Post Match NRL 2015 - Rnd 21 - Warriors vs Sharks Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Who was our chief playmaker in the absence of Shaun Johnson?

• Tuimoala Lolohea

• Chad Townsend

• Sam Tomkins

Results are only viewable after voting.

Xfactor

`
I don't think its worth talking about letting Cappy go yet.

Yes, we've had a shit run last couple of weeks, but look at our injury roster at the moment. Is there any other team out there with so many first pick players missing?

Gutted today that after all that first half pressure we only had 10 points to show for it.

I thought we played really well in the first half, apart from actually putting more points on the board.

I thought the try at the end was a try, but we shouldn't have needed that to win the game, should have been sown up long before.

I would really like to see Mannering talking to the refs more. Classic example was late in the 2nd half when it took an age for them to work out from the video that the Sharks player had knocked the ball over the touch line in goal and we get the drop out. Gallen and Ennis would have been up in the ref's face demanding he look at the screen. Mannering was stood 20 metres from the ref with his arm pointing at the screen. Get over to him in his face and tell him.

I did like the look of Lolohea kicking too. He looked very comfortable as a goal kicker
Agree with the 1st line of this post.
How many coaches are we prepared to dispense of to overlook the real issue?
And do we really want to send this message to our non-performing players....."it's not you guys...it's him"

Reactions: 1 user
jonno

jonno

I think you might be putting too much on Elliott's Manly comment. He was probably more referring to how Manly play smart and always make the defence think and work.

Townsend is a split halves kind of guy? If you listen too Gould or John's etc they are worried no halves nowadays can organise an entire field instead of just one side. Brian Smith wrote in RLW that split halves have been around since Warren Ryan's Bulldogs in the 80's; he listed some sides that have used it and some of his and why he employed it. The article a few weeks back about the option of moving Johnson to 6 and moving away from split halves was interesting as it wasn't the norm about just moving the player to the 6 jersey. Thomas Leuluai has been around for so long he may be one of the few halves that hasn't played just on one side of the field but used to work the whole field.

Can McFadden coach adlib football? That's a question we can ask most coaches; they tend to avoid that as they get less control on what happens on the field. It's risky as their jobs are on the line. Even Bennett changed after Langer retired the Broncos went from exciting football to mistake free football, now he's back at the Broncos coaching more expansive again.
I reckon the whole structure idea is wrong for our club, and any coach who tries to bring complex structure to us risks losing his job way more than a coach who goes for the ad lib approach...

Big mega sweeping back line moves with multiple block runners and sneaky decoys is never going to happen at the Warriors.. The coaching staff need to accept this as a fact and move on...

We should be thinking combos, instead of structure... Hooker/prop combos to upset the defense through the middle...

Halfback, fullback combos to open up holes...

Edge forward offloading to half back combos...

Center/Winger combos to carve up out wide..

That kind of shit..

Shaun Johnson miked up on Sterlo showed how his combos with his edge forward could get results...

Once our squad knows each others combos they'll all start feeding off each other and hey presto, ad lib Warrior ball dominates all...

Last edited:
  • Haha

Xfactor

hurrell had a good game, he looked peed off about Manu being out of position a couple of times on defence, one leading to a cronulla try. if he was peed off i wish he would say something he has every right its a team effort. the warriors realy pushed cronulla they had to pull a couple of tries out of their ass to win by two points and cronulla have been on a winning streak, not bad for a bunch of players out of position most with limited first grade experience. the more experienced players were more of a let down fr the warriors. mannering, break the line or draw in defenders before you go for the offload please. welcome back manu, hopefully you're better next week. sending good messages to the players for trying their nads off will do alot for our team, so get on twitter, facebook all that and let em know you appreciate the young guys efforts.
Our passing game is beyond description! Either we pass minutes too early to draw in a defender or we pass to Mr invisible. Or we pass 2 metres too short or long or at someones feet!
We are easily our own worst enemies.

Kalcod

As our passing was so woeful this week, over shoulder height, on the boot laces etc I think it would be a good thing if Cappy got the players to actually aim at the Vodafone badge on the front of the jerseys. give them something to aim at !!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

Watching Freddie's celebrity pass off.... The equivalent of some of the warriors passes last night from dummy half would be missing the entire board, or in Townsends case landing in front of the board!!

And every week Joey Johns has to throw a ball at the wall just to show off... Problem is every week he lands the bullseye!!! Usually followed by "that's immortal behaviour"

KiwiWarrior

I thought it was decent effort from a pretty young warriors team . Konrad Hurrell played really well yesterday I thought.

