with bennett mentoring kearney, and then for years were rubbish (with essentially the same squad)....and broncos defence is solid just when Bennett is back. To me that says, take Bennett/Bellamy out and Kearny would struggle. And we have no Bennett/Bellamy to guide him.

2. I said this in one of the other topics, to me it looks like the Kiwis success has a lot to do with the squad at the moment than the coach (although I do admit he has a part to play). When you have Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Luke, Johnson, Foran....you are going to win a lot of games. Players making coach look good does happen aye. Could Ricky Stewart have won premiership at Roosters without Fittler. Hagan coached Queensland on the back of Johns successes with the Knights. IMO the kiwi squad is making Kearney look good.

Reactions: 1 users
Boats n Hoes

Boats n Hoes

Yeah I'd have major doubts that Kearney could transfer that Kiwi success to an NRL club....or even if that's a legitimate enough reason to consinder him....certainly couldn't at the Eels.

International to weekly club coaching is hugely different. You're dealing with the best of the best at rep level. I couldn't imagine Meninga with Queensland's dynasty and a team containing Cameron Smith, Thurston, Cronk, and Billy Slater has ever had to do a helluva lot of "coaching" as such. Mostly it's just about the making the environment/culture is right and picking up the balls at training. In fact guys like Mal and Kearney's best attribute at coaching at this level is probably the ability to step the fuck back and let the guns play footy.
Kearney I think has the luxury of having at his disposal the most balanced Kiwi team I can ever remember (certainly the strongest spine). Wether he has the ability to bring inferior players up to grade and play to a strategic succesfull game I have doubts.....for mine (unless we're getting a Bennet/Bellamy type) we're better off continuing the McFadden journey and hope he's a quick learner from his rookie mistakes which are bound to happen (ala Cleary).

jonno

jonno

Im not so convinced Kearney is the answer...

1. If hes the one responsible for turning around the broncos defence, wheres it been for the last two years? Is it just a co-incidence that we won worldcup with bennett mentoring kearney, and then for years were rubbish (with essentially the same squad)....and broncos defence is solid just when Bennett is back. To me that says, take Bennett/Bellamy out and Kearny would struggle. And we have no Bennett/Bellamy to guide him.

2. I said this in one of the other topics, to me it looks like the Kiwis success has a lot to do with the squad at the moment than the coach (although I do admit he has a part to play). When you have Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Luke, Johnson, Foran....you are going to win a lot of games. Players making coach look good does happen aye. Could Ricky Stewart have won premiership at Roosters without Fittler. Hagan coached Queensland on the back of Johns successes with the Knights. IMO the kiwi squad is making Kearney look good.
I think the Broncos head coach from last year had something to do with how the Broncos played.. Griffin was the man in charge...

And of course you need a great squad to beat the Aussies, but you also need great coaching to bring them all together...

Maybe we need to reward success, and a long apprenticeship, and give Kerney another shot at coaching a footy club?

Reactions: 1 user
jonno

jonno

In fact guys like Mal and Kearney's best attribute at coaching at this level is probably the ability to step the fuck back and let the guns play footy.
I reckon a coach who can step back is exactly what we need here at the Warriors... Someone who can relate to the players and make them feel like champions, without trying to over coach them...

Paleaaesina2the20

Paleaaesina2the20

Even with my bollocks on the chopping block, noone will convince me that playing the 2nd rowers and centres on the opposite side to their usual position was a good idea. I know what reasons they will give, and I am usually one of the first people to say "Cappy knows more than I" or "they have more information me, so it will be the right call". Not this time. How many times did Maumalo and Vatuvei touch the ball in the opposition 30? Were the lines our second rowers running effective, and if so did we have the right guys targeting the right people? The answers to those two questions are Never and No. We had the bomb to Manu and the short ball to Matulino. Jeff Robson is probably the best defensive half back in the NRL and he showed it. RFM ffs spent all his under 20 days and NSW cup days exclusively as a right hand second rower! I couldn't believe it when they used that layout, and its absolutely unforgivable that they stuck with it for 80 minutes.

Reactions: 3 users
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I cannot wait for a second NZ team from Wellington. how great that will be to support a real kiwi team, not this bunch of loses from 'somewhere land' who read their own press & think they are someone - they are no-one (outside of Auckland), 20yrs of this shit, seriously, take a long hard look at yourselves & give your pay cheque to a charity, the majority of fans have had enough, your a basket case- just admit YOU may finish 10th this year - next year YOU may be in the 8th , and the rest of us will follow the ALL BLACKS - REAL MEN WHO PLAY FOR REAL, FOR 80MINS & NEVER GIVE UP, WHO SUPPORT EACH OTHER (& WHO WE CAN RELATE TO), so - so over this crap being feed to us year in & year out- how embarrassing - just watch the haters come out now & say I'm not a real supporter - pigs ass,have a look what we have NOT achieved, EVER!!!
This isnt Facebook bro. Go hard...

Reactions: 1 user