It's all about developing the squad for next year now anyway I suppose, but
At the death I thought the video ref no try was just a fair try
Shoulda won the game!

Or are we so conditioned to not in any way blame refereeing , that I shouldn't bring that up
We are the official pisstake of the NRL by now anyhow, next thing you know they'll be calling us a bunch of coconuts we'd probably lie down for it

jonno

jonno

Maybe Cappy was showing his hand for next year with Lolohea, RFM, Hurrell and Manu on the left edge...

Mega combos...

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

The Warriors played a very basic style last night. Thats not a mistake by McFadden, given the dynamo of our attack was out we needed to settle for a bit while Tuimoala Lolohea builds into it.

And it was all working out fine. But boy, some of those defensive plays beggar belief. RFM's attempt on Sam Tagatese was an out and out disgrace. Weak as piss. And then Manu Vatuvei... Manu Manu Manu. The thing that will stop you from being an immortal is you are mentally weak. That defensive play to come off the wing and open up space for Valentine Holmes was ... wow. So so so so bad. And something you have been guilty of your entire career. For someone who contributes so much good to the game and the club in general, those types of errors are schoolboy stuff to the point it nearly eradicates all your mountains of work. The dropped ball which was harder to drop than to catch off that chip bomb, disgraceful stuff at a key time. Of course, you nearly redeemed yourself with a line break that is almost Manu only material.

Sam Tomkins, now is time to prove that that massive pay cheque you are on is fair dinkum. Because lets be fair, to this point it hasn't been. For $750 quid a year you should be a dead set game breaker week in week out. Thats absolutely not what is happening. If there's space thats opened up there's few better in the game at tipping the ball on. But he has no running game. How did this dude have the try scoring record he had at Wigan? He's not that fast. He's weak as piss physically. He doesn't have a flash dummy. Memo to the Warriors, don't buy backs from the ESL again. The game is far too open and blokes don't adjust to this level of defence. He had a fairly poor game IMO. No threat with the ball in hand, that error was abominable, and he got caught in goal because he couldn't be arsed diving to the ground.

Chad Townsend, that lad has checked out big time. Some of his passing was abysmal. Especially the ankle cracker to Tui. Nathan Friend at times was the same. Ken Maumalo honestly, as much as a good runner he is, he can't throw the ball from dummy half. Two horror passes that killed all momentum.

Such a disappointment, because I thought the basis of our forwards stood up and set up the match to be won. Simon Mannering as always great, Ben Matulino terrific, Charlie Gubb and Sam Lisone brutal. Sebastine Ikahihifo tought in the middle. Of course Ikahihifo and/or Lisone/Gubb will be dropped because old mate Cappy loves to bring a bloke in for a game and then drop them back to NSW Cup for a month. No wonder blokes like Ikahihifo want out of this shit hole.

Reactions: 3 users

The Truth

Ok so just got back home after going up to watch the game.
A few points.
Townsend is a problem and was a problem at the beginning of the season when he was over calling Johnson. You can see the guys on the left are in a much better position yet Townsend continually calls for it himself, goes right and puts in a shitty kick when nothing is happening. Obviously Cappy moved Hurrel to make an attacking left hand option yet Townsend continually decided himself to go right. Surely this was on Chad and not part of the coaching plan.
Cappy needs to tell Townsend to back the fuck down. You aren't going to create.
The other thing that really fucked me off was kicking for goal. I don't know about anyone else but I shudder when I see any team deciding to take the 2. 90% of the time, it's a momentum changer. Both times we got into there 20 in the second half, we took the easy option, lined up for 2 points and ended up down the other end of the field under pressure giving the Sharks all the momentum. I believe a couple of repeat sets in those circumstances in the second half would have changed momentum in our favour and we would have eventually got points. Instead, we rolled over, admitted to the Sharks we couldn't crack their defence and got their backs up.

Reactions: 2 users
Maraea

Maraea

Our passing game is beyond description! Either we pass minutes too early to draw in a defender or we pass to Mr invisible. Or we pass 2 metres too short or long or at someones feet!
We are easily our own worst enemies.

sometimes i dont read posts properly either and you're right about the passing but HELLO - new positions, no Shaun Johnson etc. fark, of course shit like that is gonna happen. the effort was there and i'm happy about that. Miles better than a couple of years ago when it seemed some players were fucking around and not even trying - some of those performances pissed me right off as a supporter. But some of these young talents we have now I just hope for their sake that they experience more wins with the Warriors, that they make the finals for their sake. After however many years as a warriors supporter I want to support these guys because I want them to win - Not the nrl fuckers, not the franchise, not even the supporters, just the players and the coaching team. I really hope these guys make the finals

Last edited:
unclesteve

unclesteve

Ive been harping on about Townsend for what seems like forever, its time to go. I said before this game and Ill say it again....Fish to FB, ST to 1/2 and Townsend on the next fuck*n plane out.
There were some positives though, a lot more running, we chewed through the same amount of metres as the whole of last week in the 1st half. Lolo did really well and looks to be everywhere, Lisone is back baby. Gubb continues to impress. All this bodes well for next year.
We look much sharper when Havilli is out there.
Like many who posted before me I think Cappy has to take a lot of responsibility for this loss with some unfathomable positional changes.

Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
Loving the hate for Townsend. Sure he is no game breaker, but if you think we lost because of him you are kidding yourself. In the first half, he and Tomkins did enough to put us in a very commanding position. Forcing repeat sets, controlling the game. The Sharks have a very tenacious defence and they were right on there game in that respect. The second half our forwards didn't have the same impact and they targeted Manu, Konnie and RFM in attack, which inevitably led to defensive errors. The rearranging of our backline mystifies me. I cannot understand the logic. I also don't get the full on love for Tui. He did ok in his first game in the halves but has a lot to improve on to cement that spot. Good running game but weak on defensive effort and couldn't get the ball to Konnie or Manu (he's not alone there as Chad couldn't get it to Kata or Ken. He also had 49 receives to Chads 59 so not a lot in who dominated the play) I agree with others on here that he could be our most dynamic winger we have ever had.
The team that was named is probably our strongest we could have given the injuries. I didn't expect the mass musical chairs in the backline though. It should be close to the same named on Tuesday and while we are still in with a chance of making the 8 (we are only out due to points differential) we should continue with this team.
I hate to see the comments on Tui next season if he is in the halves. People are expecting way to much IMO and overhyping the poor lad.

surfin

surfin

My unhappiness is not so much about individual players, my hate is from an inability to change the game plan to play what's in front of you. It's easy to defend against a team that keeps doing the exact same thing every time they get the ball.

Reactions: 3 users

Far Away Fan

It looks like the centre-swapping may have been a decision made late in the week. This is from an article on Ken Maumalo published in the Herald on Friday. I know they're written in advance, but even so...

<<< "The Warriors right edge - that's been consistently changing week in, week out - will also see the return of Konrad Hurrell at centre and Maumalo knows just what he's capable of.
"He's a hard player to face," he [Ken Maumalo] added. "He's all action and I've got to try and run off him, push off him and support him as much as I can." >>>

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nrl/news/article.cfm?c_id=270&objectid=11489993

Last edited by a moderator:
Raurimu Massive

Raurimu Massive

Being an absolute tosser, I'd forgotten when the game was on, and promised to cook dinner on Saturday, which meant I missed most of the second half. Fucken lucky, really. Who knew a satay could act as pain prevention?

• Haha
Maraea

Maraea

My unhappiness is not so much about individual players, my hate is from an inability to change the game plan to play what's in front of you. It's easy to defend against a team that keeps doing the exact same thing every time they get the ball.

I actually felt momentarily disorientated during the first few moments of the game because there was so much change, including the game plan. I wasnt bored watching the game on Saturday either which was something i had complained about previously. Have you seen those Panthers? Theyre in a bit of a rut, injuries etc. they haven't got a shit show of making the 8 at this stage.

I hope the Warriors persist wth what they are doing as they still have a reasonable chance of making the finals.

Last edited:
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
So… what did everyone think of the Lolohea 78th minute no try?

I think it was probably fair enough, couldn’t see shit on any of the replays but in all likelihood, comes loose, hits a shark, then goes backwards. You’d love to see a bit of a home town rub of the green, but we did get a goal line drop out from them correcting a call a few minutes earlier, so don’t think we were railroaded.

Thought maomalo’s try off the kata contest was a try, though, hits holmes fingertips, hits kata in the head, try.
Imagine trying a ‘bomb to kata’ though, can only assume chad was aiming for maomalo and missed by a mile.

Was a decently reffed game over all, warriors rewarded for their go forward with more than enough penalties, just couldn't do anything with them.

jonno

jonno

When are these guys going to accept the fact that we'll never win with our crap defence, and then do something about it?

Is that ever going to happen?